“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Cleaning Out My Drawers!


Newspaper Clipping

So, on a rainy day this past week, I found myself sitting on the floor, cleaning out the bottom drawer of my chest of drawers! Kinda a Willy-Nilly type day for me of treasures from the past all grouped together...And you thought this was gonna be a stinky poo post, didn't you?  If you're a devoted follower of Hootin' Anni's, you may remember me posting a little about this long ago...I apologize if it bores you with a repetitious posting. Anyway, while digging into the mess, I found some treasures of nearly 20 years ago. Has it been that long ago? Yes, indeed. Back in 1995, living in Tucson AZ, I read an article in the local newspaper that Hollywood was looking for movie extras that was going to be, in part, filmed in our area. At the time, I was bored. Bud was planning on spending an entire day watching football on TV. It was a Sunday, and I figured I had nothing to lose. So, I drove to the building that was directed to anyone interested in town and sat and waited my turn for taking of my mug shot! Months later, even after I had forgotten all about my little adventure, I was called and was told I had a part as an EXTRA in the movie T!n Cup, starring K. C0stner and more well-knowns. I was elated. Not for being an extra, but for getting a chance to see how a movie was made more-or-less...a 'behind the scenes' look if you will.

Movie Set Photos...K. C0stner in one photo!
Top Left: Dark o'thirty! When first I arrived
Ugh!! I was informed I had to show up in Tubac AZ at a country club by 7am!! That meant I was to be up by 5am, get ready, dressed, and drive nearly an hour's time to reach Tubac from my home and find the place to clock in. And on our arrival and the gathering of the extras, we were informed that cameras were not allowed. Ha! They don't know me very well. I had a hand held camera in my pocket. And I can be sneaky. What were they gonna do to me? Kick me out? Once I got photos, it went back in my pocket. Funny thing, tho...the first day, at our lunch break, all kinds of extras' cameras appeared!! Cheech Marin was a great personality [He played C0stner's caddy in the movie]. He was kind enough to pose with some of us.

The last day, I took a felt tip pen and a plain gray t-shirt with me. During breaks in filming, I got some autographs. Including Mr. C's!!! Anyway, to make a long story short. It was a fun, but dreadful hours to awaken and drive in the dark for those three days. I could tell you about the last day of filming in our area when I left in my car and followed K's limo back into Tucson. The limo turned off on the Miracle Mile exit. Ummmmm, then, so did I even tho it was far from my own exit to home north of Tucson. Just out of curiosity, I wanted to know where they were headed if my hunch was correct....it was. But I won't tell y'all at all about the Miracle Mile back in the 90s. It has now been 'cleaned up' since last I heard, but not back then.

The thing I remember most of the experience? R. Russo's laughter! She was so charming!!

Some of the treasures from my drawers I photographed to share:

Autograph on my t-shirt
Cheech is "high"
Back Side of t-shirt
Front side of t-shirt
K. C0stner's Autograph
Newspaper Clipping
Extra's Pay Records
Extra's Time Schecule
I grabbed one of his BALLS!! after T'ing off!!













































































My Skywatch Shot...Embiggen!!
After the drawers were cleaned out and organized again, I went to the computer and found MORE cleaning to do!! Photo albums!!  These photos are from quite a while ago, when we went owl hunting at the Botanical Gardens. The staff there is busy cleaning up also. Cleaning an area and building a new orchid house next to the aviary facility where all their tropical birds are. I like seeing the sky & landscaping through the girders. Here are some more of those, colorful, raucous, and oftentimes comical, permanent residents you can see there:





63 comments :

  1. Hi Anni, it must have been cool to be an extra on a movie set.. What fun! I love the photos and autographed t-shirt. Great memories. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was cool Eileen. And yes, great memories.

      Delete
  2. It must have been quite a 'hoot' Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun...but now that I don't have to get up at an 'ungodly hour'...it's more fun to reminisce.

      Delete
  3. My friend, Anni, screen star! And I never knew it! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...well, I wouldn't go that far. LOL

      Delete
  4. Hi Anni, so nice to meet you and I just so enjoyed your post. What an adventure. Great treasures from wonderful times. Thank you for stopping by and visiting me and your comment. I am your newest follower.
    Have a great weekend.
    CM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you stopped by this morning!!! Thanks for joining in as a new follower Celestina! You're always welcomed to visit.

      Delete
  5. That was really fun to discover about you! :) I also love the colorful parrots in the end. They always make me cheerful.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the caged bird photos today. And my little memory of being a movie extra!

      Delete
  6. Have a great weekend Sneaky Hootin Anni. Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sneaky AND ornery....what a lethal combination. Thanks Tom

      Delete
  7. i'm sure it made for long days, but worth it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was long days...before sunrise to sunset!!

      Delete
  8. Not everybody can say that they grabbed Kevin Costner's balls! Made me laugh out loud. And yes, that would have been fun except for the early morning. What fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right. There, at the time I snitched it, a lot of silent cheering from the crowd of extras. LOL

      The hours were grueling.

