MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Sunshine on my shoulder...



Friday, still cloudy and rain-drenched, we just had to get to the store!! By the time we arrived, just a couple miles' drive from home, we saw patches of blue in the sky!! As we reached the automatic doors to enter and pick out some groceries to refill our pantry...there was this really odd, bright, sphere casting light upon us all!!! THE SUN. Wowzers.


Okay, so we rushed around the store and behold...when leaving, the temperature outside was once again a balmy, tropical morning. One man, as he walked toward us mentioned "What is that in the sky?" Another man getting out of his car "The sun shines!!" We, apparently, were not the only ones in a gloomy state of mind/mood after nearly a week of drab days.



Guess what? Saturday and Sunday we didn't spend much time home after sunrise...at least during the daylight hours. Saturday, we went to the islands and spent most of the day walking along all the biking/hiking/birding trails. Went to the beach also. Just had a good ol' time in the sunshine and letting the birds' calls and songs brighten our day. Along the several treks, we saw so many different birds, it's a challenge to remember them all...shrikes, mockingbirds, pelicans, sea gulls, vultures, shoveler ducks, grebes, herons of all sorts [different species including, green, great blue, black crowned night herons and tri-colored], snowy and great egrets, redhead ducks, mallards, cormorants, falcons and hawks. A couple of white faced ibis [they're dark morph for winter, but a maroon red during breeding] flew above us. At another area, this time back in town in Corpus Christi, we went to the bay where there is a large observation deck for us...more pelicans and ducks, and skimmers. Saw two ospreys along the highway heading there also. While we were there, we picked up a conversation with another birder. He proudly showed off his photos on his iPhone...fabulous images. As we conversed with him, he told us of an area where the migratory Whooping Cranes [the largest North American bird!!] have been spotted. So.....

Sunday morning, you would have found us back in the car, traveling  to Rockport, Texas through thick fog, eventually crossing Capano Bay over to.... Lamar Peninsula on Goose Island. By that time, the fog was lifting and blue could be seen above us all around us. The other birder's directions from the previous day, so very accurate, that, once we got on the island, Bud spotted three Whooping Cranes [two adults and one immature; making up the family] almost immediately...Out came the camera!! As we finally parked at the boating ramp, we got out and walked the area along the peninsula, and enjoyed another bright, beautiful morning...seeing cranes of the Whooping and Sandhill kind, vultures, Muskovy ducks, tons of grackles, herons, moorhens, and egrets. One lone killdeer. Along the highway heading home, we spotted several hawks perched up on power lines searching for food scurrying around in the fields.

The following photos are from our many different walks along many different areas along the coast over the weekend. I will have my crane and heron photos mainly on my birding blog once I get them uploaded and readied for posting.


Oh yes, there were a few hours we spent at home once our outdoorsy adventures came to an end. I made home made spaghetti and whipped up a batch of garlic toast, tossed salad, and topped it off with red wine. In the other 'free hours of not traveling to birding areas' I did laundry and finished my sketch of my grandson. I took a photo of my sketch and texted it to Irene...for her approval. Her response, and I quote: "Ahhhhhh, this is precious. Awesome mom". So...once I got her approval of it actually looking like Clint, I decided that it will be framed. I bought a plain, simple maple frame and will have to have a custom made matting cut today. So, at first light, well...at least when the stores open around 9 or so, I'll be at the framing counter, ordering a mat. Dunno what color I'll choose tho. Will have to wait and see once I'm there. Once it's framed, I will share that here also. Stay tuned...

Today, Monday, it's gonna be another good day weather-wise so I imagine we'll not be home much again, then...Tuesday,  rain is predicted to return. Bah!!! :-(


Sidebar Linking to Michelle's Nature Notes

62 comments :

  1. It was so warm we had to turn the AC on. Weird weather, for sure! Love your pictures- I can never get good wildlife pics. The sandhill cranes were back when we went walking and they are fascinating to watch. I'm going to try and get some pics of them, and you will be my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we didn't use the AC...but it was a passing thought for a while. Can't wait to see your photos of the cranes.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you got to see the sun, at least for a short while, Anni. I don't think I've had sunshine on my shoulder for weeks now. I love your bird pictures and I'm so glad you share them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just spoiled is all...the sun is part of this area, and when it doesn't make its appearance, it's drab.

      Delete
  3. we are practically neighbors. I like your photos, especially the 3rd one. when you walk the coast to have mosquito issues? I drove down to a bird sanctuary NW of Galveston a couple months back and just stepping out of the car I was covered - and I am not exaggerating. Join FSO you and your area would add nicely to our group

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son lives in H-town!!!
      I just hope I remember FSO this coming week. Thanks for the invite Ginger.

      Delete
  4. Glad you had some sunshine.
    Sounds like you had a busy but enjoyable day.
    Thanks for the beautiful photos of birds and places I will never see.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  5. the white pelicans are amazing and the turtle standing up is fantastic..i would like to have the rock and its sign. so funny and true.. our weather people need it since they keep getting it wrong. can't wait to see the sketch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it framed today...now hanging on the wall in our living room. I'll try and post about it this week sometime.

      PS...The turtle is on a piece of flat wood jutting out of the pond.

      Delete
  6. It is always so good to be in a tropical country.

    Sunshine everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...until a hurricane threatens us.

