“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






From Generous Donators, We Have Beauty at Our Footsteps...

Here we are at Hans Suter Wildlife Refuge. The land, maintained by the Parks and Recreation Department of the city, was donated by the Suter Family....
As we walk, the boardwalk itself is all we're supposed to utilize; the open field from this area is a protected area. On each side of the fenced in path, it is posted with "Stay on the Boardwalk. Protected wildlife should be left undisturbed". Sadly, Bud and I have spotted some that do not respect nature and mar it!! On the left as we head out to the bay shores, there is feeder canal, and on the right side, open fields with occasional pools of water, depending on the rainfall. Year 'round the area is mostly green, lush, and woodsy, until the edge of the woods opens up to view the bay waters and find the shorebirds. From the parking lot, you enter the walkway, and cross a creek...then the posted, fenced in boardwalk begins...


...then, the open area to Oso Bay




...another area in town, Blucher Park, we spotted some Orange Crowned Warblers stopping in for a lube job, and a rest area on their migratory trek north. Most often, the orange crown isn't visible, but I got lucky while one bathed, the crown showed nicely!!


This parkland, within the downtown area, was donated by the Blucher family. Across from this park, on the other side of the street are Blucher Family Historical homes. George Blucher's home, the patriarch of the early Blucher settlers, is now a Bed and Breakfast. Along the street, side by side, other Blucher family members have/had homes. Another, now the Nature Conservatory is housed within. I'll post photos of this another time. Blucher Park is a hot spot for Spring and Fall migration. In April, the Audubon Society of Corpus Christi holds birding tours each Sunday, weather or not, for avid birders and photographers. The knowledgeable tour guides help and assist identifying and sighting several species of birds during these seasons.

linking to: Nature Notes, Wild Bird Wednesday, Our World Tuesday






HODGEPODGE

1. Since these questions are posting on the first day of April it seems only right to ask-when was the last time you did something foolish? If you can't answer that one, try this one-when was the last time someone fooled you? I'll answer with the 2nd part of the question: Well, it wasn't the last time someone fooled me, but since it's that time of year...OUR DAUGHTER....this is her birthday today. And for some reason the OBGYN thought all along she was a boy. We didn't have the sonogram or the testing for sex done pre-natally back that many years ago, so for months her name was Michael. On April Fool's Day, 45 years ago today...Irene was born!!! Tho, Irene is my mother's name, our daughter's nickname at times was, lovingly, Irenie without the weinie.

2. What's the last biography or non-fiction book you've read? Was it any good? Petra's Legacy...a biography of the Texas Ranching History...the matriarch.

3. Garlic-friend or foe? What's your favorite dish made with garlic? I love garlic, but not foods too heavily doused in it. Spaghetti MUST have garlic added, and I also serve garlic toast as a 'side dish' - Also, when I make Mexican food from scratch, garlic is essential.

4. Several Spring flower festivals happen in the US during the month of April. Of those listed, which would you most like to see in person...The Skagit Tulip Festival in Skagit Washington, The Dogwood Arts Festival in Knoxville Tennessee, The North Carolina Azalea Festival in Wilmington North Carolina or the Daffodil Festival Weekend on Nantucket Island, Massachussets? Tho azaleas are gorgeous, tulips would be something to see. I've seen the tulips in Holland, Michigan ----the colors will astound you!! Tulips and all the colors would be my choice.

5. How do you choose which blogs to read? What is something that will make you stop and read every time? Something that makes you say, 'eh, think I'll skip this one and move on to the next'? I know having little text in a post is more 'protocol' for most. But, I'd prefer that a whole story be told not necessarily condensed like Reader's Digest. Actually, the blogs I read are listed on my Sidebar!!! Those, if I have time during the day, I read each time one is posted with something new! AND...I also choose to read a blog post from someone that was kind enough to leave me a comment. It's only good ettiquite.

6. April is National Mathematics Education Month so tell us, when did you last use math? Math, around here, is used every day!! Seriously.

