my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Wild Bird Wednesday Hodgepodge...

WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY
Sidebar Linking - Hosted by Stewart

While at the bay waters yesterday, I spotted an unusual [at least to me] action of this brown pelican while it was preening. It did it a couple of times before I decided to aim the camera toward it and wait for it to do it again for me and my lens. I waited...and waited. It picked at its feathers, on one side, then the other, then twisted its head to its belly. All the while cleaning up. I was beginning to tire a bit as I held the camera aimed and readied my finger on the shutter button. I waited more...and waited even some more. Then, the head came up and I was trying to anticipate that the stance was coming...yep!! Sure 'nough!!! This is it---







* * -- * *



HODGEPODGE
Sidebar Linking - Hosted by Joyce


1. Are you a force to be reckoned with? In what way? Only when I'm really, really mad...I tend to throw things and yell. But in all honesty, it's been a long time since my temper has been so forceful.

2. What are two things you love about the wintertime? Or, if love feels like too strong a word, what are two things you 'like' about winter? 1] No daylight savings time!!! 2] Mild winter temperatures instead of extreme summer heat.

3. Pomegranate, kumquat, persimmon, kiwi, and guava are all fruits said to have health benefits, particularly during the winter months. Do you have a favorite on the list? Are there any on the list you haven't tried? Tasted 'em all. I like kiwi and pomegranate. I have a pomegranate tree in our back yard. I love everything pomegranate. Even wine. At a wine tasting event in Fredricksburg, Texas is where I first tried it... you can purchase this delicious wine. Even order it delivered from their online site...Wait...the site is down; being reconstructed, so I did the wine label search [D'Vine Wines] and found an affiliate of the winery in Dallas/Fort Worth. The pomegranate wine is: Texas Twister.

4. I passed a local church yesterday and noticed they had this on their outdoor sign- 'When all else fails, do the right thing.' Your thoughts? Hmmmm, that must be something that is used a lot, we have a couple of churches that have the very same signage. My thoughts? Of COURSE, everyone should do the right thing. But, in the eyes and minds of others, doing the right thing may be a failure, but in my mind...right is always RIGHT no matter, and that is NOT failing. Why would this even work...if all else fails? Shouldn't you be doing 'right' in the first place?

5. Do you ski? According to one list I've seen, the top 5 ski destinations for 2014 are-St. Anton Austria, Whistler Canada, Cortina Italy, Tahoe USA, and Zermatt Switzerland. Of the five listed, which would you most like to visit? We can make skiing optional if that helps the non-skiers with their answer. LOL...growing up in Colorado? Do I ski? Nope. Tried it.  First time out on skis I  bruised three ribs. Never again. I'd much rather fall off a horse and get back up on it. Of the countries you have listed, I would probably pick Austria, but not for skiing --- for history.

6. What's the last thing you looked for online? (Besides my blog!) Besides looking for the wine label this morning? [see #3] It would be the bird sightings for the state of Texas to see what particular bird species have been spotted locally. I try to check this every morning. But if not, I especially make a habit of it during Spring Migration.  Texas is a birding haven for migration. 

7. What saying, slogan, quote, or motto have you seen lately that inspires you for the new year? I haven't seen or read anything that has been an inspiration to me this month. Yet, some of the other bloggers have had some very good quotes ---quotations can be inspiring year 'round!!

8. Insert your own random thought here. Championship Playoff Game...Sunday 2 PM [Texas Time Zone] CBS!!!  Bud and I will probably go to a sports bar, have a couple o' beers and a burger...watch the game on a big screen TV since we no longer have cable at home.







[this photo of 'skinny' me was taken long ago, even when I had LONG hair!] Always a Bronco Fan. Win or Lose.

72 comments :

  1. A fun post Anni, pelicans are a neat looking bird and I enjoyed learning a little bit more about you. Great photo of you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great series of photos of the Pelican. They sure get into some interesting poses when they are preening. I love the photo of the skinny young you! I looked at some like that of me the other week but they made me depressed! Those were the days!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean...but I still enjoy life and I tend to not fret over weight gain. What the hey...life is more about how much you weigh, right?

      Delete
  3. Great serie of photos of these pelicans!
    The last one is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was worth the long wait and tired arms, then?!! Thanks Hans.

      Delete
  4. Pelicans are strange looking birds any way. It's actions are comical.
    I like your blog and answered your questions but only to myself. MB

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your Pelicans, Anni! I enjoyed your post and your answers. Have a happy week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...have a great week too, Eileen...and, thanks.

      Delete
  6. You are so fun, Anni! I have seen the white and brown pelicans do this with their beaks. It reminds me of a type of yoga as they stretch. Good catch with your camera. Your patience is admirable. :) Love the pic of skinny you and your long hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. long ago...long hair. Too much trouble. LOL

      Thanks Gail...I had never EVER seen this action before.

      Delete
  7. Those pelican shots are priceless! And that skinny shot of you? I love it! I was a Bronco fan when I lived in Colorado, and now I'm a Seahawks fan, but not a real gung-ho one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I can imagine. But I can't get myself to root for the "America's Team"...the D Cowboys. Ewwwww. They snookered the Broncos way too many times. LOL

      Delete
  8. Pelicans are comical and I admire your patience in capturing that last shot. I know only too well that quivering, aching feeling in the hands and arms as you wait for something to happen, which usually never does, so you were lucky.

    So you were a cute, skinny blond ... bet you still are. Being skinny isn't what makes you beautiful ... it's that friendly, smiling face. Great pictures ... all of them.

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly...but it would be nice some days to actually wear a smaller size. Trouble is, I like to eat too much. LOL

      Thanks Andrea. You're always so supportive.

