MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Nature's Weekend...


Note: I added the fourth week's Halloween Treat [shown above - just click on any/all and save]
NATURE NOTES & WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY
links of these memes on sidebar

The post today is of my two favorite subjects/days to post lately.....nature, birds and birding. Along with the challenge below, that is every Wednesday -- Hodgepodge! [that I post all at once on Tuesday of course] This time of year when Bud and I enjoy being outdoors after the insufferable summer temperatures and humidity...it's truly delightful. This past weekend, we did go to the three day, annual, Jazz Festival [which I'll share just a few photos taken with my cell phone, on Saturday]. Friday it was rainy and cold, so I cooked in the slow cooker a batch of chicken enchilada soup. Saturday was perfect for attending the outdoor festival. Sunday morning we drove to the islands and did a little birding. On the drive - Bud and I counted nine osprey on the JFK Causeway... over the sandy dunes [highway], we spotted hawks on the power lines [and two osprey] - at the birding centers, we spotted scissortail flycatchers, tennessee warblers, starlings, one lone osprey in the trees [a photo below], hooded warbler, white pelicans, spoonbills, ducks, egrets, cormorants, avocets, herons, sea gulls, terns, ibis---and a whole SLEW of humongous dragonflies [most of them mating, and no exaggeration that they were HUGE...size of a hummingbird!!!]. When we returned home, I started a crochet project [beginning photo shown below in Hodgepodge section] with some 2 ply yarn skeins I've had in my basket for a couple of years. I thought it was time to use it. LOL After dinner, I noticed a huge white 'fire ball' behind the silhouetted trees across the street when we shut down the garage door for the evening, and I realized it was the full moon that had just risen. I went indoors and grabbed the camera; by the time I was back outdoors, the moon had nearly made it to the tree tops; no longer hidden behind the thick tree canopies:



...after all the birding, we decided to sit down and pull out the Planet Earth™ DVD series, and watched a couple of the program segments, Forests and Oceans. I love these. They are narrated by Sir David Frederick Attenborough.




HODGEPODGE
links of these memes on sidebar




1. When it comes to good manners, what two top your list of most important?
Excusing yourself after you've belched. LOL [I lived with a 'crude' man for months before he actually said "Excuse me". That was a feat for me to get him that far!!!] The 2nd...definitely respecting the elderly.

2. Let's open a proverbial can of worms...Common Core. Are you familiar with the term (talking education reform in the USA)? If so, care to share your thoughts? In your opinion, what is one of the biggest issues schools (in your home country) face today? Nope, not familiar at all....have no kids in school...or at home for that matter....but, the government wants their 'hands in everything...stay away from kids and let them learn without your influence and dictating!! Financing mostly, there are way too many classes dropped. And, what is it these days where the common structure of writing [cursive] is not even taught?!!!! OH...and I have a question: If the new way of teaching math is so good, then why oh why can't high school students make change for $1.00 in their heads? You purchase a pack of gum for $.86...the change should come automatically in their heads...but lord help us if the computer/registers are down!!!!

3. Name a celebrity whose fashion sense you admire and share why. None really!!! I say, just be yourself and don't 'ape' anyone's fashion!! ........ Like Miley Cyrus?!!! Oh lord...don't get me started on that.

4. How are you affected by the changing seasons? Well, I sleep better with a window open in the cooler seasons than when the air conditioning is on in the hot months.

5. Scariest book you've ever read? I would have to say: Cujo! [not only a horror BOOK, but a great movie also] -- and tho not 'scary' in a science fiction setting, the book "The Client" was intense. Scary in terms of the little boy who witnessed a suicide/crime. [Movie was nothing, compared to the thriller/book!]

6. What time of day are you most hungry? What's your go-to snack? Usually the lunch hour. I try to eat my 'biggest meal' by mid-day. It's a habit really. Snack? I love Nature Valley's Almond Salty/Sweet Almond Granola Bar.

7. Do you lean more towards being too needy or too independent? Which do you find harder to deal with in others? Definitely independence for me. There is a right way, a wrong way, and then there is MY way. Harder to deal with would be the 'needy'. Where there is a will there is a way.

8. Insert your own random thought here. As mentioned above in my nature/birding notes, I began a new crochet project. I tried this pattern a long time ago and didn't get it right after about 20 rows or so and gave up. I'm starting again. So far, so good....












69 comments :

  1. Gosh, your chicken enchilada soup sounds good...I may have to make some myself now. Glad the Jazz Festival was good. My nephew played in it (in the TAMUK Jazz Band). And amen on both counts to your answers on #1!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, the festival was lacking a bit when we were there, I personally enjoyed the walk about...to the different vendors as I listened to the bands playing. But, the weather was superb. And yes, the enchilada soup was delicious.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic moon shots! I like the ones with the trees in front, it seems just right for the season. And you are so fortunate to be able to see and identify all those birds. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For decades now, Corpus has had the distinction of being the 'birdiest city in the US'...so we ARE lucky in those terms. Identifying them involves a lot of research and memory. The moon was gorgeous that night.

      Delete
  3. Those moon behind branches shots are fabulous Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Karen...glad you like 'em.

      Delete
  4. Man! You saw quite the assortment of birds. Love your shots of the moon with the tree branches. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, we have seen quite a few lately. For which I'm very happy. Glad you liked the moon shots Gail

      Delete
  5. the moon shots are beautiful! i love the queen butterfly. and good luck on the crocheting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Teresa, I'm happy that you enjoyed the moon shots and the butterflies...thanks for the 'good luck'...I need it methinks! :o)

      Delete
  6. Oh what a packed post Anni.. I love the photos especially the moon as I have a hard time getting photos of the moon. I too loved the Planet Earth series, it was amazing. Thank you for linking into this week's Nature Notes..Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just getting started on my Wednesday Hodgepodge. Good for you, being done already! The crochet pattern is lovely and that color is beautiful! Love the photos! The butterflies especially are so colorful! You have been busy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't post often any more, so I try to combine my favorites on the first meme...which is Tuesday, but Wednesday's memes are added.

