Song: Iko Iko
Video Link: Dixie Cups
Photo Credits: [all taken in New Orleans, Louisiana] - History of Iko Iko, 2011 Iko Chieftan -from Mardi Gras on the streets when we were there, close up of the historical facts, and the two Mardi Gras jesters [dressed in green] from the Harrah's Gambling Casino near the Riverwalk/Mississippi River
* * *
Lyrics:
My grandma and your grandma were
Sit-tin' by the fire. - My grandma told
Your grandma "I'm gonna set your flag on fire."
Talk-in' 'bout, Hey now ! Hey now ! I-KO, I-KO, un-day
Jock-a-mo fee-no ai na-n-ay. - Jock-a-mo fee na-n-ay

Look at my king all dressed in red
I-KO, I-KO, un-day. I betcha five dollars he'll kill you dead
Jock-a-mo fee na-n-ay

Talk-in' 'bout, Hey now ! Hey now ! I-KO, I-KO, un-day
Jock-a-mo fee-no ai na-n-ay. - Jock-a-mo fee na-n-ay.
My flag boy and your flag boy were
Sit-tin' by the fire. - My flag boy told
Your flag boy "I'm gonna set your flag on fire."
Talk-in' 'bout, Hey now ! Hey now ! I-KO, I-KO, un-day
Jock-a-mo fee-no ai na-n-ay. - Jock-a-mo fee na-n-ay.
See that guy all dressed in green...
I-KO, I-KO, un-day. He's not a man
He's a lov-in' machine
Jock-a mo fee na-n-ay.

Talk-in' 'bout, Hey now ! Hey now ! I-KO, I-KO, un-day
Jock-a-mo fee-no ai na-n-ay. - Jock-a-mo fee na-n-ay.

The current lyrics of this old song are distortions of the original Louisiana Creole French versions. Here are the true meanings:
Iko Iko an de: "Pay attention to this!"
Jacomo feel o an den de: "The Joker we do not play today."
Jacomo fenanai: "The Joker is finished."
This was said by the Mardi Gras "Indians" to show they were deadly serious. One happened to be walking along Royal one day while we were there...photo above. Along with the legendary Mardi Gras Jester you find all around the city.
[note: I also learned that with various versions and corruptions of the original, it could be 'fool' instead of joker - and It's not really Jackomo - the real Native word is suppose to be Chokma Finah... Of Mardi Gras chants.
In the early versions of Iko Iko the words were:
My ma reine and your ma reine [my queen]
Sittin' by the fire *
Says my ma reine to your ma reine,
I'm gonna set your flag on fire."
* or "sittin by the bayou"
Ma riene is the Mardi Gras Indian's Big Chief's queen. Ma reine became "Marraine" which is Cajun for grandmother. That's why The Dixie Cups sang "your grandma & my grandma". According to another translation, Jackamo is jester or jokester.]
Further reading the song's history, link here.
- - -

In this list you'll find the top 25 WORST passwords to use online-and you'll notice that #1 and #18 will be explained by J-man...he's such a doll to help us out on this, I thought..
1. password
2. 123456
3.12345678
4. qwerty
5. abc123
6. monkey
7. 1234567
8. letmein
9. trustno1
10. dragon
11. baseball
12. 111111
13. iloveyou
14. master
15. sunshine
16. ashley
17. bailey
18. passw0rd
19. shadow
20. 123123
21. 654321
22. superman
23. qazwsx
24. michael
25. football
Now, the article I read this from also tells the reader that if you see YOUR password on the list, you're in deep doo doo! Okay, "check"...I'm good to go. Mine isn't there. But to go a bit further; as I always do, I read some of the comments. Heck, they're usually more fun than the article itself. So, for the humor of it all, I wanted to share some of the comments---Of all the above passwords, I think the most ingenious is #8.
I love this post, lol
ReplyDeleteYes, number eight is a scream!!! And I had no IDEA about this song!!! I never was able to figure out the words!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun song!!
ReplyDeleteJust changed all my PW, but before I saw your list, lol. Love #8 too :)
Here's a page to test passwords..., kind of fun to think of some!
ReplyDeleteOH MY WORD I haven't heard this song in years...I love it. My feet are tapping and Madi's tush is waggin'. Thank you for taking the time to include the background info etc.
ReplyDeleteThursday trashy post!! LOL
Hugs C
Was sind wieder für tolle Fotos.
ReplyDeleteGLG Marianne ♥
Lotsa' background on those songs. :-)
ReplyDeleteNope, my password(s) is/are not there. :-)
Yes, the comments are usually more fun than the articles. :-)
"The holly's up, the house is all bright,
The tree is ready, the candles alight:
Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight!"
~~P. Cornelius
I think #8 is pretty cute, too. I think I'm safe, since my passwords are not here. But the comments, as you said, are great. Interesting information about those words. I just couldn't figure out what they might mean before you explained... :-)
ReplyDeleteAn old song I haven't heard in awhile. Your photos are perfect and the song perfect for your lastest series of posts!
ReplyDeleteLOVE the password thingy!!! #8 is so perfect though. I really smiled at that.
The comments are priceless. I wish I had that much wit.
Maybe I'll change mine to AllenLudden - groan! :)
Love these NOLA posts. And the music is great. I need to go to iTunes and get this one. I am a lover of Cajun music, but this is very different. Like the beat and the words. When I would play Cajun tunes on my fiddle, my French daddy would complain and say...”Stop playing that awful whining music. I have never liked it.” Keep the photos com in’. genie
ReplyDelete