my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


There's birds, then there's villians!!

Two memes: Links found on my right sidebar if you care to join.

WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY


A few weeks back, Corpus Christi celebrated the annual Buc Days [Buccaneer Days] with the history dating back to Piracy and the area. At the Marina and along Shoreline Drive, the black pirate flags flew!! This past weekend when Bud and I went down and watched the shrimp boats come in to dock and sell their catch of the day to the awaiting buyers, the flags were still swaying in the breeze. I thought the resident town birds in the area with the flag showing would be a good composition. This Blue Heron was situated like a statue aboard one of the shrimp boat's bow!!



_ _ _ * * * _ _ _


WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE
Joyce has these questions for us today:

1. It's National Bike Week...do you own a bicycle? When did you last ride a bike? I did own a 10 speed...when we lived in Tucson. Gave it to the neighbors when we relocated to Texas and never bought another. Actually, with the traffic and the erratic drivers in this city, I don't think I'd want to ride a bike!!

2. What's something you learned in school that wasn't part of the curriculum? BOYS!! I learned to really like boys. :::insert giggle:::

3. What's a food you've never tried, but want to try? What's a food you've tried and will never try again? Golly, good question. What food haven't I tried but want to try? You got me stumped on that one. But the second part of the question would be two things...a fish taco. EWWWW! Whoever came up with that idea should have their head examined. Seriously. And okra. It's okay in soup, but just plain okra, fried or otherwise, no thank you.

4. Have you been more demanding on yourself lately or less? Why? Do you think that's a good trend? Personally, I tend to just go with the flow. From one day to the next. No big deal. Either I like myself or I don't. Tomorrow's another day. Tho, this time of year, one thing in particular is having to wear sleeveless blouses and tank tops. I need to tone my upper arms and I'm working on it with 5# hand weights. Starting off with 50 repetitions in three different directions. If it improves the shape of my arm then it's a good trend.

5. Who is your favorite book, movie, or TV show villain? Oh great question Joyce. I love the villain; especially the villain-turn-heroic in the end!! Book, it would be Phantom of the Opera. So sad, yet considered a villain; tho, not really. Movie, I like "V", a masked vigilante who does good OR evil depending on your point of view. A quote I love from the movie is by "V" ---'People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people'. and 'Remember, remember, the Fifth of November, the Gunpowder Treason and Plot. I know of no reason why the Gunpowder Treason should ever be forgot'. [ in history, this was associated with Guy Fawkes in 1605 -- read more...] and TV villain [turned hero] would hafta be Jonathon Cole [photo shown above-aka Special Agent Casey Stratton of the FBI] ---he was part of the phantom 8 on the tv series, NCIS - died a 'hero' saving NCIS agents in a bomb threat. My favorite last line of one episode, before he was blasted away, gotta love this: "It's not the danger. It's the fun" as he sent Gibbs away trying to diffuse the bomb threat. He may have come to them lying from the beginning in the premiere, but the character was a good addition to the series, and of everyone involved, it seems safe to say he's likely dead. Unless he found a way to run in time—which didn't seem likely—he didn't survive that bomb. [read more...]


ONE MORE...WE NEED A FEMALE VERSION HERE-----Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty would be my choice from way back!!


6. How concerned are you about identity theft? First, my privacy is very guarded. I try to stay off the grid as much as I can for that reason.

7. I saw this last question on Dawn's blog a couple of week's ago and asked if I could share. Everybody hop over and say hi, but first answer this...would you rather have an ordinary home in an extraordinary place or an extraordinary home in an ordinary place? I can't have extraordinary home in an extraordinary place? Bummer. Okay, my dream would be to have a home on 1000s of acres on the Pacific Coast. The house would be built on a cliff overlooking the coast with unobstructed views of the ocean. And the home, I guess would have to be 'ordinary' except for one thing...all glass walls facing to the west!!! That is a must.

8. Insert your own random thought here. With Memorial Day coming up soon, I thought I'd share this: In 1915, inspired by the poem "In Flanders Fields," Moina Michael replied with her own poem:




We cherish too, the Poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led,
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies.




She then conceived of an idea to wear red poppies on Memorial day in honor of those who died serving the nation during war. She was the first to wear one, and sold poppies to her friends and co-workers with the money going to benefit servicemen in need. Later a Madam Guerin from France was visiting the United States and learned of this new custom started by Ms.Michael and when she returned to France, made artificial red poppies to raise money for war orphaned children and widowed women. This tradition spread to other countries. In 1921, the Franco-American Children's League sold poppies nationally to benefit war orphans of France and Belgium. The League disbanded a year later and Madam Guerin approached the VFW for help. Shortly before Memorial Day in 1922 the VFW became the first veterans' organization to nationally sell poppies. Two years later their "Buddy" Poppy program was selling artificial poppies made by disabled veterans. In 1948 the US Post Office honored Ms Michael for her role in founding the National Poppy movement by issuing a red 3 cent postage stamp with her likeness on it.