      Delete
  9. Anni, what an exciting adventure...tops anything I can come up with, for sure. And I just saw Costner in his Black or White movie. It was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to see this movie!! Thanks Linda

      Delete
  10. what a find. i need to do the drawer thing, hubby has two junk drawers that have not been touched for 20 years.. but we have no treasures like your sweat shirt to find... i really should go right now and attack a couple of drawers and the walk in closet needs to be emptied and put back together.. oh no, what did you do to me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my walk in closet gets a good cleaning for Spring and Winter...getting rid of stuff I don't wear all season into the next.

      Good luck.

      Delete
  11. Gutsy - that was my first impression. It is my last one too but I'll add determined and adventuresome. What a look back you had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gutsy...my middle name. I've gotten into a lot of trouble. lol

      Delete
  12. YES. it was the new red gown and I laid down on the computer room bed in order to be camouflaged. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. It would have been interesting to see how things really were done...glad you got to experience it. Someday that t-shirt will be worth a lot of money...maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...no doubt by the time it'd be worth anything, it'll be rotten. lol

      Delete
  14. Oh, how fun, Anni!!! I'm so glad you shared this with us and, as always, your captures are terrific!! Ah, and some great memories, too!! Hope you have a lovely weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun look back! I loved hearing about your time as an extra, and I would have taken a camera in too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that makes it a near majority then. MOST extras had 'hidden' cameras. lol

      Delete
  16. That was really fun to read about! Nice to see that shirt too. I always wonder about the lives of our bloggers, long before we blogged we had interesting lives it seems! A really fun posting Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a delightful behind-the-scenes adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun thing to have been an "extra" in a movie, Did you spot yourself in the movie? You've got some great memorabilia for sure. Really pretty photos of all those wonderful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Anni what a great story!!! Geeeeez
    Running late here. My peeps eat out on Friday morning, then walk then they were home for about 87 seconds then left me for 2:30 hours this afternoon to go to a movie. They made it home just minutes before my appointed supper
    Beautiful bird photos
    Hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, what an experience of a lifetime at the movie set!!! I am so glad you still have all the things to show us! Will you devote one drawer to them? LOVE your close up of the glorious parrot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Ginny. It was fun, but a bit grueling with the time spent.

      Delete
  21. I never for a second thought this would be a stinky poo post but your title did make me laugh. That had to have been very cool to be a movie extra. So can you be seen in the movie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved the title didya? LOL

      Delete
  22. That was very, very interesting Anni, so glad you took your camera ;) Nope, not a stinky poo post at all but a very enjoyable one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad I didn't miss this post. I find it very interesting. Shouldn't be sitting here as I still hurt but I'm glad I took the chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your woes are healing...it's not fun to hurt to sit!!!

      Delete
  24. Hello Anni!:) What a great story, told by a great story teller. I can imagine the excitment, of your under cover photography. I used to love Renné Russo, and have seen many of her films, but then she seems to have disapeared from the screen, I wonder what happened to her! Anyway you got all their signatures, and many happy memories. I haven't seen the film, but would love to.

    Anni, I have been trying to add my link to I'd Rather Be Birdin, but haven't succeeded yet, but will keep on trying.:) I don't see many birds, but would post whenever I could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll help you anytime. And thanks for the comment today.

      Delete
  25. Good Morning, Anni. just stopping back to say thank you for linking up your cute birdies.. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank YOU for hosting Eileen

      Delete
  26. Great bird shots!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. i really enjoyed your story of being an extra, how exciting!! love how cheech says "high" haha...they filmed a movie based on a trilogy i love, "big stone gap"..they actually filmed it there and were looking for extras. i almost took the boys and went because i thought it would be so fun but i ended up not doing it in the end. it's about 2-3 hours from us and i thought it would be too difficult if we needed to go back. it hasn't been released in theaters yet but i can't wait and i know i'm going to be really upset when i see it that i didn't go see about being an extra, or at least visit while they were filming.ashley judd stars in it and i just love her! thank you for linking and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for hosting Tanya

      Delete
  28. What great fun! I always sneak my Canon G15 with me, too.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you and me both. Cameras are just another extension of my limbs.

      Delete
  29. Dear Anni, What great fun and experience; it must have a such a treat to meet and work with these folks. I am happy for you that you have these memories and shared them.
    xoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  30. I loved it!!!! I always knew you were an amazing interesting lady but you just keeping popping out more things to impress us!!!! I so enjoyed seeing all your keepsakes! Glad you KEPT them!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Loved this! What fun! I enjoyed hearing about the experience. The only movie extra experience I ever had was in a CIA training film (yep, that's what I said! :-) )where I was one of the crowd when there was an life-taking attempt on our "fake Pres" and I had to duck behind a cement sidewalk border and act like I was horrified and scared! :-) We tried out for a commercial at Busch Gardens once and had to act like we were riding a roller coaster. That wasn't too hard! :-) Of course, we didn't get the part. So glad you have these keepsakes of your time on screen. I still haven't seen the movie. I chuckled over the Miracle Mile thing. TOOO funny! Glad you told me to check back and find this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd understand the section on the "Miracle Mile. rofl

      Delete
  32. Lovely post, have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete

.