      Delete
  7. Will like to see the sketch of your grandson. I'm trying to figure out what that turtle is doing. I've never seen one of mine do that. Mine are too cold to come out of the mud to eat lately. Very pretty pictures as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The turtles out in the gulf are freezing too!!!

      Delete
  8. Cute sign! Lot's of great birds on your walks Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Karen. But, really, your beach looks so inviting 'bout now.

      Delete
  9. I was very surprised to see the turtle rearing up! May I borrow the weather sign picture to send to a special weatherman in SC? It's neat!
    Bring on the sun! We could use some here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's actually getting a bit hot outside. But I'll take that instead of the freezing temps from the past week any ol' day.

      Delete
    2. I now see how the turtle is 'rearing up,' and the weatherman loved the sign. Ed Piotrowski WPDE: "that is too funny!"

      Delete
    3. yep...just a log for support.

      Delete
  10. We had sunshine yesterday - it was wonderful, except I ended up working a double shift and could only see it through the windows. :( It beats snow for sure! I love your photos and I can't wait to see that sketch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, the double shift doesn't sound like it's a good thing...I bet you were tired!!! [hopefully, your day off will be extra long then?]

      Delete
  11. So funny. And here in the Arizona desert, the sun is very overbearing and unwanted. At least by me. :) Too much of one thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, living in Tucson for nearly 10 years, I know just what you mean. There's hot, and hotter. And the monsoon season, when it strikes in the desert...even the rain gives little relief.

      Delete
  12. No sun here, Anni - just snowing and blowing. I come visit you to see the birds and flowers. Not sure I like the sound of "Serpent" River.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...never paid attention to 'serpent' until you mentioned it. Just think how lush and beautiful it's gonna be when the snow melts!!

      Delete
  13. Yay for sunshine and great out doors activity and bird watching!!!
    I love the weather sign.
    Hugs Madi and Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it makes more sense than the meteorologists most times. LOL

      Delete
  14. Birders heaven is what you are showing us. WOW!! I would love to spend time in area like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for Spring Migration...hopefully it will be as good or even better than last year's showing!!!

      Delete
  15. Can't wait to see the portrait!!
    You have the BEST life!!
    My step son has a ranch and he saw a sign like your 'weather' one and wants me to make one for him! It is so clever, that sign!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool...Linda, if you DO paint/make a sign for him...make sure you share it all from the beginning to the end of the project.

      Delete
  16. Anni, I would enjoy the life you are living, waking up and taking a walk on the beach and birding. Sounds much better than working. Wonderful birds and photos. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...trust me, it's great to be retired, but when it's cold and wet outdoors, life can be a bit boring. Work has its good points too.

      Delete
  17. I had sunshine on my shoulders today and that does make me happy!! Love your birds, I just love birds, period, of any kind. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...me too Cheryl. I love birds. Glad to know that the country is warming up a bit after such a bitter cold week last week.

      Delete
  18. Yay for sunshine! Glad you and hubby were able to get out and enjoy some birding. You guys saw a lot!! A really impressive list, I must say. Cannot wait to see the sketch of your grandson. Wish I had that talent. Thank you for the uplifting comment on my blog today. Happy birding!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that's what friends are for Gail. Hope you're feeling a bit better today.

      Delete
  19. Sunshine makes so much difference in the way you feel. Glad you finally got some. We had nice weather here for January anyway....lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...'for January anyway'. I know what you mean. Spring can't be too far behind, can it? Wishful thinking?!!!

      Delete
  20. Love the photos!! I almost took a picture of about 20 pelicans on our Lake Morton, today. I could see them from the drive-through at the bank, but just couldn't stop close enough for a good photo with my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling. I've spotted so many good bird photo ops and no place to pull off, or some other reason.

      Delete
  21. Glad your sun came out --and sounds like you had a wonderful weekend... We had RAIN here all day long... AND--more rain/snow is coming.... Fun Fun... BUT--that's winter in our area!!!!

    Great photos... Bet that spaghetti dinner was delicious!!! YUM.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that spaghetti WAS delicious. Even so when reheated. ;-)

      Delete
  22. I sure miss south Texas this time of year. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...this is a good time of year around here to be sure.

      Delete
  23. We were missing that lucky ole sun, too, during the cold, gloomy, rainy days that we were sick. Glad it's back out so it can roll around all day....love that Willie song. :) Hope your Monday turned out to be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Hi! Always nice to see you pay a visit. When you're absent for so long, you're missed. I enjoyed reading your most recent post and loved reading about the happenings.

      My Monday was a good one. And hopefully today will be too.

      Delete
  24. I feel depressed when it's dark and gloomy! Yayyyy for sunshine!
    Astounding photography as always, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for sunshine indeed!!! Thanks, always, for the positive feedback Veronica.

      Delete
  25. Sounds nice one site (River) for bird watching....

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your outdoor adventure shots, they are just awesome! Thanks for dropping in to see me, so kind of you! You are living in my favorite part of the world, we are there quite often. A sunny day for for you, I think! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you for your positive feedback Nancy!!

      Delete
  27. the green heron is a beauty. lots of great waterbirds for you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I always feel very privileged when I spot a green heron.

      Delete
  28. Great shots. I love your wonderful birding shots.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You don't know how badly you miss the sun until it reappears! Glad you found some blue skies. Loving your birds, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...that sun can boil you in the summer and yet, in winter you look for it to warm you. Human nature.

      Delete
  30. Yes we had a cold rain... Not lovely sun as you got. great photo series... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for hosting Michelle!

      Delete

.