When you celebrate in remembrance, please have a safe holiday!!


[images shared on question #5 are results of a Google Search...no infringement of copyright intended]

44 comments :

  1. The heron aspires to be a pirate!!! This is really a perfect picture!!! I've always loved the Flanders Fields poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to try okra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, you can definitely have MY share.

      Delete
  3. Great bird photos!
    Nice to see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great heron picture!
    I'm with you on fish tacos. It just sounds so wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it IS! ALL kinds o' wrong.

      Delete
  5. Arrrggghh SPOILER ALERT!!!! NCIS is still only part way through Season 9 here in UK (unless you pay for extra channels)!!! Bombs?! There's more of that dude....noooooo!

    And fish tacos? Does the fish not make the taco shells soggy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's also the smell of fish that'll knock your socks off eating fish tacos. Sophie, you do know you can watch ALL episodes of NCIS online for free. Even UK I understand.

      HERE

      Delete
  6. You are so right about the phantom! Such a sad villain. So misunderstood! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandparents were American Legion members and I remember the red poppies being pinned on their jackets and on their hats...but I never asked why - so thank you for sharing that little bit of info :) My hubby and I just started watching NCIS (we have been big fans of NCIS:Los Angeles) and their villains are fantastic! :) Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never cared for NCIS L.A.....too 'hollywood' for me.

      Delete
  8. Aww, the Phantom! I wish I'd thought of that one. One of my all time favorite stories and characters, and I am slightly addicted to the music too. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH the music....me too, me too.

      Delete
  9. Ohhh, love the answer "boys"! That's a good one. And I agree with okra. Recently tried it and it was so slimy. Yuk. I couldn't get past the look of the slime. Have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. slimy....perfect notation on that 'stuff'!!!

      Delete
  10. Can't STAND okra at all! That heron with the pirate flag is a really cool picture. He just needs to put a little eyepatch over his beak and he'll be all set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...finally another Southern Belle who doesn't like it. I was beginning to think I was the only one.

      Delete
  11. Well Anni you know mom is all gaga over the Great Heron...sometimes I think she loves birds more than me. MOL

    Sending Wednesday hugs to Winnie and Tahoe
    Madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bird and Cats...they're THE best y'know sweet Madi!

      Delete
  12. Your answer to #2 made me giggle, too. :) The way you feel about fish tacos is the way I feel about raisins inserted in anything. It's just wrong! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, I like raisins...in cookies and chocolate. LOL But fish tacos? OMGoodness.

      Delete
  13. Good Morning Annie Sweetie...
    Oh my goodness, I love, LOVE this photo of the heron with the Pirate flag. Yes, me thinks he desires to come aboard and join the crew. I love it.

    You have the best eye behind that lens of your camera. I love seeing what you see.

    Girl, I am so with you on the fish tacos. Who the heck came up with that? I can't mix my taco with a fish. Yuck...

    Have a glorious day sweet friend. Many hugs, smiles and much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...beef, chicken, even beans...but fish...NO WAY José

      Delete
  14. That pirate heron is wonderful! Love these shots, and the Flanders Fields poem as well. I think we tend to forget that Memorial Day isn't just about kicking off summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, I so agree with your statement about 'kicking off the summer season'.

      Delete
  15. Okay you have a lot of villains you like don't you? And your home of the Pacific sounds nice. I got rid of my bike too. And I learned about boys too. sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, I love to hate the 'bad guys'. Boo, hiss

      Delete
  16. Always so nice to se the heron and here with the pirate flag it was funny too!
    Thanks for your nice comment, Annie! /Pia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's a neat shot, if I do say so myself. LOL

      Delete
  17. Oh my goodness that heron really does look like he was put there on purpose!

    I'm not a big okra fan either and you're braver than e if you've tried a fish taco!

    I hadn't actually considered the Phantom, but I agree. My lady-villain is Lady Macbeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....Lady Macbeth!!! Excellent choice!

      Delete
  18. Great blue heron lives in Slovakia too. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these birds are nearly world wide. Wherever there is water.

      Delete
  19. Anni, I love your pirate/heron shot. I love a good mystery book and fish tacos are really not that bad. I tried some while I was in Florida. You have to get them at the right place. Your house on the Pacific coast sounds wonderful to me. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Eileen, to each his own I say. Fish tacos are NOT for me. No matter where I would order them.

      Delete
  20. Looks like he's supervising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...yes, now that you mention it.

      Delete
  21. Awesome post, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your heron with the pirate flag!
    On a little personal note, when I was doing some family research I found we had a pirate way back on my Dad's side that supposedly was part of Blackbeard's crew. I don't have definite proof but I like the idea. :)
    Each year as I did this week I buy artificial poppies for my Grandpa's grave. He was a WWII Veteran.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the shots of the heron. I'm giggling right along with on your answer to learning to like boys

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm having fits..in a SC campground there are all sorts of fireworks surrounding us as if it is just another fun time and not many really feel the meaning of Memorial Day (weekend). This is celebrating in remembrance? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete

.