my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Eeee-eye, Eeee-eye, Eeee-eye Oh....

NATURE NOTES and WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY
links to these are found on my sidebar


We found quite a few diversified critters this week besides birds. Most of the birds we spotted are more commonly found here year 'round. Too few migrants so far. We went to Bazemore Park in Calallen, Texas this week. Along with stopping other days at our local city parks, and one between Calallen and Corpus, Hilltop Community Trail. I'll just share some of the photos taken along the way, in no random order:



What you're viewing is as follows, from the top left: Golden Fronted Woodpecker [I heard this one long before I finally found it!!] - a Scissortailed Flycatcher - Northern Cardinal  - two Leopard Frogs - Llamas [two photos...the difference between llamas and alpacas is mainly size and ear shape...llamas have banana shape ears while alpacas have pointed ears] - the Coypu [aka Nutria ---once hunted for their pelts] - and the White Peacock Butterfly.




HODGEPODGE
If you'd like to answer Joyce's questions...then, the link to this week's Spook Spectacular is found on my sidebar listed under memes.  Copy her questions, answer them on your blog, and then link up on  Wednesday!!


1. What's something you're dealing with that might be described as tricky? A tough question right off the bat Joyce. My goodness. Eating too much...that's tricky...health-wise, as in weight gain. Right?

2. What's your treat of choice? So many...but this time of year it would be caramel apples or rice krispie treats.

3. Did you/will you carve a jack-o-lantern this month? Which real (living or dead) or fictional 'Jack' would you most like to meet in person? Why? We have the artificial jack-o-lanterns [two of them, one very large one, and a smaller one]...Jack Sparrow would be nice to at least be on the same block he is, but I wouldn't have to MEET him.   But I sure would make use of my zoom lens; just like the paparazzi, I'd be.   By the way, HE WAS very close to us this summer, and I didn't know about it 'til I read in the news that he was deep sea fishing in Rockport, Texas. That's about as close as I'll ever be...Rockport is about 30 miles from us. If'n I'd only known. Bummer. And you ask why? Eye candy.
photo courtesy of Houston Chronicle

4. In your opinion, what's the grossest sounding word in the English language? Puss comes to mind right now. But the combination of spoon/fork...a spork...sounds grossly evil!!

5. When did your heart last skip a beat? Daily...literally.

6. Monster Mash by Bobby 'Boris' Picket, Michael Jackson's Thriller, Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon, or Ray Parker Jr.'s Ghostbusters...your favorite 'scary' tune? I like the soundtrack from "V for Vendetta" Especially the creepy "Evey's Story"---the quiet drum beats in the background, if the timing is right and the night is dark and spooky with the wind howling....it could be chilling!!

7. It was a dark and stormy night when [fill in the blank] a faint, distant knock at the door was heard---or was I imagining all this? The door hinges creaked as it slowly swung open with a dead, hollow, thud, against the wall, sending chills along my spine...the form of a cloaked, black figure,  was seen as the lightning flashed.......

8. Insert your own random thought here. I'm expecting a package to be delivered today!! According to the tracking device online, it's here in town, being processed and delivery is "appoximately the 29th". Excited to get it and open it. If it DOES come to our doorstep today sometime, I will post about it on my Friday blog. :o)

69 comments :

  1. Hello Anni...

    very nice Helloween Outfit on your blog .... great !!

    Have a nice day !

    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your day treated you well so far, too, Timur. thanks.

      Delete
  2. WE LOVE YOUR HEADER!!!
    Oh my gosh that Nutria is BIG. It looks like a combination of a rat and a beaver on Steroids!!! We have heard of them but never seen one.
    Hugs
    Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the header!
    I agree on disgusting words - puss is disgusting for sure...
    I have a package coming tomorrow, but I don't know what it could be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your header, too. It's perfect! And I also enjoyed the birds/critters as well as your Hodgepodge answers. But then again, I always do. You enhance Halloween for me every year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh this is such a positive, enjoyable comment DJan. Thanks. You made my day.

      Delete
  5. i like the frogs and love the scissor-tail. :) nutria we've had in our pond twice. thankfully the dogs took care of it. sorry, but that's one rodent i don't want as a resident. the butterfly is beautiful!

    hope you get your package. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were four in the pond at this location, that we saw. I read somewhere where they're very invasive critters. And ugly besides. LOL

      Delete
  6. #7 goes right with your amazing header! I want to read more- are you going to finish it? The ugly words made me laugh really hard~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could've continued on the 'fill in the blank'...but I figured Joyce didn't want a novel. LOL But, thanks. And the ugly words question was tough...so many came to mind after I posted. ;o)

      Delete
  7. Oh, look at the tail on that Flycatcher! The Nutria is an interesting critter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and they're pretty too...the male especially...of course.

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous photos! You are most welcome to share with I Heart Macro, that butterfly would be a marvelous addition!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the butterfly picture. What kind of location is it found? I have never seen it in the wild. I don't like most words that start with the letter "D" such as dumb. Dang!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the butterfly was spotted at Hilltop Community trail...a very thick, dense, wooded area.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I shall search for them.

      Delete
    3. nookworm: You're welcome. Good luck.

