“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Wednesday, December 31st, 2008
5:30 A.M.
My sister's 66th birthday today!



Join -Wordful Wednesday


Ten Years ago today they opened the cockpit of one of my favorite modern military planes. As a member of the Air Museum, I was invited to attend the showing. On any given normal day, the planes are sealed shut, and the windows 'white-washed'. I was chosen to have the opportunity to actually climb aboard and sit to pose for a photo op while 'piloting' the infamous super sonic jet!! I was thrilled as you can see by the expression on my face. I can't begin to tell you what it felt like to touch the instruments and the joy stick!! Naturally my pose was a 'thumbs up' stance as I readied for take off. [I wish!!] Alas, the plane was grounded. Oh well, again I must say it is a dream to fly one.

[from Wikipedia] The Lockheed SR-71 was an advanced, long-range, Mach 3 strategic reconnaissance aircraft developed from the Lockheed A-12 and YF-12A aircraft by the Lockheed Skunk Works. The SR-71 was unofficially named the Blackbird, and called the Habu by its crews. Clarence "Kelly" Johnson was responsible for many of the design's innovative concepts. A defensive feature of the aircraft was its high speed and operating altitude, whereby, if a surface-to-air missile launch were detected, standard evasive action was simply to accelerate. The SR-71 line was in service from 1964 to 1998, with 12 of the 32 aircraft being destroyed in accidents, though none were lost to enemy action






~...end Wordful Wednesday
[comment here if you'd like to skip the rest of my day's blog]





<><><>

HOME TOWN NEWS
[December 30th, 2008]

I couldn't wait to voice my opinion on this after hearing it late last night on ESPN news!! My home town [well, I consider it my home town since I lived there for over forty years!] news made me a happy camper. Bowlen finally took off the skirt of his and showed us fans that he does have a pair hanging!! [Sorry 'bout that expression, but we disgruntled fans were beginning to wonder. And I AM a fan, I needed to talk like that just this once.]

Since this last Sunday, I've been waiting with bated breath. I personally thought it was time. Time to move on and get a new coat of paint. The paint job? It would entail a bit of blue and orange. Chip away the old paint. Get the coverage that was needed, and get rid of the old paint that was beginning to fade. The old paint that was fading? Mike Shanahan!! Sure he was good. He was bright, he was fetching, he was just the coat of colors needed. Even tho, if you are a Bronco fan, you perhaps remember all the alleged 'behind the back-stabbing' Mr. Shanahan did with the head coach at the time....Dan Reeves. Shanahan and Elway were accused of insubordination and conspiring of game plays in the distant past. Behind Reeves' back while Shanahan was assistant coach. At that time, he was fired by Reeves. I am almost positive that Elway had a lot to do with getting Mr. Bowlen to then fire Reeves and hire Shanahan as head coach. This shows me that we as fans must continue to realize and remember that any football team of the professional NFL is nothing but only a franchise. A franchise. A business, and a multi-million dollar investment. I'm choking on the thought, even, of his $20 million remaining on his contract!!!

I remember my 'fanship'. It goes way back. Way back to the Broncos' since the mid 1960's!! I've followed them even when they were dubbed the worst team in the West Division history. I've followed them through two Super Bowl wins. All with the Elway/Shanahan team. I was stunned when Kubiak left. Tho, mighty happy to know that Houston hired him as their head coach. I was even more stunned this past year when I realized that one of the key players, Jason Elam, was no longer part of the team. After Elway retired, Shanahan was given complete full-reign of the firing and hiring. Which, for me and my logic, is not a good thing. That would be only ONE person's judgment and it proved me right. Not a winning team since.

Anyway, after Sunday's huge loss to San Diego Chargers, vying for a possible position to go to the divistion playoff games [by the way, the season's first match with the Chargers, Denver won...but I think it was because of a bad call by the line judges! Chargers had that game won also!]. The loss was greater than I could imagine. San Diego scored 52 points against Broncos'. That's insane.

Again if the team as a franchise, a money making investment, doesn't come through for years and years like with the Broncos, it's time to start at the top. Chip away the old paint and sand it all down nice and smooth. All to begin anew. A new coat of blue and orange trim!!!

Of course now the specualtions begin. Mr. Bowlen needs to find the right shade of Bronco Blue and Orange Crush Orange. I'm thinking Elway as the top coat of paint? Maybe even sand off some of the other smaller chips on the sideline....replace the Orange Crush Orange with ummmmmmmmm.....[my very favorite] - good ol' number 87?!!!! Offensive coach/coordinator could perhaps be ----you guessed it. McCaffery? Ya, Bowlen, go for the winning historical figures if you can get 'em. I know, I know. Anni, it's just a pipe dream. But, hey...I can dream.

Either case I think, unlike the Coloradoans, that he did a good thing. Shanahan needed to go. Now make sure you just pick out the right brand of paint and get the most professional painters that will repaint the house that Elway built!!! [Yes, I know it's now a new place --Invesco Field instead of Mile High Stadium. :o( ]

photo courtesy of Y*hoo News

39 comments :

  1. Have a very happy new year my friend, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year and all best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love museums and would be especially fun to be at one that I had a passion for. OKC fortunately has some good ones and we love to go. I do see your excitment at getting to sit in that plane!
    Love your header! Have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picture! Your sisters 66th BD today! How nice of you to remember and post that.

