my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Monster Mash...

Random 5 Friday
Link found on my sidebar


Going through my photo folders on my computer, I tried to come up with 5 random --weenish 'monsters' to share - for a Halloween Theme:

1] This past summer while walking along the shores of the Padre Island National Seashore [National Park Entry Fee required], there is an old tree that somehow, sometime long ago, washed ashore and eventually settled in the sand-bed just a few yards from the beach. Most times, when we have been there, the brown pelicans are seen perching on the branches that jut out of the sea. On this particular day, early in the morning with the sky color dreary, the tree silhouette was baren and looked "monstrous". Of course, being who I am, I saw it right away and thought like Stephen King...a good subject for a horror story!! What do you think?


2] This year, driving along one of the main thoroughfares to get to shopping areas...off the street a bit, and into a residential area, a couple of homes had their yards decorated for the season. Naturally I stopped and took some photos of their yards. One home, the residents had their yard an entire graveyard with tombs all over plus some gory monsters swaying in the breeze from their trees. The house across the street had a HUGE Pirate Ship....


3] Naturally my witch collection. Tho most are not 'monstrous' in any term, I thought I'd add the newest in form of "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'"....just boots:


4] Now these next two photos, you really MUST use your imagination. Dig deep within yourself and you just may see what I saw on this one late September day [photo 1] at a city park here in town. Yes, it IS a tree. A live tree. In fact, the tree is called a Live Oak. But has nothing to do with it being dead or alive. Obviously at one time in the past the city grounds' keepers trimmed this tree and cut off a large limb that no doubt was in the way of the pedestrian walkway. Over the years, the remnants took shape. And here comes the imaginative part...does it look like a skull to you where the cut was; surrounded by tree bark? [to me, the mouth area even has rotted teeth].  And the 2nd photo is of another tree cutting remnant at a whole 'nother park.  In Port Aransas, Texas this time.  Does it not look like a Grim Reaper with its head covered in a hood?!! ---



5] Lastly, a monster from a TV series. Do any of you watch GRIMM [this year, in fact, on the 25th of October, the 3rd season premieres on NBC]? Bud and I do. We have the 1st and 2nd season DVD collection and will be catching up on the season opener Saturday sometime, online. We were caught in a season finale that will be continued with Friday's episode. Anyway, GRIMM is based on some of the Brother's Grimm 'fairytales'. But in a very unusual, and kinda macabre form. The beasts from the Grimm tales are REAL in this television series. The very first one Nick [the main character] sees as a Grimm, he sees a HEXENBIEST [German for Witch Beast] take form. From there, it moves forward to many more bizarre creatures. And the morphing of regular people into the Grimm creatures is amazing. Okay, on to the Hexenbiest. I love the fantasy, the bizarre, the eerie, the spooks. And the make-up of said beasts. I was compelled to drawing one in pencil!! WARNING tho - the completed sketch is...well, it's creepy!!  My version of the GRIMM's "Hexenbiest" as seen on the program....a real live person in make-up.  Awesome.





BONUS RANDOM I know this is supposed to be random FIVE, but I wanted to share the photos I took with my cellphone while perusing the annual October Jazz Festival. Tho the bands are all amateur, they are for the most part pretty good. Bud and I would prefer more of the Big Band Era music tho. These days it's mostly Blues and what they call "Oldies" --which for us at our age isn't!! LOL Anyway, I prefer to walk the grounds to all the vendors while the music drifts through the park from all the stages. If there is a good song being played we'll stop and sit down under the covered seating areas and listen. So, here are a few of the bands and an artist that I stopped to watch while he did his work...the piece he was working on was all DOTS [he's in the photo] ---oh, and the artwork behind him is done by him!!! Hear no Evil, Speak no Evil, See no Evil. He hailed from San Antonio and was selling his art work for $15 a piece. Bud also bought me the cute little LOVE BUG in a box....its legs move/jiggle continually....




77 comments :

  1. Yeah...it´s Helloween-Time...Enjoy !

    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do enjoy Halloween. As much as Christmas.

