my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Anni-versary

For our anniversary, Bud took me out to lunch at Niko's Steakhouse. There was an ulterior motive behind his choice...he was hungry for a steak!! I had chosen from the menu, the margarita lime broiled salmon steak with rice pilaf. We had a good meal, and a promising chance for a relaxing quiet day afterward. Tonight, dinner for us, since we're stuffed to the gills with all the rich food from the restaurant, we stopped at the grocery store's deli and picked up a chef salad and hard rolls. Also, a single serving of the rich carrot cake. If you've ever had the deli's carrot cake from the Texas stores, you know just how good they are! Rich and filled with currants, nuts, carrots, raisins and just a thin amount of cream cheese frosting. Pleases me...no cooking for me and for Bud, very little cleaning up and no loading the dishwasher.

Over the weekend, on Saturday, all day, we painted the spare bedroom!! I should say, Bud painted most of it...I only did around the baseboard. The room went from a shabby golden yellow and black decorum to a beautiful rich smoky blue. In this particular room we have a lot of antiques, the bed frame and matching vanity. The hard rock maple rocking chair. A couple of antique kerosene lanterns and reflectors. A penny-nail-keg made into a night stand with an antique lamp. Plus several of Bud's wooden carving caricatures. Plus cactus walking sticks he made from cactus ribs and decorated with Native American 'trinkets'. The very large oil reproduction is a Charles Russell painting...



...Mother's Day was spent on the islands, enjoying the sea breezes and the salt air!! We visited a few birding spots also, and being that it WAS Mother's Day I thought these two photos shows a bit of what the day is all about for some birds....nesting...and building a nest. These are Black Neck Stilts. In the one photo a mother is ON the nest while the father is busying about protecting and searching for food. He feeds her during nesting season, and/or at times sits on the nest while she goes about her exercising...the other photo is the mother's and father's building nests in anticipation. In the evening, tonight, I choose the movie to watch: Primal Fear with Richard Gere and Laura Linney --AND, a favorite of mine... Edward Norton!! A good intense crime drama involving a murder and pycho!! With a fabulous climax.





18 comments :

  1. Glad you had a nice anniversary and Mother's Day. Like your choice of blue for the new paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary Annie and Bud! Sounds like a full day of pleasure. I like that shade of blue. A little paint can make a room look entirely different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great anniversary and mother's day. I always like the idea of having a big lunch and then something small later in the day and of course no dishes to wash is always a plus.

    I like that color blue you chose. It looks great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! Sounds like you had a Mary Poppins kind of day.... you know, practically perfect in every way!
    Love the room re-do, it sparkles now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary! Your lunch sounds delicious. The Black necked Stilts are lovely birds, always a pretty sight to see. Enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary. What a delightful sounding lunch. If we eat out at lunch, we enjoy a light supper, too and it is so easy to clean up afterward! The blue paint is very soothing and the furniture is gorgeous. Painting is one of my least favorite things to do! Wishing you a very enjoyable evening. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had a nice Mother's Day, Anni. The meal sounds delicious and the carrot cake sounds divine.

    I absolutely LOVE your new room decor. Way to go. Very lovely.

    Take care. I published another post yesterday. If you have time, drop by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had a nice Mother's Day, Anni. The meal sounds delicious and the carrot cake sounds divine.

    I absolutely LOVE your new room decor. Way to go. Very lovely.

    Take care. I published another post yesterday. If you have time, drop by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you've had some nice days! I like those birds - very interesting.
    The blue looks great!
    Happy Anni-versary! (that was cute too)

    ReplyDelete
  10. happy anniversary, love the smoky blue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy anniversary to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I have never seen birds like these Stilts before! Wonderful pictures! I am so glad you had a wonderful evening! I have not seen this movie, but i know Norton from other films. And of course who doesn't love Gere? Maybe I will see if I can get it on Demand, I want to see it now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful room you've got now. And yes, as the others have said, happy anniversary and glad you had such a great feast together. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh goodness, I adore that shade of blue! I'd put all through my house if I could, well almost anyway. Cute photo for your Happy Anniversary and the birds for a Mother's Day special, very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cannot believe it!!! First of all - I LOVE your guest room! The color - the furnishings - the decorations! ALL of it!!!
    Second - Happy Anniversary to two very special love birds!
    Third - I brought a few movies with me to the ranch and Primal Fear is one of them I plan to watch tomorrow and I have never seen it before!
    Fourth - Carrot Cake is my all time favorite cake and we plan a quick trip into Waco to the HEB where I hope to buy a cake or slice to enjoy with my movie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. your new blog look and header is beautiful, really beautiful. and I like your NEW old bedroom. i love oil lamps and i see two of those and also love the chair and dresser. my grandmother had a dresser much like it... your anniversary sounds good to me... Happy Belated Anniversary..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a wonderful anniversary celebration, Anni....I love salmon and would have chosen that as well. I love the blue in your guest room, so I'll just stop over sometime! The birds are so unusual with those longggggg legs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, I missed saying Happy Anni-versary, but you have my wishes for a wonderful year ahead! Sounds like you had a good celebration, and I LOVE the new blue color. It makes your lovely furniture pieces just pop! Awesome make over!

    ReplyDelete

.