How High's the Water Mama? ---



...TWO FEET HIGH 'n' risin'!!! Our brick mail box that you can see along the street/river...is 18 inches at the flower box level...the water was nearing the front porch with an incline on the sidewalk, higher than the street itself...pretty darned deep it was!!

Last night before going to bed, I checked the weather app on my phone since the clouds in the sky had become a bit ominous looking. There was a huge text on the app regarding a severe flood/tornado warning. Along the coastal counties of South Texas, a predicted 10-15 inches of rainfall was expected overnight. We went to sleep, but around 330 this morning, I woke up to pee and the power was off. Pitch black in the house. And it was raining. I went out in the garage, and lit a candle to not disturb Bud...and looked out the windows of the garage door...Lordy....to my surprise it was like a virtual lake outside. The wind was howling, the trees bending and debris flying off the limbs!! Nearly a tropical storm. Thing is...the water accumulation was up TO THE GARAGE!! A miniscule amount was coming in from under the door.

I was wide awake by then. I didn't set the camera on night time setting, I just grabbed the camera and sneaked out on the front porch to hopefully get some shots in the dark, without flash; just a 'normal' setting---



Bud said, after he got up, that the clocks were flashing at 12:45 a.m. and the power didn't come back on until about 8 this morning. I haven't checked the freezer if anything thawed [we didn't open the 'fridge door so all should be okay]. It is amazing tho, how little things like a light switch and a cold drink of water or a cup of coffee [for Bud] is all taken for granted.

The warnings prevail 'til midnight tonight for our county...hopefully, tho, the worst is over.
I probably won't be online much if the power goes out again.

21 comments :

  1. It ain't over until it's over...Mother Nature still rules. The flooding is really scary, though. Be safe and try to enjoy the ride (at least a little bit!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh Anni, that's quite a flood. I hope the worst is over and you don't have water damage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I hope the worst is over, too!! I'll be holding good thoughts for you, Anni!! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh Annie, be careful out there.in the dark with all that water. How scary. It is so early in the season too isn't it? Yikes. I will be thinking of you and watching the weather news. Our colorado kids have been getting inundated by rain too, hoping for no repeat of their flooding of a couple years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does look like a lake out there, not a sight you want to see. Be safe and be dry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My GOODNESS!! That's a lot of water!!!! Do you often have problems with it coming in the house? We have had a LOT of issues with that in the past but thankfully LD has dug enough ditches and installed French drains and done other things to fix it. Our neighbor did a walk through and our house is fine. We are stranded on the ranch and can't even drive up to the gate it is so muddy and we have had so much rain! I am not complaining! But YOUR lake looks scary!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my....way too much water. There has been lots of water where we used to live up at Whitney TX, but not so much in the Hill Country.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen pictures like yours on the news Anni. I hope the rain stops and the water recedes. That lake does look scary! I hope you stay stay and dry in your home..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stay safe. That is way too much water!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh NO! I am so glad you are safe and have power now! Hopefully the water did not get all the way into the garage, but what a sight you must have seen. I am sure your food will be good because you did not open the door. They say it will keep for a whole day if you keep the door shut. We have lost all our food more than once, both fridge and freezer. Costs a fortune to replace it all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anni, I pray you all will remain safe. Your photos are frightening. We were without power in Feb. due to ice and it is no fun. Take care and update as you are able.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stay safe Anni and Bud! Hope you have a canoe or jonboat stashed away somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow you do have a lake down there. Yes we are all very spoiled to habits. Our water was off for five hours last week due to a new fire plug being installed on the next street. Amazing how I wanted to mop the kitchen but when the water was back on, did I mop it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, my goodness! I would not want to look out the door and see that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you can stay safe and dry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. that's a lot of water. Looks like you'll be needing your hip waders to get the mail. Hope the rain stops and water recedes quickly. We never realize how much we rely on electricity until the power goes out. The one time it went out I was making dinner and I thought no big deal since we have a gas stove. I didn't take in to consideration that it has electronic ignition so I could use the cook top but not the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! That is a whole lot of water, all right. Hope it stops soon so you can begin to dry out. There's been terrible weather in your part of the country lately. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anni, we got our deluge last night. Thank goodness Joe got the yard mowed over the weekend because it is like a swamp out there now. How I wish I could share some of this with drought stricken California!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hope you are dry soon, that is a scary amount of water.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OH MY WORD ANNI THAT IS JUST PLAIN SCARY. I HOPE AND PRAY IT RECEDES AS QUICKLY AS IT ROSE.
    Hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some nasty weather out there! Glad you are safe and hope the water didn't get any deeper for you! I'm trying to catch up on everyone's news, missed last week while we were away!

    ReplyDelete

.