MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Bottoms Up!!


NATURE NOTES
and
WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY





willet


tri-colored heron and roseate spoonbill


black necked stilt


black bellied whistling duck


magnolia warbler






WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE

1. What's the best thing about growing older? Wisdom I think [lol]. At least in my life...wisdom.

2. When did you first feel like a grown up? My question is...am I really grown up? [insert wink]  Seriously, I was a late bloomer in a lot of factors in life, growing up came when my first child was born and I became a mother to her. Having a child will do that!!!

3. Chocolate cake with white icing or white cake with chocolate icing? Neither, really. I'm not a cake person. If having to choose, I'd take the white cake and scrape the chocolate frosting off and give it to Bud. Ask him, -- he'll confer with that.

4. What's the nicest thing a stranger has ever done for you? Actually, now that I think of it...I was out by myself on a Sunday afternoon. I drove to the Culture and Entertainment section here in town to buy tickets to Jeff Dunham's show. When I got back in the car, the front tire was flat. Two guys came over and changed it for me!!! I wrote a letter to the editor of our local newspaper and thanked them.

5. What's something you learned from your grandparents? Three of my grandparents were gone from this earth by the time I could have been influenced by them...the fourth, my paternal grandfather lived to be 97....but he was living in another state, so again, not much influence from him either.

6. Wednesday marks a sad day in the history of planet earth-9/11...what's something you do (or can do) to bring peace to your little corner of the world? My idea of inner peace is to smile! As the adage goes "Laughter is good medicine"...or..."Smile and the world smiles with you".

7. Share a favorite quote, scripture, or song containing the word peace. A song I first heard on TV back in 1968 I believe was the year...Elvis Presley "If I Can Dream". If you'd like to listen and watch the TV special of this particular song...click on the cropped photo of Elvis. Play it loud!!! I still to this day play it often, cry a little, and have the song blaring loud and sing along with it.  It's that  kind of song...


There must be peace and understanding sometime
Strong winds of promise that will blow away
All the doubt and fear
If I can dream of a warmer sun
Where hope keeps shining on everyone
Tell me why, oh why, oh why won't that sun appear

Were lost in a cloud
With too much rain
Were trapped in a world
That's troubled with pain
But as long as a man
Has the strength to dream
He can redeem his soul and fly....

photo of Elvis Presley courtesy of Youtube...no copyright infringement intended.

8. Insert your own random thought here. Thank you all for the wonderful, comforting words left in my comments. I admit the past two weeks have been harrowing at times. Years ago, as some already know I had a procedure done on my heart...a heart ablation. For nearly two decades I experienced so many episodes of SVT...an extreme rapid heart rate of up to 250 beats a minute sometimes. I've been in and out of the ER since the first year we retired to Arizona, and bouts of the same since, and before my ablation done by an electro-physiologist...a cardiologist specializing in cauterizing the area that causes the SVT. Everything for the past five years has been super!! Then, the high blood pressure medications I was prescribed came out in generic!! Within about 2 and 1/2 months of the 'off brand' I began to experience extreme high blood pressure, bouts of arrhythmia off and on among other side effects. There was a kidney and liver dysfunction also. I have a heart rate and blood pressure monitor here at home [which I have checked yearly at the doctor's office to see if it's working properly]. The palpitations didn't scare me much, it was the blood pressure reading that concerned me!! So very erratic. Both the systolic and the diastolic readings. Okay...to make a story short...I talked with the nurses and the doctor at the cardiologist's office...seems the GENERIC brand of blood pressure meds has POTASSIUM added!! And it was never EVER revealed to me from the get go; nor is anything pertaining to a possible potassium overdose written anywhere on the pharmacy's medication pamphlet. After my session with the cardiologist, I also talked with the Pharmacist and you know what he told me? "It's all in your head...name brand and generic are no different"!!! Needless to say, that remark made me p!ssed, I contacted the Food and Drug Administration to have that warning added [side effects with the electrolytes can become dangerous or fatal]. AND I called/and sent a hand written complaint to the AMA on the pharmacist's demeanor. In a very short time back on the name brand Rx, and my liver/kidney functions are okay again...my heart rate is steady and at 70/85 beats a minute, which makes the blood pressure remain in the normal bracket. Blood test results show I was overdosing on potassium...without consuming high potassium foods/drinks!!

67 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. ...glad you liked the images today Denise

      Delete
  2. Great photos !! Absolutely nice !!

    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to know you (YOU) figured out what was wrong with you and that now you'll be right as rain. I love your posts and have such fun reading them. You're important to many people, and I love your bottoms up pictures, Anni! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....awwww, you're so kind my friend!! Thanks for the positiveness you've created for me today.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I'm so sorry for all you've gone through because of the generic med! Good grief! The public is trusting that generics are equal in all ways to name brand, and then something like this happens... I'm so thankful you're OK and that all is righted with your meds. Thank you, thank you, for making your voice heard about this in the appropriate places. Please take care of yourself~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, the pharmacy now has on my meds profile ONLY BRAND NAME!! Thanks dear one.

