my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Thursday, March 26th, 2009
3:10 A.M.



Before I begin with my Thursday list of 13, I wanted to vent a little bit. In yesterday's Yah*oo News, I read this:

    AIG executive resigns on NY Times op-ed page--

    CHARLOTTE, N.C. – An American International Group Inc. executive who received a bonus worth more than $742,000 after taxes has resigned publicly — in an Op-Ed column in The New York Times. Jake DeSantis, an executive vice president at AIG's Financial Products division, said Wednesday he's leaving the company and will donate his entire bonus to charity. The letter, addressed to AIG's CEO, Edward Liddy, criticized Liddy for, among other things, agreeing to the payments but then calling the bonuses "distateful" as he testified before disapproving members of Congress. New York-based AIG has been criticized for awarding $165 million in bonuses to employees of the financial products division, a global unit at the root of AIG's downfall.


And I say as the Senator from Iowa a couple of weeks ago...I wish they ALL would resign, leave the country and never re-appear. This is a true black mark on the American people and its country. I know, I know...things like this more than likely have been going on under our noses for generations, but to disgrace the taxpayers' loyalty and deface our economy with such horrendous acts of deceit, RESIGN!!!! Please!!!!








13 Easter Treats & Facts





1] Americans spent nearly $1.9 billion on Easter candy

2] Ninety million chocolate Easter bunnies are produced each year

3] According to 76% of Americans, chocolate bunnies should be eaten ears first

4] Each Easter season, Americans buy more than 700 million Marshmallow Peeps

5] As many as 4.2 million Marshmallow Peeps, bunnies, and other shapes can be made each day

6] In 1953, it took 27 hours to create a Marshmallow Peep. Today it takes six minutes

7] Americans consume 16 billion jellybeans at Easter

8] If all the Easter jellybeans were lined end to end, they would circle the globe nearly three times

9] Jellybeans did not become an Easter tradition until the 1930s. They were probably first made in America by Boston candy maker William Schrafft, who ran advertisements urging people to send jellybeans to soldiers fighting in the Civil War

10] Children indicate their favorite Easter jellybean flavor is cherry

11] Chocolate eggs, the most popular Easter candy, were first made in Europe in the early 1800s

- - -

12] Hot cross buns were among the earliest Easter treats, made by European monks and given to the poor during Lent

13] Pretzels were originally associated with Easter. The twists of a pretzel were thought to resemble arms crossed in prayer


Info courtesy of "Easter Facts"

33 comments :

  1. Great post, as always my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I want all those jelly beans! And I'm sure my daughter would be thrilled with the peeps.

    I couldn't agree more with you on your lead in vent. It is just shameful.

    And finally I must say, I love you easter layout. What a darling little bunny.

    Tabbikat's Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I want all those jelly beans! And I'm sure my daughter would be thrilled with the peeps.

    I couldn't agree more with you on your lead in vent. It is just shameful.

    And finally I must say, I love you easter layout. What a darling little bunny.

    Tabbikat's Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoa, too much candy methinks. but i love my hot cross buns (with butter and honey) and them i won't give up...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candy corn on Halloween and jelly beans on Easter and I don't like either of them. I do like conversation hearts on Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. I'm not a big jellybean person. I go for the chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! It reminds me that I need to get on the ball with my Easter planning!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, of course, chocolate bunnies should be eaten ears first. Who wants to get caught biting a bunny in the butt? (LOL) Okay, possibly Hugh Hefner and his crew . . . (smile)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes, I agree with you, they should all RESIGN! It really boggles the mind that such a company could take a bailout from the government and then turn around and spend some of that money on bonuses. Good for Mr. DeSantis for resigning and donating his bonus, at least he's aware of how wrong it was to even get that bonus!!!!

    Of course bunnies should be eaten ears first....that way they can't hear you eat the rest of them! hehe Would you believe I'd never tasted Marshmallow Peeps until just a couple of years ago? I always assumed they would be way too sweet but oh my, they're yummy!! I so enjoyed reading all of these facts about Easter candy...now I'm craving a Cadbury egg! hehe xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, man. My stomach is now cramping at the thought of all that junk food.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who knew? Well, we haven't bought any Easter candy for a few years now. If we eat any chocolate, it's organic dark for "medicinal purposes" only. :) So we aren't contributing to the chocolate industry much.