    I like your post on movies too, I did one like that recently as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy new year anni! i hope this year will bring you peace and joy and create lots of lovable memories....

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW that is so cool... You are lucky! Happy New Years.!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish we had better museums around here - That's what I go to DC for!

    Thanks for stopping by - and Happy New Year to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fortunate to be able to do that! Have a wonderful New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year, Anni! I love your picture in the jet and I found your comments about the Broncos interesting. I don't follow the behind the scenes stuff on any team, just watch the games.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is too cool. My grandparents got me a "fly along" for Christmas so on Friday I get to fly and help fly a Cessna. I can't wait. They are letting me bring my camera so shots from the sky are going to be awesome.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look almost as excited as one of my boys would be to be able to "get in" the plane! I wish we had a better museum here and I wish everyone could get IN the planes! Have a wonderful New Year's!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a wonderful opportunity! have a great new year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by my blog...you are absolutely adorable...
    What a cool picture!
    Happy New Year to you.

    I'll let coach craig know he has inspired a new hockey fan! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great picture and story! Ten years - in some ways a lifetime ago, and in others, seems like yesterday.

    You're a HOOT, Anni! Love the editorial on the Broncos. My son agrees with you, but DC is sorry to see Shanahan go. I didn't realize all of that about his power until DC told me last night - I think it's a bit of conflict of interest! Your dream time sounds awesome - just don't bring Romo back! Hey, maybe Kubiak will come - hehe.. His son plays for old CSU, you may know.

    Well, for someone who doesn't watch the games because they make me so nervous, I seem to have made quite a long comment on the subject!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an awesome opportunity! Love the header with the martini glass! Too funny! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pictures! My father is a pilot, so airplanes hold a special place for me.

    Right now I am in AZ for Christmas/New Year's vacation and my inlaws live not to far from the boneyard where the old aircraft are "retired". I think we'll take a walk and show then to my two year old today!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look like a natural in that cockpit. I worked at Raytheon for years, so we made many of commuication radios, for the Navy and Air Force. A hundred years ago, I worked on NASA Space Program and got to meet some of the astronuts. That was a thrill too.

    Hugs,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anni,

    I love the photo of you in the cockpit of the plane. You would have made a terrific pilot. You look very natural sitting there, giving the "Thumbs Up."

    As for football, I don't know much about it except the names of the teams and the name of some of the coaches and players. I've played hockey and baseball but football never piqued my interest. However, hubby watches it and I do hope the new coat of paint is a good one.

    Happy New Year, my friend.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's wonderful that you were able to sit in the cockpit and you take a great picture!

    I found your blog via Wordless Wednesday and yes, you are a HOOT!

    You are now on list lady - blog list that is ;). Have a safe and very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an awesome opportunity! I love planes and wanted to be an Air Force pilot when I was growing up. Too bad I'm blind as a bat. They don't let you fly if you wear glasses/contacts. Boo.

    Anyway, Happy New Year! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, cool! A new blog design!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's so cool you're into planes like that!

    Have a very Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy New Year! You look like a true pilot there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW!! Thats great!!!! That absolutely looks like a once in a lifetime moment. Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's a great picture. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Planes fascinate me! My dad works with them.. and I just love them..

    Great Pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That looks like so much fun. We've been to the Museum of Naval Aviation in Florida twice and the boys just loved it. All of them. Including my hubby who climbed aboard all that he could. Happy Birthday to your sis.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a fun picuture!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your blog is too cute! Thanks for coming by to visit!

    We had airplanes the whole time I was growing up, so I am no stranger to the world of a Flying Fanatic! My dad and I went flying most weekends and he taught me how to land (in case of emergency!) when I was only 10 years old.

    I'll be stopping by again real soon to see what else youre up to!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks like that was a good day! Is the museum in Corpus? Have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the airplane! How great! Now it can take you flying into 2009!lol I will have to do a post on the airplanes I flown in and piloted. Have a Happy New Year Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for visiting. I love your photo. We have an air museum near us...the College Park Aviation Museum (MD) lots of fun for kids and grownups too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anni,Happy New Year to you my friend and Happy birthday to your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, lucky you! We have Hill Airforce Base up here and a great museum, but I've never been allowed to sit in the planes. HOWEVER, there was a WWII air show here, a few years ago, and I got to sit in a B-17!

    Have a great day, Anni!

    Blessings,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm terrified of flying but maybe if YOU were the pilot, I'd be ok!! hehe Love that picture of you, it sure does look like you were just itching to get that plane off the ground:-)

    I've never watched a football game except for a few minutes here and there so don't know much about it at all. I can understand, though, why the fans (you included) were getting fed up with everything that was going on with the Broncos. Hopefully the new changes will be the right ones!!

    Wishing you and yours all the very best that 2009 has to offer, dear Anni. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  36. How COOL is that? My dad was in the Air Force, so I have a thing for air shows and planes (and men in flight suits)!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Seems you have reason to celebrate and I'm happy for you ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete

.