MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Yes, we have bananas!!

On the island, near Packary Channel, there are several live oak mottes, and other trees and flowers, that attract birds during migration. Some of the neighboring homes have feeding stations with seed, fruit, hummingbird feeders, and bird baths. Bud and I spotted these colorful birds. The photo of what seems to be nothing but trees, enlarge it and see if you can find the Scarlet Tanager. [hint: look under the "A" in Hootin' Anni's watermark]--


Orchard Oriole


Female Baltimore Oriole


Look closer...see the red spot in the middle?  It's a....


...making use of the zoom lens, spotted: Scarlet Tanager!


Two love birds -- two Eurasian Collared Doves

linking to: Nature Notes, Wild Bird Wednesday, Our World Tuesday




- - -***- - -


HODGEPODGE
linking to: Wednesday Hodgepodge


1. Share something you appreciate (or something you appreciated as you were growing up) about your mother. Her devotion to family! I've always admired this.

2. A quote most commonly ascribed to Plato reads "Necessity is the mother of invention." When did this last play out in your own experience? A make-shift saw to get a top branch from the tree. I made a hand saw extension for Bud from an old broom handle...attaching it with Duct Tape so he could reach it [the branch] without getting up on a ladder.

3. Share one of the earliest memories you have from childhood. Going out in the tomato patch with a salt shaker, sitting there on the ground, eating tomatoes right off the plants!!! And, I had to be younger than six 'cause we were still living in Nebraska.

4. When did you last 'hit the mother lode'? What was it? Maybe it's not the mother lode per sé, but we had a free month of electricity = Just this month!!! No bill to pay.

5. What is/was your favorite dish mom made? Do you make that dish for your family/friends now that you're all grown up? She made the best, creamiest, macaroni and cheese. I loved it and requested it as often as I could. Her holiday meals were to 'die for' delicious too, but we all pitched in.

6. Mother May I? was at one time a popular children's game. It required no equipment or parts to play. What was your favorite childhood game where you could just turn up and play-no gear needed? All I ever remember playing was with 'gear'...like hopscotch [chalk & playing piece], marbles, kick the can, ....oh wait!---I know one we used to play was Red Light...Green light!

7. Which TV mom (past or present) is your favorite, and why? Marge Simpson!!! Why? 'Cause I won a trip to Disneyland with her. A radio talk show had a question :What TV mother is professional football players favorite mom:....I was the 10th caller in with the correct answer!! Airfare, a week's stay and entry to Disneyland.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
If you're like me in thinking, I always thought that bananas grow on trees. Well, think again. They don't. Let me start this post a different way. One day recently, we were at a stop light...waiting, waiting, for it to change to green for our side of the intersection. And waiting. We were quite a way back in the line of vehicles too. I got bored with looking at the bumper sticker in front of us, so I started looking around and I spied a banana 'tree'!!! And it was blooming!!! 'fessing up here; I've never EVER seen a banana blossom. Now, you ask: "Why is a banana tree not a tree?" Here's the answer in a nutshell...
    The roots and trunk do not contain wood tissue. Bananas are herbs. Altho, bananas are referred to as trees, they are perennials. They grow many, many leaves that wrap around a single stem which emerge at the top with a fruit-bearing flower stalk. The fruit fingers grow in clumps known as hands since they resemble a hand with fingers. The stem dries off as the fruit ripens and side-shoots rise from the underground corm to produce a new plant [like iris]. Bananas are sterile; unable to reproduce...yet, the corms have been known to rejuvenate 100 years or more. The banana plant is of the grass family!!!

I grabbed my cellphone and took these three pictures behind the yard fence where we were near while in the car....still waiting!


...and my participation of Rubbish Tuesday is published in the post below this one.  Or, click here

94 comments :

  1. Something I appreciated about my Mama was the fact that she was a good seamstress. Back in those days there were no malls so we would catch a ride (she didn't drive) to San Antonio. We would walk up and down Houston street looking in the windows. She could copy what ever clothes was in style without a pattern, just from memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...now that is impressive!

