“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Miles to Go....

Upon finishing the first book of five in the Frank Baum Collection, The Cyclone, I can honestly say the story is not at all like the 1939 movie, Wizard of Oz. Still, it's a good read. I'm glad I read it finally. Yes, it's written for children I'm sure, but in my youth I wasn't 'into' reading much. I was too busy with sports, games, school, and boy crushes to take time to read. LOL For the fact I can now say I read "The Cyclone" by Frank Baum, I am pleased with myself. Silver slippers? I like the concept of RUBIES much better.  And, to be even more honest, I like the way the story was 're-written' for cinema.  Much more of an exotic tale and fit for children and adults alike!! 

Okay, moving on...

One afternoon, while Bud was napping and trying to rid himself of his flu ailments, I took my lunch in the computer room and just dubbed around, searching, and reading articles from the news websites, and googling. I came across Cote de Pablo and what she's been doing since leaving NCIS [Ziva]. Her story of a TV mini series that will air on CBS this Spring piqued my interest. Based on truth, an historical novel of four 'warrior' women from Masada; about how they were in an ancient land of Biblical times....not only the women's stories, but the Romans, the Stronghold, the Jews.  After watching the clip provided here, I was compelled to drive to 1/2 Price Book Store the very day and see if the book by Alice Hoffman was on their shelves. It was, I bought it. And I'm reading it with zeal. So far, its language and writing is exceptional! It's difficult to put down. From Amazon Books, this synopsis:

Masada
Nearly two thousand years ago, nine hundred Jews held out for months against armies of Romans on Masada, a mountain in the Judean desert. According to the ancient historian Josephus, two women and five children survived. Based on this tragic and iconic event, Hoffman’s novel is a spellbinding tale of four extraordinarily bold, resourceful, and sensuous women, each of whom has come to Masada by a different path. ....The lives of these four complex and fiercely independent women intersect in the desperate days of the siege. All are dovekeepers, and all are also keeping secrets—about who they are, where they come from, who fathered them, and whom they love.  Alice Hoffman/The Dovekeepers


Another book I found as I was waiting in line to pay for my purchase was yet another children's book! What caught my eye was "Robert Frost". He is a favorite poet. ONE of my favorites. And the book was about my all time favorite Frost's poems: Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening". The last line, tho it's really about traveling through the woods, "I have miles to go before I sleep, miles to go before I sleep" - I interpret this as a whole 'nother thought. My thought is, through life I have many miles to travel in my time and tho I may stop and admire what is around me, I still have many more miles of life to go before my permanent sleep. Yep, that is why I love this so. Anyway, the book, as I thumbed through it had incredible art illustrations. And I kept this in my hot little hands and bought this one also!!

Children's books now-a-days are so cool!! We never had these richly illustrated books when I was growing up!! I missed out on so much. Take notice the hidden rabbits in this opened page...




The 87th annual Oscar nominations were listed this week!! I went out online and watched one movie that was nominated as best picture. It has Eddie Redmayne which I like a lot. He was in a mini-series for TV years back, Pillars of the Earth, and starred in the theatrical version of Les Miserables. Both, he did a fine job. He's now been nominated for his role, playing Steven Hawking. Suffering from Lou Gehrig's Disease, Eddie Redmayne shows a phenomenal portrayal!! I recommend this movie. Poignant, humorous, true to life. After seeing this, and coming down to earth afterwards, I find that these last few weeks, with a bout of flu...I definitely was feeling somewhat ashamed of myself. To wallow in a self pity party for having flu, when so many suffer in life and are challenged to the extreme....I now won't complain. Steven Hawking, a real person who is 72 years old at the movie's end...has lived a full life and still, having a 2 year death sentence in 1963....survives!!! The Theory of Everything and Eddie Redmayne...best picture nomination and best actor.



Let there be light!!! Since January 3rd, my area of Texas has been under a blanket of grayness. Until yesterday afternoon!!! The cloud cover that has been lingering for nearly two weeks finally broke loose and starting clearing. We actually had sun rays dancing on our carpeting. What a glorious thing!!! And maybe today we'll continue to have clear skies and sunshine!! I can only hope.  With weather like this, I just may have miles to go ...to go birding!!!

