my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




I'm seeing.....red!

Since the birding expeditions are not very fruitful as far as photographing goes, I have been taking pictures of nature from another angle...flowers. And lots of them. Today, I'm seeing red.




The first two images were taken at Hans Suter Wildlife Refuge near Oso Bay in Corpus Christi, just on the other side of the Texas A&M south campus which you can see from across the bay. The last one, the one photo of the wild poinsettia was taken in Port Aransas this weekend. Now, to be honest, I've seen the sign of this plant that is placed below the bush for identification for those interested, but I've never seen it 'bloom'. Actually the color of a poinsettia bracket is NOT the blossom. But in all cases, this wild poinsettia is kinda pretty. The colored brackets are partially green AND red. I've tried several times to no avail, to plant the Christmas time poinsettia plant outdoors. The longest I've had them survive and actually get new leaves was when we lived in Tucson. They lasted one season after the first planting, planted in the ground, and then shriveled up to nothing. Have you ever been to Old Mexico where the plant originated? I remember driving south from the USA/Mexico border from California, and the road was beautifully lined with poinsettia TREES!!! Never forget that. Of course, I understand that the ones you purchase for the holiday season are actually hybrids from the Mexican original plants, but what I'd give to have one survive outdoors in the ground. Florida has them. Even one bush at the Alamo in San Antonio, it's huge. But no, not Anni's!!  This wild poinsettia is 'native' to Texas.  Read more...


Linking to Ruby Tuesday 2
Nature Notes [links found on sidebar under 'memes']

52 comments :

  1. So informative - and great captures!

    Happy RT2 to you, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the bushes in Florida when I visited my sister. But I've never seen a tree, although I must say, because of you, I'm ALSO seeing... red. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...but it's a good red, right?

      Delete
  3. In the Philippines we had a neighbor that has poinsettia bush. It's very pretty because of the colors. So when I came here in the US and saw poinsettia in a pot I am a bit surprise. Because what I know for poinsettia is a bush not planted in a pot.

    Kim,USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish, just WISH, I could get one to take root and survive.

      Delete
  4. I'd love to have my whole backyard filled with coral bean bushes--dazzling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...wouldn't that be sublime?!!!

      Delete
  5. I have to say that red is beautiful! sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it is a striking color to be sure.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful red flowers! I would love to see those poinsettia trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they'll take your breath away.

      Delete
  7. My grandma had a huge poinsettia tree, taller than her house. The wild one is pretty. I wish we had more around here. My sister has a coral bean bush and it is in lovely bloom right now. More rain would make all these plants even nicer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you're right. But MORE rain please indeed.

      Delete
  8. When I can't find birds, I turn to flowers also. Such pretty ones you photographed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Gail. Enjoy your trip!

      Delete
  9. Exquisite photography of Texas's beautiful flowers ~ Wonderful for RT ^_^

    ps. Son used to live in Corpus Christi ~ lovely area . Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...ya, C C isn't such a bad place to live. ;o)

      Delete
  10. your ruby red sharings today are stunning, Happy Tuesday


    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Und das herrliche Fotos liebe Anni.

    LG Mathilda ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photo's love the color red

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely reds Anni! The only poinsettias I have ever seen are in a pot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...if you ever see them growing in the ground, you'll be amazed.

      Delete
  14. We love Ruby Tuesdays as red is mom's favorite color.

    Anni our friends just love our new header and we thank you for the lovely surprise
    hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you like red, Mom!! Maybe your blog template could have some red in it?

      Delete
  15. It's always a pleasure to discover new flowers. I wouldn't have thought poinsettias would grow wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literally, they DO - mostly in Old Mexico.

      Delete
  16. I love the photos of all the red.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...but I know, you'd prefer purple!! LOL

      Delete
  17. The Turk's Cap looks a tiny bit like hibiscus. Do they come in other colors or are they all red? I have never seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. And beautiful reds they are.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I didn't even know there was a wild poinsettia or a poinsettia tree.
    Loving all your red and I'm glad it was this kind of red you were seeing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...yep, an easy on your eye kinda seeing red!!

      Delete
  20. Good Afternoon Annie Sweetie...
    Oh what a gorgeous write. I am seeing red now too. I love it when you share. You really shared the beauty in each of these plants. You are a such a great photographer.

    I hope you had a wonderful day there in your beautiful corner of the world. We are seeing our triple digit temps already. No Spring, just straight on into Summer.

    Many hugs and much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...triple digits...already?!!!

      Delete
  21. Beautiful reds and flowers! Your photos are lovely, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love seeing red - it's my favorite color. I like your new Header, Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very interesting post and beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love learning about plants.... Great post for Nature Notes... Thank you... Michelle

    ReplyDelete

.