      Delete
  2. My mom made yummy mac and cheese, too. Love that you won a trip to Disney. The birds are beautiful, as always and I was fascinated by the banana blossoms. When I lived in Dallas, I had banana trees all along the front of my house, but they were not the kind to produce fruit. They are not perrenial up here, but they will grow to a nice size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I would not think they'd grow in Illinois at all.

      Delete
  3. Your bird pictures are wonderful, as usual. I remember playing "statue" where we would twirl and dance around until someone yelled "statue" and we were supposed to stay that way. Forgot it completely until you mentioned those games. I also played hopscotch and loved it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh yes, statue. I remember that one too.

      Delete
  4. love those doves and the oriole on the orange is so sweet and pretty. beautiful banana tree photos to....i love eating warm tomatoes in the field and did the same as you many times. also stood under the grape vine and pigged out, popped a strawberry in my mouth and one in the bucket. seems all my good memories are related to food... like mothers pies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...same with cherry picking too...one in the mouth one in the bucket. Just how things are. lol

      Delete
  5. I love your bird pictures and I did find that tanager! I've never seen a banana plant before - very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen them, but never ever a flower.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I love that memory of eating the tomatoes off the vine. We used to do that. Nothing better. And, as always, the most beautiful pictures here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got the tanager!!! Yay for you, Anni. Gorgeous bird. :)

    My mom made the best spaghetti. My favorite thing about it was she would let me sample the meatballs after they were baked in the oven and right before she put them in the sauce to simmer. Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she baked 'em in the oven? I've not heard of this...I bet that step made them taste extra special...

      Delete
  8. Wow, you hit the jackpot! Orioles and a tanager. Terrific shots Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...when I first saw the dash of red flying in the tree, I thought it was a cardinal. lol

      Delete
  9. would love to see the orchard oriole AND the tanager, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...come on down to our fair city...well, wait 'til next season, I'm thinking they're 'bout now headed farther north.

      Delete
  10. What beautiful birds...you have such a variety down your way. Nothing exotic this year but I am pleased as punch to have 5 bluebird eggs in my bb house and my sweet humming bird family returned again.
    I LOVE MAC and Cheese too....now that is real comfort food.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...are you two keeping records of this event in photos?

      Delete
  11. Beautiful and colorful Orioles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always love seeing the birds! And I enjoyed your Hodgepodge and learned something new about bananas. Nice shots from your car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...ya, the cellphone...she's a bit cantankerous at times...some days the photos are good with the zooming in on an object while other times it's blurry.

      Delete
  13. As always,I enjoy seeing all the birds you are able to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your colourful birds. The scarlet tanager is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The tanager is really gorgeous! I loved hopscotch, marbles, jacks. No computers then, but we did not know what we were missing and had a ball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacks!!! I completely forgot about jacks...loved playing that game.

      Delete
  16. As always I enjoyed you bird photos. Interesting facts about bananas. Great writing ideas.
    I loved the scarlet tanager.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Baltimore Oriole and the tanager are gorgeous, I guess I just figured out how to leave a comment, Couldn't see it before until I scrolled down further. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really enjoyed all your captures, the birds are quite lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What lovely captures of colorful birds! The banana plant is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My dad always planted a garden when I was growing up and we used to do the same thing with the tomatoes. Nothing better than that

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely variety of birds, Anni! I love the Oriole and the Tanager.. The banana plant is cool. Great shots! Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Enjoyed your bird Anni. Yes, definitely had to enlarge the tree photo and there it was! Thank goodness for our modern cameras eh. Well shot :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad to read you enjoyed searching for, and finding, the tanager Susan.

