“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Along the bay, she stands tall and proud---


[CLICK BUTTON TO JOIN]







Corpus Christi is heavily influenced by the Mexican American cultures. This bigger than life iconic display you'd see along Shoreline Boulevard near the seawall and the bay, is a tribute to Selena Perez [best known as Selena]. In the 90s she was hailed as the Best Latin Artist-Singer of the decade. Selena was born in Texas, her death, murdered by a fanatic president of her fan club in Corpus Christi, prompted then Governor of Texas, George Bush [president Bush], to declare her birthday, April 12, Selena Day. She was 23 when she was killed. This bronze statue is visited by thousands yearly...it commemorates her stature, and since her tragic death and young life and success...a tribute to the Latin, Mexican society. The shadows are from the gazebo structure's roofing....from here, you can look out to the southeast toward the sparkling bay. [Where Selena is looking]


SELENA "A YEAR WITHOUT RAIN"





- - -<><><>- - -



SUNDAY'S SUMMARY



I finished reading Jeff Dunham's Autobiography, "All by My Selves". It was a very good book. A couple of faux pas's in the editing that bugged me....LOL, but all in all a great, fun, read. I especially enjoyed the comments from the "Peanut" Gallery along with Walter, José on a Steeeek[stick], Achmed and of course, my favorite these days, PEANUT...along with others. It was filled with humor, sadness, love of his family and daughters, story telling of how he became what he is and where he is today. Some great items of what he's gone through in his days since childhood and being adopted...and TEXAN!! There was one particular section, just a couple of pages, that really made me laugh...page 318 to 320, where he tells of his entourage landing at an airport, being diverted because of heavy fog...it entails a group of U S Marines and what 'went down' when they disembarked from the jet on an airfield that was a 'no no' and filled with troops. I swear it almost made ME pee my pants. If you get a chance to go to a bookstore, sit down at the coffee cafe and grab a book from the bookshelf and turn to page 318...right after the microphone icon---read it, it'll have you LOL!!! I recommend this book for it's delightful storytelling. Just do like me when you come upon the editing flubs...grrrrr a little, and wonder how these editors actually get paid mucho bucks and miss something that is so obvious and then, move on to continue reading!! And...
I started reading what was recommended to me over the holidays, I went and purchased Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. The person that recommended it to me knows my love of English History, and said to me "If you like King Henry VIII stuff and church's controversies of his reign, you'll probably really enjoy this book". I'm game...I'll try reading it. :o)


- - -

During the cold and damp days we've been having the past week, Bud and I sat down and watched a DVD we had purchased over the holidays and just now taking some time to watch it. "How to Train Your Dragon". Sweet sweet movie. I'd highly recommend it to anyone. I fell in love with Toothless just as Hiccup did!! It's a feel good movie, a great one for kids and adults alike. Out of the world animation and art. [I still can't get over the progress in animation these days from when I was a kid]. And the music is just too awesome. Yes, I tend to pay probably more attention to music in a movie than I should. Probably. Oh, and the girl [love interest]? ----Astrid? ----reminded me of me. [insert wink here]

35 comments :

  1. I think I've seen that statue..very interesting. We have some FABULOUS bronze models here in Lubbock. This is the home of the world famous sculptor (sp), Glenna Goodacre. I did a post on her last year. If you don't know her work, google it. She is so amazing.

    Glad you enjoyed the book..and the dvd.
    Stay dry..
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  2. peanut ROCKS!!!!!! he's the cutest thing ever!!!

    and that's quite a statue... so sad the story behind it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's neat that they have that statue of Selena there. I remember when she was killed; quite a few years now!
    I love Jeff Dunhum. His characters are so funny and I'm sure this book would be too.
    We watched How to train your Dragon last week. I remarked about the progress in animation too. It was really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how the sun just falls on her face, and those shadows over her head, whatever they are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost rented Pillars of Reign last night, I too am an English history nut...so sad about Selina, so many tragedies in this old world!

    Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anni,

    What a great post! I didn't even know about Selena, and I enjoyed your reviews.

    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving me your encouraging comments! I love your blog and am now a follower. I'll post you under my "Photography Blogs" on the sidebar. I am so excited to be meeting all of you photographers as of late. I am ready to learn more about the art of taking pictures.

