“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





The BIG Dub-ya

He must have gone by you
doing 90 miles an hour.
He was passing me!
I never saw such a crazy thing in my life!
-Let's get down there.
-Let's go.
We're going down there.
Russell, be careful.
Remember your condition.
Boy, the way he just sailed out there....
Look out.
There's nobody in the car.
-He's right.
-What do you mean, nobody?
There he is.
Holy smoke!
How about that? This guy's still alive.
He's still alive.
We ought to call an ambulance.
I don't know how he survived,
the way you went sailing right out there.
I'm not a doctor,
but I have some medical experience.
I'm a dentist.
Do you think you're hurt real bad?
Is he kidding?
Hold on, we're gonna get you to a hospital.
You move me, I'll break up in little pieces.
But what a deal.
Look, there's this dough, see?
There's all this dough: $350,000!
Do you hear what I'm saying?
$350,000!
In the park, in Rosita,
Rosita Beach State Park...
...just south of Dago in Santa Rosita.
It's in this box buried under this....
Buried under this big W.
You'll see it.
You'll see it under this big W.
You can't miss it, a big W.





About half way from home to Port Aransas, Texas, driving the beach highway 361 north from North Padre Island, there has always been an outcropping of palm trees. In the open, with nothing but the sand dunes and scrub brush/prairie land between me in the car and the Gulf of Mexico. So many times I've wanted to stop the car and get a picture of them. Why? Probably because of housing developments and commercial building taking place all over the area. I wanted a photo of the palms mainly 'cause it reminds me of the "Big W" from the movie It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World [1963].


A few weeks ago, while I was alone on the stretch of highway, a white tailed hawk was perched on one of the power line poles to my left. I just had to pull over and get a photo. Thing is, the camera was in the trunk of the car, so I had to get out. Of course when I exited the car to get the camera, the hawk, watching my every move, eventually flew off before I was able to focus well. THESE PHOTOS I SHARE TODAY of the white tailed hawk ARE OF A DIFFERENT TIME on the island. NOT the day of the palm tree image. But, I was out now, I didn't want to let my one opportunity to get a photo of the "Big W"!!! The hour of the morning, just after sunrise, the traffic was light so, I leaned up against the car and took this photo you see above.

...and above the picture of the palm cluster...part of the beginning of the script from the movie. The movie, one of my favorites that I probably know by heart, is filled with a cast of 1000s with the likes of Jimmy Durante [he is dying and telling the witnesses about the cash stash under the big W], Spencer Tracy, Ethel Merman, Jim Backus, Mickey Rooney, Jonathon Winters, Edie Adams....and MORE!! 

But, there is  no shovel in my car, and the land is privately owned so...no trespassing to find the money buried here in Texas!!  But I can do some role playing in the car each and every time I find the Big W.

You Tube of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World accident
They discover the Big W

...who gets the money at the end? Watch it online for FREE....Here


To change the subject entirely...well, kinda. The weather here in South Texas is still drab and damp. But at least there is no snow!! My sister, on the Western Slope of the Colorado Rockies texted me a photo of their back yard looking from her kitchen window into their woods. Jealous, I am... they are getting SOME blue skies, unlike us'ins...

62 comments :

  1. Nice photo of the palm trees...and of the snow scene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't figure out at first WHAT you were talking about in that first part, but now it all makes sense. You sure do have a rich fantasy life, Anni! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a bit like DiNozzo with reference to movies so much. I guess. Either that, or this flu is essentially zapping my brain.

      Delete
  3. I like the way you weaved your words here and I LOVE that amazing snow picture :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, and may I again add my congratulations on your marriage.

      Delete
  4. Anni, what a curious group of trees. My kids are going to be in Port Aransas this weekend, so get things warmed up for them, OK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could...but by the looks of things, it'll be cold, wet and dreary for them also.

      Delete
  5. Hi Anni, I love the palm tree photo and the hawk was a cool sighting.. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really thought you were writing whacky and had no idea what the first part of this post could possibly mean! Got me - got me good. Never a dull moment at Hootin' Anni's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the flu....I'm a bit disorientated. At least I'll put the blame there. And I'm stickin' by it.

      Delete
  7. You are a Hoot, and always aim to please a weary, winter soul! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...enjoy your day too Karen.

      Delete
  8. Dear Anni, As soon as I got to the part of the story that said The Big W, I knew it was A Mad, Mad World!! I love that movie too.
    It is very cold and windy here; though the weatherman promises warmer weather on the way!!....
    Great photos. xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you dear Catherine

      Delete
  9. I started watching Mad, Mad World once on Netflix. I don't remember why I didn't finish it....probably had to go somewhere....or fell asleep because I watch movies late at night. I should finish it someday.

    I get so excited when I get a good shot of a bird...any bird....because usually, they fly away before I get it focused the way I want it focused. So, you did good, even if you didn't get it the day you had to dig it out of the trunk! Just spotting them is exciting to me!

