MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Art of a Different Kind...

One for the money:  February 9th is my birthday. I'm now able to get a senior discount on my tax return. LOL And it's the one day of the year my diet consists of fried foods. Each year on my birthday I relish in FRIED SHRIMP!! Can't wait. Anyway, I thought I'd just post a variety of images to share since I'm not gonna be home much in the  next couple of days.



Yes, flowers still bloom in winter here if they are protected by buildings or wooded tree covers. Scarce but still blossoms can be found.



TWO for the show: By the way... I'm not the only one in our household that draws! In fact we've all had our HAND in the 'inkwell'.  Erik, Irene and even Bud have taken to the pens and pencils in the past!

While cleaning out the drawers this past week during the cold snap when it was continually gray and rainy outdoors....I found some more treasures of a different kind. I'm gonna share them. Am I boring the daylights outta all'ya? :::Yawn:::

Tough.

LOL

Here goes:

Bud will get inspired every once in a blue moon and take a scrap piece of my sketch pad, cardboard, notepaper scraps, you name it...and sketch. A little bit of background on this before I show you his work. He draws the same character over and over. With a little twist added to each. This one, it's his caballero holding his registered cow branding iron. Yes, his brand IS registered. In Colorado!!! He continues to pay the fee each year. Dunno why, but he does. Okay, so you now realize his 'dude' is always drawn in nearly the same manner; same over-sized hat, same long sooty hair, mustachioed, and same bulbous nose.  This one [among others], I've kept. It's actually sketched on a piece of cardboard.  Whenever he takes a notion to draw, he chooses the  nearest 'canvas'.  I've dubbed Bud's caricature Tom "Bull" Weed [tumbleweed]---


Then, Irene. She used to draw a lot of cartoon characters. I have saved [but can't find right now...must be in my art portfolios] Odie and Garfield. But this one I did find and will share. Of a clown!! Long ago, they didn't bother her much. Now that she has aged [and seen the Stephen King movie "It"] she doesn't like clowns all that much. The author really honked it on her...




Erik took his skill to another level when in High School. He even competed and won awards, blue ribbons, with his work. But, when just a lad his drawings were of dinosaurs, missiles and volcanoes mostly. Every once in a while he'd draw a more 'docile' image. Of which I saved...



...then, he became a serious, enthusiastic, artist of a different kind; of drafting in high school. At one time in his education days when he was home, I had it pictured he'd become a world renowned architectural engineer. Just a mother's fantasy!! This is one he entered in a contest and won. I seriously cannot remember what it was of tho. The subject is unknown to me now.



Three to get ready: This was a birthday surprise from several years ago. Bud purchased it for my celebratory gift one year when we were touring the Catholic Mission outside of Tucson, AZ on the reservation...The mission, nicknamed "The White Dove of the Desert", in reality it's San Xavier del Bac. I honestly can't remember if he bought it for me at an craft/jewelry show that the Native Americans hold in the outdoor arena of the grounds or in the gift shop. Ironically, a bird!! A cardinal made of coral set on onyx, with turquoise leaves and silver stems. I've worn it every birthday since!


...and FOUR TO GO!! For Shrimp that is!

My Annual Shrimp Basket [I shared this a few years back already!]

60 comments :

  1. Happy Birthday in advance!!!! Lots of artists in your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great birthday! I will make this short because the Internet in the Amsterdam airport sucks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday. Have a great day tomorrow and enjoy that shrimp. Love all your family art

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a happy Birthday Anni! I love Bud's drawings.. And the flowers are lovely.. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday tomorrow Anni! I think your birthday traditions are great.
    Loved seeing the whole families artwork. You're a talented bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Advance Happy Birthday, Anni. Wish you very happy and blessed days ahead.

    Enjoy your time with joy...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed looking at your blog and see that we are practically neighbors! I live on the gulf coast also - Southeast Texas.
    Hope you have a very Happy Birthday and enjoy some good fried shrimp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Jeanne. Nice to meet another Texan.

