“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Have You Hugged Your Cat Lately?

A very familiar sight in Corpus Christi Bay by the Harbor Bridge, this museum is part of naval history: "The USS Lexington [a WWII aircraft carrier] was commissioned in February 1943 and saw extensive service through the Pacific War. For much of her service, she acted as the flagship for Admiral Marc Mitscher, and led the Fast Carrier Task Force through their battles across the Pacific. She was the recipient of 11 battle stars and the Presidential Unit Citation. Following the war, Lexington was decommissioned, but was modernized and reactivated in the early 1950s, being reclassified as an attack carrier (CVA). Later, she was reclassified as an anti-submarine carrier (CVS). In her second career, she operated both in the Atlantic/Mediterranean and the Pacific, but spent most of her time, nearly 30 years, on the east coast as a training carrier (CVT). Lexington was decommissioned in 1991, with an active service life longer than any other Essex-class ship. Following her decommissioning, she was donated for use as a museum ship in Corpus Christi, Texas. In 2003, Lexington was designated a National Historic Landmark."
...1] looking through one of Shoreline Blvd.'s many gazebos, the conning tower shows. 2] Aboard the deck, I look up toward the conning tower and the ship's Number "16". 3] From the Marina, looking toward the bridge, the Lexington's deck regales the history of its part in WWII, with the era's planes readied for take-off.
Linking to: Rubbish Tuesday



...also 'round the bay and Gulf waters--
It's a special 'season'!!  During the peak of the season, birds of many kinds often change color with their plumage or other body parts. Bold, bright, 'attractive to the opposite sex' is prevalent...seen by us birders also. Sometimes a very subtle difference, like a color change around the eyes [the egret]...or the duck's bill color changes [ruddy duck], etc.
These following six images show us the coming of the season ---breeding season:


The blue billed duck is a Male Ruddy Duck...non-breeding season the bill is dark, charcoal gray.  In the 2nd photo, the foreground is a Black Bellied Whistling Duck...but the color change I wanted to point out is the bird in the background ---the White Faced Ibis...see the white ring around the eye?  Non breeders, the eye ring is more flesh tone.


This is a White Ibis...in the non-breeding season,  the legs and long bill are much paler in tone.  During breeding season, the bill and legs become a bright, rich, vivid red.  The black tip is also quite prominent in the breeding season.

Altho white birds are oftentimes a difficult subject to photograph in bright sunlight, these egrets [great egrets] are a bit shaded with the reed grasses.  In 'normal everyday life' the eyes are a typical pale yellow/orange blending in very well with the beak ---during breeding season, the male has a very bright yellow green coloration around the eyes...almost a chartreuse color.  Very striking.





HODGEPODGE

1. Several posts and status updates recently describing end of year school field trips. Do you remember taking school field trips as a kid? Where did you go and do you recall a favorite? For any parents responding today, have you ever chaperoned a school field trip, and if so where? Yes we did take field trips. My favorites were always the last day of school and a bus trip to city parks [or other years, a trip to the rocky mountain campgrounds] for an all day picnic! Oh, and another favorite was going into the big city [Denver] to a Shakespeare Festival...it was English Lit Class and we attended an all day festival with wearing garb of the era, and seeing plays. I can still see, and oftentimes talk about it to this day!! Julius Caesar was my favorite on stage play that day. What a thrilling one. That got me really liking Shakespeare!! "Beware of the Ides of March" -- "Et tu Brute?" Gotta love it.

2. What's something you're tired of seeing online? Entertainment news. Notably the kim kardashian phase! OMG!!! [it's not only online either...magazines on the stores' shelves are plastered with her.] Everywhere I look. OMG.

3. June is the month for roses. Which of the following expressions would you say has most recently applied to your life-'everything's coming up roses', 'there's no rose without a thorn', 'came out smelling like a rose', or 'wearing rose-colored glasses'? All of the above....EXCEPT --wearing rose-colored glasses. I don't. LOL

4. When grilling outdoors do you prefer gas or charcoal? Who does the grilling at your house? What's the last thing you ate that was cooked on a grill? Gas!! Bud. Rib steaks.

5. Are you afraid of the dark? Not at all. In fact, darkness and my eyes work like a wild animal. Bud runs into walls, furniture...I on the other hand, can 'feel my way around in the dark' --I can even see shadows once my pupils adjust...quite well.

