RUBBISH: things that are no longer useful or wanted and that have been thrown out. : something that is worthless, unimportant, neglected.
On a quiet day last Wednesday, Bud and I went out to the islands to walk along the channel in hopes of seeing some water birds. Overcast, and breezy, it kept most of the birds inland, except for a few terns and seagulls. We walked the entire distance [about a mile] from the island highway bridge, along the channel, all the way to the end of the jetty jutting out from the shore. The sea was quite calm, but of course, always currents which makes for the wonderful ocean spray and froth wash up once you walk the entire distance coming upon the last of the huge boulders. We watched the waves, photographed some terns, and enjoyed the mist blowing into our faces. Way off to our left as we looked to the horizon and day dreamed of pirate ships and booty, we spotted some surfers testing their skills while riding the waves. [Now, here I must mention again...to me, this is NOT surfing...more like boarding. These 'wannabe' surfers really need to go to California, or even Hawai'i to know just what surfing and waves are.] Anyway, after taking some photos, we walked back to the car. Along the jetty, I spotted some rubbish. Didn't take a photo at the time...but turned around and snapped the shutter. My rubbish for the week is a Fish Hook Removal Tool...long neglected and left behind only to rust with the salt water and neglect---
The closer we came to the end of the jetty, the calls of the terns and gulls were muffled by the roar of the surf pounding against the rock formations. The last 10 feet or so of the walkway is always wet and slippery. You must watch your step carefully to not lose balance and pay attention to the waves coming in...easily washing you out to sea!! The bird photos 'on the water' along with the crashing wave images are Sandwich Terns...
...and on the beach, Royal Terns
linking to: Nature Notes, Wild Bird Wednesday, Our World Tuesday, Rubbish Tuesday
- - -***- - -
linking to: Wednesday Hodgepodge
1. It's still May, right? When were you last in the middle of something that might be described as mayhem? Road trip...coyote...crash...front bumper cracked...fell off....highway mayhem.
2. When did you last feel dismayed? ...by this question!! LOL...seriously, I was dismayed when the Prez was re-elected?!!! [as of this posting on Tuesday...909 days 'til a new one is elected. I guess we could end up with one worse in office...then, I'll be dismayed again. Come back and ask the question on Jan. 20th of 2017]
3. What's a food combination you like, but other people may find strange? I love munching on salty potato chips while eating a banana. I guess my banana/chips isn't so strange, but I could post this: Bud LOVES peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches....ewww!!
4. "It is never too late to be what you might have been." Do you think that's true? Why or why not? Logically; impossible. Being what you wanna be is a whole different story.
5. US News and World Report listed the best historic destinations in the US as follows-Washington D.C, Philadelphia PA, Williamsburg VA, Charleston SC, Boston MA, Richmnd VA, Savannah, GA, Santa Fe NM, Yellowstone, San Antonio TX, San Francisco CA, New Orleans LA, and Charlottesville VA. Of those listed how many have you seen in person? Which two sites on the list would you most like to see in person? Never seen Williamsburg!! I would always go back to Washington D. C. ---it's our nation's capital, and there is ALWAYS something to do/see....and the second would be San Francisco....the hills and bay!!
6. May is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month. If you had to participate in a single fitness activity for the next half hour, which activity would you choose? Not because I 'choose'...but I'm in the middle of painting and redecorating the living room a bit, so it would be the physical fitness of climbing up and down the ladder!!
7. What did you like best about the city, town, or neighborhood where you grew up? My backyard, neighborhood was the Colorado Rocky Mountains!!
8. Insert your own random thought here. Abide by this and you'll keep America Beautiful! [or take it as a play on words too...whichever]---