my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Just 'cause they're creation...doesn't mean I like 'em!!!

...the last of the snake images; I hope!!


For Wednesday's post on Wild Birds, I published/shared one photo of a pair of American Coots standing on reed [water grass]...just beside the pair was a huge Diamondback Water Snake [non-venomous], as if the two didn't have a care in the world...least concerned over their daytime neighbor. The snake itself, also, wasn't a bit interested in the birds. I wondered why?!! Do they not eat birds or bird eggs? I guess not. At least not what I read online about their diet. This is a rare water snake which may be mistaken, I read further, for the venomous cottonmouth.  I've seen a cottonmouth in real time and for me, it doesn't come close to resembling a water moccasin!!   This snake, tho, is diurnal, but during hot weather, it may become active at night. It may be observed basking upon branches, shrubs, tree roots, and along the banks of waterways.  They are wary and will slip off their basking perch at any sign of danger and will dive to the bottom and anchor themselves to logs, branches, rocks, or other debris. If cornered, they will flatten their jaws and bodies. They will strike and bite viciously and repeatedly. If picked up, they will release a very unpleasant musk and fecal matter, and in very nervous specimens, regurgitating any recently eaten meal. Even after being held for some time, they will not miss an opportunity to bite, and since they a rather large snakes they have long teeth that make the lacerations bleed profusely. The treatment, however, is only soap and water. These are non venomous snakes! Diamondback water snakes are probably active from April to October, spending their winters underground. And their diet? --Diamondback water snakes are active hunters and may hunt both day and night. They feed on a wide variety of animals associated with water. Fish, amphibians, baby turtles, young snakes, worms, leeches, insects, crayfish, and mammals are consumed. A wider variety of prey is utilized at higher temperatures. They hunt by patrolling the water next to the shore for food. They sometimes swim through a school of small fish with their mouths wide open and swallow anything they can catch or herd fish into a shallow area of water and then create a barrier with a loose coil of its body. These snakes are not constrictors and simply swallow prey alive. I see no birds listed what-so-ever as their meals, on any other site, either. So guess the Coots knew this, and of course, me being a snake-hater, I didn't know.  And never really wanted to look up any info 'til I saw it inattentive to the birds beside its daybed. LOL

Denise, from Shortybear's Place, commented that "Snakes Freak Me Out"...you and me both!! I have a deathly fear of them. This snake however had several yards between me and it. And I was above ground on a boardwalk. LOL So, after watching it slither around on the reed, basking in the noon-day sunlight for a while, I began taking a few photos. It's said to tell the difference between a venomous snake and at non-venomous snake, look at their eyes; their pupils!! I say........WHO THE HECK WOULD GET CLOSE ENOUGH TO A SNAKE TO CHECK THE SHAPE OF THE EYES/PUPILS?!!! Not me, thank you very much.





26 comments :

  1. Yes, I think most people are scared of snakes, including ME!! Many years ago, an older relative of mine owned an old cabin in the woods. And she always said they were so glad when they would get there and see snakes. That way they knew there would be no rats or mice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool sighting and shots of the Snake. Glad it is not poisonous. Anni, during our walk in the Everglades, there was a snake on top of the boardwalk. They can go anywhere it seems. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...I realize they can go just about anywhere...that's why I fear 'em. LOL

      Delete
  3. That is so funny, Anni: let me get close enough to this snake to look at its pupils. Not! I am fascinating by snakes, but I keep my distance. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...seriously, I would not even THINK of getting any closer than I was. Trust me.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. ....sold! To the highest bidder.

      Delete
  5. Water snakes are a bit scary. Great captures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...a bit scary? I think they're terrifying. LOL

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. If I were brave enough to even capture it [NOT!!] I'd ship it to you so you can also enjoy its beauty close up and personal. Ewwww.

      Delete
  7. I think snakes are cool .... unless I almost step on one .... and then I freak out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMGoodness...I think if I stepped on a snake, I'd die of a heart attack right on the very spot.

      Delete
  8. You may not like 'em,but these are great shots!;)
    Visiting through Camera Critters.Have a great Saturday!
    xx Carly from www.Peacefullychaotic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a beautiful snake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never call ANY snake beautiful...but to each his own. LOL

      Delete
  10. Ewww!! I would be too terrified to photograph a snake! But great photos. I hadn't noticed your "political soapbox" before. I, too, am surprised at how many voters in the US don't even know they live in a Republic, not a Democracy. And it's unfortunate to see how polarized our country has become. Most people have one opinion if the politician is from their party, and the completely opposite opinion if the politician is from the other party. To me, that's hypocrisy. I have certain opinions that haven't changed when the party of the president changed. But I digress on my soap box...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try very hard not to call names and point fingers, but so many Americans are seriously misguided.

      Delete
  11. Oh dear Mom is typing with her feet in the air. She does not do snakes either..all are dangerous to her cause she said she'd stop breathing if she saw any of them.
    Hugs madi
    we are sending you an email

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do not like snakes, but I can tolerate the non-venomous ones for their help in killing mice, rats, and bugs that eat my garden.
    But as for the others ... Last Sunday I found a small Copperhead in one of my flower beds at the edge of the woods. After I stopped screaming, I got a hoe and killed it. Now I am afraid to go back down there.
    Your photos are really good!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yikes! You keep him out there ...
    Hope all is well with you my friend.
    Have a beautiful week ~
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...all's well here in the 'hood Marydon!! :o)

      Delete

.