    Us'ins? lol My great-grandmother used to say that....haven't heard that since 1977 when she passed away. Thanks for the jog of my memory. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the word 'us'ins' a lot. lol

      Delete
  10. Ah, I can always count on you for a giggle or a grin or belly laugh to start my day! I do love your sense of humor!! Have a fun day!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your sister has a beautiful view from her back yard! Wow. You know, I've never seen that movie, and now I feel like I must!! I've made a note to queue it up on our list of movies to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....it's very funny. Don't miss out.

      And as for my sister's yard...if you think the woods are pretty, you should see their FRONT yard view. A mountain Range.

      Delete
  12. Interesting photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your sister is for sure enjoying her white winter. That's a lovely backyard.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....just a small area of their yard....the 'front yard' from their deck is most pristine tho....you have the view of the jagged San Juan Mountain Range.

      Delete
  14. That outcropping of Palms is wonderful!!! And I can even see their reflection...is the water under them? they make a glorious picture!! I LOVED that movie!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...actually Ginny, that is the car's rooftop...no water.

      Delete
  15. I like your big dub-ya :) There have been so many things that I've wanted to stop and get pictures of but for one reason or another I never end up getting them.
    Beautiful picture of your sisters back yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....they have a lot of land...and purposely kept it 'natural'....which makes it all the more pretty in ALL seasons.

      Delete
  16. i like the way you see things! I do the same. The Big W is pretty, and so is that snow scene.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty Christmas card picture your sister sent you. Sorry you couldn't dig for the money. Isn't it a shame Padre Island and now south Padre Island has to grow up with buildings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it seems that progress is gonna take a bite out of the pristine area some more...as you near Port A, there is a lot of land being cleared as I type. More housing development I'm sure. Thanks Paula

      Delete
  18. I love that movie. Hey if you find the money, how about we split it? Deal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds like a perfect plan Yogi. :o)

      Delete
  19. Brilliant, Anni. I remember that part of the movie well. I think he actually kicks a bucket and then dies! Great snow image too. Greetings, Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, he does kick the bucket!!! Thanks Jo

      Delete
  20. HI Anni I loved that movie and that is a marvellous shot you got. Sorry you missed the shot of the Hawks, remember ALWAYS have the camera INSIDE the car unless of course you are travelling in the boot/trunk!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....I was planning on stopping at a store once at the fishing village, so thought it was wise to put the camera in the trunk....so not to have it stolen while in the store....woe is me!!! Thanks Margaret.

      Delete
  21. stunning view out in her back yard. we are having the same thing you are. we are not cold and not rain but clouds clouds clouds, gray day after gray day. the sun peeks out for 10 minutes and gone... very unusual for us

    I read the beginning and since i have never seen the movie i thought this was something happening to YOU... another reason to take those palm trees is they might one day not be in your view. for 20 years hubby drove the sunshine sky way from St Pete to here in Bradenton to work. just at the end of the bridge rounding a curve was this same palm view you took. only there were about 20 palms. it was breathtaking at sunrise. now the view is blocked and the trees are there but can't be seen. and we have no photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well to be honest, before I took the palm photo, there WERE a lot more trees in the grouping. They've been slowly moving them here and there. I wanted to get the photo before the "W" disappeared completely.

      Delete
  22. What a FUN post, Anni! I love your white-tailed hawk, but the story of your missed shot on the day you took the palm picture reminds me of things that happen to me....and the reference to the Big W was just too cool! I reference movies all the time. It's like a great inside joke with the person you saw the movie with. :-) I've never seen that movie....guess I should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly....and inside joke to be sure. Most have no clue what it all means. lol

      Delete
  23. I have not seen the movie...might have to watch it sometime. I tend to like old movies. Love the hawk...and love the pic your sis sent. I, too, am jealous of the blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun [funny] movie. Worth seeing at least once.

      Delete
  24. I've got to watch that again.
    It's been a long time, and even then it was an old movie. Some of those are the best! I sigh in awe at that gorgeous sunset and palms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...sunrise!! I rarely see the sun setting in our subdivision. But, I'm out in the early morning hours to see sunrises!!!

      Delete
  25. your sis's place is beautiful! the white-tailed hawk is, too! and i loved that movie. what a madcap ensemble cast. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....I tried to convince them to build a lake on their land. To no avail. They too could have tons of ducks like you!!

      Delete
  26. I love the snow photo, what a beautiful view from your sister's kitchen. The hawk is awesome - wonderful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Replies
    1. ...that it does. At least from the warm indoors looking out. :-)

      Delete
  28. Great post!!! Picture reminds me of the times we were in Corpus Christi to visit Ron's mother. Love walking the beach there!!! Have a grand day!! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm gonna send you a photo of my sister's back yard... she's been shovelling out for days now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh those kinds of snows are what made us decide enough is enough and moved SOUTH.

      Delete
  30. I've been happy to have not had snow here this winter but I do appreciate the quiet beauty it brings. Your sisters yard is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  31. your palm tree pic is pretty and your story funny.

    beautiful snow image too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The palms are so pretty in the sunset. Those old movies are a hoot! They seem to be coming back on TV too. The redeeming quality of winter is the lovely views of the winter wonderland of snow and glistening frost, for sure, that's a lovely scene. I admire your hawk in flight, it's so difficult to catch them in action.

    ReplyDelete

.