6. Share a favorite song with a number in it's title? When I was working I used to LOVE humming and singing along with this song -AND often requested it on my favorite radio show while driving home from work!!...It's a 5 o'clock world by the Vogues. [favorite line in the song --"But it's a five o'clock world when the whistle blows, no one owns a piece of my time!".] Another one from long ago, which by the way,  made me drool over Steve McQueen and Yul Brynner...from the movie Magnificent 7....and the theme song...of course! Magnificent 7.

I also enjoy classical music...very much! For instance, Frederic Chopin's Opus 64 #1 ---best known as Minute Waltz or Beethoven's 5th Symphony.  Heck, you may as well say, I enjoy music, period!

7. "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."(C.G. Jung). Do you agree? Why or why not?  Well, in my opinion, it could lead to both sides of the coin. You could see something in someone that annoys you and work on rectifying that in yourself to avoid. Or toss the coin and it could also be that you are irritated by others because something badgers your psyche - secretly you'd do the very same. Once again, it depends on mood; lifestyle.

8. Insert your own random thought here. So, speaking of color changes...I'm laying down on the couch and just daydreaming. A thought comes to mind about blogging and text decoration styles. I don't use the strike html often, but once in a while I do. And then, I got to wondering if there is a way to change the line through the 'striked' word[s] at all in the text area of the blog post. A few days later, I remembered to to some doodling to see if I could come up with the correct coding for this idea. I'm sure it's not a new idea and others have come up with something similar, but it's new to me and I kinda like the concept...


testing text with a strike through


then...


it's working - at least in Firefox

...AND June 4th is "Hug Your Cat Day"



Our kitty cats, Tahoe and Winston!!

104 comments :

  1. Yes..C.G.Jung is right....good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jung was spot-on. It was wonderful reading about the Lexington, my oldest brother served on her for several years (all of my brothers were Navy) and I was privileged to tour her when I was much, much younger. Guess she'll always have a soft spot in my heart; and I hope you don't mind me sharing this post with my brother.
    Sadly, I haven't hugged a cat of late...a few years ago I developed a severe allergy to them. I'd had a cat friend since I first remember, so it broke my heart. Now I just enjoy them vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hope your brother enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  3. I did not realize June 4th was Hug Your Cat Day! LOL! I will make sure to do that. Although, he gets a hug most days. ;)
    Happy Tuesday!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....yep, here too. But hugging our fur babies is just as good for us as them, I think.

      Delete
  4. Fun post!! Boom, Bobbi and Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anni the blue billed duck is amazing....wowowowowowow
    Mom is hoping I will allow a few extra hugs tomorrow. You know I'm a busy lady no time for smooches. Give Tahoe and Winston a hug from us
    Hugs madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...will do!! Of course, like YOU Madi, your mom gives you lots o' hugs year 'round.

      Delete
  6. I just love old Navy ships. If I ever get down to Corpus to visit my brother I'll have to tour the Lexington.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's a bit costly to board, but well worth it.

      Delete
  7. I like ships, especially aircraft carriers. I toured the SS Hornet a few years ago. Amazing experience. I want to see a blue bill up close and personal. And I so agree with #2! Who knew there was someone else out there that drooled over Yul Brenner! Steve McQueen always, but Yul. Yum! Did you know Steve McQueen's grandson was or maybe still is on The Vampire Diaries? I don't watch the show, but I read an article about him. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep....loved to listen to Mr. Brynner's voice...so deep, so sexy.

      Delete
  8. Such sweet cats!
    I sure do enjoy your lovely photos/history.
    Wishing you a great Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That would be a fascinating museum to visit! And thanks so much for reminding me to hug my cat - as she's batting at me, insisting that I pet her. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...she wants some attention!

      Delete
  10. The bills on those birds are so colorful. I hope all of their primping results in a prosperous season! Love your kitties' names.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The title of your post puzzled me until I got to the end. Good to know that little factoid. I enjoyed your Hodgepodge and pictures, Anni. Happy Tuesday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as a writer, you know that you need in a story, a beginning, a middle and an end, right? LOL

      Delete
  12. Great post!! Hugging cats vicariously!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I better hug Oliver today!
    As usual, you have some great bird pictures. I'm always impressed with your ability to use HTML

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oliver needs a hug!! And, thanks Mari.

