...been a long weekend. In more ways than one.

NATURE NOTES
and
WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY



Lesser Nighthawk


Ruby-throated hummingbird

Only what I've seen through my window the past couple of days. One afternoon, late, a Lesser Nighthawk was on the power line just outside our window. It remained there for several hours, and then at dusk it flew off for his dinner hour!! Also, there have been a return of a few hummingbirds. And they're becoming very active now, around our feeders. I haven't been out much over the holiday weekend, so not too much 'birding news'. [explained below]



WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE




1. What's something you're never too young or too old to enjoy? Ice cream?!!! Ya, that.

2. Share one happy memory from your high school years. It's a bittersweet memory...Being with Frank between classes and after school - I was VERY happy, knowing him and being his best friend at times; his confident!! He left town after joining the military...Then....he was KIA in the Vietnam War, if things would've been different, I'd have been a widow at the age of 20. Having his friendship meant the world to me, and thinking of him often today still breaks my heart. In the past, I have posted a newspaper clipping of him and how he was killed in action... HERE [scroll down to the end of the page]

3. A nationwide strike of fast food employees took place in parts of the U.S. last week...they're calling for higher wages and the right to unionize? Your thoughts? Higher wages these days are a necessity, but UNIONS on the other hand are the rut of recession in my opinion...with unions, it may make the workers have more 'privileges and higher wages'....but that, in a turnaround, makes OUR cost of living raise. It's a vicious circle.

4. http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkvAL_Rjv5Sr4bpBt9P5_Vk8z2cNcGUkOoSfjlXg4qsK_w5-kzSeptember is National Honey Month...what's a favorite dish you make or eat that calls for honey? I'm not too keen on honey, it's okay, but I don't ever crave it or need to have it. I do like Sue Bee's Creamed Honey, but only on toast. Actually, I read somewhere in a nutrition site that the best honey for anyone to consume is local honey: produced by bees in your own area. Only because of the pollen bees use...it's pollen that creates allergies, and locally produced makes for a guard against allergies humans suffer from the pollens created in their area...helps fight against strong allergy attacks. Don't know for sure if there is any credence to this tho.

[image courtesy of google - no copyright infringement intended]

5. If you notice someone with a tag sticking out, a button unbuttoned, a shirt on inside-out, or some leftover lunch stuck between their teeth do you say something or do you keep quiet? If it's family, I'll tell them so. But if it's no one I know, I will remain quiet.

6. What movie always makes you cry? Or at least makes you feel like crying? A movie that was made from a classic novel... Where the Red Fern Grows read more...

7. 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' was written in May of 1830, and published in Juvenile Miscellany in September of that same year. Now for the fun part...create your own four line rhyme using that same tune.

Mary had a little lamb
little lamb, little lamb
Mary had a little lamb
its fleece was white as snow.


my attempt:

Summer's been so hot these days,
hot these days, hot these days.
Summer's been so hot these days,
I'll be glad to see it go...

[but, thing is...summer continues here in South Texas for about another month, at least!!]


8. Insert your own random thought here. For the last few days, of course during a holiday when all the offices are closed...I have not been feeling well, and keeping a close vigil on my blood pressure and heart rate in an attempt to stay away from the Emergency Room at one of the hospitals. I will call my cardiologist first thing this morning when their office opens. Hopefully, he can help me work things out with a different medication, OR a different dosage. Sorry, I haven't felt up to visiting anyone, and probably won't for a while, until I feel better....


37 comments :

  1. what a pretty hummingbird

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are feeling better soon, Anni, and that the doctor can fix things up quickly. It's no fun to be under the weather for any reason. Love your hummer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice birds....i like the second more !!

    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on 'break' this week --but just wanted to tell you to feel better. Go and see that doctor if the situation gets worse.

    Hugs to you,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. BRAVO ON SUCH GREAT PHOTOS OF THE HAWK AND MY FAVORITE THE RUBY THROATED....BEFORE LONG THAT LITTLE JEWEL WILL BE LEAVING ME UNTIL SPRING...MAYBE SHE WILL COME WINTER AT YOUR HOUSE.
    HUGS MADI AND MOM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice birds to see out your window. So sorry you've not been well and the BP is acting up. Take care and I hope your doctor can soon adjust your meds and that you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Dear Annie - I do hope you feel better soon! I don't like honey much either, and found the point about local honey very interesting! Your song is pretty cool :) I'm looking forward to the summer here ... it's been a long, cold winter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice find on the nighthawk!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, canada.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I looked at your original post about Frank. What a tragic story. I'm sorry you went through this and sorry the world lost Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Still haven't got the internet yet...Looks like I will still be getting it this month.
    Talking about birds...a short time ago a big ole owl showed up and I ran a grab my camera but it flew off.