      Delete
  23. Loved the entire post.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always enjoy your bird photos! Loved reading the nostalgic Hodgepodge! We have banana plants growing here, but we are not tropical enough for the fruit to grow. Yes, we call them trees, and now I know that they are not!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I remember "Red Light-Green Light".... Love all the colorful birds that you get to see. I haven't seen a hummer or an oriole here yet...they should wait a bit as there aren't any flowers or many insects yet...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that means they know to stick around here a bit longer maybe? Hope so. lol

      Delete
  26. A very nice collection of colorful birds, Anni. Love bananas since it's everywhere in the island where I grew up in the Philippines. You can actually make a salad of the banana "flower" and it's good when mixed with fresh coconut milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that about the 'flower' being edible. Hmmm.

      Delete
  27. ♥ these photos! Great series of shots!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awesome bird pictures, again, Anni! I had no clue about how bananas grow, apparently, and I found your information to be very interesting! I forgot about Red Light, Green Light...loved that game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...me either....I was intrigued from the get go when I spotted this 'tree' from the car window.

      Glad you enjoyed this April.

      Delete
  29. How fun to win a trip to Disneyland! We loved Red Light Green Light too, better than Mother May I because Mother May I was more subjective : ) Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love your colorful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Interesting to read about bananas, thanks for the info! I knew they weren't a fruit (thanks to QI, that obscure quiz show on TV) but I didn't realise they were from a herb not a tree. I've learned something new today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...stick around, you may learn something else some day. LOL [kidding]

      Delete
  32. Ah, that mention of your mom's macaroni and cheese! My mom also made the best. And I've never been able to get my kids to like that kind of homemade mac'n'cheese. They want Kraft only. Isn't that crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...all I can say is "ewwwwww!!!"

      Delete
  33. Yes I knew bananas did not grow on trees. They are called hands and once the fruit is cut the plant no longer produces fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...but the new corms from the original plant spreads and creates More.

      Delete
  34. Oh wow! How did you manage to get a month of free electricity?

    Hopscotch and jump roping games used to be some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...we switched electric providers and they gave us a free month. Cool, huh?

      Delete
  35. HI Anni Very interesting post. When I am in Australia and up in Queensland, there are a lot of Banana plantations. I love all your bird shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hawaii has quite a few too....but mostly pineapple fields.

      Thanks Margaret.

      Delete
  36. That is a beautiful memory eating that tomato. How awesome that you won that contest! That is so interesting about the banana, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  37. oh marge simpson of course! I didn't like the Simpson's that much because i thought the Itchy & Scratchy segment was too mean. I am a crazy animal lover so anything violent against animals i would dislike! I hope you have a great week, I love the photos of your birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, I had to say Marge Simpson 'cause of the prize I won. Have a great week too Nikki.

      Delete
  38. I especially love the Orchard Oriole. Have never seen one. I just made a Pinterest Board in honor of my Mom...it was fun. I received the sweetest Thank You! She's a wonderful Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the orchard oriole is one of my favorites too.

      Delete
  39. Thanks for sharing your bird photos. Also, I did not know that a banana tree was not a tree. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a great day also...and thanks for the compliments/comment.

      Delete
  40. Duct Tape fixes everything! Very interesting about the bananas.

    I hope you can stop by and visit:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2014/05/hodgepodge-mothers-day-special-5714.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for stopping by today Coletta

      Delete
  41. Always enjoy your answers...to the hodgepodge questions. And I learned something new about bananas. I did not know that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you stopped by, then, Rose!

      Delete
  42. I loved the scarlet Tanager and yes, I did find it before you used the zoom lens! Our banana growers have to cover the hands of fruit with plastic to keep the marauding possums and fruit bats away as well as the birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet those critters are a nuisance!!!

      Delete
  43. Photos all stunning, as usual. Q&A great fun to read. And, the banana facts was very interesting. I never knew! :D

    ReplyDelete
  44. BEAUTIFUL...I was told there were Baltimore Orioles at a park I walked at on Monday...saw an empty old nest, but nothing new and no BO...your is truly great~

    ReplyDelete

.