my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Step right up...find him & he's yours!!

Okay, if you were raising your children in the early 1970s like I was, you may have heard, or even purchased the book, WHERE'S WALDO? I guess they're still being published and it's my understanding that now they've been banned in some countries?!!!! Well, there were absolutely NO lewd scenes in the one book our kids had!! I know for a fact, 'cause we used to read the book and search for Waldo 3 - 4 times a week until Erik and Irene had it memorized by page. I don't know what happened to the book in all these years, but sometimes I wish we still had it...as I love hidden objects in pictures!!

Anyway, this IS supposed to be a 'wordless' Wednesday post, but it just didn't turn out that way. Again.

Picture this...Bud and I are at Lakeview Park on the outskirts of the town headed toward the beach roads, and we stopped at the lake. We always walk around the lake in hunt for some bird that may have stopped over for a day or two on its way to somewhere better. This lake houses ducks, pigeons, grackles, sparrows, geese and cormorants year 'round, but there are some other species that seldom hit the water...this day it was me 'chasing' a bird around the pond. Each time I'd get close by, it'd fly off to the opposite side on the other bank. I got him finally. He thought he was hidden from me. Not so!!!

But...can you find the little booger? Look closely....




If you need help finding him, click here


CONNECTING TO:





- - -


HODGEPODGE
Questions and challenges from our Hodgepodge hostess this week are:


1. What rule of life should never be broken? Always be true to yourself!!

2. What's your favorite family recipe? Can I say food? LOL --- I had to think long and hard on this question. And, finally, I think I have the answer. Potato Salad. As a kid, I watched my mom make this and of course we all loved it. [a family of five kids, spouses, and several grandkids ---that's a LOT of potatoes]. When I married, my father in law complimented me on this dish, and it made my mother in law jealous!! She, in a turn about way, tried to get the recipe as my FIL NEVER complimented on food served before. In fact, Bud, sitting at the table next to him and me was speechless for the fact he said good things about my potato salad. I'll just say here that I add crisp bacon AND chopped black olives ---among a few other secret ingredients. It IS yummy.

3. Is the media manipulative?
No thinking here...My answer is YES. And the sad part about it all in these days and times, the media is BIASED. And it shouldn't be. Oh and another thing...people are so gullible they BELIEVE all the nonsense of the media...from the news to those insipid 'reality' shows!!

4. Hubs and I saw Skyfall last weekend...are you a fan of the Bond films? If so, who's your favorite Bond? I'm not a 'FAN'atic about the Bond movies, but I've seen 'em all except for Skyfall which will be purchased on a DVD I'm sure after its run in the theaters. I never cared for Sean Connery...nor any of the other 'dorky' Bonds...except for Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig. If I had to choose between those two, it'd be Craig. He doesn't have the dark tall and handsome 'looks'...but he has CLASS. By the way, the LEAST favorite is/was Roger Moore. Ewwww.

5. What is one thing you hope people never say about you? I could care less what other people say or think of me...see #1 answer.

6. What's a nearby tourist attraction you'd like to see, but haven't gotten around to visiting? A lighthouse in Brownsville Texas. The times we've been that far south along the coast, we've never had enough time to stop. Or I should say, we have never MADE the time. Hopefully this time next year I will have seen it.

7. Where's your favorite tree? Say what? A tree...and a favorite at that? My favorite tree in my youth was at my grandmother's farm...in .... ready? Nebraska!!! I had a tree house there. My grandmother would give me crackers and a bottle of milk...and I'd walk along the pasture to reach the tree that was on the banks of a creek [crick to those living in that state]. But the house is no longer there...and the land is no longer in my family....so, I don't know if the tree is there any longer. But, oh the memories!!! By the way, I dubbed my tree house Picnic Mount. Now, if you're asking just a favorite KIND of tree, it'd probably be the Blue Spruce...in the Colorado Mountains, or the Bald Cypress in the Louisiana swamps.

8. Insert your own random thought here. I can't believe that next week is Thanksgiving, can you?


CONNECTING TO:

72 comments :

  1. They've actually banned Where's Waldo in some countries?? Whatever for, I wonder?? Like you, we had those books as well when my boys were kids and they loved looking and finding Waldo:-) I'll be honest here, I had to click on your "help" link to see where that bird was hidden! lol I couldn't see it at all on my own.

    That's too funny about your FIL having praised your potato salad when he was never known to give compliments like that. No wonder your MIL was jealous! lol

    Ah yes, the media....in my opinion they are the cause of a lot of problems in this world, they know how to get the people riled up and as you say, people are stupid enough to believe everything they read!!

