my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Plants, No birds, Paint and a Deer Butt.....


TAKE NOTE: The constellation...Orion...will have a meteor display this Saturday evening & Sunday morning!!! Supposed to be spectacular. I'm thinking this is a sure sign we'll have an overcast, cloudy sky then. 99% of the time this happens.


This past week I mentioned that one of my potted Epiphyllum plants was going to bloom again for the 2nd time this season [they usually bloom once a year] !! I have two that are in planters outdoors, but so far only one has bloomed. They both look healthy, yet, it's my understanding that they prefer to be root-bound. And the 2nd one is much smaller and of a different species. Hopefully someday it too will bloom. They need to be brought indoors when temperatures head below the 50 degree mark. They HAVE been PAMPERED. I acquired them both through bidding on cuttings through e-bay from a friend of a friend of mine who lives close by in San Antonio...I saw them in her yard a few years ago and she told me to check her e-bay occasionally as she sells cuttings when hers needed to be 'cleaned out'. Anyway, I finally got the photos that I took around 2 a.m. --dark o'thirty-- off the camera and resized. Some of them showed some well-formed shadows so I thought I'd share them today with the Shadow Sunday meme-ers. Ready? There are quite a few photos. Here goes:



According to the history of the plant [of the cactus family], the first record of these plants was in 1753. Read more




CONNECTING TO:






SUNDAY'S SUMMARY



For those that visited with me this Wednesday and read my Hodgepodge "random thought", I posted that this past week I've been a bit busy with a household project that has kept me away from much blogging. It is something that for the past year or more I've been meaning to do but never really quite got into the notion much. Why? 'Cause it entails a lot of lifting, a lot of work that is very time consuming. The 3rd bedroom that we converted into use as an office slash library for Bud's book collection, was painted a chocolate brown on the walls. Altho, I really liked the color....do you know how difficult it is to find already made curtains that are brown...even a little brown? Well, I'll tell you---it's not easy finding the right color to match very well. Throughout the many months as I sat by the computer having the desktop situated just below the one window that has southern exposure to the sunlight....well, the curtains from the beginning didn't perfectly match the chocolate brown walls and made the room [even when the venetian blinds were open] way too dark. I was constantly turning on the ceiling light and the desk lamp to 'brighten the room' some. The other day I asked Bud what he wanted to do today...he said, "Let's just stay home today"...soon afterward it started raining, so I let him sit home while I went shopping for paint and some sheer curtains. I had in mind to re-use the chocolate brown curtains...but to have the sheer curtains behind the brown to let in light. And make the walls much lighter. Which meant giving it two coats of paint to cover the dark brown walls. When I got home with all my supplies and goodies, Bud knew he was in for some work. As he took down the books of his, I started painting. Yippee....

It took the two of us four days to complete. One day tearing down the books...two days painting...and one day replacing the books in order of subject.

BEFORE [two shades of brown - it didn't settle good with me from the beginning]:



DURING: [a total mess! - books in hallway, computer room, dining room and extra bedroom]



AFTER: [Finally some more light and even with the brown 'accent's it's much brighter]







After this project was done, we then took the day off to drive about an hour over North Corpus Christi Bay and then over Capano Bay that is north-east of Rockport, Texas - for a nice drive through one of Texas's state parks - Goose Island State Park. All in hopes of seeing some birds that perhaps stopped off from the migration route. We spent about 3 hours there, seeing only ONE bird the entire time...and a mocking bird at that!!! At one point, through the park's entrance gate to the water, we pulled off the winding road to walk the nature path...some beautiful oak covered scenes, no birds. At one turn we found ourselves head to head with a very handsome 6 point buck!! [a deer]...by the time I got my camera up to my eye level he had turned away from me...I got a photo of his cute white-tailed butt!!! He quickly disappeared in the woods. Eventually, on the road back to the car, as we walked, Bud spotted the doe crossing over the asphalt into the trees, never to be spotted again...perhaps a 2nd doe was spotted as we drove out of the state-run part of the park. After our disappointing , no bird sighting, trek along the trail we hopped back in the car, and drove around the entire mapped area to go and stop by the 'oldest, living' oak tree in the entire state of Texas. I took a lot of photos and some photos of the signage near the tree to make an entire blog post about only the tree itself someday soon. The following day we stayed closer to our own area and went out birding again, with much better luck. Spoonbills, ducks, pelicans [both white and brown] comorants, herons, egrets, stilts, curlews, black skmmiers, ibis, an osprey, and more!! Sometimes is pays to stick around home. :o)






48 comments :

  1. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for stopping by Denise.

      Delete
  2. I wondered where you were. You did a great job. Love the white cactus family flower. I;ll look for the meteor shower! Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, extremely busy I was.

