“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






I saw three ships come sailing in....


click Macro button to join




MACRO MONDAY




I'm sharing a couple of HANDMADE macros today!! I cropped a couple of images taken during a foreign ship arrival on Mustang Island a couple of years back. I then 'blurred' the part of the image I didn't want 'enhanced' and sharpened the section I wanted to become 'macro'...these two images are the results. Both are ships' rigging and line [rope]. While on the other flip side of these images, I thought I'd share the originals in smaller pixel size to show the difference made through my paintshop pro program:







MONDAY MORSELS


And to continue with the subject at hand; Mustang Island, here, off the Texas coast that is so nearby our home/city, I thought I'd expand on the area a bit. The history. If you follow my blog and read my posts often, you'll know that I really am quite taken with this area of Aransas...if it weren't for the full force of hurricanes and tidal surge threats in the summer and autumn months, I'd LOVE living here!!! So, we drive over very often to enjoy the friendly atmosphere when we can. In the small vacationer's spot, called Port Aransas...in the town itself along the main road leading to and from the automobile ferry that takes you across from the island to Aransas Pass, Texas, there is an historical marker placed. When Bud and I were taking in all the tourist 'rip-off shops' souvenir shops, I walked over to the local museum and took the photo of the marker that tells all who are interested...the small history of how Port "A" and Aransas Pass came into being what it is today. Speaking of the museum, it was closed the day we were there last, so we'll return and go through the museum. It's fairly new, and has a little bit of history of the Lydia Ann Lighthouse [now privately owned] that you can see from the ship's channel and from across the yachting area nearby...I have a photo from 'town' to the lighthouse and will share that sometime soon. The marker photo can be enlarged for more reading ease; opening in a new window---

31 comments :

  1. Oooh, VERY nice! I like those!

    I also love the originals. Such beautiful compositions, and gorgeous, sunny weather, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to read the other part! It does sound lovely, but hurricanes and tidal surges are not very encouraging, are they? I often wonder why people choose to live in such places, but I suppose it's a question of weighing up the pros and cons and taking the risk. Or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your macro shots - as you know I'm a fan of nautical things. I would like that island too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! Annie! Great pictures. I'm sorry to say we never got to visit Mustang Island when we would visit Ron's mother in Corpus Christi! Have a wonderful week and thank you for the glimpse of the island! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. A bit blurred but yes thats worth a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love the rope!

    Have a great week, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I took the ferry there once a few years ago. It was fun. Love the macro shots! I like that you gave us the before shots to compare. I'm just beginning to play around with photoshop. It's fun, but frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like what you did with the pulley picture. Neat to see the berfore and afters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice...the rope in the first picture looks like it has metallic in it.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  10. great macros...like the edits you made.
    Mustang Island sounds like a very interesting place. Life there must be very laid back!!! Great place to visit and take photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shots!! I'd love to visit the Island too. Thanks for visiting my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband and I visited Port A and Padre Island a few years ago. We enjoyed the area very much. Good job on your macros.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool Anni, and I like the uncropped shots too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the photos and what you did with them! I'll have to tell Birdie to visit some of the places you have mentioned while she's living in Texas. She probs won't love living inland since she was born and raised right here on the coast!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice and special photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like what you did. It looks great. But, the first oen is my favourite. I like the colors and mix of metal and leather, at least I think it is that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting details and good work:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful composition Anni. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Neat photos, Anni! The historical marker (when I was a child, traveling with my siblings and mother, we called them "hysterical" markers!) is interesting, but it doesn't mention the weather...

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mustang Island certainly does have quite the history behind it! It always amazes me what settlers went through and how the wars affected them as well. It sounds like a wonderful place to visit, can't beat island charm:-)

    Your macro shots are wonderful! It's always fun manipulating a photo with a paint shop program.

    It's so humid here today, I feel like a wet noodle! lol Always takes me a few days to recover after coming home from a trip. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good idea with the macros !
    Who is this lady in your new blog outfit ?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very creative work Anni!

    Happy Macro Monday

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great photos Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very nicely done! I do miss Mustang Island. :( Thanx for sharing it with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very nice Annie!! Always fun to try some new way of doing things. Sometimes you get a very unexpected and interesting result. Mustang Island--sounds like a great place to visit and spend some "tourist bucks" on treasures found in those Gift Shops. Have a great week. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! Your macros are brilliant! Aransas must be a very interesting place. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  27. try using the gaussian blur on the sections u dont want sharp, the macro comes out better. Good try...

    Pheno Menon

    ReplyDelete

.