    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that picture of the hummingbird.
    Forget about the blogging and just get better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, cool sighting of the Nighthawk! And the hummer is a sweetie. Lovely captures, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A Lesser Nighthawk, WOW!!! I have always wanted to see one, but how can you in the dark? You got a good picture! I am so sorry about Frank, I have my own bittersweet story quite similar. I still have the dreams. I love your little poem!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you feel better - soon!

    Great shots of your birds! A rare opportunity to get a Nighthawk photo. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. By all means, take care of yourself first. I would generally not agree with waiting if you have heart issues, but I also know you know your own body and probably know what is best ... Hope you are feeling better soon. I enjoyed your pictures, especially the night hawks. They migrate through here, but they don't stay and I usually don't notice them until they start flying. Be well ... hope this is a better week for you.
    P.S. I am not necessarily a fan of Unions, but I know that without them many people aren't making a living wage. Collective bargaining is the only way to force companies to share thier profits with thier workers ... otherwise it all goes up to the CEO's who make disgusting amounts of money and put it in banks out of the country so they don't pay hardly any taxes. If we all have to pay a little more for everyone to have a fair share of our economy, I think I am willing to do that. Just a thought ...

    ReplyDelete
  16. You got the light just right on that hummer to catch the iridescence of the feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope you got your heart problems straightened out - that's scary! Stay cool and enjoy a bit of ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sue Bee's Creamed Honey! Boy, that brought back memories! I haven't had that in years but will go in search for it this week.

    Loved reading your answers. Guarding our health can be very time consuming.....but worth every minute! Blogs are always out there ready to be shared. Sometimes you just have to concentrate on yourself! Thanks for sharing.....makes you 'realer' to me. Prayers.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think we could have a long conversation about unions! Preferably on a veranda with a cool drink and a stream of distracting birds!! The nighthawk looks like a decent bird.

    Your Purple Gallinule (however you spell it!!) is very closely related to my swamphen, but they are different species.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  20. HI Anni Great shot of the Hummingbird

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope you are feeling better. Local honey is great for you-coming from my daughter who says this is what they told them in pharmacy school...so I take a teaspoon every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the book Where the Red Fern Grows, and sob through it every.single.time. I've never seen the movie version though-is it done well? Hope you're feeling better...take care!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope you find some help and relief today. Feel better soon!

    You high school memories were intense, and very bittersweet:/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love that sweet hummingbird photo...reminds me of my mom who loved them! Sending lots of prayers and get-well wishes to you, Anni! Feel better real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear friend please do take care of yourself.Prayers and Hugs coming to TX.
    I was so hot and humid they say it was the cause for the state fair to be down in attendance. When in the triple digits who feels like moving.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your bird pictures are always wonderful! Hope the doctor has a fix for you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. We love local honey! Thanks for reminding me - we should probably stock up before winter gets to Michigan! :(

    ReplyDelete
  28. The story about your Frank was so tragic. I sat at my desk and cried. The creamed honey looks yummy. I am going to try and find some. Your song was cute. Loved the birds and your new blog background. It is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  29. My family has such a proud tradition. I come from a long line of educators and my grandparents were very involved in our early teachers' union as was I and my husband. People don't often stop to think about how much has been helped by unions.

    The classroom sizes have a workable maximum limit of students with boards of education unable to stuff as many desks into a room as possible. Our teacher contract makes sure that there are teaching supplies although all of us supplement our classrooms and our students.

    No teachers can be let go due to the capricious whim of an administrator or for their union activities. There has to be a fair and agreed upon method of evaluating teachers.

    The health care benefits are so necessary as there is a higher numbers of teachers with MS, cancer and other auto-immune diseases.

    The teacher's do their best to see that important extras like art, music and gym aren't cut back anymore than they have been.

    Anyone who thinks that unions are the problem should go and teach in my inner city classroom for a while until they catch something from one of the kids and need a sick day.

    The only reason we that we got child labor laws, fair wages and health insurance is because of unions.. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  30. Please feel free to delete my first comment and this one. The minute I let it go I was sorry as I never get into anything like this on blogs usually... but I wanted to visit all the Nature Notes as I am sick and don't know how much worse it will get so it made me touchy. But I don't teach anymore. I had to leave when my MS got too much to deal with and work. Hubby is also retired. I will take my foot out of my mouth now. Oh if only I was that flexible still...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the hummingbird. The colours are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I do hope you are feeling better soon! Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nighthawk...wow, how blessed you are to see them and oh my...one day I want to as well! Hmmm... high school. I met my husby of 43 years in room 123 our sophmore year, and we dated for 6 years before getting married. I am thinking that was a good thing, then ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Awesome post with beautiful images!

    ReplyDelete
  35. That honey looks yummy! I don't believe I've ever seen creamed honey before.

    ReplyDelete
  36. sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. I'm about to head to bed and will say a prayer for you. Feel Better soon!

    ReplyDelete

.