“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Birds & words? [mouseover captioned]---












CONNECTING TO:




_ _ _


HODGEPODGE
Joyce has these questions for us to answer this week:


1. Noah Webster was born this week back in 1758....besides the online version, do you own a dictionary? Do you ever use the hardback copy or is your hunt for a definition strictly online these days? We do have a hard copy of a dictionary....only used when we are playing the board game for spelling not for definition, Scrabble.

2. Should public schools ban Halloween celebrations? What about other holiday celebrations currently under fire? Oh my goodness...for decades schools have celebrated Halloween!!! I survived, while my kids survived celebrating holidays...why not now? This world is getting odder by the day!!

3. What's your favorite 'dog' movie? I loved the book....AND the movie..."The Incredible Journey" -The story of three pets, a cat and two dogs, who lose their owners when they are all on vacation. Can they find their way home?. Also, both book AND movie...Cujo [Stephen King story...that explains the serious creepy, scary stuff I like so much at times]

4. When were you last somewhere you'd describe as 'too quiet'? Nowhere. I LOVE quiet. I especially like to go outdoors early - just before sunrise as the sky is lightening....and enjoy the peace and quiet of the day.

5. Are you a neat cook or a messy cook? In other words do you clean as you go or make a big mess and then deal with it later? These days, I'm most always a neat cook --with just two of us, a meal is simple 99% of the time; very simple. Except for Thanksgiving....I think I dirty every dish in the house for that meal. And Bud is the one that cleans up after my cooking. That's HIS duty. If I cook, he cleans....if he BBQs outdoors, I clean up.

6. Did you hear about Felix Baumgartner, the skydiver who broke the sound barrier via parachute? Was your first thought COOL! or was your first thought CRAZY! Are you adventurous? I'm not much of an adventurous one, but I do take risks now and then. My biggest adventure is my life with Bud. There is always something going on...never bored...but it's not a physical adventure comparing to skydiving, etc. As for Felix...more power to him. I can't say 'cool' or 'crazy' ---it was HIS choice.

7. What's not a word but should be? Are you serious?----a word that isn't a word but should be? Oh boy...let's think on that a bit.  How 'bout DROW....opposite of 'word'...nope can't use that one ----I used google just now and drow IS a word [pronounced with ow as in 'now']...meaning a race of elves.  Well, at least I learned a new word all thanks to our fearless leader who asked the question in the first place.  All in all...in other words....can't think of any and can't wait to read other bloggers' answers on this #7. Wait?!!!---is co-inkydink a word?!! I love using that by the way...or is it just a coinkydink to think of it right now.

8. Insert your own random thought here. I'm terribly busy this week with an 'in home' project. Will update you on Sunday for my Sunday's Summary. In the meantime....check out and grab week 3 halloween treat - the newest 'treat' for Halloween I'm handing out---



[click and save if you'd like]






CONNECTING TO:




66 comments :

  1. Great WBW post! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still chuckling about the bird observation deck! The bird does look as if he is playing "I spy" up there! And love the view of the brown pelican seeming to be "master of the ropes"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...lol That was my first thought when we spotted the heron on the deck.

      Delete
  3. Wunderschön liebe Anni, wenn ich wieder mehr Zeit habe, dann zeige ich auch wieder Vögel.

    LG Mathilda ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...no 'set time' for bird photos. Anytime is okay. I know you're a busy lady.

      Delete
  4. A great series of birds - especially the first one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that one particular pelican was really showing off its stuff for me. LOL

      Delete
  5. Great birds, Anni! The Pelican is one of my favorites. My latest favorite dog movie was Marley and Me! I had a yellow lab just like Marley, she almost got kicked out of obedience school. She was a wild thang!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Wild Thang"....reminds me of a song...."you make my heart sing".

      Delete
  6. Great bird pics! Looks like a nice deck for bird watching too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, from a distance the birding towers all look good...'til you come up on them at closer view...covered with caca, doo doo, poop....whatever you want to to call it. LOL Unless you're lucky enough to be there utilizing them after a torrential rainstorm. ;o)

      Delete
  7. I love the birds. I agree with you on schools celebrating Halloween and other holidays. That was one of the things we looked forward to. Why can't they just let kids be kids and have some fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...exactly. Well said. Let kids be kids. Heck they grow up all too quickly anyhow, let them enjoy a little treat and socializing in the classroom once in a while.

