“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Sunshine and Natural Beauty in....

Blucher Park
Corpus Christi, Texas
January 2012


This natural area in the middle of the city, is adjacent to the county court house, the city library - near Upper Broadway Street [a hilly area that overlooks Water Street and the Bay]. It's a birding area that attracts all kinds of wildlife...including transients; sadly. Across the street from this park, there are several historical homes mostly privately owned and operated as lawyers' offices and Bed and Breakfasts [the Blucher home is now a Bed and Breakfast --along the side street you'll find the horse carriage house that was also owned by a man named Blucher]---












connected to: Macro Monday and Mellow Yellow Monday [linked buttons at BOTTOM of blog page]
ALSO LINKING TO:
studio waterstone



- - -




MONDAY MORSELS

George Anton Von Blucher (1863 - 1929), for which the park is named was born in Corpus Christi, Nueces, Texas, USA on 3 Oct 1863 to Anton Von Blucher and Maria Imme [both German immigrants]. George Anton married Alice May Crawford and had 6 children. He passed away on 25 Oct 1929 in Corpus Christi, Nueces, Texas, USA, and the family members are buried in the oldest cemetery in Corpus Christi - Bayview Cemetery. High on the bluff overlooking Corpus Christi Bay, George Anton von Blucher and his bride, Alice [Crawford] von Blucher, built their galleried Victorian home in 1904. Now known as the George Blucher House, reportedly, the Inn exudes an understated elegance and the hospitality of days gone by. Nestled quietly beneath towering magnolia, elm, anacua, pecan and oak, the historic George Blucher home sits just across the street from Blucher Park, an internationally renowned bird sanctuary. If you'd like to read about the historical George Blucher House...click HERE [you can find out the amenities, the history, the innkeeper background and the different styles of rooms available.]

AND!!!! I was totally impressed with a certain comment I rec'd yesterday in my Shadow Shot post....I titled my post "The Shadow of your Smile"...and the photo I chose to use for a shadow was of a Sandpiper on the shore of the Gulf. NIXBLOG....high 5 by the way...."connected the dots" and posted the comment regarding a movie of long ago..."The Sandpiper", and as part of the movie's soundtrack, the song...."The Shadow of your Smile"!!! Way to go...you impressed me to no end on that. :::beaming with awe::: NixBlog Daily is worth going out on the 'net to visit...images galore - a great blog. Also offered is a Friday Flower Meme on another blog.

38 comments :

  1. Good mornin' gal! I so enjoy your photos and your information. Like getting a history/geography lesson with a slide show! I too am fascinated with bees on flowers and have found some really neat ones. Maybe I will do a "B" showing one day! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Such amazing photos! And that last one is just sublime.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm now following yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely images and thanks for the little history. I do love history and it is lovely to read something that otherwise would have slipped me by.

    Mollyxxx

    Ps... Thanks for the lovely comment on my blue M and M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting post.

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there - we grew sunflowers in out garden for the first time this year - a small girl wanted them! The bees love them!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...those certainly make me smile on this cold morning. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anni, Love the sunflowers and the bee shots. I used to have them too but nothing is permanent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I leave comments for you because I want you to know how much I appreciate your hard work. But I am not very clever with comment information, making me doubly impressed with Nixblog!

    And the sunflowers on a rainy soggy grey day are just perfect! Thanks, Anni...

    ReplyDelete
  9. wOw...what beautiful flowers for January! love the macro! love the bee! love the post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love those flower photos, sure do brighten up an otherwise dull and dreary day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful macro shots and beuatiful Sun flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful macro shots and beuatiful Sun flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a wonderful place to visit - would love to join you there sometime (anytime but summer, you know!) Great sunshiney pictures.

    I'll have to go back and check out The Shadow of Your Smile - loved that song. Wish there was something comparable these days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh what beautiful flowers for Jan.
    I really do enjoy reading the history of your area.
    I do hope that you are feeling so much better and the apple dumpling sounded so yummy.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. very informative..am amazed that you were able to get a photo of the bee..it's just so hard to take their photo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great shots! We don't have that color here in MI. Thanks for sharing and the visit I do appreciate it.

    Yellow & Blue

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such beautiful photographs! Although after our drama with bees last week,they're not my favourite! :) My daughter ended up in hospital having an allergy to bees and she stood on one! Silly girl - she's fine now! W

    What an interesting story!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Liebe Anni,

    diese Blümchen würde ich jetztauch vielLieber sehen, als Schnee und Kälte.

    GLG Marianne ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks like a sunflower but I don't think it is one, anyway all flowers are very wellcome in my grey cold winter weather !
    I wonder if your von Blücher is a parent of this one : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Blücher who fought against Napoleon. Anyway this family is still famous in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous Anni! The delicious yellow glow makes me feel nice and warm on a snowy day here in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely sunflowers! Have a fabulous week.

    Liz @ MLC

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous flowers...they are in full bloom now?! What is the average temperature this time of year in your area?

    MMMMM a sandpiper in your first picture? MOL Mom thought it was a gull. She doesn't see a lot of shore birds....that is her excuse and she is sticking to it.
    Hugs Madi

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very lovely capture of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What great yellow flowers, and that bee capture!! What are the flowers, do you know? I remember The Sandpiper, I saw it at the theatre! I think it was Liz Taylor. Maybe even Burton was in it, too! They never re-run it on T.V.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yellow is my all time favorite color! It makes me feel happier just looking at it and those pictures are spectacular! Mr. Bee was so busy he didn't even notice you there thankfully! :o) You always have such nice pictures and these are just gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. gorgeous flowers. So good to see in the middle of winter. :)

    You asked about the pole. It is painted like that. Newly! It is poles that guides people on a new hiking path that is why the colors is so visible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeautiful photos! Love the yellow, yellow, yellow. :-)

    "Books to the ceiling, Books to the sky,
    My pile of books is a mile high.
    How I love them! How I need them!
    I’ll have a long beard by the time I read them."

    - Arnold Lobel

    ReplyDelete
  28. I remembered the song, Anni, but I didn't remember the movie. Probably didn't see it.
    Love your bright yellow flowers, and the Blucher house sounds interesting. If we're ever headed your way, we might be looking for a B&B, but I doubt if an elegant Victorian house would appreciate a golden retriever. LOL
    K

    ReplyDelete
  29. That first shot reminds me of my standing in a field of sunflowers while we were driving to Estes Park in Colorado. I made Buddy stop the car and I walked out into a huge field of sunflowers for him to take my picture. I adore that shot. It brings back synch happy memories....my middle son’s wedding in Cuchara, Colorado. You always make my day with your pictures. genie

    ReplyDelete
  30. Its very pretty yellow flower...Am here from MM, MYM, I heart macro...

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW!!!! Don't know what else to say!!!! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  32. beautiful sunflower with a bee, loved it :-) Thank you for sharing. Visiting from MYM, hope that you can return the visit too.

    http://www.mommies2ks.com/2012/01/pajama-day-at-school.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gorgeous yellow color and light in these macros Anni!

    Happy MM

    ReplyDelete
  34. neat shot! I wish I had a macro. I'm impressed you were able to get the bee on the flower like that!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the bright yellow color of the sunflowers..Plus the bee, perfect:)

    Visiting for MYM! Hope you can stop by:)

    http://www.heavenly-dreams.com/green-mango-pickled/

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  37. thanks for your visits in my blog...i do always like flowers that has a bee...it is always a challenge to take photos.god job.

    ReplyDelete

.