      Delete
  5. Glad to see you back and in better health. Our son has Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome and has a difficult time with potassium levels.

    I was greatly influenced by my maternal grandparents and by my paternal grandfather as well. Both taught me to love all animals, nature, music, and the home arts. They lived to be in their 80's. I prefer cookies way over cakes. As for growing up, I still can't believe I'm still learning so much every day. It never stops or becomes boring. I'm still a student. A stranger also replaced a flat tire for me when I had 4 little kids in the car about 50 miles from home. There WILL be peace in the valley for me some day - as sung by Elvis. I love his gospel music. Random thought: All I have is all I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's a very touchy mineral in regards to health issues. Oh yes, I agree...cookies are far in a way better than cake.

      Delete
  6. As always Anni beautiful pictures and oh my gosh we are so sorry about your recent health scares. As I have learned with my mom over the years meds can be good and bad at the same time.
    Bless your heart....SERIOUSLY...that it stays strong and regulated.

    We are in the process of working on my mom's meds too. She has been taking some pretty powerful drugs for years...due to polymyositis and now Lewy's Body Dementia.
    Lots of hugs.
    I'm not totally disappearing...Madi's blog is my stress reliever. I hope to continue on as long as Madi poses.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thing is, they didn't even ask me one way or another if I wanted to change the meds...I think it was all part of the insurance company...trying to save themselves money. That too remains a stress factor. :o)

      Delete
  7. You are so good with your camera. I so enjoy your photos of your beautiful area.
    I sure am glad you are "back to normal" since getting back on the right drug.I had a round of really high blood pressure, not using a new drug..nothing changed. Just all at once, stroke-level bp. Scared me...and I ck my pressure a lot more often. Also, have started another pill for it.
    Potassium is one of those "on the fence" things....too much or too little can cause all kinds of problems.
    Stay healthy, dear heart...and I guess you might be the first person I've "met" that doesn't like chocolate....:)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bj...I didn't post that I don't like chocolate...I like chocolate, it's the frosting I don't like on cake!!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed the little bit of humor in the photos this week Laura.

      Delete
  9. love the whistler butt. :) and the cute stilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...I know how you have Whistlers on Wednesday. They too are a favorite of mine, but we don't get them here as much as your area of TX.

      Delete
  10. Nooo, haven't tried the spicy pickles... but am sure they are delish. All Claussens are good.
    Now, of course, I, too, am hungry....for a ham sandwich. :))
    Oh, how bloggers play off ea other....don't ya just love it...?...mee, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ham Sandwich and Claussen pickles...I'm sold!!

      Delete
  11. Fantastic shots of the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another fun post!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed this Gary.

      Delete
  13. Brilliant post title, and then after a few images you get it, nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect shots for bottoms up! ^_^

    Kim,USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed this post Kim

      Delete
  15. Hi Friend, Glad you pursued the problem in the generic medication... UNBELIEVABLE... Glad you are back on the meds which work though --and are feeling better. Prescription Medications just drive me batty. They cause so many other problems. I know we "NEED" them --but please---tell people about the side effects! Dang.

    Love your bottoms up photos.... I get alot of those when the birds are flying away from the feeders. ha

    My thoughts on your questions:
    1. Getting older has finally given me the opportunity to do some of the things in life which I never had time to do... I also am much more relaxed --and enjoy life to its fullest.

    2. HA---Am I grown up???? WELL--guess I will agree with you. When I had my first child at the age of 20, I knew nothing about babies... The Dr. Spock book is the only way I got through that first year... ha

    3. I would not choose either of those since I don't care for chocolate. My favorite cake is the old-fashioned pound cake... YUM.

    4.The first thing that comes to mind is when George and I were hiking in the mountains in KY one very hot summer day. For some stupid reason, we didn't have any water with us.. A stranger gave us his water--to give to George... Scary time for us--but lots of people stopped to help. (This was before we learned what to take and what not to take with us when we hike.)

    5. Had NO grandparents... They were all gone when I was born. I missed that wonderful opportunity.

    6. Try to live so that I bring JOY to others who come in contact with me...

    7. One of my favorite songs is "Let There be Peace on Earth"

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'know, I can count on my one hand how many times I've had pound cake. For #5, it's the same for me too.

      Delete
  16. Oh my GOSH!!! This is really scary stuff. If you had not been so smart, you could have died. I have been SO sick of certain people claiming that generic is the exact same, some are NOT!!! They have different fillers and other things. I use Flonase, and when it came out in generic, my nose started to burn and fall apart. The pharmacy told me they also had several other patients who cannot use the generic, and our doctors have to specify ONLY name brand. Even with it on my papers, CVS still mess up half the time and give me the generic, so we always have to look in the bag before we leave. I am over the moon that you are all better and it was something that could be helped so fast! By the way, does that warbler only warble in Magnolias?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....there are no Magnolia trees where I spotted this Warbler, so I guess it's about anywhere in their migratory habitat. Yep, my cardiologist put that on my record also...name brand only. But, I'm sure it's gonna be a hassle for me from this day forward.

      Delete
  17. Well I am with you - I don't want to grow up particularly!

