my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


The Rains Came...

Tuesday was such a beautiful day!! Deep blue skies, puffy white clouds...a mild temperature with the high in the mid 70s. A perfect Spring day. Early in the morning, with the sunrise just minutes ago, I drove to the beach and enjoyed searching for a migrant sea gull. The Franklin's Seagull. And hopefully, some that are in breeding colors. Yes, the Franklin's Seagull has a hint of pink when in breeding plumage. After the beach I drove to Packery Channel's Audubon Sanctuary and walked the boardwalk....I enjoyed the quiet morning and didn't want it to end....but, had to get to the store eventually and back home, so I left. Of course the camera's card was full of photos!!

Then, yesterday morning, the clouds had moved in...Gray skies, very humid, and I found myself back to the bird sanctuary. The gloom of the day after was so different. Distant thunder and the gray turned an ominous black. I witnessed droves of seagulls, what birders call a 'fallout', leaving the area. A storm was heading my way. Few birds stuck around, I got stuck under a gazebo to wait out the heavy rainfall. While under the protection of the roof, I watched a red breasted grosbeak, an indigo bunting, an oriole, and two young squirrels at the orange and seed/corn feeders. The rain let up, so I covered my binoculars and camera and made my way back to the car, driving home. The storm had let up by the time I reached closer to home, and I stopped at Lakeview Park to see if there were any special birds to photograph. Across the street from the park, in an open field, I walked and found seagulls, egrets, dowitchers, terns and others feeding in the standing water from previous storms. Turning back and heading for the car, as I walked along the sidewalk on the opposite side of the street, I snapped this image of THREE fences coming together at one corner.....



Around lunch time, about 12:30/1 pm...the heavy black [and I do mean BLACK] clouds broke open and the flooding began...


...view from the garage, looking to the street


Our yard...flooded back yard...and our mail box partially immersed in flooded street. There is street and sidewalk under all that water.


There IS grass under the water...at our gate.  And the rainfall is of the morning storm at Packery Channel's Audubon Bird Sanctuary.


The rain came in heavy downpour for about 40 minutes, ceased and the street was soon drained of the flooding. But, what remained until 10 pm was tornado warnings.

25 comments :

  1. Wow, that is a lot of rain.. It does not look safe to drive a car on the flooded street.. I hope the water has receded by now.. Great fence shot.. Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY goodness! What a LOT of rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rains definitely came! So glad you were safe! You should have seen the Great Scot's face the first time he faced a thunderstorm here... he'd never seen anything like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we get rain, it's seldom like this. We get light drizzle most of the time, and sometimes drenching rain but only in patches. That's why we don't get more inches of rain annually. You probably got our annual average in 40 minutes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of rain, for sure. We have been so fortunate in Texas this spring to get the rain. But we want no rain in Port A this weekend for our girls weekend. The sand castles might not last long in a downpour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh. Free car wash! That is not fun, I know! Great shots of it though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, that's a lot of water and quickly! glad it drained off as quickly, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a terrible weather at your end!
    Hope this goes by soon, would love
    to see your mailbox more closely :))
    Great fence picture catch!!! :))
    And I can't wait to see all your pictures
    you stuffed onto the poor card :)))

    Have a great day!
    Tinna ✐

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terrific, stormy shots, Anni!! They do bring back memories of my years in Texas -- too much rain all at one time!! Not my favorite way to wash a car! Hope you get some sunshine for the weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Golly gee I surely wish the weather would calm down. It has been the wettest 6 months I remember in a long time. Tuesday, Wed and today are our first consecutive days of sunshine in a very long time. But that will change tomorrow.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Referred via Good Fences #57 Run*A*Round Ranch Report

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That was some rain! Great fence shot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So how far away did the tornado pass? I am glad you are alright. We got a tornado watch, but no warnings. Your poor yard! And the water is gone now? So fast! Spring is a season in transition and crazy things can happen. I love those three fences and have never seen the like!! You have a good eye to have spotted it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, Anni, the flooding is awful!! I hope that's the worst it ever gets for you! Tornado warnings are even more alarming. Stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow you did have buckets of rain. we had a tornado watch the other night, something that hardly ever happens in Pa.

    glad you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh that was a lot of rain. So glad you didn't get a Tornado too and that the rain water dispersed quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you had such a beautiful day before the rains moved in. Pretty neat capture of three fences converging.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rain events like that sure can do damage. Glad you weren't hit worse! What a fence photo! Great angle shot. (It snowed here this am - YES!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. We had a lot of rain too. As soon as it starts to dry up so we can ride around at the ranch it comes again. Haven't even got to check on the baby hawks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh wow, that's a lot of rain. glad to hear it drained off already.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my! That is a lot of water!
    I was working with our Dr today - I told you about him because he's an avid birdwatcher. I told him about your banded bird and pulled up your photo on my computer so he could see it. He knew it was endangered and was impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a lot of rain! You had a fence lullapalooza too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dramatic photos, Anni! We had severe downpours and lightning. Nomally, Theda never comes upstairs...but the lightning was too much, and up she went for some comforting.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, that's a lotta rain.... Love storms such as these, as we get them quite often too, even when they're a bit scary *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! That's some impressive rains. We've been awfully dry this spring, but we've had some rain this past week too. Luckily, no flooding with it though.

    ReplyDelete

.