my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Tuesday, December 30th, 2008
5:00 A.M.




Join Here

WATCH --


Sunrises, movies, "our 'watch' cat", and YES WE CAN!!

My first passion is to watch movies. Bud and I used to have a habit of going to the movies every Friday. We just don't do it any more. For us, recently...like in the last year or so, we've come to realize that the movie writers and the movie genres are just not up to being worth the money or the time and effort sitting at the theater, watching the same stuff over and over again, but with different actors. The action movies are so similar it's hard to tell them apart. A lot of movies are insipid but they're big 'draws' because of who's in it even tho the script is mundane. The pay that the 'big celebrities' get is atrocious when the rest of the world suffers from an economic crisis....writer's strikes....you name it. But, I still LOVE TO WATCH Movies!!!! Now, we wait until they are released on DVD. And most often we even wait longer and go to the video stores like Blockbuster and buy the pre-previewed that they eventually sell to the public at a cost of 4 movies for $20. If they're the more recent movies within the last year's release, they are 3 for $20. Which in the long run saves us about sixty bucks!! I'm all for that. When we went to the grocery store yesterday, we walked over to the video store that is in the same strip mall and found these. Of course, you can tell which two of the three I picked out. hehehehehe Bud, he picked out the movie "Mongol". An history of Genghus Khan. I personally never even heard of this movie being at the theaters. LOL Me? I go for comedies and young kids' movies. I picked out Wall * E and Tropic Thunder with Ben Stiller [where the movie is about producing a movie of war and they're on location ---actually unbeknown to others that there is a REAL War going on!!]


- - -

I wrote this yesterday after knowing that we were going to have a sunny day, while I stopped to watch the sun rise. Finally!!!!




What's this? What's this peeking through the tree?
Forever and a day it was hidden from me...
Weeks upon weeks Weeks upon weeks; times three!
A December day, this warm globe'll guarantee
I'll now be dancing in the streets with so much glee.
Today in my heart, there is ecstacy...
No grayness today, I'm shouting: "It's about time! Whoop-eeee!"

Sky of blue surrounds this sphere. Can you see?
It surprised us both this morn'; Bud and me!
Me thinks, no ...I know you all hafta agree...
This thing peeking through the tree?
It's given us bliss, the two of us decree.
What? You say it is blinding thee?

The sun, the sun, I foresee!!!
Yellow, and round, well I'll be!!...just, fiddle dee dee!
Fresh and so needed I bellow out, "GEE!"..
"Sun, stay around a while", I shouted my plea...
Today, this golden orb is shining down on me.
FINALLY!!!

- - -

Ever since I was 18 I have not missed the televised swearing in of a new president of the United States. And I plan to not miss this one on Tuesday, January 20th. I've voted eleven times in my life and this is only the 2nd time that I voted for the 'winner'. So, I'm more than anxious to see this one ...historical in so many ways. Even when I was working outside the home, I used to take a portable TV to work with me and have it on so I wouldn't miss it. Yep, I'm just that way. Now, truly, oftentimes I have admitted that I'm not happy with the government, I have a right to voice my opinion. Displeasure and elation of our country at the same time is what democracy is all about. Anyway, in order to keep from becoming political again, I promise, I will be glued to the TV --and I WILL watch history being made!!

- - -

And lastly for the week's prompt, our watch cat! I swear, animals have a sense of hearing that absolutely 'bloggles' the mind!!! Here Winston is sound asleep. In the living room for heaven's sake....and out in the yard is another feline from the 'hood!!! How he heard it, I'll never know. But, he comes running in all slinky-like....crawling low and quickly...to the dining room window, and places his front paws stealthily up on the window sill and peers through the blind slats....lo and behold...another cat!!! They watched each other for some time and low growls came from our watch cat! Winston, our guard, guard, guarding guardian of the stoop. He really wasn't all too pleased either as you can see by the body language....his ears are lowered and ready to pounce if the dude comes any closer!! Ooooops...glass between 'em.

