my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Bottom's UP!

I find this quite fascinating and something I didn't know actually happened with these species of ducks. To 'morph' into a chaotic and beautiful coloration during mating season...and then...only to change back to the drab browness of the female colors after mating season! The old sayin' goes something like to live you must learn something new each day...well, I did today, reading about the Northern Shoveler!! That still 'bloggles' my mind! Read on --from wikipedia:





NORTHERN SHOVELER
[from wikipedia] This species is unmistakable in the northern hemisphere due to its large spatulate bill. The breeding drake has an iridescent dark green head, white breast and chestnut belly and flanks. In flight, pale blue fore-wing feathers are revealed, separated from the green speculum by a white border. In early fall the male will have a white crescent on each side of the face. In non-breeding (eclipse) plumage, the drake resembles the female. The female is a drab mottled brown like other dabblers, with plumage much like a female Mallard, but easily distinguished by the long broad bill, which is gray tinged with orange on cutting edge and lower mandible.




Photos of the Northern Shoveler taken in March 2012
both female and male resemble the mallard -except for the spoonbill beak [and color of drake's bill is black]
Port Aransas Birding Retreat
Texas






CONNECTING TO:





- - -


HODGEPODGE



1. Have you ever played golf? Any interest in playing? Do you have a significant other who loves to play? Did you watch The Masters this past weekend? Answers in chronological order: YES, last time when I played was in Tubac AZ...used to have an interest...he [Bud] used to along with me [we both sold our golf clubs when we moved]...No Masters [no TV]

My BIL, my sister, me, and Bud [At Tubac AZ getting ready to tee off]

2. Hats are back in fashion this spring...how do you feel about wearing a hat? (fyi-I'm not talking baseball caps) When was the last time you wore one?
I have a big, sloppy, huge brimmed hat I wear during the summer when I'm walking on the beach with the blistering heat shining down on my otherwise bare shoulders [I wear a lot of spaghetti strap tops and tank-tops in the summer].

3. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 meaning proficient and 1 meaning "I'd starve", how adept are you at using chopsticks? Well, I wouldn't starve, 'cause I'd use the chop sticks as a stabbing instrument before I'd starve....but if proficiency is the key to the question...it'd be a 3. The veggies and meats I can 'handle'...but the rice is a whole 'nother thing. For that, if no fork, it'd be fingers for me..

4. Has technology taken over? Probably for the younger generation, but I can easily adapt to the old ways...'cause I grew up without.

5. In the course of a day how often do you look in a mirror? Once...when I wash and clean up after my night's sleep. I'm too busy otherwise.

6. Tulip or Daffodil? Daffodil....I love the yellow. But then, if there are PURPLE tulips, it'd be a hard choice.

7. [fill in the blank] I am proud of myself for just that...being myself without pressure to change in any way.

8. Insert your own random thought here. Speaking of Golf...I was an extra in the Kevin Costner movie, "Tin Cup"...also filmed partly in Tubac's Golf Course. Then, I was an extra in a TV movie "Stranger to Love" starring Pam Dawber and Beau Bridges....you can see me on youtube... [about 7 seconds into part 8 I'm seen against the wall clear on the left...then, after Pam Dawber and Beau Bridges are seen...it flashes to our table again ---I'm to the far left [smiling] --at the 15 second mark...again, about 24 seconds mark ----ALSO---did you know that Pam Dawber is married to Mark Harmon of NCIS?!!!







CONNECTING TO:








42 comments :

  1. Great post...I'm sorry I am not a hat person, no way would you get me to wear a hat as a fashion statement.

    Tulip or Daffodil, for me Tulip..

    Use of chopsticks, I would be a 7, I'm not too bad at using them..

    Enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably ambidextrous too, right?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You're a sweet one Denise.

      Delete
  3. Total schön, mag Enten sehr gerne und bei mir gibt es die am Samstag zu sehen.

    LG Mathilda ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke!! I'm happy that you think the ducks are pretty.

      Delete
  4. Anni, you are just full of interesting information! I didn't know that about the ducks. And an extra in movies - wow! The closest I have come to that is being featured in several training videos for the company I used to work for. I am not a hat person either...hate messing up my hair! And I have never played golf, or had any interest, unless you count putt-putt! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I like putt putt too actually.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Cecillia...I really enjoyed viewing your surf on the Mediterranean too.

      Delete
  6. Wow! Can I have your autograph? How neat is that?! I always loved Pam Dawber from Mork and Mindy. Being yourself is the only way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL.....sure. Step right up.

