my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


....Rubbish?

There is an arid, desert-prairie [chaparral] area just between here and the small 'burb of Flour Bluff, Texas that has a section that recently added new trails for walking, hiking, biking and birding. At one time when we were walking through here, Bud and I talked with an older gentleman that obviously lived here a lot longer than the two of us. He mentioned that this part of the trail once had a railroad track?!! Okay, maybe so, I didn't question, I just listened to his stories. But, after we arrived back home, I checked into it.
    ...from Wikipedia this: What is now Flour Bluff Drive [sic: it] was once a railroad branch going off Texas Mexican Railway to the Naval Air Station. Waldron Field, located on the south side of Flour Bluff... built during World War II
When we came upon a forked intersection we chose to walk the short incline to the bay to see what waterfowl we could spot. And on our left, behind all the desert-like plants and tall wild grasses, we came upon this highly graffiti-ized, huge, rusted out, what looks like the top of a water tank. Now I'm wondering that perhaps, if this may be remnants of the railroad cutting through this land, maybe this served as a water tower? The photo doesn't really give you much of an idea just how colossal it is...this may help: The tangled shrubs and thorny bushes surrounding the rusty object are probably 10-12 feet [3.68m] high. Who knows...but it's definitely rubbish.
linking to:Rubbish Tuesday.

read more on the TexMex Railway history...





Believe it or not, the last time this happened was in 2010 I believe...
Terri @ Your Friend from Florida tagged me with these questions:

1. Are you named after someone?  Yes.  My mother's sister who died in a fire.  My aunt suggested to my mom that I be named after Annie.

2. When was the last time you cried?   Watching the most recent episode of NCIS [April 29] about the homeless veterans and a runaway girl and their dog, Dave. The crime in this episode was selling of body parts from the bodies of the homeless who passed on and had no family, etc. . . illegally.

3. Do you have kiddos? Four!! Two human and two cats. The cats are still at home, the two human 'kiddos' have left the nest...both, long ago. By the way, I don't like the term 'kiddo'...too unfamilial.

4. If you were another person, would you be a friend of yourself? I hope so.

5. Do you have a guilty pleasure? At my age, there is nothing 'guilty' about any of my pleasures. Years ago, my favorite guilty pleasure was not doing the dishes [by hand] after dinner and doing them the next morning. Of course now that we're retired, I cook and BUD does the dishes [by dishwasher]. I don't feel guilty on that aspect either. lol
.
6. Do you like your handwriting? Way back in the 3rd grade I have Ms. Beale to thank for turning my cursive into 'pretty'. Over the years my handwriting has taken a turn to sloppy. But it's still readable....not like a Drs.

7. What’s your favorite cereal? I like cereals, but either cooked in some treat like Rice Krispie Treats or cookies. If I had to eat cereal in a bowl [as a nighttime snack...I don't eat cereal for breakfast, ever!] it'd probably be Sugar Pops [corn puffs] or Sugar Smacks [wheat puffs].

8. What’s the first thing you notice about people? Gosh, dunno actually. It may not be the first thing I notice, but I check out the clothes on both sexes...and what really makes me click my tongue and shake my head in disbelief, is the fact that women AND men wear house slippers or pj bottoms while out shopping. What's with that?

9. What is your eye color? Right now... Really patriotic. [red, white....and BLUE!!]. I just woke up as I type this, so there is bloodshot to make it red. Get me some eye drops and the red'll disappear.

10. Scary movie or happy endings? Can I say both? I love to watch something that scares me out of my skin...but I like movies with a happy ending also.

54 comments :

  1. Good Morning Bright eyes! What an interesting place to visit. I bet that was a water tower too! Like the quiz, love your answers and like knowing more about my friends! Oh, I don't do scary movies, eeekkk. Just can't do it. I love cereal, all kinds, the sweeter the better! Have 3, one boy and 2 girls, all grown and have kids of their own now. Oh jeesh, guilty is my middle name, I was taught by nuns, you know it I know that word! My middle name was my grandmother's name. Starts with an O, all I'm sayin!
    Have a great day, Miss Anni!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was raised Catholic too, but I was a bit more of a rebel. Never did like authority. lol

      Delete
  2. Oh boy Anni I agree about NCSI!!! Geez...
    Great Q&A. I'm named after the Shrine of St. Cecilia. Toward the end of her pregnancy Mama was reading a novel. The Shrine was referenced. Bang I had a name. I spent most of my elementary years spelling it and saying no it is not Celia...it is Cecilia.
    Hugs and Happy Monday
    St. Cecilia and Madi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...but that's a great name...and a wonderful way to remember how you WERE given the name.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for linking up. I am mad about your colorful rubbish. I suspect you are right. It sure does look like a water tank of sorts. My mother's favorite horse was named Old Betty. I've always accused her of naming me after that horse. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...so Old Betty was a roan?

