my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


I'm the great white hunter....shooting with a lens------



Click either button to Join


Last week, we took the day to go bird watching. From now until late December, sometimes staying here 'til March, most of the migratory birds start showing their wings/faces in our territory. The coastal areas of the state of Texas is an ideal place to be during these months. The colors, the variety, the luck of finding a particular species from the books and pamphlets...well, it's exciting to the both of us to actually find and have a chance to photograph them. With some photos I make hard copies, while others I add to my photo blog. Still, the rest of the many photos I take end up here on my personal blog. We traveled along the coastal highways and little towns that are nestled along the sand barriers of the Gulf, stopping at many of the 'special' spots. We were lucky to find one listed on the migratory bird list that is dubbed "Mu" which means in the abbreviated language of bird watching---Migratory and Unusual...the "Mu". Bud and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. The two of us had climbed the high watch tower that is about 30 to 40 feet above one of the particular water sanctuaries set up for the waterfowl and as we were searching through the binoculars, through my peripheral vision I spotted a pair flying into the high growing reeds. While one landed, the other turned and flew back toward us and landed on the wooden walkway that we take to get to the watch tower. Tho we were many yards in length away from it, I zoomed in on him ---


A LITTLE BLUE HERON Egretta caerulea


The Little Blue Heron [not to be confused with the Great Blue Heron] comes to winter and nest along the Gulf of Mexico. Their eggs are also blue. And it's the only heron that the young are totally different color when first hatched...being white with the green coloration on their legs/feet. Turning the shades of blue as they mature.

- - -






TOP TWO PHOTOS: Brown Pelicans
LEFT: Black Cormorant
BELOW: White Pelicans [wing span of 70"] & brown pelican in flight
BOTTOM: Black Coot & Shoreline birds






This area is also known for alligators, very 'swampy' and it is a protected area for wildlife. Many come from all over the world to be here to try their luck at 'shooting' birds!! The time we spent here on this particular Tuesday, we saw cars from Ontario, Ohio, Louisiana, Texas[of course], Pennsylvania, and a couple from the states of Old Mexico that I can't remember how to spell. LOL These were all within our own car's vicinity. I couldn't believe the number of other fanatics birders there; already, so early in the migratory season!!! Also, I posted last week, a cute little photo of a Seagull, preening. The link to this photo is HERE.

43 comments :

  1. Sometimes do you feel like Jane Hathaway? LOL You make even me want to go bird watching I tell ya. Rangers only need One! WOOT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Texas Gulf Coast IS a fabulous birding place; nice pix -- and your knowledge puts this casual birder to shame. Tx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you sure know where to be at what time... love the heron's!!! interesting about their colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lovely post and your birds in flight! photos are beautiful. hugs from me! Lee-ann in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hunt the same way - with my camera! The blue Heron spends it's summers here. We don't see them a lot, but often if we go to the river we will see one. They are beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely phots u got here anni:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic shots! Looks like they're enjoying the water and the weather. I am envious with your shots as I find it so difficult to photograph birds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful bird photos! I like watching the birds by the water..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hootin Anni, thanks for visiting my blog. I know the Red River photo was taken in Bossier City, the first photo of the Mississippi River was taken near Jackson (I think) but I don't know where the last photo was taken. My son is out of town right now so I can't confirm with him.

    Really, people come from that far away to bird watch? Pelicans are amazing birds to watch. Once in a while we get brown pelicans on the North Saskatchewan River here in Alberta. Their wingspan is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Miss Anni keep a light on...Mom said she is coming down for a visit.
    Just wanted to you know!!!
    Hugs,
    Madi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shirley Well, I think a lot of the out of state cars are here for either vacationing, or being here for the winter....the 'snowbirds'. Or Winter Texans is what they're called. Some people, a lot of people, choose to spend their winters here in South Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos, your getting me excited to go down to Ga for the winter, I get to see all of these birds there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How lucky you are to see so many migratory birds. So different from ours. We are begining to see a few diferent ones, but it has been sparce this year.
    Have a happy rest of the week.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  15. So nice. Haven't seen like these cutees in real.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What fun that would be to see this many different birds.
    I know you love living in CC...such a magical place. We love visiting there and PA...
    Thanks for sharing these great photos..
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love bird watching...although I do it in my backyard most of the time;0) Your pics are beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
    ~Holly

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can only see those beautiful birds in photos hu!Hu!Hu! anyways, I do love the shots. I like birds. have a nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photos! I will be back as my girls and I do bird studies (homeschoolers) quite often.

