my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



I'm jumping for joy today.......


....the photo shares for this post is of Blucher Park [downtown Corpus Christi] as I walked through in search for some cool feathered friends.


For weeks, months, I've been convincing Bud to return to the city park situated in the downtown area. All for the cagey little rascal that has 'dive bombed me' with a surprise fly-by when at the park grounds, only to go into hiding and not become visible again for the time we are there on that particular day. It's a night bird, so naturally, since we don't go out much after dark [both of us do not have too good a'night-time vision for driving], we have rarely see the bird since we're there during the day. But while on the weekly Audubon Birding Tours to the park, we both knew it was there. Recently, I asked Bud, "Do you want to go the Hans Suter Park and look for the snake in the grass, or Port Aransas and then walk on the beach, or would you prefer we go see if we can find "Chuck" at Blucher Park and then walk along the seawall and watch the shrimp boats come in?" Bless his heart...he said "Let's go to Blucher. It's been a while since we've walked along the seawall too."

I'm so darned thrilled. We nearly instantly saw phantom brown bird as we trekked down the incline into the park heading for the small creek that meanders through the lower level. "Whooooop"!! It whizzed by our heads! Long gone. Once again. Drat!! We walked around the entire park along the creek, through the trees, not seeing too many birds. Cardinals, Sparrows, a few grackles, mockingbirds were heard from high up in the trees...a couple of flycatchers. That's about it. As we left to leave the area and drive to the banks of the Gulf Bay and the seawall and marina, I told Bud I'd walk through the woodsy part and meet him at the car. On the last section before having to climb the hill to get to the city street...I just stood there and looked at all the beautiful greenery. With the recent rains, it's turned GREEN here in Corpus. Yay!! The wild flowers were blooming. The sunlight filtering through the trees' canopies, and the stillness of the time of day nearly tranquilized me.

Then....all of a sudden......out of the blue [so to speak] the widow returned! And it LANDED just several feet from me on a low branch. I raised my camera to eye level and prayed it would stay perched for at least one photo...please, pretty please, with sugar on top. I got one!! And as I said, recent rains equals, you know what.....MOSQUITOES!! I just let 'em chaw away at my legs and arms as I clicked the shutter a few more times. Up until a lady and her dog came near by and off the Chuck Will's Widow flew!! But...I got a few photos of one bird that has been on my 'to find and photograph list' ever since I became heavily involved in bird photography!! I'll get the photos resized and then up on my bird photo blog. After walking around and watching the shrimpers out in the bay, and the gulls and pelicans following them for handouts, we just drove home. I can't tell you, or describe what I felt to get these photos. I was shaking with excitement when I got to the car and told Bud I got to get a picture!! He was happy too, but disappointed that he went up the hill ahead of me. The one I got to take pictures of is the male...is there a female too? Maybe so. I can now mark it off of my chart where I'm recording bird sightings---but not to discourage myself in any way to give up finding the Gal Pal of his!!

I'm jumping for joy!!!



Today is Erik's birthday. He didn't win the power ball. Yesterday he texted me saying: "tomorrow I'll wake up 40 something, and rich". Well, at least part of the statement was true. One out of two isn't bad. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ERIK!!


Animation courtesy of: glitter-graphics.com

24 comments :

  1. Yay! I know how hard it can be to get a picture of a bird, especially when it's one that has been eluding you. :)
    The mosquitoes are just awful here too. I can hardly step outside!
    Happy Birthday to Erik!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually spray before I go out walking around, birding, but I didn't this time. I think maybe that was something good, 'cause if I had stopped to spray insect repellent on myself, the timing would have kept me from seeing the bird. Maybe.

      Delete
  2. Birthday blessings to Erik.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful story, This is your story of the bird on your other blog that I just saw, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...nope, that's a whole 'nother birding day and photos. That was the Phalarope, this one as I typed in the post is the Chuck Will's Widow.

      Delete
  4. What a fun outing! :) And, happy birthday to Erik.

    Hugs from Port Canaveral,
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to Erik! And congratulations to you for the sighting. I can feel the excitement and joy just reading your post!I hope his lady friend makes an appearance soon. Hasn't it been wonderful to see how things have "greened up" since the rains? Your pictures are lovely, as always-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh yes, I've been anxiously awaiting more of that great wet stuff, but each day it gets hotter and hotter, burning off the heavy cloud cover.

      Delete
  6. Great outing, Anni! Except for the skeeters. Congrats on your sighting! Happy Birthday to Erik!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those little birds at the top of the post.
    How exciting that you got those pictures.
    Happy Birthday to Erik, too bad about not winning the lottery, we didn't hit it either

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, it was someone in Florida. At least that is where the ticket was sold. Thanks Ann.

      Delete
  8. Well Erik didn't get the power ball...I got the power ball number and that's worth $4...Sound like you hit the jack pot as for bird watching.
    Happy Birthday Erik

    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting.
    Wonderful images.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay....you know those darn mosquitos are carrying diseases....get you some Avon Skin So Soft....the oil....and rub it on you...you'll smell good, and your skin will feel good...and the mosquitos hate it for some unknown reason! Seriously. I keep it in my bathroom just for going out with the munching little critters!


    So happy for you that you've had rain...and that you saw your bird! Hope the female will be close behind...and your hubby will stay with you next time!

    And my kids thought they were going to win, too. I gave up on winning on the lottery years ago...figured I was spending too much food money trying to get out of poverty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do have insect repellent in the car, but failed to use it. Good thing probably as that would have delayed me in the timing of having the bird pose for me. LOL

      Delete
  11. Anni,

    What wonderful photos and your excitement is contagious. Love to go birding. Saw one a few weeks ago that I have never seen before but dang, I haven't been able to ID it. It was entirely black, except for the wing patches and they were light blue and grey striped. In all my years of living in this part of the world, I have never seen one like it before. Makes me mad I can't find out what it is though.

    Happy Birthday to Erik. Hope he has a wonderful day.

    Thanks also for dropping by my Writing Nook and commenting. Going to get photos of my next project up soon.

    Blessings to you and Bud. Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI ANNI AND A VERY VERY HAPPY 40 SOMETHING B-DAY TO YOUR HANDSOME SON ERIK. AS ALWAYS WE ENJOYED YOUR POST, PICTURES AND WRITING.
    MY HOPE THIS YEAR IS TO GET A DECENT UP CLOSE PICTURE OF 'MY' HUMMER.
    HUGS MADI AND MOM

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great shots and Happy Birthday to Erik. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you, you bird stalker you!!!!

    ReplyDelete

.