One more tidbit. Of course y'all know I love 'my' Denver Broncos. I was a bit disappointed in their playoff loss this past weekend. But, all in all, I was okay with it. If they had beat the Colts, the team would have had to play against New England Patriots. And I am positive that that game would have been disastrous for the Broncos. In other words, stink, stank, stunk!!  So, all is well by me. I still think that Peyton Manning should retire. But, what do I know? I read now that John Elway is looking for a new head coach. And Gary Kubiak [once a qb for the Broncos and head coach for the Texans] is a possible candidate? Dunno 'bout that!! There is some doubt in my mind if he is hired. Time will only tell. Anyway, while waiting for half time to close, I was searchin' online for Bronco memorabilia...check this out!!




THEY'RE DOLLS!!!

45 comments :

  1. wow, those dolls look very realistic! i'm excited for the oscars, i really like watching every year even if i haven't seen most of the movies (wait for them on dvd)...you find the most interesting books and wow, the illustrations in that children's book are beautiful...i used to love going through the children's library when my kids were younger and would let me read to them :) have a great weekend and thank you for linking!! enjoy your sunshine...we are sunny today too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, I thought so too. VERY realistic.

      And I hope to have some time to get out IN the sunshine! Been cooped up far too long.

      Delete
  2. I need to check out The Dovekeepers. Sounds like a book I would enjoy, and I want to see the mini-series, too. Thanks so much for letting us know about both! The dolls are amazingly real looking!! Very cute! Have a good Friday, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your Friday too Terri and thanks.

      Delete
  3. I was interested in hearing what Cote de Pablo is up to. And that book does sound really interesting, so I'll check it out (the Masada one). I saw Redmayne in that movie and am pretty convinced he's got a lock on the Best Actor for it. He was amazing. Glad you've got some sunshine and that you're on the mend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks DJ. Yep, that acting role was phenomenal. Let's just hope the Academy recognizes him fully instead of just a nomination.

      Delete
  4. Good to see you back!!! Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Dovekeepers is now on my must read list! The story of Masada has enthralled me for years, and Alice Hoffman is an epic storyteller. Robert Frost was my father's favourite poet... and he had that poem memorised.... and is one of mine as well; his work is a fountain one can return to again and again.
    Glad you're beginning to feel better and that sunshine has returned! (And thanks for the smile, the dolls are adorable.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jacqueline...while you're healing, do read the book. Maybe by the time you finish it I will have finished it and we can both critique it together.

      Take care. And thanks....I love the 'reference' to a fountain you can return to again and again.

      Delete
  6. Anni, you are really newsy today. Thanks for the tips on the books. I had heard of Masada and it's a fascinating story. I might just get the book. A friend has just published a children's book "Where's my Hug". It's a "board book" with little peek a boo flaps on each page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of our favorite books when my kids were toddlers was a peek a boo flap on each page. A Hallmark book....Lamont the Lonely Monster.

      Delete
  7. Boy, is there a lot in this post...first, always sort of interpreted that last line of the Frost poem the same way. Or sort of the same way...

    My daughter has been reading the Baum books...may have read them all by now. The Wizard of Oz is still one of her favorite movies.

    About children's books...like you we did not have access to many books with the illustrations. I know our school finally started having newer books brought in once a month I think it was. And oh, how we loved new books. Yet at the same time, no pictures let my imagination soar. So, don't really know if one is better than the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, you make a valid point here about the use of imagination!!! But oh the illustrations in this book are so cool.

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh, thanks for this heads up about Cote de Pablo, I still miss seeing her on NCIS and you have mentioned one of my favorite authors, Alice Hoffman, I have nearly everyone of her books, she writes me into a magical world that is often so much necessary to just make it through our real world! Hehehe, well maybe that's a wee bit of a stretch but I am a big fan of hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me this is the first Hoffman book. If it continues to be written so well and keep me enthralled as I am so far, it won't be the last book of hers I read. I'm sure.

