“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Wednesday April 22nd, 2009
12:04 A.M.


Join -Wordful Wednesday


Last Saturday for Bud's birthday I surprised him by taking him on a walking tour of a special place that he's been wanting to see. Granted, we have toured this before, about 7 or 8 years ago when we stopped by the city on a vacation...and as yet, living here in the city for nearly 5 years, we haven't gone back 'til this past weekend. It's more for tourists or WW II Naval enthusiasts, and oftentimes they hold special privileges to cub scout and boy scout troupes. It's always crowded. And quite a fascinating place to visit....

Enjoy the slide show video I composed and published with You Tube----
[if you click the enlargement option for full screen view you can read the small print on them better]





A photo tour of the USS Lexington Aircraft carrier of World War II era...now a museum permanently dry docked in Corpus Christi Harbor, Corpus Christi Texas. The Flight Deck, the Bridge, the bow, the stern, and a walking tour of sections of the ship that are open to the public. The USS Lexington is the first naval vessel to have female crewmembers aboard. Nicknamed the "Blue Ghost" by the legendary propagandist, Tokyo Rose....because it was not painted the typical camouflage paint of all the other U.S. aircraft carriers.

ALL IMAGES ARE COPYRIGHTED BY ME!
No copying or stealing allowed under United States Copyright Law.

36 comments :

  1. Very nice, enjoyed the video tour sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet Bud loved the tour. I loved your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great slideshow Anni!
    What a super way to keep a memento, and the music just right.

    Love Granny

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great bday "tourprise"!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's a cool surprise. thanks for sharing the tour with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I bet your husband was so thrilled! Loved the tour...glad you shared it! Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dad served on the Bunker Hill, another WWII carrier based in the Pacific. I would love for him to take this tour.
    Happy WW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Comes just at the right time. I have been reading a lot about WWII.
    When I was in college, the appearance of any man in the women's residence hall was heralded by a frantic "Man on the floor!!" Guess this is where it originated.
    Nice history lesson....thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love touring ships! I'm always amazed by how much they can fit into such cramped spaces. And it is never cluttered!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post. We have a battleship parked downtown, the USS Wisconsin. It's fun to visit, and an impressive site from the city street.
    Happy WW and Happy Earth Day to you!
    PS. LOVE the music :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Earth day. Wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey! yip, it's a holiday, hubby got up at 5.30 am, day 2 of not smoking, not saying anymore on that..., put in a new oven as the other one couldn't be fixed, had lots of tea, blogged and gonna read now. when hubby gets back from him run, we're gonna vote, the ques are shorted later in the day... whooooa, that's a long sentence *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice tour! My hubby and son would love that too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anni,

    What a beautiful slide show. I bet Bud loved the tour. Very interesting. I would love to take the tour.

    Your shots for Earth Day were magnificient. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Mar

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your pictures. I love our planet! I am so glad God created it! I am glad you had a special day with Bud on Saturday! Happy Birthday Bud : ).

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great video tour, it's interesting to see the other perspectives this week in history.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Earth Day, nice tour.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantsatic! And you were right the music is GREAT! Thank you for sharing. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Earth Day. The images that you took of the sky are amazing!

    Happy WW from Sara @ Mostly Wordless Wednesday HQ!

    ReplyDelete
  20. so lovely - thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is really neat...and clever! thanks for sharing and for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Earth Day to you too, dear Anni:-) Oh my, your pictures of Venus and the Moon are absolutely brilliant, I just can't get over how clearly you could see them!

    Wow, that carrier sure does have everything it needs on it! I can well imagine how much Bud enjoyed this tour. I gulped when I read the sign that says how much gasoline the ship carried!! Thoroughly enjoyed your pictures:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful rainbow ! and what a nice birthday surprise for Bud !
    I am a little late, some "spammer" from Taiwan had put in ALL my posts from 2006 on a mile long probably dirty comment in chinese ! there were more than 250 "comments" and it took me 2 h to delete them all !
    I am sure he increased my Google rank !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hurray for WW and your post.

    i have something very special that for the first time has been revealed on internet

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for commenting on my blog! Your captured pics are great!!

    I see from your blog that you love baseball! My grandfather was the Pitcher for the 1953 NY Giants!! I love baseball TOO!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the tour of the USS Lexington and the "Moonglow" music, Anni! Loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice gift for Bud, and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those are some great shots of the moon and venus!

    What a great clip of the USS Lexington. We also have an aircraft carrier docked here in Boston. The tour was really incredible. It really is like an entire town on those ships!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Have a wonderful Earth day.

    ReplyDelete
  30. loved the slide show! happy Earth day and WW!!! thanks so much for stopping by too :O)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice photo essay of venus and mars, I especially like the morning photo.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very nice post. Happy Earth Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great shot there! Whenever it is night time and I am outside, I will always try to look for Venus and the Moon. It was always a great sight back in my high school day when I was in the astronomy club.

    ReplyDelete

.