my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes


NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



Silent Beauty...


CONNECTING TO:




_ _ _ _



HODGEPODGE
Joyce has these questions for us....


1. So, do you like beer? I like it....not supposed to drink it and mix it with my heart meds...but do drink it occasionally. I LIKE mine COLD and ICY!! And it must be Coors [afterall, growing up near the Coors Brewery...I hafta like that brand, right?]

2. What's your least favorite repetitive task? Can I say all the above? Anything repetitive gets to become a least favorite, very quickly. But if I must choose one...it'd be sweeping the kitchen floor. Or maybe it would be laundry...no, perhaps, vacuuming? What about cooking? I know a simple answer to this, and it'd be singular and actually be 'all of the above'----------housework!!!!

3. When was the last time you rode a bus? Where was it headed? I can't recall ever being on a commercial bus...so it'd either have to be a school bus [long ago] or a shuttle bus from a hotel to an airport.

4. What song from your childhood or from your own children's childhood could make a parent's nerves stand on end? I'm thinking that maybe you mean a children's song? Or just from their growing up years? If it's the latter...I can pin point it down to ONE song [and I still despise it!!] ---Shake, shake shake your bootie!!! KC & the Sunshine band!! Gawd awful.

5. The US Presidential election cycle is drawing to a close (can I get an AMEN??), and the third and final debate was held last night...what was the last thing you 'debated about'? I'm glad I did not have to watch them...Altho, I found myself checking out the 'details and clips' online the day after. And these days, a debate, for the two of us, is very trivial...like what we had for dinner last Saturday night...or if we actually saw this program or another....you get the drift...mundane lifestyle here!!

6. Can a person make too much money? How much is too much? Depends...if the money is accumulated in all honest to goodness work...then no...the more money they make, the more power to them. But if it's making the money through fraudulent means....lock 'em up and throw away the key. How much is too much? Can't answer that 'cause I will never know.

7. Pop-soda-coke-something else...what's it called where you live? That's funny. Let me explain. When at the grocery store recently, I never take out the 12 packs of the boxed items and lay them on the conveyor belt at the check out. I just tell the cashier how many boxes I have. Well, the other day I told the cashier I had two 12 packs of pop. She looked at me and she said "You're not from around here are you?" I smiled and said "Soda". It's called soda here in the south. In Colorado...it is "pop". You can teach an old dog new tricks, but I'm not a dog...it'll always be pop.

8. Insert your own random thought here. The October issue of HEB's [local TEXAS grocery store] has some great ideas in the October issue of their monthly magazine...from pumpkin brownies, to pumpkin chili --- along with some great Halloween party snacks [both children's and adults]. For instance - Halloween Candy bark [chocolate]. See sidebar link and then view the magazine, page by page ---you need flash enabled.

Seldom do we have trees that change color....most in the area are evergreen ... OR they drop the leaves in a cold snap before they get a chance to lose the green, only for a few weeks, then back to new leaves in late winter, early spring. But about 1 out of 10,000 -guesstimation- trees in the area will actually turn autumn colors! I found one [LOL] as we were at a Nature Reserve walking the trail recently. TA DA--


My 4th week of Halloween Treats - is general this time 'round...More Autumn than Halloween. [click and save] The previous weeks' tricks or treats can be found on my blog's sidebar!!






CONNECTING TO:

82 comments :

  1. I enjoyed catching up with you. I have missed you so much. Our trees really did not have pretty colors this yr either. It sure made the fall a blah one without all the changing colors.
    I hope to stay.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....Nebr. if I remember my childhood days can be so fickle when it comes to weather. But this year, it's been odd all over the country. I now see a 'perfect storm' brewing out in the atlantic that you'd think the water is too cold for hurricanes. Guess not.

      Delete
  2. Love your picture, it's so pretty! I'm glad the debates are done and will be happy to have the election done too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never liked this part of election years. It's all you hear, read, and see...even those political signs in yards and along the highways and streets....they're annoying. LOL

      Delete
  3. Wow, the picture of the egrets, well I would say they looked like angels! :)
    /Pia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that's a nice reference to their appearance. Never thought that way, but I do now.

      Delete
  4. Fun post!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River. Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the egrets! Lovely fall images! Anni, great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't imagine an autumn (fall) without colour changes - enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's okay, considering that with very little Autumn, there is NO winter snows either. THAT is what appeals to me.

      Delete
  7. I like your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the first photo - and I don't like beer - cold or not. I guess you have to acquire a taste for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, it's acquired, but remember I have some Irish in me....and you know what that means, right? We like our beer. LOL

      Delete
  9. I love your picture and I hate the taste of beer...lol I can't even stand the smell of it.
    Around here in Northwestern Pennsylvania we drink pop or at least I do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's odd isn't it to think of all the different words for the one item?

      Delete
  10. the egrets and autumn foliage both beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  11. Egrets are always fun to watch and photograph and the colored leaves in the last photo are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there - nice shot of the egret. I take it you or glad you only have two weeks of the election campaign to go! Modern politics is not really a pretty thing to watch!

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Cheers" to you too Stewart, and thanks for hosting.

      Delete
  13. i'll also be glad when your elections are over, hubby's totally engrossed in the run-up *grin* and i must say, your birdie pictures are very welcome, beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dread the insanity before it even begins, let me tell you. :o)

      Delete
  14. The birds were wonderfully captured :)

    http://www.1sthappyfamily.com/2012/10/a-water-feature-and-mascot.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. The bird on the wing is so beautiful and the other one almost seems to be quietly watching! Lovely photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we were walking the trail, I didn't even notice the one taking to flight...they were both so quiet and still.

      Delete
  16. I did not watch the last debate I know already who I am going to vote hehe.