    Thanks for your comment on my blog. Happy TT!
    tm

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's great that the area residents help maintain the beaches following spring break. That you shouldn't have to is a given - I've never been able to understand lack of respect for property. Oh, ears first on chocolate rabbits but I lust after mint flavored jelly beans or spearmint leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had to look up in Wikipedia because I don't know what Jellybeans are. I knew the word but couldn't imagine a thing. Doesn't sound very appetizing to me, lol ! Here in most of the European countries we eat little easter eggs in chocolate, filled or not filled and easter bunnies that's it. Of course the colored real eggs too. The Belgian chocolate companies have a lot to do for the moment !

    You scared Rosie ! Your cuckoo just cuckooed, hahaha !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anni,

    Just hearing that they misused billions of dollars makes me furious. The money should have to be paid back to the US taxpayers and they should all be sent to prison for misusing government funds. They knew exactly what they were doing and didn't hesitate to do it. When they asked the government for the bailout, they planned even then to line their own pockets. Now, off my soapbox. LOL

    Love your Easter trivia. I love jellybeans, but won't be having any because of my diabetes. Interesting fact about them being sent to soldiers during the Civil War.

    I wonder how much the recession will affect the profits of the candymakers this year.

    I'm going to tell Dwight about the honey. It's definitely worth a try. Thanks for the tip.

    Have a great day.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Easter is kind of sad for me this year...it's the first year without both my parents and Mom had always made me a basket ...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally agree, chocolate bunnies should be consumed ears first, and they should be solid milk chocolate and they should be Russell Stover brand. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A fun and informative post. I suppose we're not far behind in the UK in the consumer fest Easter has become.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I refused to get Easter candy this year, so my dd got it for herself.

    Anni, by now you should know that I will always follow your comments back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. easter candy is the best. thanks for the fun facts

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good Mornin' Again Anni,
    I had to drop down and read what you had to vent about. I'm with you, they all need to leave teh country and starty living like the poor folks in some of those foreign countries do and then they will realize the rue value of a dollar. Enjoyed the Easter Treats and Facts. I won't be able to have any Easter candy unless I find some that is sugar-free. Take caer my friend adn ahve a great Thursday. May GOD Bless you and yours,
    Love,
    Karen H>

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great list, now I'm hungry!
    I love Jelly beans & chocolate anything, peeps not so much, they're my mother's thing & my kids' thing, I'm not sure why.
    You're definitely right about the bigwigs with their bonuses, they need to resign.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great list, now I'm hungry!
    I love Jelly beans & chocolate anything, peeps not so much, they're my mother's thing & my kids' thing, I'm not sure why.
    You're definitely right about the bigwigs with their bonuses, they need to resign.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was revising my outtake yesterday, where Eric learns he's not allowed to throw chocolate eggs into the crowd anymore.

    That's about the extent of my Easter candy knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  24. mmmmm Chocolate... Can't wait for the Beaster Bunny to get here. All diets are officially suspended for Easter weekend. It's the law, I think LOL
    Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, hard to believe we spend that much and eat that much candy. Hmm. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the Buddha quote.

    I just don't "get" peeps. They creep me out.

    Thanks for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I always think I don't want to eat a Peep but they lure me in...

    Excellent 13 :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Interesting post. Trivia I never would have know otherwise. Thanks for sharing..I'm a chocolate person..yum..

    ReplyDelete
  29. You can keep the Peeps and jelly beans. Personally, I'm hooked on Dove Truffle Eggs and Whoppers Mini Robin Eggs. Great T13!

    http://wordtrix.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow...well, they wont be getting money from me this year. Im on Nutrsystems! Happy TT and thanks for stopping by. Great info:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very cool facts!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Funny - your mention of hot cross buns made me think of my friend's twin 4 year olds who showed me what they learned from their older brother:

    Hot (shake hand like it is burnt)...
    Cross (cross your arms and hold your opposite shoulder)...
    Buns (point to your butt)!!!!
    then giggle uncontrollably and repeat over and over and over and over

    ReplyDelete
  33. What an interesting post. Now I'm hungry. Here's my 13. http://collectingmythoughts.blogspot.com/2009/03/thursday-thirteen-little-things-will.html

    ReplyDelete

.