“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






...add pecans and dressing - Waldorf Salad!!

Ruby Tuesday 2 - and Tina's Picstory challenge this week: FRUIT



ALSO on the agenda today regarding 'fruits'....here are some of my 'fruits' of labor when out and about this time of year on the beach, combing the beaches. From about Mid-March through the summer months, if I'm lucky...I find drift seeds, fruits of tropical plants all the way from areas of the world like the South American Rain Forest, the Islands in the Caribbean and coasts off Africa. Granted, I haven't had too much luck in finding any so far [they usually come in droves during the hurricane season and after tropical storms mostly]...but, I have found a few. I added a couple of shark eye seashells here also:


Granade Pod

The buoyant fruits of grenade pod contain numerous hollow pockets which permit them to float for great distances. The raised pocket areas, which are exposed when the outer exocarp layer is eroded away, produce the faceted (bumpy) surface of the endocarp which superficially resembles a hand grenade. In Mexico these unusual fruits are often called "cojon de burro," a descriptive name that is probably not as appropriate as hand grenade. They are produced by a small tree native to the Amazon and Orinoco River basins of South America.

*



Shark eye shells

*


Seaside Hibiscus -or Water Hickory

*


Tamanu

On this one, a drift fruit from the Tamanu Tree, I had to converse a couple of times with Wayne at Wayne's Word Drift Seed site [the curator, with link below], so he could help me identify this particular one. I have one in possession from a couple of years ago [now I have two], but never took the time to try and ID it. After sending him the photo, he emailed me "Tamanu". Mr. A [Wayne] also helped me last year identify the porcupine seed pod from my collection. The Tamanu seed/fruit is used for medicinal purposes! Drifting in from the Polynesian areas or as far as Africa.

- - -

I posted this 'sea heart' bean a couple of weeks ago [link here to show you the ocean 'slime attached before cleaning] as I found it on the beach, nestled in the seaweed. Here it is now that it's been cleaned up and polished ---


sea heart bean [left] & sea coconut [right]


- - -











ANNI'S WALDORF SALAD


...this is how I make it [altho, I never measure, so it's a guess-timation]:



Ingredients

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 granulated sugar
1 apple - unpeeled but washed, cored, and chopped
1 medium banana, peeled and sliced
1 large orange, peeled and sectioned/chopped
1/2 cup raisins [optional]
1/2 cup pecan halves


Directions

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sugar and lemon juice.
Add the apples, bananas, orange sections, and pecans. [and raisins if desired]
Mix together well and serve chilled.


OPTIONAL DRESSING
Just mix fruit and nuts in a large bowl with orange yogurt!!! Delicious.
I've also sprinkled granola on top sometimes.
Variations for waldorf salad is endless!!!










drift seed info from Wayne's Word
shell ID from GOOGLE






CONNECTING TO:

Picstory's next topic is *from above*

56 comments :

  1. Die Früchte sehen total lecker aus. Mhhhh!!!
    LG Mathilda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Mathilda...and for the compliments.

      Delete
  2. What great finds you have there! It would be so much fun to find these on the beach...alas, all I find on our beaches here is tourists and their trash...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...now you sound like our son, Erik...he says that's all he finds too...especially the 'trash' part.

      Delete
  3. thanks for your beautiful fruits :) great macros!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming over to visit...and your hosting this Tuesday meme.

      Delete
  4. That fruit looks so yummy!

    Happy RT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Ruby Tuesday to you too "Nora".

      Delete
  5. Wonderful pics. I love waldorf salad. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Happy RT2!

    Mine's here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too....I could probably have it at least every other day and never get tired of it.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fruits look so fresh and crisp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear tho...your flan looked much MORE delicious today.

      Delete
  8. Nice pictures and lesson on what you've found beachcombing. The salad does sound delicious, but the pictures are the best part! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I tend to put way too many pictures in my posts sometimes. Glad you enjoyed your stay here today.

      Delete
  9. Yes! The yogurt works very well for a dressing for this!

    «Louis» thanks you for your visit to his Ruby Tuesday post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the Studebakers...brought back lots of memories.

      Delete
  10. I must try your Waldorf Salad. it sounds easy to pretty. Thanks for sharing. Hopping here from RT2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very easy, and healthy and tasty. How can you go wrong?

      Delete
  11. What a lot of treasures you found on the beach. Definitely a fruitful day! The waldorf sounds great, I love fresh fruit salads. Happy RT2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you came over to visit....with my fruit and your farmer's market...we could make an entire meal!!

      Delete
  12. OH MY WORD your post was a pleasure for our eyes and taste buds.
    I love your treasures from the beach. I'll have to head to the store for salad fixings.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll come join you for the salad...mine's all gone already.

      Delete
  13. The granade pod reminds me of a turtle shell. Interesting post and really would like a bowl of that waldorf salad to go with my lunch. Sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it makes a great lunch...just add some chicken breast chunks and voila!!!

      Delete
  14. And thanks for checking out the birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome...come back anytime!

      Delete
  15. The salad sounds really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yumm! I love Waldorf Salad.
    And thanks for the seeds, etc. I never saw the like.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you have the salad for lunch then? I did.

      Delete
  17. what cool things you find on the beach. When I go to the beach I normally don't find anything other than garbage and dead fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only time we have a lot of dead fish is when the red tide shows up.

      Delete
  18. Great textures and earthy colours in these shots, Anni! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow....you flatter me. Thanks!!

      Delete
  19. Hi Anni, The Waldorf Salad is one of my fav's ---and I'll bet it is good with the orange yogurt... Yum.. Thanks for sharing.

    When we lived on the other side of the gulf in Venice, FL (in the '70's) --we would go to one beach near Sarasota, FL to collect sharks' teeth... We had a box full of them at one time.. Don't know what ever happened to that box.. We had some really good ones... Oh Well..

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now THAT is something we've not found yet...would like to find a shark's tooth. LOL

      Delete
  20. I have never seen such treasures on the beach before and I am an avid beach wanderer. The shark eye shells especially intrigue me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gemma, it's really a great day to find the shark eye shells all in ONE piece.

      Delete
  21. The seed treasures are amazing - it is really amazing how the mighty currents can carry these from all over the oceanic globe practically to your doorstep. Neat! The salad allows the sweet fruits to play off the tangy and tart mayo mixture. The nuts add a satisfying crunch. Happily, I have just eaten supper so no salivating...for now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to read that you enjoyed my post Ralph.

      Delete
  22. You are so creative. Trust you to take the end of a banana and make the photo so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....I guess the banana looking good has to take all the credit.

      Delete
  23. Very informative post.
    Nice photos and a recipe, too!
    Thanks for your visit and comment on my blog.
    Have a great day!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you try the recipe Lea.

      Delete
  24. Lovely rubies! Those fruits are inviting.

    Strawberries for Ruby Tuesday, come and have some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love fresh strawberries...I'll be right over.

      Delete
  25. Thanks for dropping by, Anni.
    You've found lots of interesting stuff on the beach. Are you collecting them?

    Great fruit shots; you've captured their freshness beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I collect these...especially liking the sea heart beans mostly.

      Delete
  26. Will have to try your salad recipe. It is slightly different from the one I inherited from my MIL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could almost guarantee you'll like it if you try it.

      Delete
  27. That is fascinating. I love the treasures you find! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Kaishon!

      Delete
  28. Great shots! Very nice findings!
    Thanks for sharing;o)

    ***
    Hope you are having a fabulous week****

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your bird image...its eyes...oh, its eyes!!!

      Delete

.