“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MY PHOTOS ARE NOT TO BE STOLEN FOR PERSONAL USE





Whazzzup?

...well, I'll tellya what's up! This:

This fence line is at a birding area on Mustang Island....the parks department, lately, has been working on improving the area, and adding a bit of color here and there along with new viewing areas along the path...this is a new trumpet vine addition...


linking to Good Fences

1] The FOS - in birder lingo this means First of the Season - a single, female ruby throated hummingbird showed up at our feeder. That means ol' Anni needs to get busy and fill the other three feeders for our yard/sanctuary in anticipation that dozens will begin to show up throughout April and into early summer!! I know last year I was filling all four of our small feeders every morning!! And they'd be empty the following day. Only time will tell as to how many will be here this Spring.

2] Speaking of last week...we had one freakishly hot day...the temperature soared up to the mid 90s [ya, you read that right!!] Early in the morning, misty and hazy sky...we expected a scorcher!! The power went off shortly after 5PM that very day. I'm sure it was the influx of workers arriving home and turning on the A/C. Too much sourcing all at the same time. A power surge!! It did cool back down to the more 'normal' temperatures by nightfall tho, and remained in the normal range for the remaining days of the week. I hope this isn't something that will occur often. At least until June...with Summer temperatures, not in late March. We could use more rain too!! Bring it on.
linking to: Skywatch Friday

3] In my last post I mentioned the generosity of city residents from long ago who donated land to the city; making them wildlife preserves for us to enjoy today. In the middle of downtown, the Blucher Park is one. I also mentioned that one of the Blucher Family historical homes is now a Nature Conservatory. I've walked into the back yard a few times in hopes of seeing some chimney swifts soaring and diving around their man-made chimney that is on the property. Anyway, this house, now the conservatory, stands directly across from the Blucher Park where Bud and I go birding a lot during the Spring Migration, and it's nestled between two other historical homes from the Blucher family....one on the corner lot, now a bed and breakfast, and on the other side of the conservatory is a law firm - also a renovated historical home of the Blucher family heritage.  The park itself and Bed and Breakfast of the patriarchial Blucher is on the Texas register of historic value.  The following is of the conservatory:

...and the back yard is also like a park in its own right. Here there are bricked walkways, benches under massive oak trees, native plants and flowers along with a man made chimney for chimney swifts that are on the endangered list. Plus a koi pond with gigantic koi [fish] and small trickling, relaxing waterfall, and water lilies...




4] Baseball Season began this week!! Sadly, for me, my favorite player, Derek Jeter, will call it quits at the end of this year. He announced many weeks ago that he plans to retire. And the Yankees opening game for 2014 was with Houston Astros, IN HOUSTON...and I didn't get tickets. Of course, I hate driving in Houston...even to a ball game. Nothing lost --but it would be nice to see him play in person. Oh well. By the way, Astros kicked Yankees butt in the opening game. Whooohooo!

5] Irene texted me a photo of my youngest grandson. In his tuxedo!!! In preparation of the Senior Prom. My goodness. Some days it's just way too difficult to picture him that age already. Why, I can remember Irene's prom photos like it was just yesterday!!  And on top of that....the doorway is just behind him...those are 7 foot openings!!!  And he's just inches below....I still have him pictured a newborn...and now look, he's grown into a full-grown adult!  Does this make me ancient, or what?!!!  Good grief.



92 comments :

  1. thanks for linking to good fences! i'm hoping my trumpet vines do well here, too. :) love the koi pond, and handsome grand! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fence with the trumpet vine! I need some of those vines on my chicken yard fence. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as long as the chickens leave them alone...dunno if they'd be poisonous for them or not.

      Delete
  3. Oh I'm jealous....of your humming bird. I have a post ready to auto tomorrow re:
    lack there of!!!

    Anni your grandson is such a handsome young man and I love the yellow accents.
    I also want a float!
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...patience grasshopper!! They'll arrive.
      Thanks M&M

      Delete
  4. That is so pretty! We received a blanket of snow here last night. Bo pretty vines for me for awhile.
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...still snow? I'm so glad I'm this far south. lol

      Delete
  5. I always enjoy the things you share, thanks. Your grandson is a handsome young man, I know you must be very proud of him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your FOS, Anni! And I do hope you get to see your favorite at least once this year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's only a pipe dream to see him in person.