      Delete
  14. well... I like all these bits of information...great photos of the ship..and so much I learned about a few birds today...thanks...yes...I will be hugging Dewy as soon as he shows himself...I agree with Jung...I once read that we can only like and dislike in others what we like and dislike in ourselves....

    ReplyDelete
  15. sweet cats. that ruddy duck is SOMETHING! wow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always wonder just HOW the blue change is made. Other birds seem to "go blue" during mating season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. blood, hormones, things like that Ms. G.

      Delete
  17. Changing the strike through color, brilliant, I never would have thought of it! I adore your header and matching birdcage background, really pretty. He only has that blue bill in breeding season? And I guess that wouldn't be long. I am with YOU on the entertainment news! Too much! speaking of the ship, we live less than an hour from Lexington.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...a whole 'nother Lexington. LOL
      Yep, only during breeding season.

      Delete
  18. Just so you know that trying to think of a song title with a number in it really made me think...couldn't think of anything else. Then I remembered #41 by Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds...just the one version is one of my all time favorites. Only THIS version of it. Oh, and so glad I had to think...sitting here listening now...I listened to this song about a zillion times while working at the apple orchard. I always swore that the apples would grow more if the music from it could be piped throughout the orchard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...what a concept!!! Researchers agree that music is good for the brain cells...perhaps it WOULD work wonders in orchards. You have a good vibe here.

      Delete
  19. Such lovely photos when enlarged Anni! I like the pale bit of green behind the herons beak.
    1. I chaperoned a lot of my daughter's school trips when she young, and now I go along on some of my granddaughter's.
    6.TVC 15 (David Bowie)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...2 generations of field trip chaperoning...you rock!!!

      Delete
  20. Every day is hug my cat day! LOL! Wow, what an incredible post here-full of EVERYTHING! I think my head is now spinning off like a Dervish...
    (but, I do so loved it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....around here too, EVERY day is hug your cat day.

      Delete
  21. My cats get hugged everyday! :)

    Great photos and good answers to your Hodgepodge!! Did you notice #5 is missing? Joyce added it this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did notice that and went back just now to find if she added it.

      Delete
  22. Something I'm tired of seeing online or TV - so called "celebrities". I'm sick to death of them. What's wrong with ordinary folk like you and me Anni? Are we not good enough to share our thoughts, our good looks, what we do and who we do it with?

    Am I afraid of the dark? No way - it's the best time to see owls - a birder's joke.

    Thank you for the tutorial on ageing and sexing birds. It's all about increasing knowledge and understanding

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's the best time to see owls...for sure!!!

      Delete
  23. How interesting to learn about the ship. I'll certainly hug my kitty (gently) tomorrow when she gets home from being fixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....but a gentle hug indeed!!

      Delete
  24. Really love the Ruddy and Whistling ducks. Really lovely birds

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely birds, especially the egrets.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fabulous shot of the ruddy duck! That is my goal next year since I missed the breeding ones this year. That bright blue beak is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hope you see one next season.

      Delete
  27. Don't you wonder how the hormone surge of the mating season can cause a color change in a bird ... like a light blue bill? I am facinated by this. I have seen the Ruddy Duck up in Wisconsin with his blue bill and couldn't believe my eyes. Nature is so amazing and it never stops.

    My only experience with a war ship was a Destroyer docked in San Diego. My FH's college roommate took us on a tour of it and when I got off, I had sea legs ... I do better on a pontoon. I am still enthralled with the size of the aircraft carriers and their importance in keeping the peace or protecting the homeland. There is so much history in the USS Lexington. I think it is wonderful that you are aware of it and share the information.

    My cats are so spoiled that they probably won't even notice that they are getting extra hugs tomorrow. That said ... I am babysitting some cuties and will make sure they have a special day. They deserve it, especially since thier favorite hugger isn't home.

    One last thought, Hoot'n' Annie ... I so agree with your "OMG"S" over the Kardashians. I don't get it ... I really don't get it. I can think of a lot of poeple I would rather see on the front of every magazine. Are we so out of touch ... and if so, I am glad of it. You have a great week, Hootin' Annie ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...nature is phenomenal to be sure. Oh yes....that celeb gossip is so boring.

