my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes


NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



Ummmm, Houston we have a problem---



...looks like a moonscape...

But, it's one time when I climbed up the sand dunes on the beach and snapped the shadows of the day.

CONNECTING TO:



_ _ _


SUNDAY'S SUMMARY



Most of our week this week was just going out and doing some birding in all of our regular haunts. Over the Memorial Day weekend, on Monday, we went and checked out our favorite bookstore 'cause they were having a 20% off holiday sale. Half Price Books...that means if I found a dollar book on the clearance shelves, it would only cost me eighty cents. Most books were well picked over and I only found one. Coming back to the birding places, being that it's getting on into summer, not too many migrating birds are here any longer, so it's more localized, year 'round birds we see. And then, not too many of them either. We drove to one area that was new to us, but not new to the listing of birding spots along the Texas Coast Birding Trails. It is called Pollywog Ponds. It's about a 30 mile drive up on the interstate highway, heading toward San Antonio. According to what I've read online about the area, it's a great place to find some more unusual birds. But let me tell you right now, I was totally disappointed in the area. Not only do we have to drive up a road that is all caliche [pronounced kah-leech -hard clay], once parked and starting our walk after climbing over some huge metal gates...it was nice for about 500 yards. We could hear birds singing merrily as we walked along...not even nearing the ponds yet. Anticipation was faltered when we starting hitting a hidden path that had overgrown to knee high grasses and webs. But we continued further in. Only to come upon a barricade of fallen trees. We both circled the area, to no avail. There was no going further ---too dense, and reptile warnings existing, we decided to turn around, and head for Hilltop Community Bird Sanctuary instead. While traversing the path [paved and well kept], we spied a kiskadee and a cardinal. That was it. I did get photos of both, and will add them to my birding photo blog. Oh, and when I got home, I went out online and found the website that is the city's government site, and filed a complaint and commenting that even tho city budgets are at a near standstill, I suggested to them to post somewhere to get volunteers to clean up the mess ---Bud and I would!!! Here is what we 'ran into' after the path disappeared before our eyes...


Another day this week, we drove to the island and just wanted to sit down on the jetty, enjoying the sea breezes - watch the waterfowl, and view all the large ships coming in. There were a LOT of tankers out on the horizon, waiting in line to get a pilot to help navigate them into the channel. We counted seven through the haze on the horizon. We sat, I became quite friendly with one great blue heron who seemed to not be afraid of humans. When we got up and walked farther out to the sea [on the jetty of course], he decided to walk along with us. I told Bud that I wish I had a can of sardines packed in water...I truly think he just may have eaten out of my hand. But I only had gum and water with me. None the less, he was very photogenic. We sat and enjoyed the surroundings over an hour. Listening to the surf crashing behind us, and the gentle waves slapping the boulders on the jetty. On one buoy out in the center of the ships' channel there was a pair of brown pelicans enjoying the day as we were. After taking some photos and again, being left without any chances of those huge tankers coming in...we decided it was time for lunch in town. [we ended up at our favorite deli and had a Sgt. Pepper Roast Beef sandwich with chips, pickle, au juis and a large serving of frozen chocolate/vanilla swirled yogurt.] As we walked along the jetty to leave, we both spotted several dolphins feeding in the calm waters....one with a calf!! Of course they're most difficult to get a decent picture of them, 'cause they only breech the water for seconds and back down they go to move we know not where they'll surface again....



Friday was grocery shopping day...ugh!! That made up most of our week.



54 comments :

  1. So adore the name Pollywog Ponds! Sounds like a fanciful place in a fairytale! But clearly you found that the reality was far from a fairytale! Sounds like some forgotten enchantment that needs some stirring! Your sand dunes look so rugged, perfect for casting shadows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so hoping to get there by foot. And there is only one way in....blocked!!! Maybe someday it'll be cleared out. Glad you liked the sand dune shadows.

      Delete
  2. You really inspire me to get out and appreciate the area where we live more than I do. There is so much beauty all around and I take it for granted more often than not. Camera in hand, I'm going to go out and take advantage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, and it's such a simple concept. Enjoy the day and enjoy your surroundings the best you can.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a fabulous day, except for that horrid birding trek to nowhere! I will be anxious to see the Kiskadee, I have never heard of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty...with a lot of yellow. And their song is pretty too.

      Delete
  4. A week certainly zooms by so fast and here we are at another week-end! I really need to get out more and capture our local beauty - but hubby and I are just not feeling up to it. So blessed that you shared yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karin....I'm so glad you stopped by. It's been way too long. You've been missed.

      Delete
  5. Your pictures are always so pretty and I love the borders you put on them. OMC dolphins...I just love them.
    My daughter works at CMAST in Morehead City,...she can see dolphins swimming in the Sound from her lobby window.

    It has been gorgeous here today...B and I have been on the porch a lot. Yesterday's rain left us with lower humidity and temps.
    Hugs
    C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh....pshaw. Color me green with envy...you two are getting the rains WE need.

      Thanks for the compliments M&M!!

      Delete
  6. Great pictures! I especially like the dolphins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're always so fun to spot out at sea.

      Delete
  7. great adventures...great photos!!! thanks for visual and verbal journey!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed your stop by Hootin' Anni's Robin. Loved your archive post today too.

