my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




How did you spend the 1st day of Summer?



Click
Wordless Outdoor Wordful Watery to Join


...here's what I did.
I couldn't stand it...
I had to get to the beach.




The new addition to Bob Hall Pier [the only one of its kind along the Texas Coastline] is finished and the city big-whigs were planning a ribbon cutting ceremony ... a prequel to its grand opening of the newest extension. An open pier, covered, and a dining patio of the local restaurant there [Barnacle Bill's]. But, not without some delays. One big delay...back in January of this year...you see, the new pier collapsed during construction. read here. It has two tanks filled with live seafood...your choice if you wish to eat, burgers, beer and wine served, two flat screen televisions for entertaining, movies, etc. Also enough area for live entertainment. Still, I was determined to get out there and get my feet wet yesterday. Luckily there was a small craft cautionary wind advisory. But for us land-lubbers, we enjoyed the refreshing wind to keep the body a bit cooler. Bud and I walked the new refurbished pier too. Tho, at the end, I was beginning to think I was going to get MORE than my feet wet. When the muddied, churning waves broke against the stanchions, the pier was wobbling!!! But, silly me, I continued to watch the waves breaking and the fishermen taking advantage of the currents. While walking the distance to get to the end, one lady caught on her line a small shark...but her husband, cut it off, and threw it back in the water. The sandy beaches were somewhat crowded, but after looking around the newly built pier and walking the shore for a short while, we got back into the car and headed to the grocery store. We needed...guess what? CAT FOOD!!

Here are more photos on and off the pier...looking DOWN into the water for some...while others are looking toward Old Mexico...south, into the Gulf. Another is of Bud...the old salt that he is, in deep thought of his Navy days, I'm sure!! The sea was quite murky and muddy brown for the most part. There are several tropical disturbances out in the Caribbean so I'm sure that's what is churning up the Gulf's floor!!













32 comments :

  1. nice way to spend the day, wobbles and mud notwithstanding. i envy you your heat at the moment, since we obviously just hit the midst of winter here... can't IMAGINE putting my feat in water right now, hee hee heee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of a better way to spend a summer day. It reminds me so much of when we had our condo at Daytona Beach Fl. There was a very similar pier/fishing/resturant,,only it was much smaller. Coastal living is so much more relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a PERFECT day!!! And guess what?! I had to go to the store too!.. for cat LITTER!! LOL! Can't imagine the woman catching a SHARK! I think if it were me, I would have thrown my whole fishing pole in the water, and ran for the hills! (0; Have a great SECOND day of Summer Anni!! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Water! Water! Such great water pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make me want to scoot over to the island. Until I step outside and feel like a heavy, wet, wool blanket is draped over me from the humidity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that first of five shot of the waves bubbling up and crashing, great capture! Thank you for stopping by my blog and for your oh so lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shark? There are sharks there? The current seem strong. Wobbling pier with sharks underneath. You are a risk taker!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely pics, Anni...
    Thanks for visiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like so much fun what a perfect way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was sheltering from the heat and would have loved to go to the beach. Lovely shots with the waves giving such lovely texture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i like the photo with the waves crashing! i can only imagine how hot it must be there, we live right across the gulf from you and going to the beach is the only relief you can get outside. enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful!!! It looks like the waves are a little on the rough side.
    It is funny I spend the day trying to stay warm and dry and you are out there in that water.LOL
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. We have an unfinished pier near me - it has been delayed indefinitely and is about 3 years behind schedule due to construction accidents and lawsuits... all very disheartening. Yours sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. the beach is always a great place to spend time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good choice! I love your photos looking down into the water. Such lovely patterns in the surf.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoa! What a wave!

    Enjoy your summer!

    Thanks for visiting my Watery Wednesday entry

    ReplyDelete
  17. that is my kind of place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great beach photos, Anni! The water looks so inviting. I love both shots of the pier.

    ReplyDelete
  19. YAY Anni! Terrific beach shots! Hope you had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous pictures Anni and boy are you lucky to live near the ocean. I get we'll see more pics of the pier in the near future.
    Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely splashing photos!! Thank you for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Annie I had to work.....sigh .....and I live near the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I live far away from the sea so I always enjoy seeing pictures of the sea/beaches! Excellent photos! Loved reading the details about the Bob Hall pier.

    And thanks for visiting!:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I so would lovw to be there and feel the ocean in my toes. Enjoy your life:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful place to be, Anni, and I love your photos, but I'd be rather nervous about a shaky pier.
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh wow, what a wonderful way to spend the first day of summer. I love all of your shots of the ocean. Want to trade? I spent the better part of the day mowing my lawn and other yard work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful photos, Anni. Love to visit the beach too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I sure wish I had been standing next to you getting my feet wet as well on the first day of summer! lol That's quite the pier project but not sure I'd enjoy feeling the pier wobble beneath my feet! Yikes!! Beautiful pictures as always, dear Anni. I didn't do very much on the first day of summer, it was pouring rain so I just stayed put and watched a couple of movies on dvd that I hadn't seen yet. Raining again today and no end in sight until at least Sunday. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the shots. Makes me really want to try to hit the beach this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely shots ... wish the summer would come here too!

    Irene

    ReplyDelete

.