    Take care,

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anni,
    I enjoy your posts very much. Thanks for the video of Selena. I recall her tragic death in that plane crash; another promise never realized and that's so sad. that's a lovely tribute to her in the statue. and great shadow shots too; great composition in your photos! Thanks for the book review. I was gifted a Kindle for Xmas and it's become one of my favorite possessions. Choosing my next book to download has become almost as much fun as the reading. I love getting recommendations, and I'm going to look into Pillars of the Earth as I recently watched The Tudors (it's still currently running so I only watched the episodes out on disc from Netflix as I don't have Showtime) and I am very interested in edifying myself more deeply about the church and state issues during Henry VIII's reign. I loved those shows I did watch and am awaiting the next season as I think they are really well done.
    have a beautiful week Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your shadow shot is cool. Thanks for visiting mine. See you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...but the memory of Selena don't stand in the shadow ;-)
    I'll find her at YouYube!

    My letter arrived quickly - I posted it Monday afternoon. When I send snailmail to my brother in San Antonio, it usually takes 6-8 days. In the 1970's it was usually 14-16 days.
    You shall be very welcome to mention your luck etc. exactly as you want it; why should I mind :-D
    Sunday is quite OK, I hope the same for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Miss Becky Selena didn't die in a plane crash...she was murdered by bullets

    ReplyDelete
  11. anjoe Your package arrived quickly in comparison then. Wow. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post today Anni... Loved the staue of Selena. A tragic death indeed! I'll be sure to check out that movie... I love the animated movies. They are not only great for kids but adults as well.
    {{{HUGS}}}
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  13. I watched Selena's movie long time ago, when I did not know much about her. But the story is completely stuck to my head and I don't think I will forget that tragedy.
    I did not know that there is a statue of her. Well, she deserves it.
    Thanks for sharing and commenting on my blog.
    Yoshi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting shadow shot - and nice to hear more about the statue. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Annie! You are so right about us Grannies having to stick together. I'll check out your other blog and give you a shout out on here soon. I think I will combine my new followers post into once a week ... assuming I get some more!

    I really am just learning photography too, since I got my new camera last year. Before, I did the best I could with point, shoot and crop. Now I am more familiar with all the cool things that my camera itself does.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  16. The statue has a very interesting facial expression! A very interesting person! And love the soft shadows behind her!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for your memory of Selena - I don't know how she escaped my attention. What a tragedy! It is a timely reminder of the prevalence of guns in the wrong hands. That the congresswoman is surviving is a miracle - let us hope that she will live to continue her
    inspired work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful shadow composition!

    Love Jeff Dunham too..... LOL... I Kiilllll you!!

    http://fredamans.blogspot.com/2011/01/tn-shadow-shadow-shot.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sad...but lovely SS. Happy Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like how you caught her without her face in the shadow. Thanks for the history on this, too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A lovely monument bathed in light and shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That was a sad story about Selena. It is always tragic when people are killed, especially young ones. That book sounds like it is very interesting. I have not seen the dragon one, only the previews. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful...
    Have a good week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love her music and such a sudden and tragic end to her life.
    What a beautiful tribute to her by way of the statue (and a bonus for he shadow shot).

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your shadow shots and enjoyed reading the information about Selena Perez. Thanks for sharing that! I hope you have a wonderful week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful shadow and the status is really pretty; I love the patina is it developing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. we were just talking about Selena last week. I love that girl and her music.

    Thank you for visiting my SSS post and for your wonderful comment :)

    I don't know if you know this but I know you already and we usually visit each other blog through Unconscious mutterings, that was a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I saw Selena the movie and I am so impressed by her talent. She is really a good artist. About the book by Ken Follett, Pillars of the Earth, you gonna love it. It has I think 900 pages but each page is a turner. I love it!! Happy reading and keep warm!
    Scenic Sunday Shadow

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful statue of Selena! Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  30. i've seen the movie on selena several times and always enjoyed it. very nice statute. very nice shadow shot!

    ReplyDelete
  31. hello Anni! I was fortunate (?) to attend the Selena Gomez concert last fall with my daughter, her friend, and thousands of screaming girls :) Enjoyed reading about Selena Perez's statue & it's shadow! Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a beautiful statue for shadow shot sunday. I watched the You Tube clip, she was a beautiful girl with a great talent.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Summer Kitchen ---Selena Gomez is NOT this Selena...this Selena is long dead, her name was Selena PEREZ

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have been wanting to read Jeff Dunham's book and now I will just have to get it! So sad, the reason for the beautiful statue. I've watched and loved How to Train Your Dragon and reviewed on my blog Adventures in a Not So Unusual Life. I enjoyed this blog post immensely! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

.