      Delete
  2. I love those two tree shots where the sawed off limbs look like skulls! I saw them right away. And a very cool pirate ship. Also the creepy thing in the water in the first picture, it really doe look like some ancient kind of monster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...those 'tree limbs' were cool I thought.

      Delete
  3. They are quite scary..good for the Halloween preparation...Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...have a great day yourself Cuttella

      Delete
  4. i love looking for faces in the trees ;) thank you for sharing, and i enjoy taking pics of peoples yards hehe. i love going to the PINS always paid annual fee so that I could go out there anytime of year. Thanks for bringing back beautiful memories from there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'know....we've lived here on the coast for a decade now, and I never ever saw it as PINS...'pins'....neat!!! Thanks for pointing that out here.

      Delete
  5. That guy haunting the waters is pretty creepy looking. In the tree photos, I thought ghost at first but when I read your description I could see skull too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, ya, they COULD be ghostly too!!!

      Delete
  6. Yes, the tree slowly wakening and turning into a live monster....I can see it, sure! ::) and I hear the Jaws theme in my mind now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...that theme song is spooky!!!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Oh I do hope a 'frightful' in a fun way. :o)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful collection of the bugaboo photos!!
    you're welcome on my new post and hope you will be a follower for get new new updates.
    Thanks! Have a nice weekend..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't travel much, but thanks for the visit anyway.

      Delete
  9. Great Halloween pics! I like the tree on Padre. I went there, many moons ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Padre Island is a great, quiet area. I love it there.

      Delete
  10. Oh I LOVE the work of the bottom artist and that looks like it was fun. I also like your Grimm drawing you are talented.
    OK now as far as the Pirates and just boots and tree images (I see them too) and the Stephen King driftwood you have captured Halloween perfectly. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was fascinating to watch him work on the piece!!! Such talent...to see this in shadows/textures/light all in DOTS!!

      thanks Buttons.

      Delete
  11. Wow - a great post and I love the 'random' photos!! Those tree knots DO look like monsters. Actually, the first one is even reminiscent of "The Scream" by Edvard Munch!! Seriously!!

    Joe and I LOVE Grimm and are so excited that the new season starts tonight!

    Some people go crazy decorating for Halloween around here, too. We don't even hand out candy anymore (bah humbug!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our neighborhood is mostly older adults, so we don't have many trick 'r' treaters coming our way. And yes, now that you mention it...it does look like 'scream'!

      Delete
  12. i love the pirate ship. super cool. ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...but what a creepy crew aboard. LOL

      Delete
  13. i decided a long time ago that decorating for Halloween down here on the gulf coast was our way of welcoming autumn ... it is *our* version of the colorful fall of leaves!!!! ;) ... well it sounds good! enjoyed your Halloween fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...exactly. What with our still summery weather later in the day, you wouldn't know it's Fall unless you bring out October/November decorations!!! Copy that.

      Delete
  14. Thanks for ending this on such a non-scary note, Anni. I love your tree gremlins, they are definitely spooky. And your drawing... shiver! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...now you have me talking in my head..."Well shiver me timbers"!! lol

      Delete
  15. Love your pictures! It's a scary time of the year and you captured it well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Scary stuff! You're very good at drawing!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those trees are spooktacular. Love your Grimm drawing, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know you enjoyed the post Veronica! Thanks!

      Delete
  18. Great random 5! I really like that pirate ship - it has to be quite a task to set up.
    I saw the skulls in the trees too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mari...hope your Alaina had a good birthday!!!

      Delete
  19. The photos in number 4 require no imagination at all in my book...didn't even need to read to see....they were glaring at me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope it wasn't too sinister ;o)

      Delete
  20. Oh the tree faces are so cool! I'm not into monsters, but your sketch is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The limbs jutting out of the water are scary looking! I'd love to see shorebirds or pelicans perched there--it'd make for a nice photo. Enjoy the weekend and all your Halloween fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted a photo of them perched on that very tree...some time ago. I'll have to find it for you.