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow! awesome shots....:) thanks for dropping by...glad to be here...:)

    I like your layout...so hallowenish....:)

    Glad to know you are a fellow Texan...we just moved here from Cali a couple of months ago...:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never seen a blue Heron...or a Cormorant out of the water.Thanks for sharing..I'd love to be able to stroll there.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for sharing this great bird watching event with us. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The blue heron is beautiful! Thanks for sharing. La

    ReplyDelete
  24. That little blue heron is really little!

    http://fredamans.blogspot.com/2010/10/wordless_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. My first time to see a blue heron it's beautiful!! I think here in MI we are done birding activity but the deer season is open. Happy Thursday!
    The Lake

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great pictures, Anni. What a fun day. We have many more white pelicans this year than I've ever seen. They must have spread the word that our lake is a good place to spend the winter. Unfortunately, much of our lake has gone over to Greeley to water the crops over there - usually happens in early summer, not almost autumn. Hope the water comes back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh how wonderful it must be to be able to find such spots where you can see all types of birds! I would so love to spend my days just bird watching, I find them all fascinating. What luck that you got to see that little blue heron pair. A lot of our birds have now flown south but the Mourning Doves tend to stay here year round and I counted 24 of them in the yard this morning.

    I just finished putting primer on the living room walls and painting the ceiling...now it feels like my arms are gonna fall off! lol I'm taking a break and thought what better way to spend it than by visiting you and catching up on your posts:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the glow they all emit!! I have quite a few Halloween decorations that need candles as well and many evenings I never turn the lights on, I just light all the candles. A great way to watch a horror movie as well! hehe xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  29. I did see the snake right away!! Isn't it amazing the shapes we can see in trees, clouds, etc.?

    I agree with you, all mines should have a "safe room" in case of a disaster. My dad worked underground for almost 30 years and he always had a fear of a cave in...he used to say the only place they'd have to go to was the little lunch room they had down there so he hoped that he was near it if ever anything happened. I watched the rescue of those miners and I can't even begin to understand what they went through down there for over 2 months!!!

    Ooooh you know me and cemeteries! lol Such wonderful gravestones and I loved reading the history behind that cemetery. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow!! I have never seen a little blue heron before! They do look different from the great blues! How do they compare in size?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sounds like you had a great time birding, Anni! The Little Blue Heron is one of my favorites. They are so pretty. Wonderful shots of the birds. Sometime I hope to take a birding vacation in Texas too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, don't see birds like that up here in the plains of TX! Beautiful shots. We only get Canadian Geese up here in Lubbock :=)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the little blue heron, Anni! Thanks for treat # 3 too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful birds and great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love your Outdoor Wednesday photos. Beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a great way to spend a day! I live in a bird sanctuary, but we don't really have that many interesting birds.

    ReplyDelete
  37. You took some great photos Anni, loved them all, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  38. LOL...No she was with Apes LOL

    ReplyDelete
  39. OMG HA your killing me here ROFLMAO!!! Maybe too much NCLS and ACLS in that noggin' of yours ROFLMAO!!! Yes she was the secretary to Mr. Drysdale on The Beverly Hillbillies and she was an avid bird watcher on the show. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  40. OH Crap and I'm killing myself LOL NLCS and ALCS ROFLMAO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Stopping by from Wednesday post. A little late, but glad I made it here. This is a great Wednesday post, with the water, outdoors and the animals.

    ReplyDelete

.