“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Monday, July 6th, 2009
5:05 A.M.




Grace is hosting this week for Fun Monday. She asks:
    July 4th is US Independence day, for Fun Monday, please tell how you spend your Independence Day either this year or in the past. Do you have a July 4th funny story you would like to share? Do you have a family tradition for this day? For those who are not US residents, please tell us when your country’s independence day is and share with us how you celebrate/spend it. We would love some pictures too, you can share your stories in pictures too.


As I told her in my comment this week, that with us old farts, July 4th is really just another day. I decorate for the holiday. As I do all holidays. You can view my July 4th decor HERE [the link should open in a new window] This year, with the extreme drought conditions all neighborhood fireworks were banned. Hefty fines were issued [$300 to $1000] for ones reported setting them off near homes or in farming land]. We have several times since retiring...gone to the night light shows here ---they are super, but this year it was just way, WAY too hot to go anywhere outdoors. In the 100 degree range and that's without the heat index ratio...for our age, way too hot to enjoy.

Our city hosts a spectacular fireworks display off the permanently docked aircraft carrier. This year it was hosted by H * E * B. The show runs for about 40 to 50 minutes. It's near the ships' channel...and with the reflection off the gentle waving motion of the sea...it's more spectacular that words can describe.


[photos of the 2008 light show]

- - -

One year we were all up on the deck at my parents' house [about 20 feet off the ground], with the traditional icy cold watermelon after a huge beef rib, corn on the cob, potato salad BBQ...it was around 9:30 PM...and from the deck, you could look down into the valley, where the city is...and we saw all kinds of wonderful fireworks displays throughout the city. My two kids ooooooooooooo'ed and awwwwwwwww'ed. Eventually, it got to be a contest with the entire area of homes in the subdivision. In other words, the oooo's and awwwww's were heard throughout the entire area. It became a contest...who could do it the longest, and the loudest. It was funny. You had to be there.

Oh....I still have to have a watermelon for the 4th!!! Afterall, it's tradition.

26 comments :

  1. Those firework pictures are gorgeous! We had a different 4th because Bob had to work. Heather and I went to the park and took in some local festivities, then we got together with friends in the evening. We had watermelon too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather can really ruin an event. I remember one year our temps were 100 degrees on the 4th and we had to sit in the house to stay cool. I also enjoy decorating for the different holidays. It just hit me...we didn't have watermelon this year! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful fireworks my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fireworks the wonderful end to a wonderful day I am sure......love the 4th of July parades we see some down here in Australia on the tv.....how great is that. Lee-ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...I heard on the news that a number of cities had scaled back or canceled their fireworks because of the economic situation, but it never even occurred to me that a drought would put an end to the fireworks! It makes sense of course...but what a bummer. Thanks for the fabulous stories though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. we were hoping someone would have watermelon this year so we could give some to the baby, but no luck! she had a plum last night and seemed to really like that though!

    my post is up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Anni... Your pictures of the fireworks were awesome. We are up in White Springs, Fl now and on the fourth we went into Lake City for their Fireworks display. It is their 150 year celebration so there was a ton of things to do for kids... We have our granddaughter with us so she had big fun. Have a super day.

    (((HUGS)))
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll bet the neighborhood dogs appreciated the ban on neighborhood fireworks! For those cities lucky enough to have a waterfront better to leave the skyworks to the experts. That's what we do--and combine with a good country music concert. Hope you catch a break in the weather soon Anni. Even watermelon can't combat what you're dealing with.

    My Fun Monday post is up. For some reason I couldn't get signed on at Graces site this week. Stop by if you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anni,

    The photos of last year's light show are awesome. I enjoy fireworks. Sorry it was too hot for you and Bud to get out to see them.

    Have a great week, my friend.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had a watermelon too, but everyone was too full to cut into it when the time came!!! I wound up bringing it home and we'll be eating that this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree. It was just too hot to enjoy the outdoors. We usually have watermelon but forgot to buy one. Other than going over to Daughter's for a meal(hamburgers on the grill), we stayed home.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tour photos are lovely, Anni. Enjoy that watermelon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree. It was just too hot to enjoy the outdoors. We usually have watermelon but forgot to buy one. Other than going over to Daughter's for a meal(hamburgers on the grill), we stayed home.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  14. the ooooo and awwww is my kind of contest. What a fun way for a neighborhood to have fun

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that's really hot ! We had this temperature when we came home from Italy and it is so unusual for Belgium. I almost melted. Watermelon is delicious when it is hot. Once my son and husband ate a whole one and then they spent the whole night running to the toilet, lol ! It's not for nothing that it is called "Water" melon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We were very lucky this year as far as temperatures go on the 4th of July. We have a drought in So Cal, too, and currently have a fire raging in the Angeles National Forest.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was really hot here too. We did cook a brisket but pretty much stayed inside and watched TV.
    exciting huh?

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was super hot here too...today it's overcast and I am praying for rain...my grass is getting crispy!

    Love the photos of the fireworks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent photographs my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I cannot understand people who still let off fireworks when it's so hot and dry...it's like they WANT a fire to start! Geesh! Aren't neighbours funny, always wanting to outdo the other! lol When the boys were younger we used to always let off fireworks in the large field behind our place and we'd have half the neighbour coming to watch them...it would have been nice if they'd also bought a few fireworks!!! Our Science North center always has a Canada Day fireworks display and we used to go every year but not the last few years, just too much of a hassle trying to find a parking space. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the fireworks pictures, I tried to take some on Saturday night. thanks for playing Anni, I had a water melon too

    ReplyDelete
  22. We had a really cool 4th - with rain twice in the afternoon, leaving everyone to wonder if the show would go on. But typical of this crazy place, the sun came out, a beautiful rainbow appeared, and the fireworks were great.

    I finally got my post up, the flowers are yet to come.

    Love the new header. I went to a hootenanny on my first date, as I recall. It was the 60s, ya know.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow Anni! I checked out your 4th deco. and it is fabulous! You really do go all out! Good for you! I don't think I would want to venture out in that heat either to see the fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love fireworks over the water. Brisbane city is situated on both sides of a river and every time a fireworks display is featured, there's a barge on the water, one of the bridges is turned into a fireworks display as well as about 9 or 10 of the city skyscrapers. It's a fantastic display and is always featured on TV so that everyone can share the sight.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love fireworks displays. but having pups, i shy away from doing any of it myself.

    ReplyDelete

.