my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


We got surprises on our side...

The joke's on me!! You see, 44 years ago, I was expecting to deliver a son. The doctors said I was carrying a boy, Bud was sure it was a boy, my mother in law even bet with my father [$50 & a Bottle of Champagne] that it was a boy. All along my father said the baby I was expecting would be a girl. Well, it turns out, come April Fool's Day, we were ALL Fools. Except for my dad. He relished in his crisp brand new off the presses $50. And we all shared in the champagne after I was released from the hospital with my new baby girl. It all seems like yesterday. It's true. An old saying, but for me, it WAS yesterday. My little Irish redhead....

Where are you going my little one, little one?
Where are you going my baby my own?

Turn around and your four
Turn around and you're a young girl going out of the door.

Turn around turn around, turn around and you're a young wife
with babes of your own!!

[And this ol' 44 year old has gifted me with a 24 year old grandson - who will be 24 on May 12th, and the youngest grandson is 17.]

I tellya...time flies.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY IRENE!!!


---

This past week, we've not been home much. Of course, as always lately we've been "Gone Birdin'". It's a very active time of year for all the different migrating birds that are coming through Texas on their way North. So many different species, so little time. One day we drove to Port Aransas in hopes of seeing some migrants. We went to Paradise Pond [which is dry because of the drought conditions...but still some birds]. We saw there, yellow crowned night herons, scissortail flycathers, king birds, black crowned night herons, and cardinals this time. Then, later we stopped at Leonabelle Refuge...there, I was busy with my camera. Moorhens, ruddy ducks, cormorants, pelicans [both white and brown], northern shovelers, Eastern and Western Kingbirds [one is yellow while the other is black and white], pintail ducks and cinnamon teals. Another day, we ventured to another area on the islands, and saw egrets, the snowy, the common AND cattle egrets, herons, and a migrating bird, the gray blue [or is it blue gray] gnatcatcher!! And I got photos of it. The tiny ones are very difficult to photograph 'cause they're way too fast, swift in movement and never land long enough to focus on them.  Oh and I noticed the swallows are returning!!  Another morning came and we were off again. This time to a city park here in town. Where I spotted a white eyed vireo. I've read online and in my bird guide books that they are often heard but SELDOM seen. I persevered and followed his/her song 'til I finally spotted it in the tree. Very elusive. And I posted the four pictures I got of IT on my bird photo blog!! Driving along Laguna Shores on the outskirts of town one day this past week, Bud spotted an osprey dining on its 'catch of the day'. Posted those photos this week on my photo blog also. Yesterday, on Easter Sunday, we were on our way out for Easter Brunch. There is an I-Hop Pancake House real close to our neighborhood, and we decided to go there and then drive over to Pollywog Ponds and Hilltop Birding/Nature Trail. Both on on the way to San Antonio Texas. At Pollywog Ponds we saw ducks, pelicans, egrets, kiskadees, cattle egret, woodpeckers and cardinals. At Hilltop Trail, we heard quite a few birds, but only saw cardinals and one blue gray flycatcher. Besides it was becoming a bit warm on the trail...there are some shaded areas, but a lot of it is out in the open...hot sun blistering our backsides. It was time to head back home anyway. Now the ironic part of this trip was we drove 40 some miles, and then...just two blocks away from home, there...in the bank of a grassy area...sitting pretty as can be...a lone Caracara!! [A Mexican Eagle] I stopped and took pictures of that beauty too. Sometime soon, I want to go over Harbor Bridge to Portland Texas where there is an area good for birding. Oh, and soon, a walk around the Botanical Gardens just outside town. The gardens have a lot of hummingbirds in the spring. [Butterflies too]

But all this gabbing and I haven't gotten to the point yet. You see, there ARE other things we see and other things I photograph when we're out and about. Some surprises, some not. I mentioned a long time ago, that this Leonabelle Refuge has resident alligators. Two. Named Boots and Bags. Well, a short while ago, Bags [the female] died. And Boots was left all alone. This past week, when we stopped there, Bud spotted with his binoculars TWO alligators!! Obviously they acquired a female for Boots.