      Delete
  9. Great shots of the pelican! I enjoyed your Hodgepodge!! A couple of our answers are basically the same! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, pomegranates and mild winters!!!

      Delete
  10. I think I have mentioned before how much I love Pelicans. That last shot is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like 'em too Karen. Glad you enjoyed the long awaited last shot!!

      Delete
  11. I need to come back to answer the questions...I enjoyed yours. And loved the pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Rose. If you want to answer the questions...go to Joyce's Hodgepodge link on my left sidebar and link up with her!!

      Delete
  12. LOL! I had to laugh at the last photo! That's awesome! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have seen our pelicans indulge in all those preening antics, but I have never seen the head tilted back quite at that angle - except when the mouth is wide open to catch a fish tossed by the fishermen. Great series of photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that stance is a 'first' for me!!! Thanks Gemma

      Delete
  14. I think pelicans are such amazing creatures. Very prehistoric looking still. We're rooting for the Broncos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that makes TWO families!!! LOL

      Delete
  15. I throw things and shut cabinets when really angry! Love the pelican shots.

    ReplyDelete
  16. pelicans are my favorite bird and these are all great shots. you have more patience than i do with my camera.. i slam doors when i am mad and my husband and i both get very loud when angry..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh I can get loud too. So says Bud. Glad you like the pelican photos Sandra.

      Delete
  17. Great pics, including the one of you! I'm with you on what you love about winter, too. I was able to get closer to the cranes, but the dumb little point and shoot camera I had didn't get a good enough picture. I will take daughter's much better camera out with me. I did get some beautiful ones of them in flight against the setting sun with her camera, so will keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...all I can say is 'keep trying'!!! You don't realize just how many 'flub ups' I've had since picking up bird photography. I couldn't even count that high!!

      Delete
  18. That pelican sure is limber! Wow! Great pics! Love the picture of you with long, blonde hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back April...you've been missed. Glad you enjoyed the post...and my long hair. Lol

      Delete
  19. Great shot of the pelican. I love pub food, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh me too .... it's a fun atmosphere also.

      Delete
  20. Love the pelican picture. I too want to visit Austria however not for the skiing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it looks like such a beautiful part of Europe, doesn't it?

      Delete
  21. That sure IS a stance of all stances I've ever seen! 2 years ago I had very long hair and after the broken shoulder, it was cut. So many people told me I look better with it gone. I miss it, do you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss the long hair, but NOT the continual upkeep. Most of the time I had it rolled up and pinned with a butterfly clip in the back.

      Delete
  22. BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO
    On the last picture Anni!!!!!
    I had to chuckle a bit my B has a time swallow pills...sometimes he looks like that
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too...I am okay with small tablets, but the huge horse tablets like multi-vitamins choke me up every time!!!!!

      Delete
  23. Great answers. I looked up some quotes and had trouble choosing just one. Although they were all more funny than inspirational. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Jill....funny's good!!!!

      Delete
  24. Your pictures are always so lovely and I enjoyed learning more about you. Wishing you a very nice day! Mildred

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I'm very happy that you stopped by for a visit Mildred!! Have a nice day yourself.

      Delete
  25. I'm a big Bronco fan also--but my reason is the Tennessee Vol, Peyton Manning.. Love that guy!!!

    Love the photos of the pelican.. You caught him in some weird positions for sure!!!!

    Love that last photo of you... I never had long hair like that... Right below the shoulders was the longest I think mine has ever been.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....let's just hope that Peyton can carry out a good game and win for us!!!

      Delete
    2. That pelican reaching for the sky is a HOOT (pun intended!)

      Delete
    3. Kenneth....I like the play on words here!!! ;-)

      Delete
  26. Mm… Pomegranate wine sounds good! I like many thing natural and not pomegranate; yogurt and Tootsie Pops come to mind.

    Totally agree with you on #4!

    I can’t wish your Broncos luck, but I’ll just wish for a great game. (Go Pats!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Win or lose, I think it WILL be a good game. Just hope so. Not one sided...but a close one. They're more exciting!!

      Delete
    2. I totallt agree with that! I don't mind cheering on the losing side as long as "the other guys" beat us because both teams played great games.

      In response to your comment on my Hodge Podge answers; of course the cocoa and schnaps go together. Weren't they made for that? :)

      Delete
    3. ...that sounds delicious!!!!

      Delete
  27. neat pics of the pelican and that last one is seriously awesome. That's some pose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..isn't it? I don't know what it's all about, or why...but I was determined to get that pose if I could!!

      Delete
  28. Look at you with your gorgeous long blonde hair! Those were the days, huh :) Hope your Broncos win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...so do I Kathy...and thanks.

      Delete
  29. You were/are a Babe, Anni! Glad you're showing off that Bronco shirt. I met a couple from Tahoe on the lift today - they had to come to Breck because they have no snow (or not very good snow).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....it's odd to read that Tahoe has no snow. At least not enough for skiers. That's good for the Colorado ski economy tho!!!

      Delete
  30. PS Forgot to say I love the Pelican shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks!!! And thanks for the Bronco compliment Barb.

      Delete
  31. Wow! Those pelican shots are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you very much edenhills!

      Delete
  32. I am with you - I am a force to be reckoned with only when I am really really mad - and that has only been twice! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I couldn't even begin to count how many times I've been one to be reckoned with. Especially when the kids were teens. rolf

      Delete
  33. What a wonderful image of you from back when ;) Lovely as you are now! That image you used to bring us into this post and others wow great shares! Happy weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have a fascination for pelicans. Here's a story to share - http://ofmiceandramen.blogspot.com/2011/10/old-man-and-pelican.html#comments

    Love that last pic of you, sweet lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too...pelicans are odd, yet as you say...fascinating!! Thanks for sharing the link.

      And thanks for the compliment.

      Delete

.