      Delete
  7. Your grandson looks nice all decked out for the prom. Our hummers are eating us out of house and sugar already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...really? So now I know where they went! To your farm.

      Delete
  8. I love the handsome photo of your grandson.
    The trumpet vine is gorgeous.
    Thanks for the birthday wishes for John.
    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU, Mildred, for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. our trumpet vines take over and go up telephone poles and light poles here. that should make that fence beautiful in no time. i like that house and would like to stay in a B&B in a beautiful preserve like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the Bed and Breakfast is a three story beauty in red brick!!

      Delete
  10. Your grandson looks very handsome! I've never grown trumpet vines but they are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they can grow out of control easily!! But they ARE pretty. Thanks Terri.

      Delete
  11. Hi Anni Yes I think that is a good idea toplant this vine to enhance this fence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hopefully with the subtropical weather on this island, it'll grow quickly.

      Delete
  12. I really appreciate those who leave property and those who make sure we have some green spaces left for the bird, critters and us to enjoy! That trumpet vine is going to be beautiful!
    Love the pic of your grandson in his tux. Time surely does fly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...time sure does fly by all too quickly these days.
      I agree with those who donate land.

      Delete
  13. I am very impresses with your hummer in flight! You have frozen him in time! The house is large and wondrous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am planting a trumpet vine this year, if the snow ever melts! Beautiful hummer, and your grandson looks quite handsome in his tux!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love those koi and the pond lily bud. Our hummers won't be here until late in June but I'm ready. Why do I think trumpet vine is an invasive plant and no one here has them? Handsome young fellow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess, if you don't control its growth, they can become invasive vines. But oh so pretty.

      Thanks Ms. G

      Delete
  16. Wow, it's coming along, inch by inch, and by summer's end it will be on top, I bet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they do climb fast when the growth really takes hold.

      Delete
  17. Oh my 90 degrees. It's been so long since I've felt temp like that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. He's a handsome, strappin' lad there, Anni! They do grow too fast. I hope we get dozens of hummers, too. So far I've only seen two. The days are warming up and I am loving it! Until the mosquitoes arrive. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday, I just purchased a couple of OFF belt insect protectors. Getting ready for those nasty buggers!! Thanks for the comment on our grandson. ;-)

      Delete
  19. Wonderful post for the day and what a handsome fellow there in his tux!!! Aren't you the lucky one, Anni!!! The koi are beautiful and superb captures as always!! Thanks for sharing all the good things with us today!! Have a lovely weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you kindly Sylvia.

      Delete
  20. Deares Anni;
    OH, such variety of beauties as always♡♡♡ It is SO surprising for me when I knew Koi can be REALLY expensive p;) Loved the Japanese atmosphere.

    You must be a proud grandmother; handsome young man♪♪♪ Always sweet to see these pictures, as my family (parents, brother) gone and without children. Have a lovely coming weekend.

    Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your grandson looks very grand in his tux. I hope he had the best time ever.

    ReplyDelete
  22. is there something on the fence helping the trumpet grow? very pretty! you sound just like my mom when she's talking about my son, her grandson. :) he looks handsome and very serious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the vine has little suckers on the back side of the vine part...that clings to just about anything. Thanks Marie.

      Delete
  23. Very nice fence! Great photo of your grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Trumpet vines send runners underground and take over the yard. Beautiful but territorial. How fun to be able to see your grandson all dressed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew they have suckers, but did not know they have runners. Thanks Jenny.

      Delete
  25. What a handsome guy! Time seems to fly doesn't it. Great post and Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit biased, but I agree he's handsome. lol

      Delete
  26. These are all great captures. I'm glad you told me what FOS meant. I'd have never figured that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol....someone else told me what FOS meant, otherwise it'd be two of us not knowing.

      Delete
  27. Hi! Sorry it took me over a week to get back to you. LOVED hearing from you and hope we can start visiting back & forth on our blogs. This is a great Random 5! I adore that house in Blucher Park. Oh, my, what I'd give to live in a house like that! :-) Great pictures of the koi, the fence with the vine...and how sweet to see your grandson in a tux! We aren't there yet (thank goodness!) but in a way I can't wait.