    Pierce Brosnan has always been my favourite James Bond:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So...you're a PB Bond lady then, huh?

      Delete
  2. Ah YES the media IS manipulative.
    I like your Hodgepodge answers.
    I had to get your help to find the little booger.
    I couldn't find Waldo so easy either - but banned???
    Sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, banned....at least that's what I read. http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/2011/0928/20-banned-books-that-may-surprise-you/The-Where-s-Waldo-series-by-Martin-Hanford --- and numerous other sites also.

      Delete
  3. I needed your help in order to see the little booger.. He really thought he was hiding from you...

    Be true to yourself is SO important... I liked that answer.. AND--that is OH SO TRUE about our media!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well....trust me, I couldn't find him at first just after I got back home and uploaded the images from the camera card to the computer. LOL

      Delete
  4. LOL! I didn't even know there was a new Bond movie out! LOVE that your potato salad was such a hit! I'm gonna put bacon bits in mine in future - sounds like a tasty addition! Thanksgiving already? We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here obviously, but will be thinking about you all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to go on a hunger strike 'til Thanksgiving.....NOT!!

      Delete
  5. I found him! I could see his body first but had to work on his head thinking he was looking away from me. :)
    What a great shot! Loved it Anni!

    My kids loved Where's Waldo. My grandkids will find a Look and Find Charlie Brown waiting on them when they visit for Thanksgiving next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Carletta....you're the first to find him. Congrats. You have a sharp eye.
      Oh I bet that book is fun.

      Delete
  6. I remember Where's Waldo. I don't remember anything about that book that would be worth banning. It used to be fun trying to find him.
    I had to cheat on your picture, I couldn't find the bird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...from what I've read, one of the sun bathers is topless. [but, also from what I gather, she's face down...oh gimme a break!!!]

      Delete
  7. I needed help to find that heron. Cool picture and yes - I remember the Waldo books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waldo Books were popular long ago.

      Delete
  8. We had a fvaourite book at house called "Mr Pine's Purple House". We found a copy and it is now a fvaourite of our grandchildren. Hubby hates it however he got a lot of pleasure when our oldest granddaughter read it to us. She sounded exactly like me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you reminded me of a tree we used to sit In on my Grandpparents farm- we sat up there for hours! Do kids still climb trees?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...maybe climbing a tree to capture some demon in a video game?!! LOL

      Delete
  10. Your tree answer had me remember a tree at the back of my Grandmother's property. I don't know what kind of tree it was, but the trunk slit in two low, and then both sides flattened out...we kids would climb it easily, and the boys cousins would sit on one side and the girls on the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giggles here....amazing how girls and boys are so opposite even on the tree branches.

      Delete
  11. Yes, they still make Waldo books, my youngest loves them! In fact, thanks for the reminder, I'll go get him a new one for Christmas! :-) Can't believe that, with all the crap out there, they would actually ban Waldo books. I mean, seriously? People can sure get their feathers ruffled over some pretty ridiculous things sometimes. What a waste of energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I so agree with you....it's like 'get a life people'!!!!

      Delete
  12. Love your recipe answer - tee hee!

    We still have 'Where's Wally' (he's Waldo's identical british twin).

    And I totally recommend taking some time to go see Skyfall - it really is the best Bond film yet. And TOTALLY with you on the Daniel Craig thing. Classy, rugged, middle aged and British is what Bond should be. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, Craig...a class act and perfect for the BOND character.

      Delete
  13. I had to cheat and click to find that guy! I've been coming over and reading, Anni, even if I don't always comment, just to let you know I'm still HERE! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad to know you're okay. I was wondering about you.

      Delete
  14. wow...that heron really blends in with the landscape!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A very nice set of Hodgepodge answers. I love that picture on the top. I stared at it for five minutes. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...but, did you find the bird?

      Delete
  16. I didn't think about a species of tree vs a specific tree for #7. I went with a specific tree ... but it would be my favorite species as well. I just love live oaks ... probably because they remind me of the south, where it's warm and there's usually a beach nearby (at least there is in the parts of the south where we've seen lots of live oaks - ha!).

    I had to "cheat" to see the bird. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, at least you know where the bird was now. :o)

      Delete
  17. Yay! I found the little booger :) Herons always seem to be so shutter shy!

    I will never understand the point of so called Reality shows, there is nothing real about them! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...and of course, as you know, I agree.