7. In honor of the A-Z challenge kicking off on April 1...choose one word beginning with the letter A to describe your yesterday. Active!!

8. Insert your own random thought here.
...just another image, with an added insert [insert...get it? INSERT a random thought? ---never mind], of the park area mentioned above. I always tend to stop and admire the lush, green vines and flowers!!



linking to: Wednesday Hodgepodge

96 comments :

  1. What a lovely boardwalk visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks lady fi...and thanks for hosting.

      Delete
  2. I'm coming over to sample some of your mexican cooking Anni, and don't be mean on the garlic.

    Last book - that's easy. A bird book, it always is when you have a one track mind.

    Shame about those folk wandering off designated paths. We have them over here too- usually with a dog off the lead where there are ground nesting birds I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...and another point in this area mentioned with the boardwalk, there are guys fishing---and it's POSTED!! Unbelievable.

      Delete
  3. You have such beautiful parks and recreation areas to visit!! Thanks for sharing all the beauty with us every day! Well, please let Irenie without the weinie know that my folks thought I was going to be a boy, too. Surprise!! What a hoot that your surprise happened on April Fool's Day!! Love it - great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, in our family, she's the 'joke' played on us for so long. I'm sure she's tired of hearing about it all too. lol

      Delete
  4. Cute little warbler. That boardwalk is calling my name. There is one at a wildlife preserve near Jackson, TN. I always enjoyed walking out over the water. Nice pic of the vines, too. I always like reading your posts...with a story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, this particular boardwalk goes only to the water's edge. I think you're thinking piers?!! Those are wonderful to walk on also. I remember the last time we were on a pier, we spotted a puffer fish which I'd never seen before. I hear they're poisonous?!! Not sure.

      Thanks for the positive feedback.

      Delete
  5. Yes, the Tulip Festival in the Skagit Valley is one I visit every year. You are right to add it to your list. And I've never seen an orange crowned warbler, you were indeed fortunate to get that picture. I did a little work in my garden yesterday, since March cooperated and went out like a lamb. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...gardening is always a good pastime!!

      Delete
  6. it's a pretty place. like that orange cap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen 'em a couple of times...but never with the orange 'exposed'.

      Delete
  7. really beautiful, both places. we have the same things here, beautiful preserves donated to preserve the land and the eco system and critters...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...but it's always such a shame to see others abusing their rights. Especially when posted otherwise.

      Delete
  8. Hi Cutie, Lube job, huh???? ha ha --how funny... that area where you hiked looks incredible. WOW... You had better enjoy all of these kinds of things this month before the hot summer weather gets there... YES, people do disrespect nature.

    I love garlic and we cook with it quite often... However, when one of us eats garlic--the other one HAS to also!!!! ha

    I've definitely been to the Dogwood Arts Festival in Knoxville. Love it.. Bet the dogwoods will bloom late this month--like everything else.

    Ah--blogging. I love it --but just wish I had more time to read comments. I have no problem writing a blog --but just can't get to ALL of the people who come to me.. I love blogs which SAY SOMETHING... I go to some blogs which never seem to say anything which would be of interest to many people. And some people just blog about the same things over and over... Gads! I tend to like the personal blogs better--where people talk about themselves, their lives, their families, etc.

    I use Math constantly since I have to add up all of my calories, fat, protein, fiber, carbs EVERY single day....

    My "A" word: AWESOME.... I do have such a terrific life.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's always good to read your positive feedbacks...and glad to read that your month was 'awesome'.

      Delete
  9. Anni what a beautiful place to stroll with a camera on a spring day.
    #1 was funny. First Happy Birthday to your beautiful daughter.
    20 years ago my daughter was casually acquainted with young man she found quite interesting. She told me he asked her for a date. I cheered and asked when she said the day. I did a quick calculations of the date. Before I knew it I jokingly said that is April Fool's day are you sure he is serious. She wasn't amused.Well he did show up and was very serious. This August they celebrate their 16th wedding anniversary.
    Hugs
    Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember this story M&M!!!

