my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Days of long ago, etched on my mind...


click either button to join

AND


[linked each week below]


6 Word Saturday

MEMORIES ABOUND TODAY, of Easters Past

- - -<><><>- - -


CAMERA CRITTERS
[Happy 2nd Anniversary to Misty Dawn and the C C participants!!]


In my youth I remember the Saturday before Easter. We, as a family, were always very busy. First thing was cooking three dozen eggs for coloring and the Easter egg hunt. Mom would get up early and begin preparing the large meal for the time after church [we'd always go to the outdoor Easter Sunrise Services if weather permitted...other times when snowy we'd go to the first service at church...now that I'm older I think those sunrise services were the best, but when I was a youngster I couldn't help but dislike it 'cause I was always losing sleep getting up so darned early. I was 'who cares about driving in the dark just to go to a church service; I want my sleep'] Anyway, back to Saturday before Easter - Mom would prepare all she could the day before. The family had a traditional get together at my folks' house. My three brothers and their families. My sister, myself, mom and dad. Sometimes we had visiting relatives that were staying with us. It was time to peel and boil potatoes for a huge amount of potato salad. She'd whip up some of her infamous cole slaw. We'd help anywhere we could. Like making up a lot or raw vegetables for a relish dish. Scour and clean the sweet potatoes for roasting on the grill. Dad was in charge of getting the fowl ready for the following morning. And preparing the ham for roasting. Things like that. The food at the table was always a royal setting. Then, when all the preparations for the meal were complete and dishes were washed, dried, and put away...out came the cups and vinegar and egg dye for coloring Easter eggs.And, color we did. We'd put the paper tattoos on them, we'd write on them with the special wax crayon, with a few of them we'd dip half of the egg in one color while holding it to have the dye take. When that was done we'd flip the egg and hold it in another color to make them striped. Sometimes, my Dad would get into the act with us and he'd always marbleize them. We'd end up with 36 eggs to hide. After the services and breakfast out, and once home again on Easter Morning around 10 a.m. or so, the eggs were always already hidden around the land. My folks had a huge acre lot for the back yard. Sometimes there was snow on the ground...while other times it was warm enough outdoors to be out there coat-less. It was all fenced in and one great place to hide 'em. I was the youngest of the children, so I got a chance to hunt the eggs with all my nieces and nephews and cousins. Each of us had a wicker basket to carry our finds. A few times the adults would get into the hunt too. It was no big deal...just the thrill of the hunt and spying one hidden in the grass or in the arm of a tree branch...up high, down low, and in between. Once all 36 were found, there was usually a stuffed rabbit or a feathery chick or a game to the one with the most eggs in their basket. The other kids would get a small container of assorted candies. Fun, fun memories. Games began afterward for us kids and the grown-ups would sit around, reminiscing mostly or keeping up with the current events. The huge meal was served up eventually...people all over the house at coffee tables, by tv trays and around the huge dining room table...we ate tons. It was a long, happy day for us all. I miss those days....I miss my parents a lot when the holidays come and go. It was always so festive.

The rabbit couple in their Easter Outfits are sitting on our dining room hutch.




- - -<><><>- - -

WEEKEND FUNNIES
...click here to join this week....



scanned comic strip used with granted permission:



Response from my email/copyright permission to post the comic:






POSTED: Saturday, April 3rd, 2010
1:00 A.M.




35 comments :

  1. Ha ha ha... Search Engine.. TOO FUNNY!
    Thank you so much for bring us jokes that is so simple yet funny!
    Thank you for your contribution.
    I will link you up...
    Happy Easter!
    I love you!
    hugs
    shakira

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun memories of your Easters as a child. I remember coloring eggs and using those tattoos too.
    Your rabbit couple are pretty cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. funny and cool,
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah...such good memories. Thanks for sharing. Those were the "good old days" for sure! It's interestng to think about hiding and hunting eggs with snow still on the ground. I can't imagine that since I live in the south. Easter Blessings, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very blessed & Happy Easter weekend to you too!

    What a great post & great blog! I'll be popping back to have another read through!

    Looking forward to *seeing* you again sometime too!

    XOXO LOLA:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the story of your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous looking bunny rabbit. I'm glad to know the tradition you do during easter. It's just nice to gather all the family together during this time. I love family gathering, i miss it now. I also remember when I was still on my country the catholic church tradition of easter you really need to get up early to attend the service.Love your story Ms. Anni.

    Happy easter..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Critter Day! Love your bunnies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol loved that, very funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your Easter memories. Happy Easter to you. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  11. very cute..................

    ReplyDelete
  12. You clearly enjoy Easter! Thanks for popping by to see Mine

    ps how do you do your black and red link buttons?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful post Anni

    Wish you a Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Easter to you and Bud, Anni. I, too, have fond memories of egg hunts on Easter Sunday. I hope you have a wonderful holiday...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good Morning Annie Sweetie...
    Oh I loved reading your sweet memories this morning. They are just beautiful. I can see all the eggs colored and laying about the yard, just waiting to be found.

    I can smell that potatoe salad being made, and ham too. Yum, yum. Isn't it something when we were kids, everyone helped and today you can't get anyone into the kitchen to help? I look around and everyone has gone outside. That is why this year, no cooking for me. We are going OUT. That is right OUT. I deserve to be pampered too. That is what we are doing. Yippeee. Skippeee. I'll let you know how that goes.

    Have a beautiful day sweet friend. Please know that you are so loved. Country hugs...Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the ceramic bunnies! Thanks for sharing your Easter memories. I lot of them are the same as mine. My kids aren't close and I'll miss them tomorrow but my Mom will be here to help cook! :)
    Have a blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My six words for you: Thanks for the "Search Injun" laugh!

    My Six Words
    Shadowy Toilet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My memories of Easter are much the same! Always hats and baskets and eggs! Happy Easter! He is risen; He is risen indeed!
    suchakingdom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anni, your first bunny reminds me of Little Bo Peep!

    Tink *~*~*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oops, meant to say that I love the comic! Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enjoyed your Easter memories and love your 'critters' ... thanks for sharing and for dropping by Small Reflections.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  22. What great memories of Easter. Love it. Love the comic. Too funny. You know in the pictures and stuff I post I always link back to where I get them from Google Images. I suppose I should write and get permission but I don't. So one of these days when I'm locked up in prison will ya bake me a cake with a file in it? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  23. Crap...where are my manners. Happy Easter to you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Back again my friend. I tried emailing you and it came back. Can you email me again pretty please with a chocolate bunny on top? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  25. Annie Your Bunnies are hootin tootin cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/2010/04/03/early-easter-awards-ceremony-creative-beautiful-inspirational/

    I honor you a beautiful blogger award,
    thank you for the excellence in art!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh families really do make the holiday times special. I can totally understand how you can mis those not around any more!
    Love your 6 words!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Too funny! Thank you for sharing. See you next week. Tam http://bloggingbradleys.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello there, Happy Resurrection day!
    Thanks for visiting my horsey blog .
    Did you make the pair of handsome rabbits?

    I know that the holidays may be tough, when you miss your beloved ones that have gone on before...the love does continue.
    Sending you hugs and prayers dear!
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for sharing your Easter memories. Happy Easter to you.

    sema

    ReplyDelete
  31. I loved hearing about your family and your traditions. I regret to say that I have never been to a Sunrise service. Clearly this is something I yet must do! Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for sharing your memories!

    ReplyDelete

.