In another park close by home on the way to the islands, we stopped and was surprised to see this booger...


Don't know what they were saying to each other, but I'm sure there were some braggin' rights going on. Of who caught the biggest, or perhaps the big one got away from them both!! NOW who's the FOOL?

- - -

By the way, did you know [perhaps it's an urban legend...never looked it up], but the history of April Fool's Day and the "Fool" part goes back in history to the 1500s? Up until the Georgian calender the first of the year was April 1st. When it was changed to January 1st, those that had not heard the news/the change, the ones that were still on April 1st being the first day of the year...they were called April Fools? Now, is that true? Or is it an April Fool's Day Joke?

30 comments :

  1. Whether this story is true or not, I LOVE it!! And your new header is divine! Gosh, you have some scary critters there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, they're not all that scary. At least at that distance. LOL

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday to your daughter, Anni! Exciting news about your grandbaby to be too. I wish I did not work full time, I would love to be out there looking for some migrating birds. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No...no 'new' grandson, he'll be 24 on May 12th.

      Delete
  3. What a great story about your daughter- happy birthday to her! And oh, alligators! I don't like them as we had a menace of one in a pond here in one of our pastures.

    Love the new header! I'm glad you got to see the birds- they are fast and furious right now, the way they are moving through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I failed to reveal why my dad 'guessed' right on a granddaugher...he secretly told me after the fact, that I carried the baby high just like my mom...so, he KNEW it was a girl all along. Smart a$$. LOL

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday to Irene - best April Fools ever! Those are some great critter shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Mari. I agree about the best April Fool's.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad the gator isn't all alone, but I'll leave them both alone! I love your bird descriptions, and the raccoon is kind of cute, isn't he? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ya, they're cute unless you think "rabies". LOL

      Delete
  6. First I like the new header. This weekend was so nice and I saw lots of cardinals in our cedar trees,but could not get a good shot of them with my little camera. We have been watching a woodchuck the last few days.
    Glad Boots is no longer alone!!!
    Happy Birthday to your daughter. Does she still have the red hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Sharon. Now you got me reciting, how much wood could a woodchuck wood!!

      Delete
  7. Great raccoon shot and I bet that bird was indeed keeping an eye on his fishing spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, seeing the raccoon in my lens was a surprise, I was at first just focusing on the egret.

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday to your daughter! My husband's youngest daughter turns 31 today. She's as Irish as Irish can be with flaming red hair.

    I love this time of year for birding. Looks like you are seeing plenty out on your hikes. Nice shots of the gators, egret and raccoon. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know for a fact, I'm Lovin' it.

      Delete
  9. Happy Happy Birthday to your precious daughter!!
    And thank you for the lovely pictures
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy, happy birthday to your daughter. What an April Fools Day that was, eh? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to your dear daughter. I love your beautiful new header.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the name Irene - that was the name of my beloved aunt. Happy birthday Irene - and I love your header. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not sure about the history of April fools as I've never heard it before but it sounds good to me :)
    Happy Birthday to your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Ann. Somebody has to be the fool I guess.

      Delete
  14. My daughter will be 43 this year. It is hard to believe she isn't still that cute little redheaded girl anymore. She's morphed into a beautiful redheaded woman. Where does the time go? Love that raccoon pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, kids aren't 'kids' for very long, are they?

      Delete
  15. Happy Birthday to your daughter, Irene. I love that name. Is it a family name? I don't hear it much anymore... I had three sons ---and somehow (in my gut)--I just knew that all three of them were boys.. ha

    Looks like you have had a great week of birding... Gotta do it when they are there!!!!!! Congrats.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we'll probably go out birding again today. LOL Thanks Betsy.

      Delete

.