      Delete
  10. Anni, that shot of the butterfly is awesome! I've never seen one before. So many unique and rare spottings. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Gail!!! Honestly, I hadn't seen one like it before either, and Bud just shook his head at my 'chasing' it around the woods. lol

      Delete
  11. Well number 2 is dead easy - a glass of red wine of course. Thanks for your kind worries Anni. The storms hit the south of England worse then here "opp north" so no problem except for the poor folk down there. "Spork" now that is a funny one - is it for real? - haven't heard it here (yet).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your Halloween design! Very cool:) I had no idea the Golden-fronted Woodie came up that far! I saw them down in Guatemala this summer and it was a treat:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, they're here in south Texas year 'round I believe.

      Delete
  13. HI Anni Never seen such a long tail on a Flycatcher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure that the female has a shorter tail. I could be wrong tho.

      Delete
  14. I love the photos, especially the nutria, which I have never seen in person. What a strange animal. I enjoyed your Hodgepodge answers. Mine will be in tomorrow's post. Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll remember to visit with you in the morrow, then!!!

      Delete
  15. A great series of photos. The Scissortailed Flycatcher is especially beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are...and when they're flying, the colors are stunning...the underwing by the breast is salmon colored with a little yellow showing along the sides.

      Delete
  16. Packages are always exciting!
    Eating right is MY problem.
    Carved two pumpkins.
    Love caramel apples.
    sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...this package especially! LOL

      You and me both then, on the apples and our eating problems.

      Delete
  17. Great mosaic and photos, Anni! I would love to see the first woodie someday! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen...and happy Halloween to you too.

      Delete
  18. Nice post! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your answer to #1 is my biggest problem right now. I've been packing on the pounds and I just can't seem to stop even when I think I don't have any more junk in the house to eat I manage to find something....lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your physician would say "A little extra weight is better than smoking". So, don't fret.

      Delete
  20. A plethora of wonderful finds! Love the butterfly.
    Oh yes, Jack Sparrow would be my choice!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...he's the only Jack I could think of to answer the question. I'm sure some will say Jack Kennedy, but I personally would want to call him JOHN. Oh well.

      Delete
  21. You keep that logo, girl!

    I love the birds. I painted a pumpkin, but things are a little stressful here, with hubby having cancer tests...
    Cheers from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I especially loved the shot of the long-tailed bird...

      Delete
    2. Carole...I enjoyed viewing your scarlet bird also. What a beauty!

      Delete
    3. Jennifer....I've never painted a pumpkin before, I should try it.

      Delete
  22. Awesome series of photos, Anni! Love the header too!

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....and happy halloween to you too Veronica.

      Delete
  23. Certainly a variety of characters you found in your wanders. The scissor-tailed flycatcher has an extraordinarily long tail for its size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed...and to top it off, they're pretty in flight!! I've never had the luck of getting a photo of them flying, but will keep trying.

      Delete
  24. They're all wonderful critters. The frogs are my favorites, they're so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and there are 'tons' of them in this particular park this year. I don't know what that means, but in any case, I enjoy finding them.

      Delete
  25. Boooooooo..........
    love this post and reading the questions and answers...
    I have a new blog and address so please come over, visit, and follow me...again. I lost control of my original blog....bwaaaaaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi bj...will update my blog list!!! Hope you're enjoying your new home!!

      Delete
  26. Your random thought leaves a little mystery too : ) Jack Sparrow is a good answer! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...same sentiment from me to you Joyce!!!

      Delete
  27. My heart NEARLY skipped a beat when I read it happens to you daily. Ah, yes. We are at that stage of life when such things are more likely to be a physical reality. That question about it being tricky what we eat, yes, I'm with you on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  28. We saw our first scissor tail in Texas.. I remember that I couldn't believe what I was seeing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my that Sissor-tailed Flycatcher would be a real neat one to see and you got a great snap of it Annie. I hope that you enjoy the remainder of your week...somehow I think that you shall~

    ReplyDelete
  30. Did you take those photos of the birds? I love the Northern Cardinal, so beautiful! :)
    Yuck that does sound like a gross word.. Except if you're talking about a cat! :) I would love caramel apple but not krispie treats, i honestly dislike those. I feel like i'm the only one that doesnt.. I always hear 'what are you crazy?!"

    ReplyDelete
  31. You definitely have me very intrigued about your package! Dying to hear what awaits! Oh, yes...boyfriend issues are NO walk in the park! Most days, I'd rather run my head through a concrete wall than deal with them!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You definitely have me very intrigued about your package! Dying to hear what awaits! Oh, yes...boyfriend issues are NO walk in the park! Most days, I'd rather run my head through a concrete wall than deal with them!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ohh rice krispie treats are one of my favorites! A close second to chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have to know what's in the package!!! Can't wait to see it! I love your spooky header! Puss is definitely a gross sounding word.

    ReplyDelete
  35. A lovely mix in your mosaic. A little bit of everything, So nice.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Snot - its hideous and sounds like it looks

    ReplyDelete
  37. You spotted several things that are not so common around here so the pictures are a treat ... and can't go without saying, love the "Jack Sparrow" picture as well. He is my favorite and I must have every movie he has made ... but don't recommend "Ed Wood" ... it is one I am guessing he would deny being a part of :) As for your dark stormy night ... you should be a writter. Wonderful imagination and painting pictures with words. I am impressed :)
    Enjoyed this post, as always ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  38. Mari: yes, puss....and then, ooze would come in as a close 2nd.

    Your package...sounds like you're anxious to find out what it's gonna be!! Hope it's something you'll blog about in time.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Madi&Mom: Yes, in fact I do believe it is mighty close to this...it has a rat's tail and beaver's teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great, diverse collection, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh great wildlife mosaic Anni... I have never seen a nutria before. Michelle

    ReplyDelete

.