“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW





Cupid's Arrows - aka- This'll Hit You Where You L♥ve

True stories that I found online. I take no credit whatsoever for these, but since the day of love is so near to us in time, I thought I'd do some searching for fun and share something that would be pertinent to Valentine's Day. Here we go:

 ♥ ♥ As Valentine’s Day approached, I tried to think of an unusual gift for my husband. When I discovered that his favourite red-plaid pants had a broken zipper, I thought I had the “perfect Valentine.” I had the pants repaired, and gift-wrapped them. On the package I put a huge red heart on which I printed: “My Heart Pants for You.” I was the surprised one, however, when I saw the same heart taped to our formerly empty, but now overflowing, wood box. On it he had written: “Wood You Be My Valentine?”

 ♥ ♥ About a year had passed since my amicable divorce, and I decided it was time to start dating again. Unsure how to begin, I thought I’d scan the personals column of my local newspaper. I came across three men who seemed like they’d be promising candidates. A couple of days later, I was checking my answering machine and discovered a message from my ex-husband. “I was over visiting the kids yesterday,” he said. “While I was there I happened to notice you had circled some ads in the paper. Don’t bother calling the guy in the second column. I can tell you right now it won’t work out. That guy is me.”

 ♥ ♥ My high-school English teacher was well known for being a fair, but hard, grader. One day I received a B minus on a theme paper. In hopes of bettering my grade and in the spirit of the valentine season, I sent her an extravagant heart-shaped box of chocolates with the pre-printed inscription: “BE MINE.” The following day, I received in return a valentine from the teacher. It read: “Thank you, but it’s still BE MINE-us.”

 ♥ ♥ Every Valentine’s Day our campus newspaper has a section for student messages. Last year my roommate surprised his girlfriend with roses and dinner at a fancy restaurant. When they returned from their date, she leafed through the paper to see if he had written a note to her. Near the bottom of one page she found: “Bonnie — What are you looking here for? Aren’t dinner and flowers enough? Love, Scott.”

 ♥ ♥ Laurence and Lena began working at the same place in 1956, but it took months for Laurence to work up the nerve to ask Lena out. He was afraid that she would never consider dating an African-American man, particularly in a time when blacks were not even permitted to drink water from the same fountains as whites. But when Laurence finally talked to Lena, he realized he shouldn’t have worried. “She didn’t look at me as black; I didn’t look at her as white,” Lawrence said. “Our hearts,” Lena added, “didn’t know the difference.”


♥ ♥

Heart Glass

♥ ♥


Valentine's Day. It means love!! Amoré!!

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amoré.

When an eel bites your hand and that's not what you planned
That's a moray.

When our habits are strange and our customs deranged
That's our mores.

When your horse munches straw and the bales total four
That's some more hay.

When Othello's poor wife, she gets stabbed with a knife
That's a Moor, eh?

When a Japanese knight used a sword in a fight
That's Sa...mur...ai.


♥ ♥

Mice in Love

♥ ♥


Love through the eyes of a child

“You really shouldn’t say ‘I love you’ unless you mean it. But if you mean it, you should say it a lot. People forget.” Jessica – age 8

“Love is when your puppy licks your face even after you left him alone all day.” Mary Ann – age 4

“If you want to learn to love better, you should start with a friend who you hate,” Nikka – age 6

Leo Buscaglia once talked about a contest he was asked to judge. The purpose of the contest was to find the most caring child. The winner was a four year old child whose next door neighbor was an elderly gentleman who had recently lost his wife. Upon seeing the man cry, the little boy went into the old gentleman’s yard, climbed onto his lap, and just sat there. When his Mother asked what he had said to the neighbor, the little boy said,
“Nothing, I just helped him cry.”



♥ ♥

Dining Room Table

♥ ♥


Now, hoping you know what a rebus puzzle is...if not, I'll try to explain. You view the images and combine them to make sense in words...

Can you figure out my message to you by this rebus puzzle I made especially for you?



26 comments :

  1. Love all of these "love-ly" anecdotes! Great way to get in the proper mood for Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelly...thanks for stopping in to visit with me today.

      Delete
  2. I love it ALL... especially the first five stories.. wood you be my valentine is my favorite. your blog looks sssssssoooooooooooo festive. love it to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Sandra. You figured out my rebus! High 5

      Delete
  3. I giggled, snorted, and guffawed my way through this... and wee Miss Jessica is very wise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Jessica is wise beyond her years.

      Delete
  4. Loved all the humorous Valentine stories,, and the picture puzzle. I'm looking forward to my Valentine date with Americo, my hubby. Love is in the air, la la la la la!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...a Valentine date with a special man. Couldn't be more perfect.

      Delete
  5. Wood ewe bee my valentine? Very cute post for amore, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh those humorous stories. The most funny yet awkward is the one who thought she'd start dating again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anni, I enjoyed all the funny stories.. Happy Valentine's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are such fun, Happy Valentines Day Anni~

    ReplyDelete
  9. A most delightful post. Enjoyed reading the so called love stories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a joyous early Valentine's treat for me this was. Thank you and may you be lucky in love (even more than you have been) LOL and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are fun indeed, Anni, and what a perfect start for my day!! Great "love" stories they are! Hope your week is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post Anni, so funny. Thank you for my morning smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What great stories...Oh my.
    Our 45th anniversary is 2/14...I'm making a special dessert full of chocolate which we both love. Hopefully it turns out at least 1/2 as pretty as the picture if so I'll post it.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  14. It would have been a tragedy to miss this "heartfelt" post! You are clever and sweet, I can tell. Owl be your Valentine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LUV it all- I've almost forgotten that Valentine's Day is around the corner. January and February are packed full of grandkid birthdays, my dad's birthday, my daughter's anniversary and by the time Valentine's gets here we are generally too tired to worry with it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How cute! Would you be my valentine? Yes, I will!! :)

    This post had me smiling all the way through!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wood ewe bee M-eye Valentine, I figured it out! So clever that you thought this up and did it! I love the stories, especially the one about the woman and her ex who were both looking for love. I love your dining room table, very elegant! I would never have thought to place the hearts in opposite ways like this. Love your pretty red Valentine background.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a light "hearted" post this is. Love those stories especially the divorced woman checking the personals.
    Your rebus puzzle is perfect. Made me think of that old game show, I think it was called Concentration

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, I'm already somebody's but I do hope you have a great Valentine's Day, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I figured it out - good job! I loved those stories and read several to Bob. We both enjoyed the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, my, this was a great post...Loved it all.

    ReplyDelete

.