Note: I added the fourth week's Halloween Treat [shown above - just click on any/all and save]
NATURE NOTES & WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY
links of these memes on sidebar
The post today is of my two favorite subjects/days to post lately.....nature, birds and birding. Along with the challenge below, that is every Wednesday -- Hodgepodge! [that I post all at once on Tuesday of course] This time of year when Bud and I enjoy being outdoors after the insufferable summer temperatures and humidity...it's truly delightful. This past weekend, we did go to the three day, annual, Jazz Festival [which I'll share just a few photos taken with my cell phone, on Saturday]. Friday it was rainy and cold, so I cooked in the slow cooker a batch of chicken enchilada soup. Saturday was perfect for attending the outdoor festival. Sunday morning we drove to the islands and did a little birding. On the drive - Bud and I counted nine osprey on the JFK Causeway... over the sandy dunes [highway], we spotted hawks on the power lines [and two osprey] - at the birding centers, we spotted scissortail flycatchers, tennessee warblers, starlings, one lone osprey in the trees [a photo below], hooded warbler, white pelicans, spoonbills, ducks, egrets, cormorants, avocets, herons, sea gulls, terns, ibis---and a whole SLEW of humongous dragonflies [most of them mating, and no exaggeration that they were HUGE...size of a hummingbird!!!]. When we returned home, I started a crochet project [beginning photo shown below in Hodgepodge section] with some 2 ply yarn skeins I've had in my basket for a couple of years. I thought it was time to use it. LOL After dinner, I noticed a huge white 'fire ball' behind the silhouetted trees across the street when we shut down the garage door for the evening, and I realized it was the full moon that had just risen. I went indoors and grabbed the camera; by the time I was back outdoors, the moon had nearly made it to the tree tops; no longer hidden behind the thick tree canopies:
...after all the birding, we decided to sit down and pull out the Planet Earth™ DVD series, and watched a couple of the program segments, Forests and Oceans. I love these. They are narrated by Sir David Frederick Attenborough.
links of these memes on sidebar
1. When it comes to good manners, what two top your list of most important? Excusing yourself after you've belched. LOL [I lived with a 'crude' man for months before he actually said "Excuse me". That was a feat for me to get him that far!!!] The 2nd...definitely respecting the elderly.
2. Let's open a proverbial can of worms...Common Core. Are you familiar with the term (talking education reform in the USA)? If so, care to share your thoughts? In your opinion, what is one of the biggest issues schools (in your home country) face today? Nope, not familiar at all....have no kids in school...or at home for that matter....but, the government wants their 'hands in everything...stay away from kids and let them learn without your influence and dictating!! Financing mostly, there are way too many classes dropped. And, what is it these days where the common structure of writing [cursive] is not even taught?!!!! OH...and I have a question: If the new way of teaching math is so good, then why oh why can't high school students make change for $1.00 in their heads? You purchase a pack of gum for $.86...the change should come automatically in their heads...but lord help us if the computer/registers are down!!!!
3. Name a celebrity whose fashion sense you admire and share why. None really!!! I say, just be yourself and don't 'ape' anyone's fashion!! ........ Like Miley Cyrus?!!! Oh lord...don't get me started on that.
4. How are you affected by the changing seasons? Well, I sleep better with a window open in the cooler seasons than when the air conditioning is on in the hot months.
5. Scariest book you've ever read? I would have to say: Cujo! [not only a horror BOOK, but a great movie also] -- and tho not 'scary' in a science fiction setting, the book "The Client" was intense. Scary in terms of the little boy who witnessed a suicide/crime. [Movie was nothing, compared to the thriller/book!]
6. What time of day are you most hungry? What's your go-to snack? Usually the lunch hour. I try to eat my 'biggest meal' by mid-day. It's a habit really. Snack? I love Nature Valley's Almond Salty/Sweet Almond Granola Bar.
7. Do you lean more towards being too needy or too independent? Which do you find harder to deal with in others? Definitely independence for me. There is a right way, a wrong way, and then there is MY way. Harder to deal with would be the 'needy'. Where there is a will there is a way.
8. Insert your own random thought here. As mentioned above in my nature/birding notes, I began a new crochet project. I tried this pattern a long time ago and didn't get it right after about 20 rows or so and gave up. I'm starting again. So far, so good....