    I live SOOO close to Magee! I'm in that housing development nestled between Thornydale, Ina and Meredith. We would love to live further out....love the area around Reddington Pass Rd. but since we keep our grandson after school, it's too far, plus also would be harder to get to the V.A. My husband is a disabled vet. We lived her in the early 80s (Air Force) but were on the east side then. Moved here to be close to our daughter, SIL and grandson. I'm originally from AL,hubby from VA. But we have also lived in Texas four times! :-) The last time we were there was near Giddings, which is halfway between Austin & Houston. I worked at the Festival Institute in Round Top (google it if you aren't familiar...it's awesome!) And, like you, I HATED driving to Houston! :-)

    Look forward to seeing your comments again. I'll be visiting you too! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, there is a glitch in the blogger reading list ...the add button doesn't work [while everything else does.] I'll add your blog url as soon as Google/Blogger gets a fix.

      Thanks for visiting Marie...I know just about where you are!!! I used to walk those streets nearly every morning.

      Delete
  28. Time does go by fast, doesn't it? Beautiful trumpet vine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. too fast sometimes...not fast enough other times.

      Delete
  29. Nobody likes driving in Houston. Least of all the people who live here.

    Yes, you may use my photo. Spread the word. Maybe it will convince a few pet owners to clean up after their dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Houston traffic is horrendous, to be sure!!! Thanks, Jen, I added the sign [cropped from your photo] to my sidebar!!

      Delete
  30. this is beautiful and thank you once again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for visiting.
      Hope your mom isn't in serious condition? That was a shock to read today.

      Delete
  31. Lucky you to be seeing the hummers so early. I may see my fos hummer in May. Your grandson is handsome! And thanks for sharing on Saturday's Critters..Great photos, enjoy your weekend..

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nice to see the ruby-throated hummingbirds making their way north!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen her in a day or two now...wondering where she went.

      Delete
  33. die Fische so wundervoll..:D
    unser Teich ist seid letzten Jahr leider kaputt..die Folie ist wohl morsch geworden.

    einen LG vom katerchen zum Wochende

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that's too bad that the pond is broken.

      Delete
  34. Time keeps on rollin -- Wish we got rubies here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...sandy...hope your kitty gets better soon.

      Delete
  35. Noteworthy post and great photos for CC and SC ~ gems of nature ~ Happy Weekend to you ~ xoxo

    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Carol. Happy weekend to you too.

      Delete
  36. The hummingbirds will love that trumpet vine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do! I never thought of that, but you're so right.

      Delete
  37. Yes, we're all ancient. I love the park. We have a bitterly cold day, sure would love to have a heat wave here!
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...at least at times we feel ancient.

      Delete
  38. That fence is beautiful. How wonderful that you have hummers already, it will be at least a month before we see them here.
    Hope you are having a great weekend Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's foggy right now, but hope to have a sunny day today later. Hope you're having a good weekend too....and watch out for those 'squirrely' drivers out there on the roads.

      Delete
  39. i really love hummingbirds. enjoy the birdie in your header shot. neat-o!! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  40. I can see why a FOS like that would be exciting.

    Thanks for the vote on the competition - I'm not sure that the way the voting system has been laid out is very sensible!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  41. One good looking grandson! My son is the same age as your grandson, I can't wait to have a grandson. haha....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...He is handsome, but I must confess there is a little bit of biased opinion here. LOL

      Delete
  42. What a nice looking Grandson. No Grandchildren for us yet. I know what exactly what the first thing I'm buying my grand baby is a baby swing.

    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  43. Super nice photos you've got here! Its my first time to visit your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I used to feed the birds at my old place. There was also a bird bath outside the lounge room and I could watch the birds through the large glass sliding doors from my recliner. Now, I'm in a unit that's on the second floor, however, I still get to watch them as a lot of the trees are level with the windows. At present, the lorikeets are getting drunk on the nectar from the umbrella tree flowers and their antics are really funny. They will also dive bomb unsuspecting walkers, much to the walkers' surprise and my amusement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that would be a fun pastime for me too.

      Delete
  45. What a handsome grandson! Enchanted by your pics as always, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as always Veronica, your comments are much appreciated.

      Delete

.