      Delete
  4. I watch NCIS but haven't seen that latest one. I'll be ready with the tissues. I sure do miss Ziva. I went to bed with a headache and woke up with one, too. Darn! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alto I don't care for the 'new girl', I don't miss Ziva either. Hope you're feeling better.

      Delete
  5. I agree with you about guilty pleasures. There should be non. The only thing one should feel guilty about is not taking pleasures in life.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...enjoy life to the fullest.

      Delete
  6. What a cool picture, and a fascinating post! And I loved your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree also about the guilty pleasure. One should not feel guilty about taking time to do what makes one happiest; especially at this age. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...you and me both agree on that.

      Delete
  8. i really like your rubbish find! surely makes a great image!

    you're a big softie - crying at ncis. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can cry pretty easily. lol

      Delete
  9. i really like your rubbish shot.. and that is BIG i thought it was small from the photo... I cry in movies all the time, that is the only time i cry now, i used to be a cry baby, but that stoped about 20 years ago. my eyes are green, i love cheerios... my hand writing shows I should have been a doctor

    ReplyDelete
  10. That would be so cool to happen upon, it's a great capture as well! Thanks for such an interesting bit of rubbish! Sometimes other people's junk or abandoned stuff is just marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. An interesting find, but even better was the old storyteller!
    I am named after my paternal grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, I love listening to 'older' people [who am I kidding, I'm there in age too] regaling stories of the past.

      Delete
  12. Whatever the object is, it's really neat! The graffiti adds character. I enjoyed reading about you in the Q&A section. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am named after someone, too. My grandmother. But my mom also had the same name. Three of us in the house, all with the same name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool Ginny....except for when you're working on a family's genealogy. LOL [it can get confusing then]

      Delete
  14. Thanks for "playing" along, Annie! I enjoyed reading your answers. I saw that NCIS episode too. It was sad.

    That water tower just rusting away seems sad, too, but it could also sure be a hazard! Interesting history, though. We have several trails here, made from old railways. Doing away with our rail system was not a good decision. I think we destroyed something good, and something that could be saving fuel and money today, had we not torn up so many rails. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...good questions in the tag Terri.
      I think the railway system is/was just too costly to continue when comparing shipment by semi trailers.

      Delete
  15. That is one big piece of rubbish! I bet you're right about the origins of it.
    I'm a crier - at movies and tv shows. I didn't see that NCIS, but I sure do like that show!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seeing anyone out in public in pajama pants really drives me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cool find for your rubbish entry.. I must have missed that NCIS..I ended getting stuck on my ancestry research, I am not sure if I am named after someone.. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand...genealogy can take hours!!!

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. ...you make me smile, Denise.

      Delete
  19. There's a lot of areas around where I live where there used to be train tracks but there are no longer any trains. Sad how they have faded out in so many places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep....I guess it's the expense and labor involved. Cheaper by the semi? Dunno.

      Delete
  20. Until I read the explanation I thought it was a tin can laying on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, the bushes and shrubs should've given it away.

      Delete
  21. There used to be train tracks on the ranch along side Hwy 97. You can hardly tell there was a railroad there now it's all brushy. Once I found a rusty old milk can in there, brought it home and put artificial flowers in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I bet it really looked nice!

      Delete
  22. Maybe it's just because it's late and I'm a little bleary-eyed, but that rusty rubbish looks like it has a face! Do you see it? I wish we had more railroad tracks with the trains running and less big rigs on the highways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, especially when you're driving behind them on the interstate [or anywhere] and the truckers seem to swing and sway all over the place....scary.

      I will now have to go take a better look at the rusted out tank.

      Delete
  23. I haven't watched NCIS ever since my cookie obsession started! It was one of my fave TV series. The last time I cried was over a Thai commercial! Here's the youtube link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnRkFd1s_ZA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why. Thanks for sharing the link.

      Delete
  24. Love the water tank, the graffiti really makes it come alive. I was always a bit stumped at school when they divided us by eye colour as I have one blue and one green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooooo, how cool. Two different eye colors.

      Delete
  25. What a find for Rubbish Tuesday ! It was just a rusty tank...now it's a piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have vivid memories of learning handwriting in third grade- pity they don't even teach it anymore. In my last years teaching middle school, I couldn't even write in cursive on the board because they couldn't read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you posting that once a while ago...what a shame.

      Delete
  27. Hello Hootin' Anni,
    I like your rubbish that you bumped into. It could have been a water container.
    I'll play along with the ???'s.
    1. I was named for my grandfather. I didn't come out a boy for George, so that's why I have this name Georgette.
    4. You know I have often thought of doing a post of something my daughter #2 said when she was about 14. "You know Mom, if you were my age, I know we would be best friends."
    Years later, the fact is...we are.
    7. Oatmeal.
    10. I don't do scary. I love the movie "Serendipity." Now that's a chick flick with a happy ending for the two main characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe I've ever seen Serendipity before...will have to check it out. I too like happy endings...but I'm very much into any kind of movie for that matter. :-)

      Delete

.