my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




There's highs....and then there's lows --

1]  On a high note:   This past weekend, my birding blog, I'd Rather B Birdin, was highlighted online at the site, Animals Blog.org!! Wow. That made my day. This below, is a screen shot---

click here to read about other animal blogs listed



2] On a low note:   This most recent shooting is a bit too close to 'home'. It happened near the campus of Texas A&M in College Station ---my son, Erik, is a college professor. Of course, I know that these outbreaks ending in tragedy can happen ANYwhere, it's just scary for me knowing how close it all is to family. ARTICLE in full.
    3] OPINION: Another thing, reports and doctors and family members of those who have done the shooting tell us through the media, that, ---"they're ill". What the heck does that mean? Unstable? On meds? Insane? What? I also know that by working at a psychiatric co-op for the mental disorders and stuff like marriage counseling, addictions, etc. etc., before I retired when Bud retired, that mind altering meds can so change the brain that they can easily go ballistic....maybe before the dosage can be manicured to the certain individual, as an individual....but please....don't just tell me 'they're ill'. And as for medicating them, that is NOT ALWAYS a cure all. So, then, my question is: Should these people be allowed to be loose in society? When they pose a danger and threat to the innocent bystanders? Look what happened in Tucson with Giffords....the 'man'iac collected weapons, found in his home...parents knew this....yet, he did what he did, and then, pleaded guilty for a lesser sentence of life in prison instead of the death penalty? I see it this way, maybe [no, I know] some view that the death penalty is inhumane, but think of those who have to live with a loss of a family member [both victims and families of the 'guilty'] ----I personally think that handing out a death sentence, then,  some of these 'future' crimes will not occur - some knowing that they'll get the electric chair or lethal injection... instead of living in prison for life where they don't have to 'work, pay tax, get free meals, medical, gyms, all the amenities' ---not necessarily 'easy street'...but we pay for their survival for sometimes many many years. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. With so many killed, the victim has had life taken; a right to live ---so be it, the guilty should also suffer the consequences, death. Sure, this one tragic incident in College Station this week, the shooter was killed....but how many more 'psychos' are out there, lurking, waiting?!!!!
4]  On a high note: after posting about my indulging of fatty, fried foods, and Five Guys' burgers and french fries on Wednesday Hodgepodge, I talked Bud into going there for lunch.  BUT!!!  You know there's always a but with me, by now, don't you?  Their fries are cooked in Peanut Oil.  With all the pros on this cooking oil, the lowering of the bad cholesterol and raising the high cholesterol blood count,  it's totally organic, has very good lipid profile, high in vitamin E and more.  One 'con' is it's reported to 'cling to your arteries' causing plaque.  Weighing the many pros....with the one con, I will continue to divulge every-so-often.

5] On a low note:  Corpus Christi and other immediate areas/towns near-by, have been under extreme fire alerts for the past few days.  High winds, 100 degree temps and still drought ---

6]   On a high note:  Bought a small amount of crafting items.  Can't wait to get started.  In fact, as soon as I returned home, I opened them and started testing the waters...seeing if they're the correct size, and how it'll all come together as the project begins...and ends.  I'll just say, it's whimsical, and hopefully a bit challenging and yet fun.  I may need to go searching for the spy glass that's stored in some junk drawer around here tho, to get this a-goin' so I will be able to see what I'm doing.  LOL  [Seeing something while searching, on E-bay (which by the way, is getting quite costly these days), the seller had them listed...selling them "Buy Now" for way too much, when I know, I can make my own for pennies on the dollar.  Besides, it'll give me a break I need now and then while I'm working on oiling all the woodwork around the house ---woodwork, and then taking a 'time out'...then, working wood.










CONNECTING TO:

Mommy's Idea

OPINION graphic - 1999 newspaper headline, not my graphic

30 comments :

  1. Congratulations on having your blog mentioned, that is very exciting.
    Very sad to hear on the news that there has been another shooting in the US. I guess there are all sorts of opinions about why these people do this, and as yet no one seems to have the answer.

    Hope that your weekend is a happy one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish the shootings would cease. Period.
      Thanks Angela, and have a great weekend yourself!!!

      Delete
  2. Just have to say "ditto" on the opinion...as for the Five Guys...now I remember you mentioning is was why I wanted to eat there last night! We indulged and it was SO yummy...but, now back to eating sensibly again. Leaving in the morning for a week of R&R so will catch up when I get back. Wordless Wednesday will auto-post. C-Ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. enjoy your much needed R&R

      Delete
  3. Very exciting about your blog being featured, as for the other horrific news it is a cruel world we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You deserve to be appreciated, Anni, so I'm glad for you about the blog. I am so discouraged about the state of the country, and guns are everywhere... I don't know the answer, but I know I think killing is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, there probably isn't an answer, it'll be here after we're gone...was long before we were here too.

      Thanks Jan.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the blog!
    As for the shooting - it's so discouraging to hear of these things and it seems to be happening more all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I know, it's sad. And scary when it gets that 'close to family'.
      Thanks Mari.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your blog being featured. Very cool and I'm glad you took a screen shot. I didn't know about peanut oil plaque. That's a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Unknown Mami [LOVE that name]

      Delete
  7. Congrats on having the blog featred. Also, I like Five Guys too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that makes two of us....Five Guys is great.

      Delete
  8. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR BIRDING BLOG....IT DOES NOT SURPRISE ME THOUGH YOUR PICTURES ARE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC QUALITY!!

    You know this world we live in is just becoming scary especially with Erik so close to it.

    I enjoyed your ups and downs....your glass is always 1/2 full!!
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M&M....
      and...
      I try to look at the good in this world....

      Delete
  9. How exciting to have your birding blog mentioned. very cool.
    Scary about your son being so close to a shooting.
    As for the claim that they are "ill" I think sometimes that the mental illness excuse it over used. I realize mental illness is a real issue but taken advantage of far too often. A way for some to get out of taking responsibility for their actions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...exactly!!! You couldn't have said it better. Over use, the lawyers don't care if they are guilty or not...they want their wage, and they'll plead insanity every time.

      Delete
  10. Hey! You're even cooler than I thought you were and I thought your were WAY cool! :) I don't care what Five Guys cooks their food in- I LOVED it when I ate there! LOL I indulged in french fries yesterday. Shhh...;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...once in a while, that's indulgence is okay. At least I think so. Can't stop living.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on your blog being featured! DH and I have an errand to run over in St. Louis tomorrow ... I wonder if we can time it for the lunch hour and find a Five Guys to stop in for lunch? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks. If you find a 5 guys...enjoy.

      Delete
  12. I congratulate you too! I finally have my computer fixed I think. Have you ever eaten at a place called Cheeseburger Bobby's? sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know we don't have a Cheeseburger Bobby's. Never heard of it.
      Glad you got your cpu fixed, you've been missed.

      Delete
  13. We've even had a couple of shootings here in quiet little Wisconsin. Well, if you count Milwaukee as BEING in Wisconsin. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's a sad world these days.

      Delete
  14. Congrats on getting your bird blog highlighted!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I pray the shootings will stop.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cool our life with out shooting.......I will give Thanks to God.......

    ReplyDelete
  17. A fabulous shot! And, a timely reminder...shootings can get really hectic at times. Sharing our faith should be as natural as breathing... and yet, sometimes I find it SO hard! Maybe, I am afraid it will fall on deaf ears, or worse!

    ReplyDelete

.