33 comments :

  1. I enjoyed your post and will be adding you to my blogs to follow!
    I agree. I don't go to the movies anymore. I just find it more comfortable at home. LOL I see we're neighbors of sorts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i too love to watch movies and watch the glorious scenes that we see on our daily travels.

    hope you have a great new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Anni... I love movies too... hardly ever go but sometimes a movie beckons me... I went last week to see Australia... You will love it because it is done like an old time movie... however it is long... Remember movie intermissions??? This one needed it. LOL I also love kids movies and comedies... I LOVED Wall-E... I don't like to be tense or to scared in the movies... Life already does that too me... LOL
    Have a great day

    (((HUGS)))
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. aaah, a cat and it's senses... if only i had them.... gosh, give me dvd's any day. i can't sit still long enough to watch at the movies, i'd NEVER see a whole movie. that pause button is the best thing in the world! and now then, what makes me think you're glad the sun is out. such joy!!! so beautiful and sunny to read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great poem my friend. I love to watch movies, and eat yummy popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fully enjoyed that poem. As for movies, I prefer the old ones from the 1940s, both US and British. Can't get enough of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the poem, it reminds me of my grandmother, thanks for your thoughts and enjoy your new years festivities..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only very seldom go to the cinema anymore, first it has become so expensive and second I can see them later on DVD. Only movies with beautiful landscapes or sceneries are worthwhile to look at a very big screen !
    Cats are terrible ! I know when Mr. Gattino arrives even when I can't see him because Arthur recognizes the noise of the car and that from quite far away ! I am OK now, still a little caughing !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wholeheartedly agree with your take on "going to" the movies, Anni!
    Nevertheless, we went to see "Marly and Me" the other evening ... Paid $17 for 2 small popcorns, 1 Coke and a bottled water. The gal next to me was furiously texting 90% of the time, some wee one was loudly voicing his/her displeasure ... and I wound up bawling my eyes out, walking out amongst a 100 strangers looking like a raccoon!
    Gimme my pj's, homemade popcorn and the "pause" button anyday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love watching good films, but we also watch at home as the theatres are just too expensive. Happy HOT day Anni! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anni,

    We rented Wall-E and the boys and I watched it on the 26th when they stayed over. You'll enjoy it, I'm sure. I'm going to look up Tropic Thunder to see if it is for rent. We also rented Narnia:Prince Caspian, though I liked the first one better. Dwight and the boys liked it. I chose The Bucket List and it was good. I like Morgan Freeman in almost any movie. Still to be watched is the Spiderwick Chronicles, so I can't give you an opinion on that one.

    Going to the show here costs a fortune. If we take the boys, it costs $60. However, I have 2 free passes, so we may go sometime while the boys are off school for Chrismtas break.

    I love your photo of the sunrise and your poem. You are a talented lady, my friend.

    I too plan on watching the swearing in of Obama. I am very interested in this history making election of yours. Our Governor General has a big decision to make before the end of January. We shall see what happens.

    Take care and enjoy the sun.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. WE WATCH MOVIES AT HOME.WE GET THEM BY MAIL.THIS WAY WE CAN PICK WHAT WE WANT WHEN WE WANT.I JUST DON'T HAVE THE ENERGY TO GO TO THE THEATER.BESIDES,I HAVE THE SMALLEST BLADDER IN THE WORLD AND I ALWAYS MISS AT LEAST PART OF THE MOVIE TWICE.UGHHH.AT HOME I JUST PAUSE IT.TA DA........HAPPY NEW YEAR SWEET LADY...ANN

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your posts are always sooooo full and full of variety... I just love coming here. And OooOoOooo.. *clapping* for the new (New Years) look.

    I don't go to the movies very much at all. It used to be due to finances and me being prone to panic attacks. Wait.. it still might be that. But anyhoo.. we also look for those bargains at the video store. (Or rent them then burn them. Shh.)

    Wall-E is the BEST Disney movie in I don't know how long. Even better than Lion King. Did I say that???

