my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




It's such a pretty world today....

Contemplating shadows in our back yard the other day, I took a photo of the shadows of the raised flower bed creating shadows on the lawn. I've had the upright bird feeders [4 on wrought iron] for about a year now. I'm trying a different approach since the only birds that show up 99% of the time are sparrows and white winged doves. I am hoping that with this addition on top of the wrought iron will attract different birds in our backyard. A birder that has blogged wonderful photos of birds from time to time, last week she had a great idea that I followed. She bought a splatter screen at the Dollar Store, an inexpensive grapevine wreath at Walmart and added to her creation different and colorful things birds like. Rebecca's was made to hang from a tree ---using twine for the hanger and a pine cone hanging from the top down to the center, covered with suet. Before I go to all the trouble [besides I didn't have enough jute to make it a hanging feeder...lol], I thought I'd use crafting wire to stabilize it on top of what already exists in our yard. I added a block of suet [crumbled], peanuts, and a mixture of millet, sunflower, corn and other seeds into the splatter screen. Along the grapevine, I added a quartered orange, some berry branches, and peanut butter snack crackers. Now, if I don't get a bigger variety of birds, I am almost positive I might attract squirrels, flies, and perhaps a rat. LOL Hey, maybe even a opossum. Who knows? We'll see.

While working on wiring the new bird wreath feeder, I happened to see this pink hibiscus blooming and its own petals created shadows. Of course, pink is one of my favorite colors of hibiscus, I had to pull the cellphone out of my pocket and snap the image to share as a shadow shot. And when I was done, I couldn't resist touching the velvety, soft petals. There is something about their texture I like....like smooth, young and unblemished skin.

Walking afterward, at a local park that is nearby, within minutes of our home, there were not too many active birds so late in the afternoon. I managed to spot a Snowy Egret that had just flown in and perched on a tree limb that was jutting out of the water ---in the shade. The heat of the day was even a bit too much for me [mid 80s], so I empathized with seeking a bit of relief by the cool water and shading my feathers!! It didn't remain there for very long as another bird flew within inches of its perch...a tri-colored heron. Scenes like this seem so tranquil, I feel good about being outdoors and enjoying the great winter weather.

connecting to:
Shadow Shot Sunday

44 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed this Denise.

      Delete
  2. Magnifique pas d autre mot,bravo a vous !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Anni girl !
    Sounds like you are as busy as ever and enjoying the birds .. our poor little ones are cold .. I have the heated bird bath for drinking water for them but so far they are hesitant about using it .. hoping they will soon !
    I am on the fly but I wanted to stop by and say hello and thanks for dropping by girl !
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too know just how busy YOU are. Once in a while, I tend to shoot off and go visit with you on a whim...and I'm glad I did today.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful shots of nature's beautiful gems ~

    Carol of: A Creative Harbor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes me think of the Louis Armstrong song - What a wonderful World. One of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, me too...I love that song.

      Delete
  6. What a great idea! I'm going to the Dollar Tree as soon as they open. I'm sure the husband will jump right on this as soon as he sees me giving it a try...it's his way to get in there and take over on these types of projects. Which is why I always start them when he's at home. LOL There was a snowy egret at the pond this morning. I was there too. Without my camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...so far, just sparrows...again!!! {{{sigh}}}

      Delete
  7. Some lovely shadow photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your hibiscus! Gosh, I hope you do not attract any rats! Are there any around your area? And your Valentine background has changed! It always nice seeing your different ones, a nice surprise. I AM right? It did change? I am getting more and more senior brain lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks...yes I did change the template, I didn't care much for the dark, dreary blacks.

      Delete
  9. Anni, sounds like you had a wonderful day. Your hibiscus is beautiful and I love the pretty Egret. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, and happy Sunday to you too Eileen.

      Delete
  10. I love your hibiscus shot, so relaxing to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was really pretty swaying ever so gently in the breeze.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful shots, Anni. I am also a fan of hibiscus flowers. They are indeed different species than anything I see in the Pacific Northwest! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh but the Pacific NW has its own beauties!!!

      Delete
  12. Your back yard is lovely and to see blooming flowers is fabulous! The snowy is wonderful and I'd melt in those temps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean...when we first left Colorado and lived in Tucson, the first year, it was quite unbearable 'til we acclimated...from then on 50 degrees was darned cold.

      Delete
  13. do hope for birds to come...not opossum...those things are so nasty!! great shadows shots anni!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never liked opossum either 'til I read somewhere that they LOVE to eat cockroaches. From that point on, I didn't mind seeing them around.

      Delete
  14. Anni your garden is beautiful and so are your shadow shots.

    It must be so nice to have a blooming garden this time of year.

    Awwww...alas, we here will have to wait until March for the blooms to start.

    I use to do Shadow Sunday on my old blog and always enjoyed it.

    Great post. I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'all know by March it's getting pretty close to summertime temps here already.

      Delete
  15. Even the heart of the hibiscus holds a shadow...

    Shadowy Peril

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well yes...now that you pointed that out, I do see the stamen shadow. Good eye for detail MMT.

      Delete
  16. Lovely-lucky birds that come to your yard too. They're not spoiled, are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just walked through the dining room, with a view to outdoors where I can see the new wreath feeder...a squirrel has 'christened it'! LOL

      Delete
  17. What a great idea for the wreath. Always amazes me the things people come up with

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you could make one that is very pretty...what with your talents!!

      Delete
  18. Beautiful captures for the day, Anni!! I love the egret!! Hope you've had a great weekend and ready for a good week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Sylvia. I appreciate the compliment and you stopping in to visit with me.

      Delete
  19. elegant shadows and photos

    ReplyDelete
  20. The bird feeders are great - in the warmer Gulf climes you can use them to attract many beautiful avians all year long. Up here, the bird feeders in winter attract squirrels and in some places, bears...hope you get thousands of birds with nary a rodent in sight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the first to christen it, a squirrel.

      Delete
  21. I love birds and our favorite running/walking place behind the rec center close to our home is getting a million dollar make over! Drat! All the birds will be scarce! Kids on skateboards, people playing tennis, aack!
    I was walking one day and an old gent came alongside and was telling me about the herons that hang around the two ponds! I love watching the birds and as a young woman I knew a man who worked for the county like me and he was a bonafide bird watcher! I loved listening to him tell me about birds!
    Good to see you here!
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've oftentimes find myself talking birds with other birders...they can tell me stories I'd never dream of.

      Delete
  22. What a lovely variety of shadows! Love the egret and the hibiscus especially!

    ReplyDelete

.