“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW





Some Texas drivers...they boggle my mind!!

  1. The first 'named' Tropical Storm is in the Gulf of Mexico today, stirring up some winds and heavy rains I'm sure! And it's headed to the western coast of Florida...track shows it will remain a storm all along the eastern coast of USA and then farther northward is its path. By the looks of this map I read early this morning---it's gonna be around for some time!! Those of you along the predicted trail, batten down the hatches!! [by the way, her name is Andrea. That was gonna be Erik's name if born a girl. He says: "That's why I was a man child, Andrea is so sissified!" LOL]

    image courtesy of Hurricane Center
  2. After completing the book by Dan Brown, INFERNO, and so enjoying the suspense of it all; it finally came to a conclusive and concise epilogue, and I was at a loss. Here all the time turning the pages quickly to get to know what happens next and wanting the ending to come up quicker and quicker, just to know what happens at the end, I was sad to have it all come to a closure! What do I read next? I don't know 'bout you, but when a rare, good, book is finished, the next one you pick to read seems mundane. At least for a while. Especially, while you're still in the previous book's mode. And I've heard about Dante's Divine Comedy [which is a theme of Brown's INFERNO] ---I quickly picked up the first of the trilogy written by A. Dante...Dante's Inferno. And, by golly, I'm comprehending it all so far. It's a book of poetry with 'cantos' ---chapters of sorts within a huge, long, poem. The English Translation isn't bad at all. Not at all what I expected. And so far, that, too, is pretty good.
  3. A little over a week ago, I received a package from a wonderful online friend from Denmark. She always spoils me with such treasured gifts. This time it was no exception. She had emailed me that when she saw this, she thought of me right away. It's so darling. I have it placed on my nightstand for a reminder of our long lasting friendship over the years....
  4. Late yesterday afternoon I hopped in the car to drive to the park and check on the hummer, to see if any of her small brood had hatched. She was there on the nest when I arrived, and in order to not disturb her any, I just quickly snapped the photo [hence the silhouette -because of the time of day, and I didn't want to be walking around any to get her true colors]. This ritual is for a 'record' of sorts to see how long it takes from nest building; incubation time and hatching. I know it is not going to be anywhere NEAR accurate, but still 'fun'. I left as quickly as I got there. I'll check back again soon if I can...

  5. At the beach, just a reminder, having 4 wheel drive on your vehicle doesn't mean you can go anywhere in it without getting stuck!!!---
  6. Summer Hostess for Friday Fragments -- come join, here

30 comments :

  1. Oh, I love the little hummer on her nest. We've had a good number of them and I love to watch them.

    I was just in Corpus yesterday driving down and through all the horrible, never ending construction on Staples St. and I can't tell you how many times I muttered to myself, These drivers! Maybe the person who got stuck in the sand was also mindlessly driving along Staples yesterday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...isn't Staples atrocious?!!! And the drivers in this city are senseless [not me of course. lol]

      Delete
  2. That stuck jeep is priceless. I simply love the hummer silhouette, Anni. Hope all goes well with her egg(s). This could be lots of fun for you (and me). :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...we had a storm come in yesterday with violent winds, and she is the first 'person' I thought of....hoping she is okay.

      Delete
  3. I love the little hummer picture! And the jeep is really kind of funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. regarding that jeep...I thought it was hilarious myself.

      Delete
  4. So happy to see mama hummer still doing her job. I know what you mean about ending a really good book, then starting a new one. It can be a challenge. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'm now a bit concerned for her...I'll be checking in on her either today or first thing tomorrow. We had a storm move in with hellacious winds.

      Delete
  5. Is that YOUR vehicle stuck in the sand??
    I know how you feel about coming to the end of a good book!
    I have Inferno!! Will read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope...I don't drive on the beach...for that reason. AND for the reason of broken glass, boards with huge spikes, etc. etc. etc.

      Delete
  6. Like the photo of mama hummer. Wish we had them in our area.
    My 3yr gs and I are watching a nest with baby robins. He is so excited that last night we had one new baby. 2 more to go.
    I know what you mean about ending a book.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun!!!! It's so good to read that your grandchild is interested in such nature. I bet all three are hatched by now, right?

      Delete
  7. Hi Anni...it has been a whirl wind here this week but things are calming down some what.
    We moved my mom to Brighton Gardens an assisted living facility on Monday. She is adjusting very well. Tuesday when I visited they were having chair aerobics...I sat my tush down and joined in....what fun. She wanted to go 5 years ago but Daddy would not leave the house.
    Even though she has moderate dementia she was not getting enough stimulation at home. All she did was watch tv and talk to her caregiver.

    Great pictures as usual. You know I like the hummer and got a chuckle out of the 4 wheeler stuck. Kind of like the transplants here in NC. They get all puffy chested about driving in snow and oh that is nothing....until the realize our snow always starts as sleet or freezing rain..under snow not a good mixture.
    Hugs madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...so there are 'idiot drivers' everywhere then?

      Delete
  8. The silhouette is just adorable! And yes, when I finish a really good book, I am sad that all my friends are gone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, I read Dante's Inferno a LONG time ago - in college. Not sure my old brain wants to grapple with it again. I think maybe that Jeep driver learned a lesson (let's hope).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...learned a lesson, probably, but will he do it again if given a chance, probably on that too.

      Delete
  10. Just wanted to say hi to a fellow Texan. Funny how this blogging thing leads you to a comment that leads you to a blog that leads me to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jody! I love meeting other Texans y'know!!!

      Delete
  11. Forgot to say your stuck hummer reminded me of the first time we camped on Crystal Beach. We had no idea about tides so of course when we woke up the next morning our truck was tire high in water. Jody, The Medicare Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dang, hummer is humming bird and the jeep is not a hummer. Ok, what can I say, I don't know about birds but learning a lot about Duck Dynasty birds. Jody, the senior citizen Medicare Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and road kill maybe? You're too funny.

      Delete
  13. I tend to have the same thinking you do - it's hard to pick up a new book when the previous book had captured my attention so brilliantly is still fresh in my mind. And I was thinking "Dante's Inferno" when you were reflecting on what to read next - too funny! :)

    What a very sweet (and cute) gift from your friend! Very thoughtful!

    LOVE the picture of the hummer on her nest - can't wait to see the shots that will follow! :)

    That jeep picture cracked me up - some people with 4 wheel drive think they're invincible when they're not. ;)

    Farewell to Friday for a Temporary Hiatus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Stacy, I'm glad you stopped by, I realize just how busy you're gonna be, so it was a treat to have you take time to visit.

      Delete
  14. Haha my truck looked somewhat like that at one point this winter - snow not sand! :) The hummer photo is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya....I know what that's like living in Colorado and their winters for nearly 50 years.

      Delete
  15. Love that you're watching a hummer in her nest. Thnx for the pic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Road hog, beep beep. lol

    ReplyDelete

.