    You don't like cake!!!!!!!!!!

    What blood pressure pill are you on that went to generic if I can ask.

    My son is a pediatric cardiologist electro physicist.

    Small world.

    Hope you are feeling much better.

    Love, sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no...so many misunderstood this, I don't really crave cake, but I do like it...it's the frosting I don't care for...just plain cake is much better. The Generic starts with a C, and I can't spell it offhand tho.

      Delete
  18. Anni, what a scary time! I am glad the medicine is corrected and you are back to normal. Love your cute bottoms up series. Thanks for sharing, take care!

    ReplyDelete
  19. naturally I thoroughly enjoyed the pictures.
    that second question about when you first felt like a grown up kind of cracks me up. Maybe because I'm still waiting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, huh? Some days I feel the same way Ann.

      Delete
  20. That is terrifying, Anni. I'm so glad that you were able to figure the the generic meds were the problem. I hope that you continue to improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks! Your words of encouragement and support are appreciated.

      Delete
  21. Hee hee, love these bottom shots Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fun shots I thought. Altho, you don't know just HOW MANY I get of their butts it seems. lol

      Delete
  22. nice to know a little bit more about you. I love your bird pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks. I'm glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  23. My kids. When I drove my own car to my first full time job. Chocolate and chocolate. When the lady who became my wife agreed to go for a walk up a hill a week after I met her. That cakes taste better from a wood burning stove. I talk to cats, talk to the neighbours and reply to all blog post comments. "Your land must be a realm of peace and content, and there gardeners must be held in high honour". The road to success does not need to be paved with people that you have stepped on.

    There - it don't normally do the questions - but I rather enjoyed this.

    Nice pictures.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, driving a car, that'll truly make you feel grown up. You're so right on Stewart!

      Delete
  24. Well gosh, that's scary! Glad you discovered the problem! More lovely photos today...I always enjoy your bird pictures : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for hosting Joyce, and thanks for your visit and kind words, you're so very much appreciated.

      Delete
  25. Oh how scary! As for that pharmacist not believing there was a difference in generic vs brand name, he should have his head examined! Definitely change pharmacists, if you can! that's ridiculous! What a sweet story about the men helping you with your tire - enjoy the Jeff Dunham concert, we saw him a couple of years ago and he was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, your Google Plus shows not 'contributor to'...so I don't see any link to your blog posts. Sorry, I can't pay you a return visit that way.

      Delete
  26. Good morning! First let me say that I love that Elvis song...love it! And then, wow, you have given me so much to think about with your awful experience with the medication. The insurance companies don't really give you an option when it comes to generics. And the pharmacists always INSIST there is no difference. And no one rarely REALLY listens to you when you tell them "SOMETHING" is different. So glad you figured out your problem, and did something about that pharmacy and medication. Good for you! I love stories like this. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Debbie. That is one song of Elvis's that I really like too.

      Delete
  27. I loved the photos...made me smile..thank you.. Oh the darn generics. I know. They aren't the same and I am on meds like you that really make a difference. I had one go generic that is used for nerve pain caused by an MS lesion on my spinal cord. It did not work as well and I had to fight to get the name brand. Sigh. I am glad you are feeling better..how scary.. hugs..Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's odd that with insurance and doctors how it seems they're not working for anyone as an individual. And sad. We shouldn't have to 'fight' for anything, but we do.

      Delete
  28. made me smile. :) A great set of bird shots. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed the 'funnies' today!!

      Delete
  29. So glad you caught the potassium problem. I tend to question everything vis a vis my healthcare. I won't take a medication until I understand what it does, how it does it, potential side effects, and what indicates a problem with the med. Glad it turned out okay for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I read the pamphlets also, but it's after the fact. This one in particular didn't have any potassium warning what-so-ever. Thanks for the visit.

      Delete
  30. I think I agree with nookworm about cookies over cake, maybe I don't, how about cookies with frosting?! hehehe...

    I'm so glad you got that drug mess figured out you're okay! When I get new prescriptions I check it through with the pharmacist, doctor prescribing the medication, and every doctor who prescribed medication that I'm currently taking before I actually take the new medication. I don't think that's double check overkill or paranoia because, well, they make mistakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the pharmacist in this case was NO HELP at all.

      Delete
  31. Very nice post and photos! It really emphasizes the importance of ... the "bottom" line! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh Annie, I just read about your SVT and following condition. I was told that I had SVT last year and they attempted to correct with surgery, but surgeon's attempt 3 times, could not throw me into one. It turned out in my case, I never had them and even ended up with a Reveal loop recorder embedded for no good reason in my chest wall and now it needs to be surgically removed.
    I do hope and pray that you begin to feel better, these bodies do get older and things can change on a dime.
    Sorry for my tardiness.
    Monday my bad knee gave way to a full Medial Meniscus tear and I am having Arthroscope done to help ease pain this Tuesday...doing life ;)
    Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  33. HI Anni Glad you got the medication situation sorted out. I don;t believe most people know what they are taking and what side effects can result from them. Love the Bottom up birds.

    ReplyDelete

.