      Delete
  28. Great post, Anni! I love the blue bill on the ruddy duck! They are pretty while in their breeding colors.. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I don't have a cat but June 4th is also my son's birthday and he's a pretty cool cat so I'll just hug him instead.....lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...we both, then, have 'cool cats'!!

      Delete
  30. I hug my cat about every day. :). Love the duck with the blue bill.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, I quite agree about the Kardashians...gag. Who cares, anyway? I'm sick to death of seeing her and all the rest of 'em.
    Love the blue billed duck! I didn't know they changed colors.
    And I hug my kitties all the time. Your furbabies are adorable and I'd bet they get lots of hugs, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both about the celeb gossip. "Who cares"?

      Delete
  32. Hi, Love that blue bill on the duck... So pretty!!! And I love Ibises. I know what you mean when trying to take good white bird photos in sunny conditions.. I have the same problem taking RED roses when it's bright/sunny... Very difficult to do...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've toured the USS Lexington on one of my day trips to the coast. Never heard of Hug Your Cat Day but you can bet I will give Susie some extra attention.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Anni Lovely casts. I love the Ruddy bird and its reflection

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your ibis are different to ours. We have cream ones with black beak and legs (sacred ibis) and black ones with a white neck and belly (straw necked ibis). The cream ones are a real nuisance in parks and on the beaches as they scavenge around the rubbish collection containers and make an awful mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...too bad your ibis are so invasive.

      Delete
  36. Enjoyed your hodgepodge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as I enjoyed yours Denise.

      Delete
  37. Think I'll pass on hugging the cat. We have three cats, but I'm not a cat person. Funny how having children that love cats makes that I tolerate them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our children....one of two likes cats...the other not so much. lol

      Delete
  38. I haven't heard that song in FOREVER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's one of my favorites.

      Delete
  39. Loved the post and I had forgotten about the song. The birds rocked today...especially the blue billed duck.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I like cats very much, but don't have one. I loved your posting about the blue billed duck. What beautiful birds. It's always a joy to visit your blog and view the lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great pictures and info on the Lexington. Love the whistler, and the ibis. Nice shots. I always leave a night light on....get up so often during the night, it's kind've comforting even though I can usually get around in the dark unless something is moved. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....having something moved would be a challenge!!

      Delete
  42. Hugs to Tahoe and Winston!

    ReplyDelete
  43. No kitty to hug but I took a picture of a bird, does that count? I love those blue billed ducks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the bird photos were mighty sweet Sallie!!

      Delete
  44. Aw, I missed the Hug your cat day! But our three are spoiled rotten with everything they ever need or want and many random hugs. Love your post today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as long as they get some lovin'

      Delete
  45. You are so classy. I think you're the only one who picked classical music for number song! Wish I'd thought of it! Happy Hodgepodge! I'm all for never wearing rose colored glasses too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....thanks for visiting Bobbi

      Delete
  46. Wonderful variety Anni.... My cats are 12 this week and if they liked hugs, I would hug them a lot more.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  47. I could never be bothered to learn HTML, but now I'm regretting it as I think it would make blogging a lot easier and I could get my own domain. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. html can be a fun challenge.

      Delete
  48. Great post. Lots of info. Very sweet kitties. I am following you. BTW it was nice to find you again. Come on by you might remember me too. I was gone for awhile but I'm back. Have a great Sunday. We're gettin' rain in DFW. Praise The Lord.
    I'll be back,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...wish it would rain HERE Thanks Sherry

      Delete
  49. Once again, I've learnt so much from your blog. I didn't know there was a Hug Your Cat Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'never know what you'll find out here at Hootin' Anni's. LOL

      Delete
  50. Ha! Have I hugged my cat today? I am typing this on my iPad with one hand because one cat is sleeping on my other arm. And the other cat is right beside me. As usual, I am covered in cat hair...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I wear dark colors, Winston our white cat, loves my lap. And when wearing light colors, Tahoe our black cat, loves my lap. Go figure

      Delete
  51. I'm trying to catch up from last week's HP as I've been traveling. I missed Hug your Cat day, but we're dog people here : ) Wish someone were grilling me a steak tonite. It's raining here-cats and dogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....oh, hope you're enjoying your trip Joyce!!!

      Delete

.