
click Macro button to join
Macro below...'news bulletin'...It started raining around 5 A.M. yesterday- heavily!!! Didn't stop the downpour until around 5 P.M.!!!! Twelve hours of rain...in buckets!!! There was flooding at our house. PICTURES TO FOLLOW on Wednesday, my day for "Watery Photos". The cable came back on early evening. We lost cable/power around 9 a.m.

Palamedes Swallowtail
More commonly known in the coastal areas as: Laurel Butterfly
one of the larger swallowtails.
Difficult to photograph as he wouldn't light long enough on any of the Lantana Blossoms...wings are fluttering.
Note: My Monday Morsels is long-winded. Since October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I have been seriously reading up on cancer lately; just for educating myself on the subject which I like to do. And my post is about cancer treatments. If you'd like to skip over and leave me a note, now....
COMMENT HERE
- - -<><><>- - -
MONDAY MORSELS
If you recall, last Monday I had posted a link about a certain fruit that is supposed to be a 'cure' for cancer. I also left the link in my post for others who may be interested. Well....one comment left for me was one that may be misconstrued as controversy. I on the other hand appreciated it immensely.
- Well, I hate to put a damper on your enthusiasm about soursop, but the reason why there is little media coverage about this plant is that there is little scientific evidence that it does cure cancer. In fact, scientific research shows that one of the chemicals from soursop (an acetogenin known as annonacin) is quite toxic to human cells. Now, this may kill cancer cells, but it also damages healthy cells, blocking cellular respiration, causing cell death. There is also evidence that it can lead to Parkinson disease-like symptoms. So, I would be very wary about following this type of advice. Many plant (i.e. "natural") chemicals are just as, if not more, dangerous than man made drugs - think nicotine or strychnine. Just because something is natural does not make it safe. If you are interested in what the UK Cancer Agency has to say, go here - http://www.usefultipsforlife.com/soursop-alternative-chemo-treatment
OK, I am getting down off my soapbox now......
- From the Top Ten Cancer Centers in America I read in part---Side effects of chemotherapy:
- # Bone marrow suppression
# Nausea and vomiting
# Hair loss
# Appetite loss and weight changes
# Taste changes
# Sores in the mouth or throat
# Constipation
# Diarrhea
# Fatigue
# Heart damage
# Nervous system changes
# Changes in thinking and memory
# Lung damage
# Reproduction and sexuality
# Liver damage
# Kidney and urinary system damage
with long term damage being:
Permanent organ damage
Certain chemotherapy drugs may permanently damage the body's organs. If the damage is detected during treatment, the drug is usually stopped, depending on which organs are affected and how serious it is. However, some of the side effects may remain. Damage to some organs and organ systems, such as the reproductive system, may not show up until after chemotherapy is finished.
Delayed development in children
When young children receive chemotherapy for cancer treatment, it may affect their growth and their ability to learn. Several factors impact long-term side effects, including the age of the child, the specific drugs that are given, the dosage and length of treatment, and whether chemotherapy is used along with other types of treatment, such as radiation.
More information on this and other long-term side effects that specifically impact children can be found in our document, Childhood Cancer: Late Effects of Cancer Treatment.
Nerve damage
Nervous system changes can develop months or years after treatment with some drugs. Signs of nerve damage may include hearing loss or tinnitus (ringing in the ears), changes in sensation (feeling) in the hands and feet, personality changes, sleepiness, impaired memory, shortened attention span, and seizures.
Blood in the urine
Hemorrhagic cystitis (blood in the urine), a side effect of cyclophosphamide and ifosfamide, can continue for some time and even worsen after the drug is stopped. Treatment is available for this problem.
Another cancer
Stats from www.cancer.org
- - - -
Now, the information I gathered about the fruit of which I posted the link last week...
From Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer site comes this:
- Graviola [soursop fruit]
Graviola may cause movement disorders and myeloneuropathy with symptoms similar to Parkinson's disease
[no long term studies have been done on humans....
- - -
From searching Cancer Centers...
MD Anderson
"Your search - graviola - did not match any documents.
No pages were found containing "graviola".
Suggestions:
* Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
* Try different keywords.
* Try more general keywords."
- - -
From John Hopkins Cancer Center
Asked Publicly Submitted Question
7/22/2010 Is it true that products of Graviola tree is effective in cancer prevention?
Replied JHU's Breast Center Reply
7/22/2010 there needs to be more formal evidence based medicine studies conducted through comprehensive cancer centers (ones that are NCI designated as such) to determine this.
Then, I did research on her point taken...the use of 'natural' grown drugs...nicotine and strychnine [and added a link to medicinal marijuana]:
NICOTENE FACTS you don't know...
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/facts-about-nicotine-you-might-not-know.html
http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/drugs-alcohol/nicotine-health-benefits.htm
Strychnine was prescribed in small dosages - recorded medical ledger from the Victorian era
http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/161/12/1556
Medicinal Marijuana Pros and Cons
http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/
Concluding, I'd once again post it's all very interesting and should be researched thoroughly and of course, use your personal actions only. For me, if cancer were the issue, and the fruit may cause Parkinson's like symptoms...the question would be is this reaction to symptom-like side effects fatal as is the majority of cancers?
Was Noah in the neighborhood by chance? LOL That's a lot of rain I tell ya. :) What a great informational post my friend. I always go away from here deep in thought and I so appreciate that. Thanks for sharing :) Have a great week ahead :)
ReplyDeleteLove macro shots and I LOVE butterflies!
ReplyDeleteVery interesting! I'd never heard of soursop until you posted about it. I think the point you raised is valid.
ReplyDeleteYou sure did get a lot of rain! Looking forward to tomorrow's pictures.
The butterfly is gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteRe the cancer portion. My boss is currently having chemo for breast cancer which has metastasized and is or has experienced all of the side effects listed. This has been going on for about 3 years now. It's really hard watching her struggle.
All very useful reading. What I would like to know about is how certain people (like Steve Jobs with most severest of cancers) are managing to survive. Where did they go for their treatment and what treatment protocols were given? Reading about survivors would be
ReplyDeletemost interesting.
Great shot, you were lucky to capture this little flitter. I have yet to get a shot of a butterfly this season.
ReplyDeleteNice photo af the butterfly!
ReplyDeleteLovely!
ReplyDeleteThe butterfly is just beautiful ! The once I saw here this year looked pale like moths !
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about the heavy rain and the flooding in your house ! Hope you don't have big damages !
Such a beautiful butterfly for Mellow Yellow Monday!
ReplyDeleteSandy
From the Heart of Texas
This is a wonderful butterfly picture!
ReplyDelete:) They are hard to photograph-but well worth the effort!
Junie
Hi Anni! I thought you might be interested to check a helpful article on cancer by Dr. William Donald Kelley: www.drkelley.com
ReplyDeleteHi Anni....yes I have read Dewey!! Loved it.
ReplyDeleteHave your read the book about Alex the African Gray Parrot? His vocabulary was amazing... and he actually used the words in the correct context. Excellent book.
Madi and Mom
Lovely butterfly!
ReplyDeletei think it's better to research and be opened minded, I actually learn something from your post thanks!
ReplyDeletenice capture of the Laure Butterfly
Love your shot of the butterfly for Macro Monday :)
ReplyDeleteI didn't know about the benefits or harmful effect of the soursop, but these fruits are easily available in Asia and quiet well liked.
ReplyDeleteLovely photos Anni ;o)
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comment on my Macro Monday pic!
Thanks for sharing sweetie.
ReplyDeleteI never saw even one black swallowtail this year so I am very, very jealous. :)
ReplyDelete