my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




You may know what this is.....do you?

...the majority of photos are dark, I know. But, I didn't want all the light of the room reflecting.





























THEY'RE CALLED:
GALILEO THERMOMETERS---

Galileo Galilei (1564-1642) discovered that the density of liquids change as the temperature varies. This scientific principle has become an elegant and functional work of art; The Galileo Thermometer. When the temperature rises, the liquid in the glass tube becomes less dense, causing the floating glass spheres to sink one by one.

I now have one thanks to Hobby Lobby's 50% off coupon!! [without a coupon, they're very costly, as you can see the prices with the link I have below] And it is MOST fascinating. I have yet to see a water bubble rise or drop -actually in motion that is, but I keep hoping. And, I have it placed in the dining room for photographing only...it's normally NOT within reach of our cats. LOL

To read how to read the temperature...peruse this site



- - -

Now, for some Wednesday's meme -HODGEPODGE...



1. Of all the tools and gadgets you own which do you most enjoy using? LOL....okay, y'all know my mind is most always in the gutter when it comes to questions like these...can I say a dildo is a gadget? NO? Okay...I won't. Guess in all seriousness, gadget #1 is my electric toothbrush...and the screwdriver is my most handy dandy of tools. I use it for more than just screwing. Oh, oh...there I go again. Move on down...shall we? Next question?----

2. When (if ever) is impatience a virtue? Sometimes...with customer [REPAIR] service. Yep, sometimes I just need to vent and get things fixed the right way this time. And sometimes I tell them just that ---"If you would have fixed it right in the first place, you wouldn't have to contend with me right now".

3. What temperature do you keep your thermostat set to in winter? Do you have another way to heat your house besides a furnace of some type? Around here, we really don't need a furnace but just a couple of days all winter. And we've never had to use it but maybe once or twice since we've moved here seven years ago. If it gets too chilly by early morning --we have firewood for the fireplace. But we've never had to use it so far. Actually, the only thing we need to keep warm is a pair of sweats or a sweater until the sun comes up. BTW...we've had to run the air conditioner a few times in late November!

4. Do/did you have a close relationship with any of your grandparents?
I was born too late. Three of my grandparents died by the time I was 5. My one grandparent that survived to live even long enough to meet Bud shortly after we were married...well, he was a super wonderful, fun-loving grandpa. He lived to be 96!! By the way...on Bud's side of the family, his maternal grandmother lived to be 103. Whoa!!! She was a 'card' too. Deaf - read lips. It was a super life happening for me to get to know her. She always whispered to Bud wondering why I was always barefooted...."Can't you support your own wife, and buy the girl some shoes?"

5. When did you last have a family portrait taken?
Never with our two kids. But Bud and I had a portrait made of the two of us for our 25th anniversary. Which was nearly that...nearly 20 years ago.

6. What does the word patriotism mean to you? These days it's hard to see any with the government the way it is. I remember once seeing a T shirt that had "I love my country...but the government sucks". I do have the same sentiments a lot these days. Actually, some may think this odd, but when I see one of those 5'x3' HUGE stars and stripes flowing in the breeze...I easily get teary-eyed. It represents our freedoms.

7. Do you like to play cards and if so, what's your favorite card game? I love to play cards. And miss our Friday night card games with my folks. We'd play to the wee hours of the following morning....poker, uno, whist, rummy, pinochle, hearts. Beers, Pepsi, pretzels, pizza...it was all on Friday night. Now-a-days, when our kids visit, we end up playing all the ones mentioned above. If it's just the two of us, Bud and I will play Gin Rummy. Or Cribbage. LOVE card games, I do. Bud hates uno...but I force him to play once in a while.

8. Insert your own random thought here. Y'all know the expression "Making Whoopie", right? So tell me. Just what is a whoopie cushion made of then? On the other hand, in my experience, another random thought...most arguments are caused by a misunderstanding of the fact that I am always the one that is right.