      Delete
  7. so true about blogland, I learn something new every single day and most times more than one thing new. did not know this and now i do. but the thing is will i remember it next week. we call my plant dwarf poinciana, it has about 6 different names. we grew ours from our neighbors seed pods, i fell in love with the bush and asked for the pods, now we have 2 of them. i can see this one out my kitchen window and it makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mexican Bird of Paradise is a stunning plant...I love the fern like fronds/leaves and the blossom is so striking!!

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous shots - and interesting education! ;)


    Easter Egg Family Time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ARE pretty birds...especially the drakes.

      Delete
  9. I always enjoy finding out more about you, Anni. I never played golf, but my parents did and now my sister does as a retired person. She enjoys it but I couldn't ever get the hang of it. I wear hats only when I have to, and now it is usually just one with a bill to keep the rare sun out of my eyes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it to an extent...but never really got thrilled or addicted to it. No matter the challenge on the course you play it's always just par. Y'know?

      Delete
  10. Aww, you made me homesick for Arizona talking about golfing there! And oh what fun to be an extra on movies - I grew up in LA and went to several movie previews and saw shows taped live, but never got to do the movie extra thing - that would be fun! have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun....I got to meet a few people that no one else has. I guess that's the 'extra' I'd take into consideration.

      Delete
  11. That's so neat you were an extra!! I love Pam Dawber. I don't see her much on Tv anymore!

    Hope your having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always liked her too. And, nope she isn't in much TV any more.

      Delete
  12. I never realize ducks has many colors. I even didn't know there are many species of them, lol! What I see in the Philippines is a white duck that's it. I like the color of these one specially the second photo looks like somebody carved it on wood and color it. Pretty!
    I have not play gold I would love to try. Do not know what is masters? I like to wear hats it feels classy to me. I try to learn how to use chopsticks but I can't make it. I stop or else I would be starving hahahaha. Technology taken over me tremendously ^_^ When I go to the bathroom I often look at myself at the mirror and say "hey beautiful!" ^_^ Hahaha! And I like both tulip and daffodil ^_^
    Thanks for joining Water World Wednesday I do appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you started a new watery meme for Wednesday Kim....I'm wondering what happened to Watery Wednesday hostess tho.

      Delete
  13. I so enjoyed your post today. Like that you were an extra on a film. I would enjoy being on the golf course because of the sun and heat and if I had a cart, well it would be a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The carts are fun to drive too!!! LOL You can just zip right along.

      Delete
  14. My husband loves that movie Tin Cup. Actually it might be the fact that Rene Russo is in it : ) How fun to be an extra though!

    I enjoyed your answers and especially that bit about the duck-I learned something too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got her autograph.....ya, she is a very NICE lady!!!

      Delete
  15. Excellent shots Anni! I love ducks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen...your geese images reminded me of being bitten once.....and only once. Now I give 'em wide berth. LOL

      Delete
  16. I love learning new things and you always help me out there.
    Liked reading about your Hodge Podge questions and answers too.
    Hope your doing good honey
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie...it's always good to see you stop by.

      Delete
  17. OH MY WORD Anni I saw that movie when it was on. I watch anything with Pam Dawber and Beau Bridges. Yes I knew Pam was married to Mark Harmon...oh I'm a big fan of his too. Are you enjoying NCSI the last couple of weeks? I have always like Jamie Lee Curtis now I'm trying to decide if I like her as Gibb's love interest. LOL
    Love the beautiful Shoveler.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I like Jamie Lee....she is cute and has a lot of spunk!! As for Pam Dawber, I am assuming she has retired, or semi-retired as I don't see her on TV any longer.

      Delete
  18. Very interesting about the ducks, I learned something new today. How cool about the movie, I didn't know you were a movie star :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, no walk of fame for me!! rofl

      Delete
  19. Wow you were in two movies. So fun! I love Mark Harmon in NCIS. One of my favorite shows. Great pictures of the ducks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my all time favorite also. I don't have cable TV any longer, but I get it on the computer from CBS online.

      Delete
  20. How cool that you got to be in those movies! Your posts never fail to amuse me in some way! Loved your chopsticks answer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment AC!!

      Delete
  21. Hi Anni, Interesting facts about the ducks... Thanks for sharing...

    Neat about your 'movie experience'... Neither George nor I have ever played golf --but we live on a golf course!!!!

    I love both Tulips and Daffodils... IF I had to choose one, I'd probably pick tulips--since there are many different colors.

    The thing I'm most proud of now is losing weight and getting healthy!!!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing weight, if a planned loss, is good!!! And definitely something to be proud of.

      Delete

.