      Delete
  22. Oh what a fun post!! Halloween is my daughter's favorite too.
    She bought a spectacular witch's hat. Black veil, bling and some purple.
    I'm supposed to get a picture when she dresses for the events.
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love these monsters from old wood and I often see faces in trees. Even as a child I was looking creatures in the woods and do it today.

    The drawing is very well drawn and full of character, I know, of course, Grimm's fairy tales.

    But otherwise we have no particular reference to Hellooween in Germany. It is only the children who go more in recent years to collect sweets. I would not celebrate Helloween. It means nothing to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  24. i like that creepy limb in the waters. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...this was the only time I saw it without birds perched on it.

      Delete
  25. Replies
    1. ...thanks Nick...glad you thought they were good ones today.

      Delete
  26. Hi Anni, I just love that pirate ship! Now I want a pirate ship on the front lawn this year. How hard can it be to make one? Ok, don't answer that; those are always my famous last words...lol. Hope you've had a lovely week and are ready for the weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too....a project that 'looks like' a thirty minute job tends to end up being a week's worth!!

      Delete
  27. I hardly ever see any really unique or ghoulish Halloween decor around my area. That pirate ship is just amazing to me- that someone went to all that trouble..so cool. However much I love fall (and I really, really love it)..Christmas is my all time favorite holiday and the one I get excited about decorating for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't consider Halloween a 'holiday'...it's just a day for fun where you can find it without causing trouble or strife. But Christmas now, THAT'S a holiday.

      Delete
  28. Yes the first photo does look like a monster rising out of the sea. and the tree ones do look exactly as you say they do. Interesting photos this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's nice to know I see the things you see!!

      Delete
  29. that first photo is wonderful...great eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, glad you liked it.

      Delete
  30. What a mood that tree pic sets! There are some great decorations there, and I enjoyed them all. I"m glad you included the pics of the Jazz Fest- someday we're going to get back over there to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a pretty good festival...the musicians really put their hearts into it!!

      Delete
  31. Wow..love your Halloween photos, and the pirate ship is just awesome. However, your find of the tree skulls are out of this world amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for the positive feedback!

      Delete
  32. Awesome job with all the spooky stuff. Loved that Pirate ship and your gruesome drawing is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I like the Halloween decorations - we do a little, but the neighborhood goes all out - all in fun. Happy Halloween. sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and that is what it SHOULD be....fun!!!

      Delete
  34. My goodness, you have tons of Halloween photos! My favorite is the Grim Reaper tree. That's incredible! I had to read that twice. It is a real tree. Love all the Halloween "cheer"!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sure like the Grim Reaper on the tree. The National Seashore brings memories to me as my deceased husband Mel installed equipment there. He worked for a company named City Carbonic Company in San Antonio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, it's a beautiful, most times Quiet area! Which I love about it. Other beaches are always way too crowded for me to really enjoy the 'ambiance' of the sea. But, I do anyway...not as much as PINS tho.

      Delete
  36. I, too, take pictures of tree trunks with remnants of cut off limbs and see pictures there. Love yours! Live Oaks give out the best when cut - in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've never really paid attention to the type of tree before, but I will NOW!! ;o)

      Delete
  37. Amazing artwork Anni! I didn't know you were an artist.

    And love that pirate ship. Fabulous for the kids (and grownups) on Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....I like to dabble in painting and sketching sometimes. During the hot months, when I'm indoors so much the sketch pad comes out. :o)

      Thanks Nancy, for hosting and your compliments.

      Delete
  38. George and I both love to take photos of old trees... Many look like monsters with arms sticking up all over the place!!!!!! OH --how much fun it is to use our imagination.... Love your post today!!!!

    Hope you had a good week. We have been in Kentucky with friends... Had a fantastic time although it was COLD there.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoyed your trip, even tho cold...I'm sure you did!!

      Delete
  39. They are scary, see my gif golden Halloween in link URL surname

    ReplyDelete

.