      Delete
  3. You have been a busy lady!! The room looks great! I love the browns......
    I am going to try to fit in some 'Field Trips' for us now that we are settled down here. Thinking about going to Surfside and visit the Bird park they have there.

    Yourblog is so interesting and INFORMATIVE!! Love that Bird ID link.....heading there now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too liked the brown until I got it up on the wall...too dark.

      Delete
  4. I came here strictly to see the deer butt! :)

    Delicate Shadows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...so, whatd'ya think? Cute, eh? LOL

      Delete
  5. The flowers are really pretty and the room looks great! And it's not too often that you get to see a deer butt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....LOL...it was a whole 'nother kind of shooting I did. The good kind. Glad you like the finished room...I think I'm gonna like it now that there is natural light in here again.

      Delete
  6. The Epiphyllum looks so delicate that it has to be pampered to thrive. The love of a gardener is what makes this beautiful species thrive (and I hope that deer do not have this lovely flora on its menu)...nice reworking of the room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thankfully the deer is too far away to find our yard. I'm glad you liked my 'new' room Ralph.

      Delete
  7. You green thumb, you! How beautiful.
    Cheers from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....awwww, not really, but thanks. Cactus can pretty well survive most anything. Except for cold.

      Delete
  8. I like the improvements you made in the room by painting and adding new curtains. Dark brown walls sounds more like a cave and now it will be easier to see when in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya....now that you mention it, it was cave like. Only with the books, the room was 'stuffy' too.

      Delete
  9. OH MY CATS OH MY DOGS...Anni after seeing all the work involved in painting the office/library....mom and I give your our permission to sit on your tush for the remainder of this year!!! We cannot imagine moving all of those books; however, I can imagaine that Tahoe and Winnie were a ton of help. MOL
    hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was a four letter word actually...W O R K

      Delete
  10. Great shadow shots, beautiful flowers and a great deer butt for the weekend, Anni! And I hope you're having a good one -- weekend, that is!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Sylvia. And same sentiment to you also.

      Delete
  11. You had me at deer butt! I love to spy a deer and to see their white flags raise up when they decide to run away. Gorgeous flowers and beautiful walls you worked so hard on. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  12. Good job on the repainting...room looks much better. I did not know you could buy plant cuttings on ebay, learn something new every day! Great of the deer butt by the...worth framing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL on the framing of the deer rear. Thanks for the compliment. I like it a heckuva lot better.

      Delete
  13. oh wow, that bloom is gorgeous.
    The room looks great after all your hard work. I need to do some painting but I just haven't had the ambition to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it only lasts the one night and into the wee hours of the morning. Wish the blossom would last longer. Thanks for leaving me positive feedback on the room too, Ann.

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the note on the constellation, di not know it. Will look forward to it maybe tomorrow morning.

    My Shadow Shots
    Have an enjoyable weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...we got up early, and saw nothing.

      Delete
  15. Beautiful cactus blooms!
    I have buds on mine - should bloom in a few days.
    Have a blessed day!
    Lea
    Lea's menagerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hope you take pictures of it in bloom!!!

      Delete
  16. So love the bold display of the cactus flower! It is a stunner! Chuckled when I read about your painting and decorating expedition! It sounded like a trek into the wilderness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of hours involved...I dislike having to do it, but it needed done. Too many books. LOL

      Delete
  17. Very nice room! I think you have done a great deal towards making it perfect. BTW, I love that lamp with the pretty dangly things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the lamp shade has been around a long time. Thanks. And thanks for the compliments.

      Delete
  18. you are one busy girl. room looks great. love the deer on the rd. have a great week anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...after that project, I'm gonna sit on my sweet hiney and relax this week. :o)

      Delete
  19. My - your "new" room looks amazing! Really nice and I do love your witch holding the pumpkin! Know what they say about witches? If you have one in your kitchen, your cupboards will never be bare! :) That cactus flower is beautiful - never seen anything quite like that!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the new look to your room ... I always love the feeling of productivity after painting a room. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful flower captures and great paint job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, what a flower. That is amazing... I wish I could grow flowers, I managed to kill my aloe plant, so I think fake is more my style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only two houseplants that have not died. I won't tell you how many I've killed. LOL

      Delete
  23. Your Epiphyllum flower is just gorgeous! I had never heard of it before, I guess because we most probably can't grow them over here! lol

    Oh yes, your office/library looks much brighter with the lighter paint! What a difference it makes. A lot of work but so worth it in the end:-) I need to paint the master bedroom one day soon, it's been a baby blue colour for years..I would like to see a total change in there.

    It's a good thing that deer have cute butts! lol I can well imagine your surprise when you turned the corner to see a buck! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete

.