      Delete
  8. Sorry you didn't have a good trek to Pollywog Ponds! Seems a shame to let places go to pot...but I guess it is all part of this economizing that all cities seem to be enduring! We did a dolphin tour once and it really was difficult to get a shot because just when you figured out where they were, they were under, and then somewhere else entirely! You got some good shots anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, budget cuts has to be somewhere. Too bad it's not with the salaries of the over-paid execs. Oh well. Oh, yes, those dolphins are fun to watch in the 'wild'...but so difficult to photograph.

      Delete
  9. The moonscape being near you is so cool - it does have the feeling of another planet (at least how I would imagine it anyway :)

    On Thursday, I saw a male and a female cardinal on the mulberry tree in the front yard. A couple I would presume - it is a rare sight to see a female with much less red. I am not a birder - yet it was a thrilling sight!

    Nature adapts to us better than we to it - the ships may be big and imposing, yet the dolphin is manuverable and fast and does not live in fear of the hulking tanker. A great sight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed....nature adapts better than we do. You're so right.

      Delete
  10. I do love your moonscape and I also love Pollywog Ponds! A delightful post and photos as always, Anni! Enjoy what's left of your weekend!!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvia...you know what it means to me coming from you...one who has some of the best shadow shots around, I really do take your words to heart.

      Delete
  11. Love that shadow shot of the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That so does look like a moonscape! Very cool! I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly wish I could have shared the rain shadows that you did tho!!! It's so parched here....again.

      Delete
  13. Great photos ~ loved the dolphin shot!!! oh and the turtle... Sounds like a fun filled week except grocery day. I don't like grocery shopping but I do love eating! LOL LOL
    {{{HUGS}}}
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....speaking of eating....I must find me something to chow down on. Buy groceries, and there's nothing in the house.

      Delete
  14. Love the sand dunes/moon reference; it's perfect. And can you really go wrong sitting on a beach with dolphins and turtles to entertain you. Sounds like great times and, certainly, great photo.

    Darryl and Ruth :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love livin' by the sea. There is always the danger of hurricanes, but I figure there is always danger of other stuff that mother nature can hand over to us...blizzards, forest fires, tornadoes....hail.

      Delete
  15. that does look like a moonscape. Very cool shot.
    Polliwog Ponds at least has a neat name. Too bad it was a disappointment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sorely disappointed...but it seems that is the way of things these days...always budget cuts and things get neglected.

      Delete
  16. You live on a very beautiful place Anni.

    Delicious Shadows, have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very pretty....especially along the coast of course.

      Delete
  17. What great shadows...SAND DUNE SHADOWS...just perfect.
    ...and doesn't our friend, RALPH, have such a way with words. I am always telling him to WRITE A BOOK...he is a natural. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bj....glad you stopped by.
      And yes, Ralph is a natural....his gift of words is astounding.

      Delete
  18. Your "moonscape" shot makes me want to go exploring!

    Hard-to-See Shadows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved your 'barely' shadows for Shadow Shot 2 [also]

      Delete
  19. I love it! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to know you enjoyed it Jenn.

      Delete
  20. Sure looks like a moonscape! Great photos as well, especially of the animals!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anni, Sorry you didn't have much luck on the bird watching expedition but sounds like you had a great day out in the fresh air. I would think the city would want that area cleaned up.

    In the last few days, I've spotted about a dozen cardinals, which always remind me of you. I know how you love them. Lots of other birds as well, including goldfinch, blue jay, mourning doves and red winged black birds.

    Hope all is well with you and Bud.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no profile available to us any longer Mary? I'll hafta go out in my reader and find you to pay you a visit.

      Delete
  22. Wow, what awesome sand dunes and if that weren't enough, the dolphins! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved your photos too, but I do know one thing, once I figure out what you're conveying to us in YOUR post, I'm gonna try it.

      Delete
  23. I just LOVE seeing dolphins playing in the water! We saw at least 4 dolphins one day as we were walking along the beach at Hilton Head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you're retired, maybe moving to the beach would be a perfect lifestyle change...I know I think we shoulda done it years ago.

      Delete
  24. Didn't know how/where to answer your cell p hone question (comment on my blog). You take a picture on your cell phone with that camera ap that you downloaded-the 'dream' photo was taken with the camera ap instead of the regular camera on my cell phone. It' like I have 3 different cameras in my cell phone since I have the regular camera that it comes with plus two cell phone camera aps.
    Pretty crazy-just download the retro camera (look in the section for free aps for your cell phone) for starters. It has 5 different'cameras' or looks in that one ap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good....thanks for the info!!!

      Delete
  25. Ooooh talk about your very own huge sand box where those sand dunes are! lol I've climbed in sand like that and it's not easy!!

    Pollywog Ponds...love that name:-) What a shame the trail was in such bad shape and as you say, it should have been posted as being such instead of letting people go all the way there and finding out the hard way.

    It must be so thrilling so watch sea creatures at play. I would want to sit there all day watching the dolphins!! I've been seeing plenty of black bears around here...would much rather see dolphins! lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sand box....never thought of it that way before. But yep, we could make huge sand castles. Oh ya, dolphins instead of bears any day.

      Delete
  26. I love your dolphin shots!! Your moon, uh..beach shot is great, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Kelly.

      Delete
  27. Thanks for sharing your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by Denise.

      Delete

.