      Delete
  10. A lovely place for a stroll Anni. We have a similar area about a block away from our house, I love going there. The little warblers are just so cute with the little orange head tufts.
    #3 garlic, I love it, but it doesn't love me!
    #6, I have a list of favourite blogs that I read every day, and I always try to get back to someone who has commented on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garlic doesn't love me either if used too heavily.

      Delete
  11. gut es ist ein begrenztes Stück welches betreten werden darf..
    den viele Leute achten die Natur nicht..so ist es gut
    Der Vogel mit der KRONE..
    wunderschön

    einen LG vom katerchen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love people that love and respect animals.:)
    funny about your daughter! Happy birthday to her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That area looks like a wonderful place to explore and enjoy nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ,,,it is for the most part...sometimes the city park has transients sleeping under trees in the park's densest areas tho.

      Delete
  14. Lovely serie, beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The warblers are very pretty! I've been reading mystery books lately. My girls joke that I like to murder people. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...your girls are being funny.

      Delete
  16. I can see the orange crown well, wish I could visit here. What are the purple flowers? I'll tell you an April Fool's prank that really happened. Taco Bell took out an ad in many papers, saying that they had bought the Liberty Bell, and were now calling themselves "Tao Liberty Bell"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, I haven't an idea what flowers they are...they're just pretty. I believe it's Cherry something. LOL

      Cute about the Taco Bell.

      Delete
  17. When I woke up this morning I could hear the robins singing. What a lovely sound. I don't think it was an April fool. I'm pretty sure spring is here to stay. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...in my opinion...there is nothing better than bird song to wake you up in the morning!!!

      Delete
  18. Beautiful shots. The ferns are so lush and such adorable birds.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photos of the foliage and birds. I hope not too many people will spoil the beauty and natural surroundings so that others many enjoy too! Have a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Anni ... love your pictures ... have never seen an Orange Crown Warbler around here. Thanks for taking us on a walk through this beautiful area. Enjoyed reading your HodgePodge too. Hope we have showy bluebonnets this year, but the ones in our yard are only about two inches tall now.
    Thanks for visiting Timeless Treasures and glad you like the heat lamp light.
    Happy Spring.
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for visiting Audrey.

      Delete
  21. Nice sighting of the warbler, it is one I seem to keep missing.. Looks like a great place for birding. I get upset when I see people going off trail, maybe they do not read? Lovely photos, have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Eileen. Yes, it upsets me too.

      Delete
  22. What a beautiful place to walk around!
    Happy Birthday to Irene - she's got a great birth date and story too. :)
    I love garlic, but it stays with me far too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's supposed to be good for you and your all around health tho, so staying with you is good?!!!

      Delete
  23. Love the boardwalk shots and the story about your daughter is just too funny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irenie without the wienie? I haven't called her that in years...but at the beginning, she giggled. Now, she probably wouldn't like it.

      Delete
  24. You got the orange crown visible on the warbler! I did not see that when I had the chance to shoot them. Good job! I think it's wonderful when a family donates land for others to enjoy. Very nice you have that nearby.

    So glad you saw The Big Year and loved it!! Somehow I knew you would. Now when my birding friends talk about "fall-out" and "northerly winds" I'll know what the heck they're talking about! I had no idea until I saw that movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did!!! I did love that movie. And I couldn't believe my luck with the orange crowned. I've seen 'em many times, but never had the luck of having the orange exposed like in this photo group.

      Delete
  25. Happy birthday to your daughter. Missing my Mama and my deceased husband Mel today as they both liked to tell little white lies on April fools day then correct it and laugh like crazy at me because I fell for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Paula. I have days like you're having. Some days it's more heavy on the heart, I understand.

      Delete
  26. HI Anni That certainly is a lovely place to walk and observe birds and you were fortunate to be able to see the crest of that little bird while it was drinking. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty happy to have the orange crown show!!!