      Delete
  9. we are the same here, i did a post on our weather today to... we have had zero sun since the 31st of Dec... and at 10;50 am today the sun beams are on my floor. i went out in the garage and said to bob SUN IN THE KITCHEN... he said REALLY? we have that same gray cloud that is over you.
    those dolls are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far....knock wood, it's still sunny and a bit pleasant. Could be warmer for me, but I'm a wuss.

      Delete
  10. Those dolls are amazing indeed and SO cute!! Great post as always, Anni, the perfect way to start my day!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sure like your lavender owl header and how it matches your wall paper and everything. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope the weather stays nice like that for you for a while longer.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  13. The dolls are just adorable. Love your book reviews. Just want to tell you about the book club, there is only ONE email involved and that's to tell Mom what your google email is so she can add you as an administrator. You can text it to me if you would rather. My phone number is 520-720-7224. You have to have a google email to be on blogger. That's all she needs. If you would rather not, then I understand , though. It isn't for everyone. Oh, and so cool about The Dovekeepers! I will have to watch that. Loved Cote de Pablo on NCIS....my husband said "How funny she is always playing a Jewsih person," because she is Hispanic. Enjoyed your story on my comments about the flashlight being held while sitting on the hood when the there were no headlights for the car. Yes, I can't get enough of that not-so-distant era! The people are so amazing, so genuine and so fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I have time and think about it to remember, I'll send it along. I get to blogging, then visiting...and by the time I'm done with that, Bud is out of bed and we're ready to go somewhere. I usually just do that much, if I'm lucky.

      Delete
  14. We love that Robert Frost poem! Alice Hoffman, I have read almost all her books. She is one of my very favorite authors!! We have sun today too, YEAH!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed....YEAH for sunshine!!!

      Delete
  15. I like the illustrations in that book with the hidden rabbits. Not like the little golden books I read when I was a kid.
    Love those dolls, that last one cracked me up, too cute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they're too cute, aren't they?

      Delete
  16. ANNI WE ARE SO GLAD YOU ARE ON THE MEND AND YOU DEFEATED THE NASTY BUG...WITHOUT MUCH FELINE HELP.
    THOSE DOLLS ARE ADORABLE. I'M GLAD YOU SAID THEY WERE DOLLS...
    HUGS MADI AND MOM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to fathom that they are not real babes in the Bronco garb. But, dolls.

      Delete
  17. For me, NCIS isn't the same without "Ziva" and her spark. I do think, though, that the books of the past had wonderful and very detailed illustrations. So sorry I didn't keep them. They had previously belonged to my grandfather and my child's imagination could venture to other places through those finely drawn pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You musta had a much better library when a child....our books were rarely illustrated like they are now.

      Delete
  18. I've wondered what Cote has been up to, I was very disappointed when she left NCIS. I always hoped her and Tony would get together, but of course that always ruins the show when that happens,anyway. I'm going to find this book-(the Dovekeepers) it sounds very interesting Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad they kept it a bit of a mystery/love affair. Made for more yearning for the next episode.

      Thanks Terri

      Delete
  19. I read The Dove Keepers and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always liked Cote in NCIS. That book sounds very interesting!
    Hope Bud is back to his normal self soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...he's such a grumbly ol' bear when he's not feeling well. More so. lol

      Delete
  21. Thanks for calling in at my Photo blog. Good to meet you. You sound a bit like me - retired, reader, birder and photographer! But I think maybe you have better weather and very different birds from us over in the NW of England. Very cold and snowy here. We might see the sun today, but I'm not holding my breath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again Gilly. Thanks for taking time to come over the pond to pay me a visit!!!

      Delete
  22. I loved Ziva on NCIS and I miss her on the show... Both of the books sound great, thanks for the review.. I hope the sun is shining for this weekend, have a good one..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU Eileen. Enjoyed your winter plump bird photo this morning. Have a great weekend, hopefully filled with lots of sunshine your way too.

      Delete
  23. *grin* yes, aren't the new-age kiddies books a delight. Hope Bud's better?!

    ReplyDelete

.