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday in advance dear Anni :) hope you have a great time and enjoy the fried shrimp :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you a very happy Birthday Anni for tomorrow. Love all the pretty flowers, and your birthday gift of the Cardinal broach,which I know you will be wearing. Oh, enjoy the shrimps too, and have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday, Anni! Enjoy your shrimp and cholesterol being danged!! . LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. we are enjoying our 30th anniversary today, one day before your birthday. Happy Birthday a day early and i love a shrimp basket.. great idea to have it once a year.. pretty ring, enjoy your day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Sandra...hope you had a great anniversary.

      Delete
  12. forgot to say you all have drawing talent and i like the mustache guy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Happy Early Birthday Anni...now we are the same age!!
    I loved the early etchings from your family treasures.
    Now I want shrimp...no gravy needed on those beauts.
    Hugs Cecilia and Madi

    ReplyDelete
  14. An early Happy Birthday for you on your special day tomorrow. What a delight to have something like your special birthday meal to look forward to all year long, really makes the day bright. I always give my children and now their children a whatever your choice for birthday dinner and cake is this year! I do like his scribbles, very creative artist at play really. I wish I could say we have blooms hiding in warmer places around here. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and it was nearing 80 degrees yesterday. I'm loving this time of year.

      Thanks Karen.

      Delete
  15. Happy Birthday Anni! Enjoy that Shrimp basket :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday to you. I wish all the things that make you happy come overflowing on your day :)

    Those flowers are very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy, Happy Birthday, Anni!! I, too, LOVE shrimp, so eat a lot -- for both of us!!! I do love your colorful flowers!! About the only color you can see around here is GRAY!! and WET, of course!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I love your beautiful red Valentine background! So these flowers are from NOW? Unbelievable, we have no flowers anywhere. I love the pansy best. So where do you go for the awesome shrimp? You must have incredible willpower if you eat no fried foods the rest of the year. You are ALL so talented! I couldn't even draw a stick figure to save myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny...
      There is a little local restaurant on the beach that have fresh shrimp. Love it.

      Delete
  19. Happy Birthday and enjoy your shrimp!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for showing your family's art. I really love Tom and would bet you could fashion him into a stuffed rag doll. Wouldn't that be a hoot? Enjoy your birthday and fill up on whatever you like. You sure have control to wait an entire year for a favorite treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of making a doll from his sketches. At my age, too much work involved. LOL...I'm lazy anymore. Thanks Ms. G

      Delete
  21. Happy Birthday, Annie....granddaughter's is tomorrow, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday to anther February girl. Mine birthday is the 12th three days after you. I will then turn 55 years old.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy birthday!! That shrimp looks SO good! Love the photos and the drawings you shared. Lots of talent there!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Birthday for the 9th. Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  25. First I want to wish you a nice day tomorrow for your birthday. I like all the sketches. John has his brand registered here in Texas and it is on the wall of a restaurant in Devine, Texas along with many more. His is J O but he doesn't brand his cattle anymore and is going to leave the brand to his oldest son.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love all of this art!! I hope you have an amazing birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Birthday, Annie. I'm imagining you getting gussied up, wearing your ring, and trying not to get grease on the front of your blouse! It's the start of a sunny day here in CO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AT my age, I'm way beyond the 'gussying up'!! A good pair of jeans and a sweater is my ideal garb anymore. Or at home, a pair of sweats. lol

      Thanks Barb.

      Delete
  28. Happy, happy birthday to you....quite a lot of talent in your family. And I have been to that lovely mission years ago. Enjoy that fried food....I need some fried shrimp and fried clams and will partake when the warm weather comes....months from now!

    ReplyDelete
  29. The flowers are beautiful! I loved seeing the artwork of the rest of your family, especially Tom Bull Weed, and the architectural drawing. Wow! Really enjoyed them.

    So, it's your birthday! Fried shrimp is one of my grandson's favorite foods, just under sushi. We have to watch him carefully that he doesn't get either too often, because we worry about mercury. I would almost do anything for some decent seafood at this point (almost four years in Tucson!) :-) I hope you have a wonderful birthday celebration!

    Love the gorgeous coral cardinal. What a lovely birthday surprise!

    ReplyDelete

.