    Visiting from Water World Wednesday
    Kim,USA

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good fun, and hey I get on the bus all the time for free as a SS, and I drink lots of red wine it's good for the heart and makes you smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...why, even you comment seems to be filled with smiles!!!

      Delete
  18. Hi Anni
    As always beautiful pictures and great hodgepodge questions.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another beautiful picture! I hate to admit this, but I like that song by KC and the Sunshine Band...brings warm memories back of my high school days. Sorry 'bout that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...my daughter liked the group also, that's why I got a bit on edge...she was always playing it. LOL

      Delete
  20. Can I just say that I love your blog name? It's wonderful! :D As for #2, I am in total agreement! And #4, that song will come into my mind at the oddest moments and drive me batty. Can't stand it. Great list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...glad you like my blog title, and happy that you stopped by to introduce yourself Kara.

      Delete
  21. the egret is my very most favorite!! but i think i say that about anything with wings ;)))

    two beautiful images!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. you always make me smile ... who is Joyce ... does she provide the questions ... or did i make that up?

    i love how every one calls them differently sodas, pops, colas ... make me smile. i usually say "SODA" but whatever of them works for me. i've been off them for 7 days ... no sodas for me ... 7 whole days. wow... i've done it before ... i can do it again. helps keep the lbs. off. fingers crossed.

    no kidding about the political stuff... i'm ready for it to be over. NOW!!

    to much money ... there is no such thing... money rules the world, without it you are at a loss. ha. ha!!

    have a great day!! big hugs. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Joyce is the one who hosts the Hodgepodge meme...the link is found at the end of my answers.

      Delete
  23. Lovely bird photo, as usual. You do find some great birds to photograph.
    We have watched every debate and then watched all the whoopla afterwards. My hubby is a news junkie, so he always wants to watch it all, or turn it on and fall asleep. He did this the other night during the last debate and woke up as they were starting their closing statements. He started to change the channel, I said, "seriously I have sat through this whole debate and you are going to change it during the closing statements?" We finished watching it and then he proceeded to watch the whoopla afterwards. Men...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only watched bits and pieces of the debates online. I don't think I could or would WANT to watch them in their entirety. 99% lies...when anyone who votes in this country should know it's MORE important to vote for those running in/for CONGRESS

      Delete
  24. Beautiful photo - the one in flight does look like an angel, I must agree! I'm not a beer fan - find it too bitter, but I don't mind it mixed with lemonade in Shandy form! My favourite childhood song was NODDY - I still remember the words, after all this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...ewww...I've never had it with lemonade, don't think I'd like it that way...just icy cold please, straight from the tap.

      Delete
  25. Beautiful birds! I have yet to learn to take a good flight shot -- lots of pictures of blue sky where an egret used to be! Yours is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...LOL....should I confess? Okay I will....I have had TONS of just blue sky too.

      Delete
  26. We have been experiencing a truly spectacular autumn...one of the prettiest I can recall. I keep taking pictures of the same trees, but they change a little every day. I'm not ready for winter....I hope fall doesn't hurry off. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I love the colors but they're very hard to find around here.

      Delete
  27. Great picture. Housework is too repetitive for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, I'd rather be outdoors. LOL

      Delete
  28. Your header is still a hoot. I can always count on you for a giggle! The birds are delightful.
    Cheers from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Apt title for this post, Anni. And how fortunate--or patient--you were to catch the inflight action.

    Funny, before reading your hodgepodge I was wondering if you were following the presidential campaigns this time around. Remember that in '08 you had high hopes for your candidate. I still do. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....I'm always 'into' politics on my own time, but with TV adds and all the other political campaigning signs you see in people's yards and on billboards, and along highways...I get real tired of it, real fast. Tho, I continue to follow the process. Gotta know what's going on. LOL

      Delete
  30. I love your new header and the fall photo you've taken! Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you kindly dear one.

      Delete
  31. Great shot of the egret in flight. Lovely fall color, too.

    ReplyDelete

  32. mangroves are great places to take photos of wildlife.
    i enjoy reading the Hodgepodge.:p
    we call soda "soft drinks"...but when i'm with a foreigner, i always refer to it as soda, or Coke or Pepsi.:p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'soft drink'....that's a good general term to use.

      Delete
  33. Agree on that point #2
    singular work----------housework
    I know how it can be.... so I help wifey where ever possible :-)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...good for you dear!!! A household helper is always a welcome part of the day. You should be proud.

      Delete
  34. I love your answer to #2 ... true, so true!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Alas, I'll never know what it's like to make too much money either. I just want to make "enough." :)

    All those pumpkin recipes look so good! I want to try the pumpkin ziti, but It's also getting my creative cooking brain going. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, those pumpkin recipes look mighty good to me.

      Delete
  36. I love how you captured that egret in flight, so breathtaking.

    I make a terrible Canadian because Canadians are supposed to like beer...and I don't! lol Tasted it once many years ago and thought it was disgusting! lol

    Like you, it's been a mighty long time since I've been on a bus! I think the last time was when Shawn was just a few months old so that would be over 34 years ago!!

    I've never watched the Presidential debates but hear about them and honestly, I think these elections have brought some people over the edge...I've never seen so much hate filled words written in blogs and Facebook as I've seen this year, it's quite disturbing.

    We always call it "pop" over here, if anyone said "soda" we'd look at them funny! lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, heck, we can't ALL like beer.

      Delete
  37. This is a great blog love the header pic

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for joining in this week - I have really missed everyone! Just can't seem to get it together - have had some rough weeks. Hoping to be back online and going strong after the 15th of November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...just hope it's nothing to do with ill health

      Delete
  39. testing to see if this comment form works properly -- in I E and Firefox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. testing to see if I can reply

      Delete
  40. Love how graceful the large birds are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you like the photos Carly.

      Delete

.