      Delete
  18. No, I can't believe that Thanksgiving is next week! Guess I should start planning my menu, huh? You're not a fan of Sean Connery? I think he's the one and only Agent 0-0-7!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...nope, never cared much for him except he was good in Entrapment. And as Indiana Jones father.

      Delete
  19. Isn't it amazing how gullible people are. I am not a fan of Bond movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not either much. But, I will sit and watch them with hubby.

      Delete
  20. Now I really want the recipe for that potato salad. Bacon and black olives make almost everything taste better! : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed reading your hodgepodge today. I had a favorite tree and treehouse when living in Il we would all meet at neighbors Cherry tree and had a feast.
    I remember the boys had that book and enjoyed it also.
    I have to admit that I had to click help to find the bird.It was fun trying however.
    Thanks
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhhhhh, cherries...right off the tree. Yum.

      Delete
  22. Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed it Denise.

      Delete
  23. Your Picnic Mount sounds so sweet, you should drive by someday and see if the tree is still there!
    I can't believe it is Thanksgiving already either, where did the year go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed to click to find the bird - even I tried to search for it for a long time - very clever! I find also that media has a lot of power - by giving news time to some specific themes they indirectly focus on some things more than others - it's good to have a bit of a critical mind, not just "eating without proper digesting". I do like Graig as Bond - he's got both the cool & action typed, a bit raw, not too "polished" masculinity - the last film showed a bit of the sensitivity as well.
      I like a lot your questions in the end of this post!

      Delete
    2. Capri....I can't...I live in Texas and the farm was in Nebraska.

      Delete
    3. Nina: Well, it wasn't easy to find that bird...that I know.

      Delete
  24. I'd take a spoon of your potato salad, that sounds good.
    I like your answer to #5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd not mind making you a batch of my p. salad!!

      Delete
  25. Replies
    1. ...congrats. He's not easy to spot.

      Delete
  26. Well, I thought I spotted him on a lower branch, but no. Just this afternoon I was trying to capture some blue jays and cardinals but they couldn't wait for me to focus. Favorite recipe--vegetable soup made from the end of the garden "stuff". Media--throughout the election leadup I looked for a news analyst who was at least--to the naked ear--unbiased. Most likely Bob Sheiffer, CBS. What people think of me--don't like to be described as either "bubbley" or "pleasant". Although, I'm 67 today so "bubbley" is probably a thing of the past. . .:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well then, happy birthday Faye

      Delete
  27. Replies
    1. ...me too {btw...I can't find your blog through the link}

      Delete
  28. I love lighthouses. And isn't that just the way of it. You pass by something and every time you say, next time we'll stop. Hope you do get to visit it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do too. Tho the lighthouses of Texas [the ones still around] do not compare to those on the east coast.

      Delete
  29. I really had to search for that bird...and then still needed help! But, there he was! Love, love, love that one! Thanks for joining in this week...you never need to be wordless for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'kay....'cause you know me, I can't keep quiet. LOL

      Delete
  30. He was hidden pretty well, if you ask me! I've never been a fan of James Bond movies, but I do like Daniel Craig in the role. I prefer Sean Connery older, like in "The Hunt for Red October."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...some from the generation just before ours, have told me Bud [my husband] looks like Sean Connery. Of course you didn't even ask. LOL I thought secretly you wanted to know. ;o)

      Delete
  31. "Insipid reality shows." I completely agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that makes two of us then. :o)

      Delete
  32. Wow just found your blog via Joyce and it is amazing. I loved your posts and photos. I will definitely be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you stopped by and hope you'll return again and again.

      Delete
  33. I can't believe that Thanksgiving is so close. Where does the time go? My kids are looking forward to being here and eating the foods we generally only prepare at holiday time. (Pumpkin Pie, Peanut Butter Pie, Dressing, Green Bean Casserole, and Sweet Potato Casserole are a few of their favorites)
    What special memories the tree house must be. A friend I grew up with had one in her back yard and all the neighborhood kids loved to gather and play in the tree house.
    My husband is a news junkie and drives me nuts at times with those news shows. I usually try to tune them out by either doing chores in other rooms or getting lost in my computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  34. I am just scrambling around here. I have three Thanksgiving dinners to go to in a weeks worth of time. I think I am going to eat a hamburger on Christmas! I enjoyed your Hodgepodge answers. Especially your memory about the tree house at your Grandma's. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was "my" place. With 4 older siblings, I cherished it.

      Delete
  35. Wow, you sure did find him... that was impossible to see.

    I never did read Where's Waldo. We read Good Night Moon, over and over and over and...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of Good Night Moon.

      Delete

.