25 comments :

  1. That looked familiar, but I needed your note to identify it. Aren't those thermometers just amazing?!!!?! My parents have one (and no cat) so it lives on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one of those thermometers! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen these thermometers and wondered if hey really work. So what's the verdict? Are you comparing it to your thermostat? Is it accurate? My favorite gadget to play with would be either my camera or the iPad. I was blessed enough to have a very close relationship with my maternal grandmother. In the winter we keep the temperature between 70 and 73, much cooler than that when we are in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful images, so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ithink these thermometers are very intersting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think those thermometers are pretty fascinating. My daughter has one and it's really quite accurate!
    I loved #8 - I'm always right too, but Bob doesn't always see it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't seen an old thermometer like that since I was a kid. My grandpa had one. Rule one--I am right, rule two if you disagree see rule one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool Anii, I had no idea what they were!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's nice piece and very decorative. I want to see all the glass spheres all float. Will that happen?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aha, I bought my husband a Galileo Thermometer several years ago.
    1. Does a dishwasher count as a gadget? Actually, I like tape measures. (No, Anni, don't even think it.) I always seem to be measuring rooms, and furniture, with an eye to organizing this house. It never gets organized, but it gets measured a lot.
    2. I don't know about impatience, but I have to learn to be firmer with people who are supposed to be providing services. I'll try your line some day.
    3. Our thermostat is set to 21 Celsius, which is almost 70 Fahrenheit. I sometimes sneak it up to 22, which is 71.5F. At night, we drop it down to 18C (64.4F). In the summer, the airconditioning is set to come on if the temperature reaches 23 (73.4).
    4. I loved all my grandparents. Grandpa Davies died when I was 16, but my memories of him go back to the time I was 2. Grandma died when I was 22. My maternal grandparents lived until I was in my late 30s.
    5. Dick and I have had portraits taken a couple of times in our 10 years together.
    6. I love Canada. We wear Canada T-shirts when we travel.
    7. My great-aunts tried so hard to teach me to play Bridge that I don't really like cards at all, although I have been known to invite myself to some poker games and win (luck, not skill).
    8. Gotta go, the dog is making noises. Egad! My husband just came in the back door two hours early. Scared me out of the few wits I have left.
    —K

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the look of the thermometer but wondered if they actually work. We've had no need of a/c here in the past month! Thanks for playing along in the HP today : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Galileo thermometers are cool. I doubt my wife would let me have one. That's ok!

    Now we know all your secrets!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You had me going for a moment on the gadget question...LOL I always love your answers!!!

    We have a Galileo thermometer, too, and we think it's neat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome decoration and for 50% discount that is a steal. ^_^

    Watery Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting pics - glad you told me what I was looking at!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Anni, I've enjoyed catching up with you this morning! Love those moody thermometer pictures. Call me crazy, but I love a good vacuum cleaner ... my favorite object; as long with a good wine. I guess I just like it when things work as they should. Know what I miss? That old yellow rubber jar opener that we'd get for going to a Tuppperware party.

    Glad to see that things are going fine in Texas!

    Take care,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love #8!!!!
    We love playing Uno also when we get together.
    I have seen them in Hobby Lobby and they just are amazing but like you said very expensive.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVED your answers and have added myself to your list of stalkers, um, followers. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Anni I love those thermometers and I'm quite sure I could be hypnotized by them.
    We went to the farmer's market yesterday...to buy collards for T-giving. I cleaned and cooked 9 lbs of collards. They are delicious and are now in the freezer awaiting T-giviing.
    I like #8.
    C

    ReplyDelete
  21. As always....another superb post. The pictures of the thermometers are awesome...I have never heard of them. Now, let me have some fu with the question you answered: As for my grandparents, they were all dead by the time I was up and about. My mother was in her mid 40’s when I was born. No family portraits here...used to play bridge, canasta...now I play solitaire on and off the computer...I most enjoy using my LIGHT weight hammer - love smacking the little nails into the old walls...patriotism means having a love for my country and always putting my hand over my heart when the national anthem is played...impatience is the bane of my existence....I want everything done just so-so and done yesterday. I am a big mess! genie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, You!!
    I just loved all your answers....and I've seen those thermometers but didn't know that's what they were.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  23. I knew what it was right away since I've had one for the last few years:-) I had gotten it for Christmas one year and think it's so cool! Good deal on getting yours for half price.

    Aw man, my mind must be in the gutter with yours because as soon as I read the first question, dildo is what I thought of! LOL We're soooo bad! I wish I could say that we don't have to use our furnace in the wintertime but unfortunately it runs almost non-stop all winter long. Sigh. Very expensive!! I need to move to a warmer place. lol

    I love playing cribbage, I remember my dad teaching me how to play it when I was a young pre-teen.

    As for "making whoopie" and a "whoopie cushion"...that's something I never thought of and now it will be on my brain all evening!!!! lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete

.