      Delete
  8. Oh Anni, terrific shots, I really like the egret and reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, of COURSE I heard about Felix, I even watched it happen live, and my palms were sweating. I love the "mirror mirror" picture, Anni. You're the best! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and when I read about him, guess who I thought of right away? You wonder?!!! [insert wink]

      Delete
  10. I like your shots too and the subjects and the weather looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, most of my bird photos are from weeks ago. I rarely post a most recent outing, it takes me too long to get 'em off the camera. LOL

      Delete
  11. Love the bird photos. You find the most interesting birds and always capture such great shots of them. I especially like the observation tower shot, so funny.
    Enjoyed reading your answers to all the questions. My Mother was a big Stephen King fan so we always watched any movie that was made from one of his books. She loved to read and his books were her favorites. She had a complete collection of his books when she died.
    You and Bud are quite often involved in some kind of project. Each one that I have seen photos of have been great. I look forward to reading about the current one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read two of King's novels..."It" and "Cujo".

      Delete
  12. Hi there - nice set of pictures - I like the reflection and watch tower shots!

    I can only assume that the people who want to ban halloween were the same people who wanted to ban Harry Potter! Crazy stuff!

    Thanks for linking to WBW

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for hosting Stewart.

      Delete
  13. Super nice images, and wow you got so close to the beautiful Cormorant~

    ReplyDelete
  14. The world *is* getting odder!! Just wish people would stop being so serious about everything!

    ReplyDelete
  15. such gorgeous birds.

    i find it tough when it comes to holiday celebrations in school. i understand why some don't wish to celebrate ...but then i always enjoyed celebrating different holidays in school & even now. it's so tough. nuts!! i wonder what will happen??!

    i'm thankful for the internet ... when i need spelling help that is where i go. but if i am near my desk i use my dictionary always. i'm not the best speller but i work on it daily. ha. ha! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...we have only the smartphones and the desktop computer privileges here ... so, a hard copy must accompany us at the table [the smartphone is too slow...lol] when playing scrabble.

      Delete
  16. Drow - a race of elves? Who knew?? : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, it's true. Who'da thunk it?

      Delete
  17. I remember The Incredible Journey well! I've also watched the remake - Homeward Bound.

    I know I sound like a broken record but your bird pics are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen Homeward Bound...maybe I should see if I can find it in the Walmart $5 bins? I'll keep in in mind.

      Oh, and your pie creation today? Stupendous!!!!

      Delete
  18. I always enjoy seeing your pictures each week! I love your response to #2...I'm in complete agreement. However, I do often feel it's best to do what's necessary to avoid confrontation. You just never know with folks these days. Drow...a new one on me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. There are so many great dog movies. It took my Benny pup to turn me into a dog lover, but I've always enjoyed a good dog movie. Beautiful bird pictures! I like the word coinkydink, too! Have a great day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Benny....he's so darned cute.

      Delete
  20. Hi Anni
    Madi and I love your bird pictures...well Madi loves them maybe more than she should. Hugs C and Madi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you shoulda blind-folded her....this kinda photo could give her a heart attack!!!

      Delete
  21. I smile ont he second photo.

    Visiting from Water World Wednesday
    Kim,USA

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful birds! Thanks for sharing with us and Happy Outdoor Wednesday.
    Blessings.
    ~Holly

    ReplyDelete
  23. I enjoyed this post very much. Thanks Anni and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My friend has a picture of two Moose similar to your bird shot. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the last picture! It's a real bird tower! :)
    /Pia

    ReplyDelete
  26. Must say, I'm a tidy cook! Wash up as I go along - don't like an untidy kitchen! :) Your bird pictures are lovely Anni - I wish I had an eye with the camera! I guess I should do some more practising!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can always count on beautiful bird photos here : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Joyce....double time.

      Delete
  28. Neat stuff! Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nick? Long time no see. Hope you're doing well.

      Delete
  29. That pelican looks huge! Nice shots, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...there are some pretty BIG ones around here.

      Delete
  30. Thanks for joining this week. We are traveling, so getting online is a challenge...I have been so busy! I appreciate your faithfulness. Hopefully next week I will be back on for the few days we are home! Love the birds this week - I miss all of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and thank YOU for always having an outlet for us to link up Linda. Enjoy your travels.

      Delete

.