      Delete
  8. BRAVO to you on the doily...project. I made them years ago but too small for me to work with now. Your moon pictures are amazing.
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....ummm, it's not a doily. But, if I can figure out the pattern chatter this time 'round, I will show the finished project. Thanks M&M.

      Delete
  9. I love the color you are crocheting! I agree about Cujo, I read it so long ago that I forgot about it. But to this day I am afraid to go out walking, there are dogs around here that run free. I like Planet Earth too. Have you been watching PBS new series Earthflight, following birds up close in flight every week. A different bird each week. It is fabulous. Many of the birds were hand raised from hatching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have TV...these Planet Earth programs we're watching is DVD. I would love to watch this Earthflight tho...maybe I'll have to check and see if PBS is a free network online.

      Delete
  10. P.S. I love your cute little Fall elf in your header.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...she's a cutie, isn't she? :o)

      Delete
  11. A wonderful post and I really love your header...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, you seem to be able to cover a multitude of subjects every week. I am impressed with your bird knowledge and jealous that you have so many different kinds to look at so close to home. Since winter is starting up here, we don't have many birds around. I enjoy reading through your Hodgepodge every week. Sometimes I gain new perspective and other times you acknowledge my own thoughts ... seldom do I ever disagree. It's a pleasure to come visiting each week. Love your new header ... makes me think I should do something for Halloween. Have a great week .

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summertime is kinda lacking in any real BIG birding...everyone went north for cooler days. But the rest of the year, we're lucky to have a lot of activities.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful photos again!
    Your crochet is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very impressive list of birds from your Sunday morning drive. Great photos - especially the moon photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome shots of the moon. I can never get a good picture.
    I was shocked when I found out that they didn't teach cursive in school anymore. That just seems plain crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...a blogger friend told me about cursive not being taught...and I agree...plain crazy.

      Delete
  16. HI Anni Love the moon and butterflies shots. Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made white chili yesterday. And chicken enchilada soup is definitely in my future - if it wasn't already, it would be now that you've mentioned it. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and my daughter home schools my grands - and she is teaching them cursive writing. ;-)

      Delete
    2. White bean chili sounds heavenly Kathy!!!

      Delete
    3. ....and kudos to your daughter for teaching your grands how to write in cursive.

      Delete
  18. The Client was a good book. I think the movie was pretty well done too, but in my opinion a book is almost always better than the movie version of the same story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the book is most always better.

      Delete
  19. Forgot to add...I don't think cursive is entirely gone. My daughter is teaching 3rd grade in South Carolina and she is teaching cursive. It might not be done in all schools or states, but she said she's enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a list of things that are being phased out in classrooms, and cursive is one. Sad.

      Delete
  20. Annie, I loved your answers today! I agree sooo much with your comments on Common Core.
    Your crocheting project is beautiful! I love to crochet, but haven't done it in ages. I especially love those little doilies

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a brilliant week you had. Love the spontaneous full moon shots

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful photography and your blue crochet project looks great! I haven't been able to get the hang of crochet, so I admire anyone who has!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those moon shots are fantastic, Anni! Isn't it sad that they don't teach cursive in school any more? My sons can't read my handwriting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....amazing. It makes me wonder what the world is coming to. But centuries ago, it's quoted that Socrates asked the same thing....something like the younger generation is uneducated. Yet, there are some who are smart/brilliant to an nth degree.

      Delete
  24. Great answer on saying excuse me after a belch!! No one should follow what Miley does. Love your crochet work, very nice. Thanks for stopping over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Miley....whoa!! 'nough said.

      Delete
  25. We love Jazz festivals as well. Our walk today was not as successful we only saw vultures and swallows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually like to watch vultures...they're pretty graceful.

      Delete
  26. I just love your moon pictures, Anni! You can even see the craters on the surface! I've taken a few shots that are similar, but lack the details of yours. How did you figure out how to take shots like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it depends on the lens and power of the zoom

      Delete
  27. ah yes Stephen King's books were all scary!
    I can tolerate the Red Sox but the Yankees.. NO!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I understand...but, I'd prefer the Yankees [except for A-rod]!! LOL

      Delete
  28. I came from WBW and your birds shots are wonderful but I'm loving those moon shots behind the silhouetted trees. They would make lovely Halloween notecards I'm thinking!
    Your #2 hodgepodge answer - spot on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Carletta! Glad you enjoyed them.

      Delete
  29. Hi Anni! Loved your answers, and I'm with you about Miley Cyrus! Don't get ME started either!.. Funny how many of us are mentioning Stephen King books as the scariest!... As for your crochet project? I don't know what you're making, but it's definitely pretty so far! (0; Have a great week, and thanks for sharing your "Halloween Treats" again this year!!! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read a couple of his books...Cujo and IT. I'm not fanatic about that genre myself. And, Tina, thanks for the compliment on my crochet project.

      Delete
  30. Couldn't agree with you with more on answer #2-heck, kids still have trouble giving the correct change when they do use the cash register!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. hoping over from the hodgepodge thank you for stopping by, love your answers and your nature pics are awesome...I am following hope you will follow back if you havnet already done so

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...of course I will follow you!! 'tis my pleasure.

      Delete
  32. The osprey is a very handsome bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...one of my favorites!! Thanks Gunilla

      Delete
  33. You are a hoot! Your photo look like such a dignified woman! You are much fun.
    Cheers from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, thank you kindly Jennifer.

      Delete
  34. Love all the nature photos! I am so amazed at the crotchet project.

    ReplyDelete

.