    You KNOW I'll be watching the inauguration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Movies-not a fan, Poor Hubby practically has to tie me down to watch 'em.
    Sunrise-Bravo!
    Sam is our retired watch kitty. The girls have the duty now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a "watch cat" too. Quincy. I'm don't know what she's watching though. I live in an apartment where the front door goes to a shared hallway. There's a crack of about 1/2" between the door and the floor. She spends about an hour a day peering under it. I have no idea what she's seeing. Pug used to do that too. She's just taken over for him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to have a "weather cat." Anytime a storm was coming, she would start slinking on her belly and looking for a place to hide. She was never wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The new look of your blog is nice and I love the header.
    Happy New Year to you and Bud.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awwwwwwww... that is sO sad that this is only the 2nd time you voted for the winner! LOL! I'm trying to think now ... how many times I have voted... my first was Jimmy Carter in 76... so that makes 8? I think so -- 8 elections. Carter won... I've had 4 winning elections that I can remember ... and I MIGHT have had 6. I don't remember if I voted for Reagan... or who ran against him! (oh that's BAD!) I know I voted for Dukakis once - who did he run against? OY! I just know I never voted for a Bush! LOL!

    I'm GLAD you get to see your winner sworn in this time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Soooooo you KNOW I had to go do some homework! LOL! I DID vote for Reagan - once! I voted for Carter the first time, but then became disheartened with him. I STILL believe he is a good GOOD man - but not presidential material. So I voted for Reagan Carter's 2nd time up -- and then I was in the MAJOR MINORITY that voted for MONDALE in 84!!! I LOVED Mondale when I lived in Minnesota - and I really did think he would make an awesome president... but it was NOT to be! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A fun post! Enjoyed it all, every bit. I'm not a movie fan, either, even though I was in the past when movies seemed to have a lot more meat and not so much 'in your face' garbage. A sure sign of my age!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful post ... filled with WORDS explaining your associations to WATCH for HoTs. As you know, I was ALMOST wordless with my collage today. I did leave a Happy New Year's gift on each of my blogs ... perhaps AFTER your visit, but it will be there for a while as a sticky post.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Anni,

    That sounds like a good deal on movies, especially for newly released ones. We never go to the movies as they have gotten so high. Like you, we just don't think they are worth what they cost.

    I enjoyed your poem about the sun coming out finally. It's been pretty warm here the last couple of days compared to last week.

    Take care and you and Bud have a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't recall last time I was in a movie theater.
    I can't even recall the last dvd I rented oh now I call my son rented "Dark Knight"

    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
  25. We seldom go to the theater either. We joined Netflix because it's a lot cheaper and you can keep them as long as you want.

    Great post~love the part about your cat. Too funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am a sucker for Blockbuster and Hollywood Video (until it closed) - I can't pass one without going inside - Pre-viewed movies are the way to go. I might be insane, but I am actually comtemplating going into DC on January 20th ! Probably won't be anywheres close but at least I would be there! This area is going to be so busy - thank goodness for the subway.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear Anni ~~ I love movies too, but watch on TV or DVD. My brother took me to see "Walk the Line" a couple of years ago in a theatre. I want to see "Australia" but may wait for the DVD. I was pleased to see one of your commenters enjoyed it.
    Thanks so much for your Christmas wishes and New Year also. I hope that your 2009 will be a really great year for you. Take care,
    Love and Hugs, Merle.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I don't do movies - except at home, and then they have to be really good ones.

    LOVE the story about your cat. Too funny.

    I did that first sentence meme last year and it was really fun.

    I'm playing catch-up now! Believe it or not, I've never even been inside the Stanley Hotel - we were going to do that this time, but didn't make it again. I'll be writing about the get-away after I finish the family reunion and Christmas!

    How about the Broncos news today???!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. hi there...We too are movie watchers!! and love oyur ryming verse very pretty picture too!! love a watchful cat!! we had one that chsed our husky to no end we gave her to Grizzly's mom now and she loves her.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Anni,
    WALL-E is wonderful! We just rented it a few nights ago as well.
    Loved it!
    Love the story of Winston. Too cute. Chestnut sits at the DR window for hours waiting for other cats or birds or frogs to go by. LOL! I know what you mean. It is funny...:)

    Have a wonderful and blessed New Year!
    ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  31. GN Annie, I just wanted to drop by and wish you a Happy New Years.

    Hugs,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete

.