      Delete
  27. I love your pics of the nature reserve, Anni, and it's a real shame some people can't respect the signs and do as they're told. I enjoy birds, too, and love to see the different kids you have compared with ours. Your hodgepodge answers are good...especially the last about inserting a random thought...funny!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful blog, love Nature images!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dearest Anni; Oh, how wonderful to have these places you can enjoy nature, most of of all birding♡♡♡ I truly AM envious :-)
    I LOVE your beautiful pictures of birds, Orange Crowed Warbler is SO cute♪ And I thought the pictures were one collage, but I found that the each pictures got enlarged!!! So surprised; I wish I could learn how to do it from you p;)

    Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, again Ms. Anni;
      Thank you SO much for the comment today♪ Yes, I kow the clicking pics can be slide-show, but it is SO hard to layout like yours. Pictures keep changing places in the writing form (^^;) I have to make it one collage with small pictures. I like mosaic but I wish I could put pics the way you do p;)

      Love and hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako
      I just finished my teaching class and my husband is waiting dinner :-) I'll visit your new post tommoro.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  30. Awesome post. Hope your daughter has a very blessed birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Morning, Anni! You have some of the prettiest places to go exploring and take pictures...lucky you! I loved story about your daughter...hope she had a Happy April Fool's Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...she doesn't know what to expect on her special day!!! But she has fun with it....that's what counts.

      Delete
  32. Love the boardwalk shots! I'd love to have something like that for walking and exploring. Happy Belated Birthday to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such great bird photos!
    It's sad, isn't it, that when you walk in a place where many have devoted time, energy and money to create beauty, that you come away remembering those who defile it?

    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, and defile is a definite...always leaving their trash behind makes me very angry!!!

      Delete
  34. I loved walking the boardwalk with you. Your pictures are amazing. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's a great, most always, quiet area too!! That's what I like best.

      Delete
  35. You saw they tulips in Holland, Michigan?!! My parents live nearby. The festival is something they attended for several years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My MIL grew up in Grand Haven Michigan...we often went there the right time of year. LOL

      Delete
  36. Love your first answer...and the birds too...especially the one on your page header. I too share that number one answer. When I was expecting my first child the Ultasounds all showed a boy....I decorated for a boy, traded in all the girl gifts for boy ones....and on June 23rd the OBGYN and I were both shocked when Kathryn was born. My sister in law took all the boy stuff back and exchanged it for girl stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...what a dilemma huh? But, I still like the idea of not knowing. There is just something about the element of surprise.

      Delete
  37. I really think people have a tough time with the reading of the signs. Perhaps it makes them feel rebellious to do the opposite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you're probably right in your assumption I imagine!

      Delete
  38. I always look forward to your nature photos and the information you post. Learning is more important to me than it used to be. You are a good teacher with your accompanying text. Sadly, there is no preserve like yours here in my neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...all that that you posted here is so very nice of you!!! Thanks Ms. G

      Delete
  39. What a gorgeous park!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I like the warmth I imagine when I look at your photos, Annie. I like a blog that tells a story, but sometimes I "read" the story through the photos and that's good, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...being outdoors with your grands sounds perfect Barb!!

      Delete
  41. Oh I would love to take a walk there enjoying what nature has to offer..Good thing that we still have natures lovers out there to preserve habitat...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a beautiful area especially this time of year---and in the Fall!!

      Delete
  42. Love the park!!! I miss taking my daily, weekly walks there!!! love the pink rosettas
    or spoon bills that were there, i thought for a bit I was going crazy seeing pink pelicans but quickly found out what they were. Thank you for sharing and bringing back awesome memories for me. Please stop by an see some of my recent birding pics :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I enjoyed your photos of the birds and look forward to a progress report on the dove nest.

      Delete
  43. Thanks for sharing this visit to the refuge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you for visiting Linda.

      Delete
  44. Lovely post Anni, however you have gone and done it....... done what? you ask

    Possibly the best bird in the world has made it onto your header.... thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree....it's a beauty. Wish I could travel to find one in real time!! I don't think I'd stop talking about if I did.

      Delete
  45. Beautiful place to go walking.

    ReplyDelete
  46. The boardwalk shots are awesome, Anni!

    ReplyDelete

.